• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Razorback Football 2019: The Rebuild.

Started by AirWarren, December 07, 2018, 08:40:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

And here we are yet again.

Hopefully we see improvement from a class that is shaping up to be a decent recruiting class.

footballfan-tastic

WPWells

2019 Schedule:

August 31 - Portland State
September 7 - @ Ole Miss
September 14 - Colorado State
September 21 - San Jose State
September 28 - Texas A&M (Arlington, TX)
October 12 - @ Kentucky
October 19 - Auburn
October 26 - @ Alabama
November 2 - Mississippi State
November 9 - Western Kentucky
November 23 - @ LSU
November 30 - Missouri (Little Rock)

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on December 12, 2018, 10:59:08 am
2019 Schedule:

August 31 - Portland State
September 7 - @ Ole Miss
September 14 - Colorado State
September 21 - San Jose State
September 28 - Texas A&M (Arlington, TX)
October 12 - @ Kentucky
October 19 - Auburn
October 26 - @ Alabama
November 2 - Mississippi State
November 9 - Western Kentucky
November 23 - @ LSU
November 30 - Missouri (Little Rock)

The season will totally be determined by the first 4 games.... Have to go 4-0 in that stretch or there is no shot at a bowl game.  We really won't know anything about this team until they play @ Kentucky imo.... And my word do we seriously only play 2 SEC games in Fayetteville  :o

footballfan-tastic

Here's a pretty good break down.

Quote from: game on on November 18, 2018, 12:48:00 pm
Program is really in bad shape. The talent level is obviously down but more than that there is not much motivation and the new staff has struggled to get the team to show improvement and do get them to play in a disciplined manner.  The likelihood of a 2-10 season is daunting and now the question must be answered, is the new head coach and staff capable of turning Arkansas football around?  I think the fan base is split right now with whether or not we have the right coach in place.  It's a given that Coach Morris stepped into a mess but right now it appears the problems are getting worse and he is having difficulty getting any improvement to stick. The program was bad when he took over but it appears to have gotten worse.  The improvement we need to see is in wins and losses. Next season his new recruits will have a huge task coming in and getting some real improvement made.  Last year Arkansas won 4 games under a guy we fired, we will probably win only 2 under the guy hired to fix it.  Next season we need a big jump in not just wins but some wins against a few more of the quality teams on this list.  Portland State,  Colorado State, San Jose State,  all should be easy home victories to give the home crowd, (which has to be revived after this season and the terrible attendance) at least 3 wins and some encouragement.  Ole Miss in game two will be an opportunity for a road win, not easy but possible.  Hog fans could see  4 wins before the schedule begins to toughen up.  At that point we might possibly suffer 5 straight losses, A&M, KY, Auburn, Alabama, Miss ST., followed by Western KY that should be another victory.  Close out the season with LSU and Missouri may be two losses but certainly depends on how much real progress the team can make.  Should be 4 wins if we don't get a win over Ole Miss,  5 victories if we beat Ole Miss.  So with competent play and coaching and a few breaks we need to come up with one more win to get bowl eligible. 
The number grows to 6 if we can beat KY which is sort of one dimensional and not likely to be as strong next season.
Date   Opponent
Aug. 31   Portland State
Sept. 7   at Ole Miss
Sept. 14   Colorado State
Sept. 21   San Jose State
Sept. 28   vs. Texas A&M (Arlington)
Oct. 12   at Kentucky
Oct. 19   Auburn
Oct. 26   at Alabama
Nov. 2   Mississippi State
Nov. 9   Western Kentucky
Nov. 23   at LSU
Nov. 30   Missouri (Little Rock)
Next season looks to be much like this season.  With another year of some soft opponents at home there will be opportunities for improvement that translate into wins.  We should be better in the new coaches second season and with new players signed we should see some more wins.  I'd say anything less than 4 is an absolute disaster with 4 being sort of a minimum.  Getting to 6 wins would be a big boost for fans because of the opportunity to get to a bowl game.  More wins and that would be a mark of improvement for sure and an indication that Morris is on the right road.  Maybe not the fast lane but at least pulling onto the hi-way.  Less than 6 wins and it will be better than this year but a disappointment none the less. 

footballfan-tastic

Valleysports

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 12, 2018, 01:18:17 pm
Less than 6 is a bad season next year.
Heck yeah by golly we got 7, 4 star Freshmen Receivers, a couple of SEC Teams better look out for us.     

bdubyab60

Better set our sights at around 4 and hope for better.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 12, 2018, 06:10:13 pm
Better set our sights at around 4 and hope for better.
yeah 4 would be a big improvement from this year

Valleysports

How about 4 wins as Freshmen, 6 (2020), 8 (2021), 9-3 (2022)?  If Arkansas finishes 9-3, four years from now, that would be one heck of a rebuild.

bdubyab60

I'm thinking it better be better than 2 for sure. But if we lose two years in a row to CSU especially at home next year. He should walk to his car after the game is over and have his things mailed back to him.

footballfan-tastic

bdubyab60

By what I've read from the cruiting guys it's defnse and a possible QB unless a stud falls in our lap. I'm sure they are still kicking the bushes or should be.

footballfan-tastic

OL coach either has no pull or thinks the 3* guys we have are going to develop greatly due to his coaching talent.  Hope so.

AT

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 14, 2018, 06:39:40 pm
OL coach either has no pull or thinks the 3* guys we have are going to develop greatly due to his coaching talent.  Hope so.

Or maybe something in between that instead of the two extremes.

Valleysports

Quote from: game on on December 19, 2018, 03:13:15 pm
So who's rating of our class do we go by.  I saw us at 11 and I saw us at 17.  Also at #7 in the west I think.  Also we have one 4* OL.  That OL recruiting just will not cut it in the SEC.

#20 - 247Sports

Romeo

Rivals.com has us at 12, 24/7 Sports has us at 20, ESPN has us at 21. The difference is that Rivals has 13 of our commits as 4 star players. 24/7 has 8 as four star players. Rivals is the longest running recruiting site in the modern recruiting era and has more resources for football evaluation so I've relied more on its rankings.

Valleysports

Quote from: Romeo on December 20, 2018, 07:27:46 am
Rivals.com has us at 12, 24/7 Sports has us at 20, ESPN has us at 21. The difference is that Rivals has 13 of our commits as 4 star players. 24/7 has 8 as four star players. Rivals is the longest running recruiting site in the modern recruiting era and has more resources for football evaluation so I've relied more on its rankings.

Arkansas landing a Top 15 class is amazing to me.  13? 8?, four stars, after a 2-10 season.  Morris might be worth his pay in recruiting alone.  With that said 11 SEC Teams are in the Top 25.  And ALL 7 SEC West Teams, with 3 in the Top 5. Theoretically nothing should change within the SEC West other than the gap between upper & lower tier.  Did Arkansas gain ground or maintain position in the SEC West?

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on December 20, 2018, 08:30:47 am

Arkansas landing a Top 15 class is amazing to me.  13? 8?, four stars, after a 2-10 season.  Morris might be worth his pay in recruiting alone.  With that said 11 SEC Teams are in the Top 25.  And ALL 7 SEC West Teams, with 3 in the Top 5. Theoretically nothing should change within the SEC West other than the gap between upper & lower tier.  Did Arkansas gain ground or maintain position in the SEC West?

It's a start. But I stand by my thoughts on Razorback football. Arkansas SHOULD be in the top 4 of the SEC west every year with an occasional stellar season to maybe win the west and make an appearance in the SEC title game(1995, 2002, 2006). I've always said Arkansas should be a perennial 7-9 win team with an occasional 10-12 win season sprinkled in.

While I need to see this class produce to believe it, I do believe it is a good start. This man has been here a year and has gotten 11 4* commitments in December. He is working his tail off, I will give him that. He sees the need for dominant defensive lines in the SEC and he is going after some studs. Offensive line needs some work but I truly believe that we have some kids on the roster that will surprise some people based off conditioning improvement, weight loss, and scheme change alone.

YSpanther

QuoteSo who's rating of our class do we go by.  I saw us at 11 and I saw us at 17.  Also at #7 in the west I think.  Also we have one 4* OL.  That OL recruiting just will not cut it in the SEC.
While I agree, what a lot of lesser programs have to do is load up with talented defensive lineman and get them here, promising them a shot, but telling them that if that doesn't work out then they may ask them to play offense.  I think they looked around and saw that the highly ranked offensive linemen were taken by the bluebloods and so they did what they could, flipped and took the best of the 3 stars they could find, took the best JC prospects they could get to fill the current holes and then have really loaded up on talented DL to do exactly what I just talked about.  If they can get up to 15 serviceable OL over the next year or so and then be able to recruit about 3-4 good ones, with one true stud in that group each class, then we will be okay.  When you run what he wants to run and can keep the defense off base and guessing and gassed, you can cover up that you are mediocre in a few spots in your OL until your recruiting catches up there too.  You can't do that though when most of you line is bad, your quarterback is average and starting for the very first time and the bulk of your receivers can't run very good routes or get good separation.  You have that formula and then the other side's defense just starts hunting for bear and killing you time after time in the run game, even though you have some pretty good backs.

Valleysports

Quote from: AirWarren on December 20, 2018, 09:33:55 am
It's a start. But I stand by my thoughts on Razorback football. Arkansas SHOULD be in the top 4 of the SEC west every year with an occasional stellar season to maybe win the west and make an appearance in the SEC title game(1995, 2002, 2006). I've always said Arkansas should be a perennial 7-9 win team with an occasional 10-12 win season sprinkled in.

What on earth makes you think Arkansas should be in the Top 4 every year?  Because we pay our Coach $75 Million, our awesome facilities, recruits want to move to the Boston Mtns.?  Which teams should be in the bottom 3 every year?  Haha if you asked the other SEC West Teams where Arkansas should be ever year reckon what they'd say? 

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on December 22, 2018, 02:02:36 pm
What on earth makes you think Arkansas should be in the Top 4 every year?  Because we pay our Coach $75 Million, our awesome facilities, recruits want to move to the Boston Mtns.?  Which teams should be in the bottom 3 every year?  Haha if you asked the other SEC West Teams where Arkansas should be ever year reckon what they'd say? 

Top 4 sec west. It's an opinion. Like it or lump it.

Valleysports

Sorry Airwarren, I didn't realize I was quoting you... 
Bama, A&M, LSU, & UofA all the way!  :D

Valleysports

Got to be happy with recruits (top recruits) response when asked about their Arkansas visits. Kids say if they come to Arkansas it'll be because of Morris. And Chavis. Kids like them and their enthusiasm.  They're outperforming in the recruiting department.

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on December 22, 2018, 06:50:26 pm
Sorry Airwarren, I didn't realize I was quoting you... 
Bama, A&M, LSU, & UofA all the way!  :D

It's ok. Gotta find some ready to be optimistic. Never been so disgusted with football as I have this year in my 33 years on this earth.

RATTLER43

December 28, 2018, 01:22:51 pm #25 Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:43:03 pm by RATTLER43
I'm ready to be optimistic for our program.
Step 1 is to recruit well.   Check. 
Step two is player development.   We shall see. 
Step 3 is game prep.  Yet to be seen.
Step 4 is in game coaching.    Yet to be seen.
Step 5 is continuity.   

Hoping for plenty of step 2 this year.    Step 3 may require a little more of step 1 to be noticeable.   

About Notre Dame, I've been a Razorback fan since the early 70s.   Back then, only a handful of games were televised.  Notre Dame had every game shown on NBC.  Seemed unfair to all other programs for that type of power to recruit for one program.    Seemed like they were always top 10 even with two and occasionally 3 losses.  Got big bowl games without being in a conference.  Seemed that they had unfair advantages.   That perception I had growing up just stuck with me I suppose.    Seems as though it stuck with lots of folks.     I don't think it's sour grapes due to them winning because I don't possess the same anti feeling toward Bama, OK, Texas, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, etc and they always were winning.    Just my opinion.   I felt that powers that be swayed unfairly to Notre Dame. 

Valleysports

Quote from: RZback on December 31, 2018, 09:28:50 am
I'm just ready for spring ball to get going so we can see what we have!

Well here's one thing to keep in mind - this great 2019 recruit class won't even be on campus in the Spring (most).  Most will be 18 year old freshmen when next season starts.  2019 won't be a turn-around year, it's a Rebuild Year like the title of this thread reads.  I hope Arkansas Fans understand that Freshmen aren't going to be SEC competitive in their first year!   8)

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Valleysports on December 31, 2018, 10:56:05 am
Well here's one thing to keep in mind - this great 2019 recruit class won't even be on campus in the Spring (most).  Most will be 18 year old freshmen when next season starts.  2019 won't be a turn-around year, it's a Rebuild Year like the title of this thread reads.  I hope Arkansas Fans understand that Freshmen aren't going to be SEC competitive in their first year!   8)
Probably not hopefully more competitive the second year and also need to keep having more great recruiting every year

Valleysports

Quote from: AirWarren on December 20, 2018, 09:33:55 am
Arkansas SHOULD be in the top 4 of the SEC west every year with an occasional stellar season to maybe win the west and make an appearance in the SEC title game(1995, 2002, 2006).

I think it's changed a slot AW, with Bama, A&M, LSU, & Auburn expected to finish in the Top 4 SEC West every year.  Recruiting - Arkansas is excited about having a Top 15 recruit class, yet it's 5 or 6 in the SEC West.    Arkansas has only finished in the top 4, once, since 2012.  I don't see Arkansas gaining ground on the top 4 until they're recruiting with the top 4, which has suddenly gone off the charts.  Maybe Auburn will have a Gus meltdown.   

footballfan-tastic

Are you suggesting you would like to see Gus in place of Chad?

OB11

Ty Storey's name is in the transfer portal per Trey Biddy on Twitter.

Valleysports

bulldoghistorian

OB11

Can SEC schools block transfers within the conference? Say Hurts did want to go to Arkansas, would Alabama be able to keep him from doing that?

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Valleysports on January 10, 2019, 11:00:06 pm
Jalen Hurts is coming to Arkansas

I was thinking Auburn. He'd be lethal in Gus's system. But that'd be a controversial move for sure haha. How especially upset would Bama fans be if Auburn beat them next year with their transfer QB?

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 11, 2019, 09:35:44 am
I was thinking Auburn. He'd be lethal in Gus's system. But that'd be a controversial move for sure haha. How especially upset would Bama fans be if Auburn beat them next year with their transfer QB?
He'd be lethal at Arkansas I think but it will never happen

bdubyab60

I doubt we see Hurts in the SEC again. And he will never go to Auburn

Valleysports

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 11, 2019, 09:35:44 am
That would be great!

bdubyab60

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 13, 2019, 09:30:44 pm
Hogs will probably have Ben Hicks at QB

I'm down with that. Knows the system. Offer some leadership.

Lumberjackfan1978

Cabotfan

AirWarren

Romeo

Hicks just confirmed on Twitter that he's transferring to Arkansas.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Cabotfan on January 14, 2019, 12:33:06 pm
WHO?
SMU QB. The major plus is he knows the system. He's not great but can run the offense and hopefully help get Jefferson ready. He's not a dual threat per day but is mobile.

Supposedly Noland is gearing up for baseball and really wanting to concentrate on that.

Storey and Kelley transferring so not much else out there and not much room in scholarships either.

We aren't getting Hurts or a big name guy.

Not sure if they could add another for depth or not with as little room as we have now

beach bum

I'm feeling really confident his 56% completion rate in the AAC will translate real well against SEC defenses  :o

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on January 14, 2019, 03:22:59 pm
I'm feeling really confident his 56% completion rate in the AAC will translate real well against SEC defenses  :o
Agreed. It's nit the big name and he didn't put up great numbers this year.

But reading the other site we may have some more good news Friday.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on January 14, 2019, 03:22:59 pm

If the Oline doesn't improve it won't matter who's playing quarterback lol

bdubyab60

Whoever is the QB better be quick. But supposedly some of the online trouble was with the read the QBs were making. But yeah they gotta block

Lumberjackfan1978

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas