• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avery Felts

Started by J12, January 23, 2019, 10:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

J12

Commits to ASU per his twitter account.

Great move all the way around. Glad to see Felts stay close to home.

Livewire

Great news! Congratulations to Avery and ASU. I've had the good fortune to watch this young man since he was in middle school and now will have the opportunity to watch him play for the Red Wolves. ASU will benefit not only from having gotten a great player, but also I would expect to see many locals attend their games to watch home grown talent. So happy for his parents and coach Whitmire! :)

NEA Razorback olfan

Congratulations to Avery !!
Great Job, look forward to watching him at ASU!!

OB11

Hope this becomes a trend. Recruiting and signing good players from NEA would be a big help to ASU in my opinion.

Gray lizard

Looks like they are 8-11 on the season.  If you are not competing for a championship you better have local players if you plan to sell tickets.  Who wants to go see some kid from another country play unless they are wining a bunch of games.

cannon

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 24, 2019, 03:35:08 pm
Looks like they are 8-11 on the season.  If you are not competing for a championship you better have local players if you plan to sell tickets.  Who wants to go see some kid from another country play unless they are wining a bunch of games.

And I think ASU is seeing the error in their ways -- at least where girls ball is concerned.  At the very least you generate support for the team when you pull local talent.  With the addition of Star Taylor, Jordan Elder, and Mia Love on their girls team, they're guaranteed to pick up an audience that otherwise wouldn't be there.  Heck, I've actually been to one of the girls games this year for the simple reason that I wanted to see how Taylor & Elder were doing.  If you're ASU, you can't go wrong looking local, at least not given their current level of competitiveness. 

AuburnTigers98

Did he get a scholarship or is he a walk-on?

baller334

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: baller334 on January 26, 2019, 11:00:48 am
Scholarship

Good for him!!
It's great to see local talent have the opportunity to play at the next level, and get their education paid for!
I believe we have a lot of talent in this area that will have that opportunity boys and girls!!
Seeing these Athletes will just encourage our younger talent in the NEA to work harder !!

scrapdig

Never seen him play.  Tell me a little about the kids game. 

cannon

Quote from: scrapdig on January 28, 2019, 08:29:25 am
Never seen him play.  Tell me a little about the kids game.

He's a dynamic guard. I'd guess roughly 6'3". Exceptional transition shooter, finishes well in the paint, good defender, clutch competitor. Tends to score 20 or more in the 4th quarter in close games. Should be a good fit at a school like ASU.

Head Lion

He has traits that are hard to measure. He has a very hi basketball IQ and he is a winner. I loved the games the last couple of years in the blended conference vs my Lions. I would give him grief all night and he would take it like a champ and last quarter, just go off and look at me and smile. Best of luck , Avery and the Redwolves.

Mustang_4

He's a WINNER!! He has those things that can't be taught. It's good to see local talent headed to ASU!! Good luck Avery!!

J12

Avery certainly has the pedigree. I believe His uncle (Buster Campbell) played football for ASU. Avery's dad was a standout basketball player and actually walked on at ASU for a bit.

I know that Avery has gotten a lot of praise over the last week and he seems to be taking in stride. All of Westside is behind him and look forward to seeing him play close to home.

Hopefully completing some unfinished business in Hot Springs before he continues on to ASU.

scrapdig

Quote from: Mustang_4 on January 28, 2019, 02:16:01 pm
He's a WINNER!! He has those things that can't be taught. It's good to see local talent headed to ASU!! Good luck Avery!!
I always question when I hear someone is a winner.  That's what they said about guys who win but don't have the real talent needed at the next level like Tebow.  Not saying that is the case hear because I've never seen the kid. 

J12

Quote from: scrapdig on February 05, 2019, 12:47:00 pm
I always question when I hear someone is a winner.  That's what they said about guys who win but don't have the real talent needed at the next level like Tebow.  Not saying that is the case hear because I've never seen the kid.

Then why would comment if you've never seen him play? We live in a modern age of technology. I'm sure you could google or YouTube him.

Or just come on here and give an uninformed opinion...

scrapdig

Watched some highlights.  Looks like a great HS scorer/shooter.  Very limited athletically.  Will be tough to get shot off at the next level, didn't play above the rim like Dusty or Reaves.(White boy analogy)

J12

Quote from: scrapdig on February 05, 2019, 01:13:25 pm
Watched some highlights.  Looks like a great HS scorer/shooter.  Very limited athletically.  Will be tough to get shot off at the next level, didn't play above the rim like Dusty or Reaves.(White boy analogy)

Cool

Informant

What highlights did you watch? He's one of the most athletic guards in the state.  He shoots the ball quickly, which is one reason why he's able to score in bunches like he does.  He's very fast and strong inside, which again, is why he's able to score like he does.  No he doesn't play above the rim, which is true for almost everyone under 6'6", but to say he's "Very limited athletically" isn't accurate.

NEABBALLFAN03

Quote from: Informant on February 05, 2019, 01:27:07 pm

What highlights did you watch? He's one of the most athletic guards in the state.  He shoots the ball quickly, which is one reason why he's able to score in bunches like he does.  He's very fast and strong inside, which again, is why he's able to score like he does.  No he doesn't play above the rim, which is true for almost everyone under 6'6", but to say he's "Very limited athletically" isn't accurate.
+1

J12

I don't know Avery, but Im sure he's used to this sort of opinion. End of the day, haters hate and BS walks while talent talks.

His numbers don't lie.

scrapdig

Highlights on youtube like I was asked to do.  Dusty, McBride, Reaves, Macon, Hill, Sills, etc.. all play above the rim.  Didn't see that is his highlights.  Unreal shooter looks like. 

J12

Quote from: scrapdig on February 05, 2019, 02:17:02 pm
Highlights on youtube like I was asked to do.  Dusty, McBride, Reaves, Macon, Hill, Sills, etc.. all play above the rim.  Didn't see that is his highlights.  Unreal shooter looks like.

You didn't have to go to YouTube you could have went somewhere else.

J12

Quote from: scrapdig on February 05, 2019, 02:17:02 pm

You know, call me crazy here, but I don't remember Dusty being well known for his amazing dunks and for Reaves...  yea it's difficult to be a high flyer 30 feet from the hole.

At the risk of not de-railing this thread; each of the players you mentioned have different physical abilities but are great players. We'll see how it goes with Avery.

I'd take a kid with "heart" and see how far it goes any day.

scrapdig

Quote from: J12 on February 05, 2019, 02:33:54 pm
You know, call me crazy here, but I don't remember Dusty being well known for his amazing dunks and for Reaves...  yea it's difficult to be a high flyer 30 feet from the hole.

At the risk of not de-railing this thread; each of the players you mentioned have different physical abilities but are great players. We'll see how it goes with Avery.

I'd take a kid with "heart" and see how far it goes any day.
Dusty had a few good dunks but he also played above the rim.

FoxandHound34

Dusty quit dunking in HS after he got his hand broke on the rim in Beebe if I'm not mistaking

LRRandy

I agree with this. I think " athletic" has become a euphemism for being African-American.
# 10 is very quick. Both of foot and his shot release. He is also very fast with the ball and without. He has great handles, which allows him to get most anywhere on the court almost at will. Now, if the poster is saying athletic and meaning jumps out of the gym, well that may be accurate. He is however, a very athletic basketball player.

Ctucker

this is the stupidest post I've ever seen!

Neckred

Quote from: LRRandy on February 05, 2019, 04:23:49 pm
I agree with this. I think " athletic" has become a euphemism for being African-American.
# 10 is very quick. Both of foot and his shot release. He is also very fast with the ball and without. He has great handles, which allows him to get most anywhere on the court almost at will. Now, if the poster is saying athletic and meaning jumps out of the gym, well that may be accurate. He is however, a very athletic basketball player.
I would think to say a player is VERY athletic there would be some highlights of some good dunks for a 6-2 player.  Very athletic is a big stretch

LRRandy

Quote from: Neckred on February 06, 2019, 08:13:59 am
I would think to say a player is VERY athletic there would be some highlights of some good dunks for a 6-2 player.  Very athletic is a big stretch
fair enough. To you very athletic includes great leaping ability. I don't have a problem with that. I think speed, body control and quickness make him very athletic.

Neckred

Quote from: LRRandy on February 06, 2019, 09:34:47 am
fair enough. To you very athletic includes great leaping ability. I don't have a problem with that. I think speed, body control and quickness make him very athletic.
I can agree with that.  Looks like a solid player and every college team needs shooters. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas