• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did you know

Started by Flobbito, March 08, 2019, 02:02:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flobbito

That the first three state champs of 2019: Marion, Batesville, Ashdown all played down a classification this year from where their football teams played?   Should make for a fun topic here.

RunninJoe

Not by choice, though. Some are trying to make it seem as though these teams dropped a classification so they could prosper. That's not how it went down.

Flobbito

Quote from: RunninJoe on March 08, 2019, 02:03:59 pm
Not by choice, though. Some are trying to make it seem as though these teams dropped a classification so they could prosper. That's not how it went down.

I probably should have noted that in the OP, AAA chose who dropped.  I'm sure there are plenty of teams from those classifications that are a bit frustrated with the AAA.

beach bum

March 08, 2019, 02:59:55 pm #3 Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:02:09 pm by beach bum
Who cares.... Posts like these are completly intended to discredit the titles these kids earned and worked their butts off for. This is how the AAA did things so again who cares. What were these teams supposed to do? Say no thanks AAA we'll play up? There should be one less classification anyway. Then we'd really have a lot of people complaining. Football should stop at 6A and the other sports should stop at 5A

Ice Water

Just because football starts counting at 2 doesn't mean these teams are playing down.  There are 6 football classifcations. There are 6 basketball classications. Marion plays in the 2nd largest in both sports. Batesville plays in the 3rd largest in both. Ashdown plays in the 4th largest in both.  If anything, these schools whining about people "playing down" are playing down themselves in football.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ice Water on March 08, 2019, 03:48:29 pm
Just because football starts counting at 2 doesn't mean these teams are playing down.  There are 6 football classifcations. There are 6 basketball classications. Marion plays in the 2nd largest in both sports. Batesville plays in the 3rd largest in both. Ashdown plays in the 4th largest in both.  If anything, these schools whining about people "playing down" are playing down themselves in football.

That's a great point

boss85

March 08, 2019, 07:11:28 pm #6 Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:14:50 pm by boss85
Quote from: beach bum on March 08, 2019, 02:59:55 pm
Who cares.... Posts like these are completly intended to discredit the titles these kids earned and worked their butts off for. This is how the AAA did things so again who cares. What were these teams supposed to do? Say no thanks AAA we'll play up? There should be one less classification anyway. Then we'd really have a lot of people complaining. Football should stop at 6A and the other sports should stop at 5A
I did not take this as intended to discredit these teams. More of a statement of opposition to the re classing by the AAA. This 2 year re class is the 3rd different way they have done it in a row. 2 re classes ago all teams were the same in football as in other sports. Then the re class before the current one was the blended experiment which confused most and infuriated others. Now they have done away with both of those options along with 7A. Most of the changes were intended to help with travel. In some instances the travel is worse now than it was 4 years ago. Keep it simple AAA. Make all sports the same. But some would not like that either. AAA needs some sensible people making decisions. But that's not happening.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: boss85 on March 08, 2019, 07:11:28 pm
I did not take this as intended to discredit these teams. More of a statement of opposition to the re classing by the AAA. This 2 year re class is the 3rd different way they have done it in a row. 2 re classes ago all teams were the same in football as in other sports. Then the re class before the current one was the blended experiment which confused most and infuriated others. Now they have done away with both of those options along with 7A. Most of the changes were intended to help with travel. In some instances the travel is worse now than it was 4 years ago. Keep it simple AAA. Make all sports the same. But some would not like that either. AAA needs some sensible people making decisions. But that's not happening.

I kinda like the fact that instead of letting football decide everything they've split that sport off....

Missco

Arkansas needs 6 classes in football and 5 in basketball. In all reality could get by with 5 in fb and 4 in bb

Rocket23

Talk to your superintendents.  They are the AAA.

OlGuyWicker

Quote from: Missco on March 08, 2019, 09:38:52 pm
Arkansas needs 6 classes in football and 5 in basketball. In all reality could get by with 5 in fb and 4 in bb
Why i less in basketball?  There are many schools who have basketball but not football so wouldn't it make more sense to have more in basketball than football?  With a smaller classification for most of the non football schools like it used to be. 

sevenof400

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 08, 2019, 10:24:17 pm
Talk to your superintendents.  They are the AAA.

But some superintendents are more superintendent than others......

beach bum

March 09, 2019, 03:28:04 pm #12 Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:32:59 pm by beach bum
Quote from: OlGuyWicker on March 09, 2019, 03:05:58 pm
Why i less in basketball?  There are many schools who have basketball but not football so wouldn't it make more sense to have more in basketball than football?  With a smaller classification for most of the non football schools like it used to be.

Because basketball only requires 5 on the court at a time when football requires 11 for your team.... Plus even at small schools you need at least a handful of guys that only play 1 way in football to limit your 2 way players. Not every small school has that luxury. So football even in 2A and 3A you need about 15 to 18 minimum in a game that see the field to feel good about things. Again, not every school is that lucky and may play as many as 8 or 9 both ways. 7A essentially no one plays both ways. Enrollment becomes less magnified in a sport that requires much less players. Basketball I see some teams play as little as 6 players in a game depending on their style and potential foul trouble. You can easily get away with one less classification in basketball. Enrollment matters very much so in basketball, just the nature of the amount of players negates it slightly compared to football.

Go look at a lineman group in a good 5A, 6A, or 7A football program and then go look at the lineman at most 2A or 3A schools and it will answer your question for you.

SouthpawSensation

But there are a lot more schools that play basketball and don't play football. Four classes would mean a lot of congestion.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Flobbito on March 08, 2019, 02:02:09 pm
That the first three state champs of 2019: Marion, Batesville, Ashdown all played down a classification this year from where their football teams played?   Should make for a fun topic here.
You failed to mention that Fort Smith Northside played 7A football but won the state titles in 6A basketball ...

motivate

Quote from: beach bum on March 08, 2019, 02:59:55 pm

Isn't there more schools that play basketball than football. So really we should have 6A for basketball and 5A for football. Its a joke how many teams make the state tournament for football in the first place. I've seen teams with 2 wins make state in football.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: motivate on March 09, 2019, 10:27:29 pm
Isn't there more schools that play basketball than football. So really we should have 6A for basketball and 5A for football. Its a joke how many teams make the state tournament for football in the first place. I've seen teams with 2 wins make state in football.

6a used to send all 16 schools 🤷

Central Ark

Heard that the next cycle, the AAA will have the top 24 schools as their own classification, then the next 32.

beach bum

Quote from: motivate on March 09, 2019, 10:27:29 pm

What does that have to do with basketball? Just cause football does not have their postseason right has nothing to do with the obvious that enrollment is not quite as magnified in a sport that requires 5 players compared to 11-22 players in football depending on 2 way starters.... Yes, there are more basketball schools but........

Let's say you have two schools/ one with 375 grades 10-12/ the other with 600 grades 10-12

The sport that requires 22 means the school with 375 will be at a massive disadvantage compared to a sport which only takes 5 players

When County Line beat Booneville this year in basketball as well as Nevada beat Magnolia twice who were both larger schools than themselves as the 1A schools I did not see it as a big deal because its basketball.

When a school like Des Arc only loses by 1 point in football to Bauxite who had a decent season in the 7-4A I find it a big deal that 2A Des Arc hung with them. When a 2A school beats a 4A school in non conference in basketball I don't see it as a big deal really. I'm not sure how people aren't seeing enrollment is a huge determining factor in a sport like football.

Missco

In basketball enrollment doesn't really matter. Football is totally different. Arkansas needs 4 or 5 classes in basketball at most.

croboostbusted

Quote from: Missco on March 10, 2019, 02:11:28 pm
In basketball enrollment doesn't really matter. Football is totally different. Arkansas needs 4 or 5 classes in basketball at most.

This is, arguably, the most uninformed thing I've read on this site.

Population of school absolutely matters. Just because you only play 5 doesn't mean that the size of the pool that you pull the 5 from doesn't matter. If you only pull from 400 students the school that pulls from 1200 students will, statistically, have a much better chance of pulling highly talented players.

OB11

Quote from: croboostbusted on March 12, 2019, 12:59:23 pm
This is, arguably, the most uninformed thing I've read on this site.

Population of school absolutely matters. Just because you only play 5 doesn't mean that the size of the pool that you pull the 5 from doesn't matter. If you only pull from 400 students the school that pulls from 1200 students will, statistically, have a much better chance of pulling highly talented players.

I think the point he was trying to make is that in basketball, the gap between enrollment numbers matters less than it does in football. Not that it doesn't matter at all. Case in point is ICC this year. They could no question compete with schools in higher classifications but if you had them try to field a football team they would get massacred against those same schools.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas