• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gosnell open

Started by Missco, January 31, 2019, 09:24:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Missco

Who will be interested in this job?

Rick Swines

One of the worst paying jobs in the state. 210 contract and a $4174 stipend. I bet some young coordinators and small school head coaches apply.  Maybe someone on staff moves up?

Missco

They usually put dean of students or other things with it. However, you are right the stipend straight up is terrible.

Pat Swilling

How were they in the lower levels?  JH? JV?  Community?

Missco

Always before the applicant pool has been decent. Barbaree was also an asst. Principle. The facilities are very nice for a 4A school.

RabAlumni

There is a coach up there in a 3A school currently, who I bet gets the Nod!

Mulerider4Life

I think you are going to have to get a local guy, may not be the most qualified, but that already lives in the area.

OB11

Quote from: RabAlumni on February 01, 2019, 08:44:02 am
There is a coach up there in a 3A school currently, who I bet gets the Nod!

By "up there" I'm assuming you mean a NEA school. There are only a handful of 3A schools around there. Osceola, Manila...Hoxie, Corning would be a stretch.

Missco

Osceola or Crest coach would never leave. The Piggott coach would be a good hire but he isnt going to leave.

OB11

Quote from: Missco on February 01, 2019, 09:00:08 am
Osceola or Crest coach would never leave. The Piggott coach would be a good hire but he isnt going to leave.

Forgot about Piggott. And Rivercrest is 4A which is why I didn't mention them. The head coach there wouldn't leave. OC might though, but I doubt it.

TrenchHogs

Quote from: Missco on February 01, 2019, 08:28:57 am
Always before the applicant pool has been decent. Barbaree was also an asst. Principle. The facilities are very nice for a 4A school.

You need to step out of NEA more..... I am a Gosnell alum but outside of the newer turf and that concession stand, everything on campus at Gosnell is at least 40+ years old. The basketball gym my father played in during the 80's and is one of the smaller 4A gyms in Arkansas....

bigchief72455

Quote from: TrenchHogs on February 01, 2019, 09:09:15 am
You need to step out of NEA more..... I am a Gosnell alum but outside of the newer turf and that concession stand, everything on campus at Gosnell is at least 40+ years old. The basketball gym my father played in during the 80's and is one of the smaller 4A gyms in Arkansas....
I agree. Gosnell is also losing students to other schools. It will be a tough situation to step into. Not sure many local 3A coaches would want to step into that at the moment.

TrenchHogs

Gosnell doesn't have the athletes or depth to be competitive outside of the 4A-3..... It is proven year after year come playoff time. They are usually lucky to advance past round 1 due to seeding from luckily being in a pretty weak 4A-3 (Outside of Rivercrest).

With that being said, I bet they hire someone either from within or from NEA. It will be difficult to get someone to move to NEA from elsewhere in my opinion.

OB11

Quote from: TrenchHogs on February 01, 2019, 09:14:44 am
Gosnell doesn't have the athletes or depth to be competitive outside of the 4A-3..... It is proven year after year come playoff time. They are usually lucky to advance past round 1 due to seeding from luckily being in a pretty weak 4A-3 (Outside of Rivercrest).

With that being said, I bet they hire someone either from within or from NEA. It will be difficult to get someone to move to NEA from elsewhere in my opinion.

And I do believe they prefer their coaches (at least head coaches) to live in the district. Tough sell.

Missco

Gosnell gym is terrible. Worst in their conference other than Cornings or Rivercrests. The football facilities are good.

bigchief72455

Miss. Co. has a lot of schools in it. There might be an assistant coach that would want a shot.

Missco

Most of their coaches live in the area but not necessarily in the district.

Missco

Doubt they have to go asst. route unless its somebody who has also been a head coach earlier like Barbaree. Moody came from McCrory, Carter from Paragould, and Bowen from EPC.

Mulerider4Life

Correct me if I am wrong, but why would Gosnell and Blytheville not eventually consolidate into the same district? It's 5 miles down the road. 

bigchief72455

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 01, 2019, 09:28:10 am
Correct me if I am wrong, but why would Gosnell and Blytheville not eventually consolidate into the same district? It's 5 miles down the road.
It would keep them in 5A for sure. Both schools are losing numbers.

Missco

Lol, heck would freeze over before that happened. Gosnell is really not losing students like ie. Osceola or Blytheville.

RabAlumni

Quote from: OB11 on February 01, 2019, 08:52:22 am
By "up there" I'm assuming you mean a NEA school. There are only a handful of 3A schools around there. Osceola, Manila...Hoxie, Corning would be a stretch.

Correct look for one of those HC's to be named the new HC at Gosnell by April 1st. And No, I do not see the Osceola coach leaving any time soon!

Missco

You are thinking either Sears or Harrell.

OB11

Quote from: RabAlumni on February 01, 2019, 09:50:06 am

Correct look for one of those HC's to be named the new HC at Gosnell by April 1st. And No, I do not see the Osceola coach leaving any time soon!

According to the Magnolia thread on the 5A board, Hooks from Osceola is one of the finalists for that job...

bigchief72455

Quote from: Missco on February 01, 2019, 09:53:30 am
You are thinking either Sears or Harrell.
Sears isn't going to leave Hoxie.

Missco

I wouldnt think so but you never know.

OB11

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 01, 2019, 09:56:31 am
Sears isn't going to leave Hoxie.

Not for the Gosnell job anyway. Would be very surprised if he left Hoxie for anything.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Missco on February 01, 2019, 09:47:13 am
Lol, heck would freeze over before that happened. Gosnell is really not losing students like ie. Osceola or Blytheville.

Oh ok, thanks for explanation. I just figure schools statewide are going to eventually become fewer and bigger districts. Even if they have separate high school campuses.

TrenchHogs

Quote from: Missco on February 01, 2019, 09:25:05 am
Doubt they have to go asst. route unless its somebody who has also been a head coach earlier like Barbaree. Moody came from McCrory, Carter from Paragould, and Bowen from EPC.

Bowen was at Gosnell before he went to EPC, he came back to Gosnell from EPC for a couple years before heading to JB Westside.

hogwild_82

Quote from: Missco on February 01, 2019, 09:25:05 am

What's wrong with hiring an asst? Most coach's become head coach's after being an asst. 

TrenchHogs

Quote from: hogwild_82 on February 01, 2019, 11:35:26 am
What's wrong with hiring an asst? Most coach's become head coach's after being an asst.

Bout the only way you can even be considered for a head job is by being an assistant first.

FootballFever

They should go after coach Harrell at Piggot.  He would be a great fit there!!!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Rick Swines on February 01, 2019, 06:17:02 am
One of the worst paying jobs in the state. 210 contract and a $4174 stipend. I bet some young coordinators and small school head coaches apply.  Maybe someone on staff moves up?

I'm not coming for that.

bigchief72455

Quote from: FootballFever on February 01, 2019, 11:57:20 am
They should go after coach Harrell at Piggot.  He would be a great fit there!!!
Don't think he would want to leave Piggott for Gosnell.

Missco

Harrell would be a great fit as would Logan Rebstock.

OB11

Quote from: Missco on February 01, 2019, 12:37:58 pm
Harrell would be a great fit as would Logan Rebstock.

Where is Rebstock now?

Missco

birddawg1986

Surprised he is leaving. Wonder if his son will stay his Sr year at Gosnell ? The mom  is superintendent at Armorel.

airitout

Quote from: Rick Swines on February 01, 2019, 06:17:02 am

that's embarrassing for them, smh

OB11

Quote from: airitout on February 04, 2019, 10:14:23 am
that's embarrassing for them, smh

Pretty much par for the course in Mississippi County. That is actually better than what some schools around there pay.

Former, Coach Jacobs

Coach Russell Leggett, former head coach at Osceola and current athletic director, lives in Gosnell I believe and is an alum. Good guy that might want to get back in it. He did a decent job at Osceola, considering he had to follow Coach Gore.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on February 04, 2019, 11:15:47 am
Coach Russell Leggett, former head coach at Osceola and current athletic director, lives in Gosnell I believe and is an alum. Good guy that might want to get back in it. He did a decent job at Osceola, considering he had to follow Coach Gore.

So he is current athletic director at Osceola? But lives in Gosnell? Curious why he doesn't just live in Osceola. I don't think anyone would leave an Athletic Director position for a pretty poor paying Head Football coach job.

OB11

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 04, 2019, 12:00:06 pm
So he is current athletic director at Osceola? But lives in Gosnell? Curious why he doesn't just live in Osceola. I don't think anyone would leave an Athletic Director position for a pretty poor paying Head Football coach job.

He always lived there.

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 04, 2019, 12:00:06 pm

On your first point I don't know the answer to that.

On your second point...According to each school's website Barbaree has a higher salary for the 2018-2019 school year. I guess it would depend on if Leggett wanted to get back in it, and do it at a place he knows well.

Disclaimer: I have zero knowledge of what Coach Leggett wants or doesn't want to do. I'm just making a guess on who would be interested. It makes sense if he were to be interested.

birddawg1986

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on February 04, 2019, 12:08:32 pm
On your first point I don't know the answer to that.

On your second point...According to each school's website Barbaree has a higher salary for the 2018-2019 school year. I guess it would depend on if Leggett wanted to get back in it, and do it at a place he knows well.

Disclaimer: I have zero knowledge of what Coach Leggett wants or doesn't want to do. I'm just making a guess on who would be interested. It makes sense if he were to be interested.
Leggett would be a good fit for Gosnell. Ex-Pirate lives in Gosnell, and a good guy. Russell has been with the Osceola School District for 20+ years back in the Gore glory days and has always lived in Gosnell.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: birddawg1986 on February 05, 2019, 07:14:01 am
Leggett would be a good fit for Gosnell. Ex-Pirate lives in Gosnell, and a good guy. Russell has been with the Osceola School District for 20+ years back in the Gore glory days and has always lived in Gosnell.

But why would he give up a Athletic Director position? Usually you go from coach to Athletic Director, and then don't go back. Coaching is usually so much more stressful for less pay.

birddawg1986

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 05, 2019, 07:32:34 am
But why would he give up a Athletic Director position? Usually you go from coach to Athletic Director, and then don't go back. Coaching is usually so much more stressful for less pay.
I imagine the AD stipend at Osceola is probably close to the same pay as HC at Gosnell. Don't disagree he would have to want coach again, but you wouldn't have that drive to Osceola every day either.

bigchief72455

Not much of a difference in pay between the 2 positions. Probably depends on the individual and their desire to coach.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: birddawg1986 on February 05, 2019, 07:45:37 am
I imagine the AD stipend at Osceola is probably close to the same pay as HC at Gosnell. Don't disagree he would have to want coach again, but you wouldn't have that drive to Osceola every day either.

It's only 30 mins. About like Benton to Little Rock or Conway to Little Rock. For that low of pay though, it may warrant driving further to Osceola.

Mancho Hogo

Any other rumored names?  I think this would be a great job for an up and comer.  Is the DC in the running for the job?  When are they opening it up?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas