• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Explaining the Super Bowl to 5A fans

Started by JessieP, February 07, 2019, 12:06:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

February 07, 2019, 12:06:05 pm Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:51:07 pm by JessieP
I know a lot of people across America and even more so among Arkansas 5A football fans are confused after watching this past Super Bowl. What you saw was a strange phenomenon often referred to as Defense. Those times you saw the ball carrier being brought to the ground before crossing the goal line, that's legal! Those players knocking the pass out of the air before it was caught or throwing the receiver down immediately after he caught it, that's legal as well. Did you notice how the defensive backs did more than provide slalom post for the receivers to weave through on their way to a long Hudl highlight?   

Defense is a part of football that exist in many levels and used to be practiced right here in Arkansas as well. Mater Dei, generally considered the best high school team in America last season, allowed an average of 13.5 points a game while scoring an average of 42. They had one loss where the other team scored 41. Head Coach Gary McKnight was quoted in the OC Registrar as saying "I'm sick to my stomach about it. Not so much the losing, that's part of the game, but allowing 41 points, that's not a good football team that gives up 41 points. Had we won 42-41 I wouldn't be as sick but almost as sick". My point is this, If we are ever going to be given the respect we deserve on a National stage someone needs to step up and teach defense. 81-56 is a score no one should be proud of.

Overdahill

I have a mental picture of Jim Mora, saying "Defense? You kidding me? ;D

beach bum

And people have the nerve to say soccer is boring cause there is "no scoring" ..... Super Bowl = snooze fest ..... Super Bowl = horribly executed offense

JessieP

Quote from: beach bum on February 07, 2019, 05:34:33 pm
And people have the nerve to say soccer is boring cause there is "no scoring" ..... Super Bowl = snooze fest ..... Super Bowl = horribly executed offense

I agree 100% about the soccer part. One of the reasons soccer hasn't caught fire here in America is because people falsely call it boring. In any sport stopping someone from scoring can be every bit as exciting as scoring. You're wrong about the SB. It was great defensive play much more than offensive miscues.

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on February 07, 2019, 04:46:12 pm
I have a mental picture of Jim Mora, saying "Defense? You kidding me? ;D

+1, Now that's funny. People seem to miss the point of scoring over 60 is nothing to be proud of if it's a case where you had to score 60 to win. I know it's a different time but when I played, before face mask, if we won a game 80 something to 60 something our coach would be cursing and throwing things in the locker room after the game, "You gave up 60 points? You sorry sad sacks should go get right in bed, get some sleep because come 7am tomorrow you're gonna be running. Don't make any plans for Sunday either. 60 points? Get out of here, I can't stand to look at you". Granted, if a coach said that in 2019 the coach, school, district and their relatives would get sued and the parents would demand a safe space and grief counseling. Then again Overdahill and I grew up in an age where kids were faced with...what's that word again? Oh yeah, CONSEQUENCES. 

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: JessieP on February 07, 2019, 08:01:35 pm
+1, Now that's funny. People seem to miss the point of scoring over 60 is nothing to be proud of if it's a case where you had to score 60 to win. I know it's a different time but when I played, before face mask, if we won a game 80 something to 60 something our coach would be cursing and throwing things in the locker room after the game, "You gave up 60 points? You sorry sad sacks should go get right in bed, get some sleep because come 7am tomorrow you're gonna be running. Don't make any plans for Sunday either. 60 points? Get out of here, I can't stand to look at you". Granted, if a coach said that in 2019 the coach, school, district and their relatives would get sued and the parents would demand a safe space and grief counseling. Then again Overdahill and I grew up in an age where kids were faced with...what's that word again? Oh yeah, CONSEQUENCES.
You are right I think I grew up in that age to

Overdahill

February 08, 2019, 09:21:52 am #6 Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:34:59 am by Overdahill
yep, I remember JessieP and I talking to David about how slinging the rock was gonna take down the Philistine Defense. Wow, time flies

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on February 08, 2019, 09:21:52 am
yep, I remember JessieP and I talking to David about how slinging the rock was gonna take down the Philistine Defense. Wow, time flies

I hate how history has glossed over the facts pertaining to that little incident. We now know David never actually lived in the Philistine district and Goliath was a roided out freak who was obviously under the influence of narcotic pain medication.

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on February 08, 2019, 08:23:34 pm
I hate how history has glossed over the facts pertaining to that little incident. We now know David never actually lived in the Philistine district and Goliath was a roided out freak who was obviously under the influence of narcotic pain medication.

Coach Devil still claims interference should have been called  ;)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas