• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on 5A teams(Not 6A/5A)

Started by Reddie20, January 18, 2019, 12:15:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddie20

West: Alma, Beebe, Greenbrier, LRCA, Vilonia
Greenbrier and Vilonia are two really good programs but they will be joined with Greenwood, Russellville and Siloam Springs from 6A this year.  Not a big fan of the classifications being mixed together this year especially for the State Playoffs but I hope one of these two teams or someone else could win the conference.  Alma has really nice facilities, its just a shame to see them suffer in baseball with that nice field going to waste.

South: Fair, Hot Springs, Lakeside
We all know Lakeside is the best out of these 3 teams but they now have to face Sheridan, Benton, El Dorado, Texarkana and Lake Hamilton in conference play this season.  This might be the toughest conference in 5A this season.  Last year's South Conference Tournament seedings were a joke when 6 coaches from one side voted against two coaches from the other but it worked out in the end. WH and WC took care of business pretty easily and WH knocked WC out in the Ship.  Lakeside will be lucky to make state this year, Lake Hamilton has been down so I see the 4th seed coming down between these two rivals.

Central: Sylvan Hills(2018 State Champs), Watson Chapel(2018 State Runner-up), White Hall, Maumelle, Parkview
These five teams along with 6A Jacksonville, Pine Bluff and Hall.  Sylvan Hills will probably be the favorite this year.  Watson Chapel lost some key pieces(Caleb Hill/Ole Miss, Garrett Dennis/Connors State), they have a junior pitcher named "Tink" if I remember correctly and he's pretty good.  They will have some bumps in the road.  Their cross-town rival White Hall had seniors all over the field last season, that usually means a lot of success with a lot of bumps coming the next season.  With over 10 seniors who graduated last year and 9 of them starters, White Hall will have a lot of learning curves with young players and inexperienced seniors.  They will return their ace from last year Zach Motsinger, Baylor Owens who will return from a separated shoulder last season, he will help on the mound as well in the outfield with his 6.5 60 yd speed in the outfield. They also lost a 4 year starter behind the plate so they will definitely take their lumps.  Coach Keith at Parkview has that program going in the right direction.  That is a tough job, he has players that want to work and play but its tough not have facilities/own field but he's definitely making it work.

East: GCT, Nettleton, Paragould
Don't know too much about this conference but I know Nettleton and GCT are usually pretty solid teams.  They will be joined with teams from 6A: West Memphis, Marion, Jonesboro, Mt. Home and Searcy.  Jonesboro is usually pretty solid, Marion had a pretty good season last year, Mt. Home/Searcy/West Memphis should be in the middle toward the bottom IMO.

Any thoughts on teams or conferences?

T-Bone

Many good players in the state of Arkansas.  To early to tell until play starts on who will do what.  But with the coaches and players Jonesboro has this year from freshman through seniors, they look to be very strong on both sides of the ball.  Ready for some warm days for the players.  Cold baseball is not safe baseball and never as fun on the field or in the stands.

truthseeker

In the West Russellville is on the rise and will be really good over the next few years, but still probably a year away.  Greenbrier has a couple of really good players and one elite player.  LRCA has a couple of big time hitters.  Greenwood is likely the team to beat though.

South is going to be tough with 5 teams fighting for 4 spots.  I would rank Benton #1 overall going into the season.  Sheridan will be very good again.  El Dorado and Texarkana both have a good mix of returning players and Texarkana has a few really good arms.  You don't want to draw the 4 seed from this group at state. 

Central - Watson Chapel has two big time 90+ arms.  Them and Sylvan Hills should battle it out for 1st

East - Jonesboro and then everyone else.

My top 5:

Benton
Greenwood
Sheridan
Jonesboro
Watson Chapel

T-Bone

90 plus arms are just that if they don't throw strikes consistently.  I would take one throwing strikes with less speed over one throwing lower to mid 90's and not consistent.  But the best part about this year is many of these hard throwing players will meet up and play one another during the year.  I see some possible great battles throughout the state with some big arms and many of these guys played on the same Sticks teams. 

Who has the bats?

Rick Swines

90+ arms are rare. If they have any control they are special.

As for the east. Jonesboro is the clear favorite. Mt home should be good. I havent heard anything about searcy. Marion, gct, and nettleton are all even.

Jonesboro has the best sophomore pitcher in state in jumper and maybe the second best in Sawyer. Add the te. senior pitchers and they have a great chance at winning sta

truthseeker

Quote from: T-Bone on January 24, 2019, 04:23:51 pm
90 plus arms are just that if they don't throw strikes consistently.  I would take one throwing strikes with less speed over one throwing lower to mid 90's and not consistent.  But the best part about this year is many of these hard throwing players will meet up and play one another during the year.  I see some possible great battles throughout the state with some big arms and many of these guys played on the same Sticks teams. 

Who has the bats?

Hence is arguably the best pitcher in the state regardless of class or classification.  He hit 93 at PG and he can pitch.  The other kid is raw. 

As far as bats, Greenbrier has one of the best hitters in the country.  Benton and Greenwood should have the best lineups top to bottom.  Sheridan may also be in that group.   

truthseeker

Quote from: Rick Swines on January 24, 2019, 09:57:26 pm
90+ arms are rare. If they have any control they are special.

As for the east. Jonesboro is the clear favorite. Mt home should be good. I havent heard anything about searcy. Marion, gct, and nettleton are all even.

Jonesboro has the best sophomore pitcher in state in jumper and maybe the second best in Sawyer. Add the te. senior pitchers and they have a great chance at winning sta

If you are talking about 5A, maybe with Jumper.  Overall, Ledbetter at Bryant is the best Sophomore pitcher in the state and I don't think it is even close. 

Rick Swines

Ledbetter is great.  But so is Will French, Jumper, bishop are great also.  And I'm sure there are some I'm leaving out. 

Rick Swines

Quote from: Rick Swines on January 25, 2019, 12:37:41 pm
Ledbetter is great.  But so is Will French, Jumper, bishop are great also.  And I'm sure there are some I'm leaving out.

I see you were talking about pitchers.  Jumper and the kid from GCT are close to being as good as ledbetter.  And that is not to take anything away from Austin.  He is great but to say he is way better is not accurate. 

T-Bone

January 25, 2019, 07:25:03 pm #9 Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:29:23 pm by T-Bone
Cross is a great pitcher and hitter.  He will help his high school team a lot this year.  This is only an opinion from the start of the year but Jonesboro should be strong up and down the pitching lineup.  If someone has a bad day they will be able to get someone fresh in there.  The bats will most likely be the key to Jonesboro's success.  If they are hitting they will be strong.  Bottom line.

Chin Music

Quote from: truthseeker on January 24, 2019, 09:39:24 am
In the West Russellville is on the rise and will be really good over the next few years, but still probably a year away.  Greenbrier has a couple of really good players and one elite player.  LRCA has a couple of big time hitters.  Greenwood is likely the team to beat though.

South is going to be tough with 5 teams fighting for 4 spots.  I would rank Benton #1 overall going into the season.  Sheridan will be very good again.  El Dorado and Texarkana both have a good mix of returning players and Texarkana has a few really good arms.  You don't want to draw the 4 seed from this group at state. 

Central - Watson Chapel has two big time 90+ arms.  Them and Sylvan Hills should battle it out for 1st

East - Jonesboro and then everyone else.

My top 5:

Benton
Greenwood
Sheridan
Jonesboro
Watson Chapel

As far as the West.....

Greenwood has to have someone step up on the mound.  Holt is the likely guy to do so but I don't think they are as strong as recent years.  Russelville is young but should still compete at the top.  LRCA is always tough but they lost more than anyone even though they return one of the best players in the state.  I assume Tollett won't get pitched to much.  I would pick Greennbrier to win the West.  Wallace is the real deal and he will likely also get pitched around a lot but I like his supporting cast better.

Hog In Slop

I'm sure GW will somehow find a pitcher.  I don't know how much Holt has pitched in the past, but I'm sure he will do fine.  I also thought they had quite a few other kids that play for some higher level summer programs, so surely they have some other pitchers. It should be interesting to see them and Greenbrier go at it, as I think they have a lot of players off of some good summer programs as well.

truthseeker

Quote from: Hog In Slop on January 28, 2019, 04:27:47 pm
I'm sure GW will somehow find a pitcher.  I don't know how much Holt has pitched in the past, but I'm sure he will do fine.  I also thought they had quite a few other kids that play for some higher level summer programs, so surely they have some other pitchers. It should be interesting to see them and Greenbrier go at it, as I think they have a lot of players off of some good summer programs as well.

I may be wrong, but I thought Greenwood returned almost everyone except Noland.   

Gravelbar

Our team has faced about all the pitchers mentioned in this thread except Ledbetter...Tink Hence is #1...Jumper's good, but Hence is a notch above I believe...Arkansas has some good players right now across the state for sure.

Chin Music

Quote from: Hog In Slop on January 28, 2019, 04:27:47 pm

I'm talking about replacing a dominant starter.  Sure they have arms and depth but can one pitcher be that dominant guy to go win game 1 of every double header and two playoffs games?

Greenwood (AR), LRCA (TN), and Watson Chapel (OM) all had pitchers that made an SEC roster this year.  Of those, only Watson Chapel looks to be close to that again this year with Hence (AR).  Jonesboro has their best pitcher(s) back.  Russellville has young kids that could become that guy this season.

Hog In Slop

I have no idea if GW has anyone to step in and be that dominant pitcher - none of us do at this point.  Only time will tell I guess.  Most teams don't have the luxury of having 3 D1 pitchers on one staff like WC did last year.  GW will definitely have to have someone step up on the mound after losing Noland so we will have to see how it all plays out.  The new 5A classification is loaded with talent.  It should make for a fun year to watch.

Bruin501

To me, Benton is the hands down favorite. They've got a lot of jr/sr talent on that team. Pallett (Arkansas) and Woolbright (gonna be D1) on the mound. The Easterling bros. Got a move-in MIF committed to OBU that can hit. They're loaded. There are others. Very good top to bottom. Easy choice as the favorite.

Do not sleep on Sheridan. They lost almost everybody but there are some key seniors back. Cacciatori, don't know name but a very good RHP that is a sr, and Arledge (plays on sticks team w/ all the best sophomores) are going to be tough on the mound. They should have 90 mph guy in Cacciatori and several high 80s guys. Got move in best 2021 catcher in Oliphent from Searcy. Have 2 SEC commits, another D1 commit, and 1-2 D2 senior. I've been told the Arledge kid is getting looked at by SEC schools. They had a good youth travel program. So I wouldn't sleep on them.

I think Jonesboro is going to be good for same reasons I think Sheridan will be: Young talent. Everybody knows about Jumper, but Bentley is a top player in 2021 class that plays w/ Jumper, Ledbetter, Chester, Arledge, etc... in the summer. Hosman kid can really hit. Neves an Arkansas guy 90+. Weatherly whos a for sure college guy. I put them a tick behind sheridan b/c i think they have more depth, but a contender for sure.

Chapel doesn't go as deep as these teams and they don't hit real well, but Tink may be best pitcher in state right now. Got another D1 guy Starks who's over 90. Randy Little and Compton (football stud) are really good players too. Chapel will be tough.

Don't sleep on Texarkana either. Got Braylon Bishop to transfer in. He won't ever see college. Adcock (Ole Miss) is the real deal. Have some other upperclass pitchers. Jackson Harris a 10th on that sticks team just committed to A-state. They should be much improved.

Greenwood will be tough but I don't think they will be in the Benton-Sheridan-Jonesboro-Chapel class. Jureka (10th) was impressivel ast year and we all know Holt is one of best players in state. Sagley (i think that's his name) is a very good player. Not sure exactly what else they have.

Greenbrier could challenge too w/ Wallace at plate and on mound. Have some quality pitching - no aces like some of the other teams - but good pitching and a shutdown closer type in wallace. Connor Flagg (11th) gonna be a guy to watch.

This is a strong class of teams at the top. Gotta go w/ Benton, but Sheridan, Jonesboro, Chapel, Greenbrier and Greenwood can challenge. Lakeside going to have a good team this year and possibly Russellville too.

Reddie20

Quote from: Bruin501 on February 11, 2019, 11:52:08 pm
To me, Benton is the hands down favorite. They've got a lot of jr/sr talent on that team. Pallett (Arkansas) and Woolbright (gonna be D1) on the mound. The Easterling bros. Got a move-in MIF committed to OBU that can hit. They're loaded. There are others. Very good top to bottom. Easy choice as the favorite.

Do not sleep on Sheridan. They lost almost everybody but there are some key seniors back. Cacciatori, don't know name but a very good RHP that is a sr, and Arledge (plays on sticks team w/ all the best sophomores) are going to be tough on the mound. They should have 90 mph guy in Cacciatori and several high 80s guys. Got move in best 2021 catcher in Oliphent from Searcy. Have 2 SEC commits, another D1 commit, and 1-2 D2 senior. I've been told the Arledge kid is getting looked at by SEC schools. They had a good youth travel program. So I wouldn't sleep on them.

I think Jonesboro is going to be good for same reasons I think Sheridan will be: Young talent. Everybody knows about Jumper, but Bentley is a top player in 2021 class that plays w/ Jumper, Ledbetter, Chester, Arledge, etc... in the summer. Hosman kid can really hit. Neves an Arkansas guy 90+. Weatherly whos a for sure college guy. I put them a tick behind sheridan b/c i think they have more depth, but a contender for sure.

Chapel doesn't go as deep as these teams and they don't hit real well, but Tink may be best pitcher in state right now. Got another D1 guy Starks who's over 90. Randy Little and Compton (football stud) are really good players too. Chapel will be tough.

Don't sleep on Texarkana either. Got Braylon Bishop to transfer in. He won't ever see college. Adcock (Ole Miss) is the real deal. Have some other upperclass pitchers. Jackson Harris a 10th on that sticks team just committed to A-state. They should be much improved.

Greenwood will be tough but I don't think they will be in the Benton-Sheridan-Jonesboro-Chapel class. Jureka (10th) was impressivel ast year and we all know Holt is one of best players in state. Sagley (i think that's his name) is a very good player. Not sure exactly what else they have.

Greenbrier could challenge too w/ Wallace at plate and on mound. Have some quality pitching - no aces like some of the other teams - but good pitching and a shutdown closer type in wallace. Connor Flagg (11th) gonna be a guy to watch.

This is a strong class of teams at the top. Gotta go w/ Benton, but Sheridan, Jonesboro, Chapel, Greenbrier and Greenwood can challenge. Lakeside going to have a good team this year and possibly Russellville too.
+1 btw Caccitori from Sheridan is only a Junior.

zebrafan

Quote from: Bruin501 on February 11, 2019, 11:52:08 pm

Starks from WC? What's the kids full name? I watched Tink Hence when he was tiny til now...great ball player.

Bruin501

Gabe Starks I think. My son works out at Proformance and Starks is a regular there. Arledge and Sites kid from Sheridan as well. Gabe Starks I believe is his name. Don't know if he has offers but they will be coming soon if not.

arkansas_boy_1193

It is Gabe Starks - diamond in the rough...up to 90 in workouts with Moseley, potential MLB prospect

Sites is a Jr at Sheridan - Louisiana Lafayette commit

Arledge is a Soph at Sheridan - big spring for him

hurricanes1

Jonesboro is now ranked #22 in the nation on Maxpreps. #otr

ricepig

Quote from: hurricanes1 on March 21, 2019, 04:19:42 pm
Jonesboro is now ranked #22 in the nation on Maxpreps. #otr

Jonesboro wins two today, 4-0 over St. Benedict, and 1-0 over Munford, TN as Logan Orr throws a perfect game.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2019, 08:23:56 pm
Jonesboro wins two today, 4-0 over St. Benedict, and 1-0 over Munford, TN as Logan Orr throws a perfect game.

Nice!  Congrats to him - he's a great kid.  My son played with him this past summer and I liked him and his folks.

ricepig

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on March 22, 2019, 01:06:08 pm
Nice!  Congrats to him - he's a great kid.  My son played with him this past summer and I liked him and his folks.

I actually thought he might try to play baseball in college, instead of football. Yeah, he comes from a good family.

Bruin501

Nearing the halfway point.

The Standouts

South
Sheridan (14-3/7-0)
Benton (10-3/3-2)
Texarkana (9-4/4-2)

East
Mtn. Home (10-4/5-1)
Marion (11-4/3-1)
Jonesboro (13-3/4-2)

West
Greenbrier (11-2/4-2)
LR Christian (11-4/4-2)
Russellville (12-5/4-2)

Central
Sylvan Hills (13-4/6-0)
White Hall (10-7/5-1)

Gravelbar

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2019, 08:23:56 pm
Munford throw their sidearm/submarine guy?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas