• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does the season start next week?

Started by Buck183, February 13, 2018, 09:56:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck183

Might be the quietest preseason I've seen on here in the last few years.  One would think we don't start playing for another three months given the amount of dialogue being exchanged in the last couple weeks. 

Is everyone still in basketball mode?

redsport27

I agree it's been very quiet. I was interested to hear other thoughts on the season but it's been all silence! There are a bunch of exciting teams but I haven't heard much about them.

jimmyt

I was also thinking that.. Let's get some discussion going again!

Heard Farmington program wont start till 2 more seasons because their stadium won't be done till August 2019.

Hearing McClellan is getting turf this year so home games will be played at central or war memorial.

Jonesboro and Mountain Home not playing each other during regular season again.. might lead to hard time deciding 1 seed for their conference tournament again?

redsport27

Good to hear that McClellan is getting turf. They managed to get 2nd in the central conference last season, so I'm curious to see how they do this year.

Are there any intriguing tournaments at the beginning of the year? I want to hear some of the teams entered.

ARSoccer25

LRCA is hosting a one day tournament on March 3rd. On the boys side, White Hall, Central, LRCA, and Lakeside are in it. On the girls side, I know LRCA and Lakeside are. I am not sure about the other two teams.

On the boys side,I am curious to see how Lakeside and LRCA  look. Both teams lost some great seniors from last year.

Also, I believe Dardanelle host Hot Springs to kick off their season. That should be great one to watch!

redsport27

Quote from: ARSoccer25 on February 14, 2018, 10:07:59 am
LRCA is hosting a one day tournament on March 3rd. On the boys side, White Hall, Central, LRCA, and Lakeside are in it. On the girls side, I know LRCA and Lakeside are. I am not sure about the other two teams.

On the boys side,I am curious to see how Lakeside and LRCA  look. Both teams lost some great seniors from last year.

Also, I believe Dardanelle host Hot Springs to kick off their season. That should be great one to watch!
Yes, the interesting thing is LRCA and Lakeside lost a lot. White Hall is bringing in loads of talent. They had a good team last year, going 14-5 and they return many starters who have been playing with each other for awhile. Their new coach is great and has been training them hard for the season. That tournament will tell a lot about LRCA, Lakeside, and WH. Central will come in as a favorite for the boys side, but those other teams will have a lot to offer.

The Coach

February 14, 2018, 11:51:59 am #6 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:54:07 am by The Coach

Dardanelle plays at Conway next Thursday in their benefit Game. Then yes they host hot springs the 27th.

Buck183

Quote from: jimmyt on February 14, 2018, 08:36:08 am

Heard Farmington program wont start till 2 more seasons because their stadium won't be done till August 2019.

Hearing McClellan is getting turf this year so home games will be played at central or war memorial.

Jonesboro and Mountain Home not playing each other during regular season again.. might lead to hard time deciding 1 seed for their conference tournament again?

Hate hearing that about Farmington.  They made an attempt to start up a soccer program a few years back and backed out then too.  Had kids committed and on the field then took a left turn.  Odd that they continue doing this.  This won't help their cause when they do actually commit. 

Hope they get it worked out. 

RazorDad

Quote from: ARSoccer25 on February 14, 2018, 10:07:59 am

Benton and White Hall are the other two girls teams. The initial matchups are:

Girls:
White Hall vs LRCA
Benton vs Lakeside

Boys:
White Hall vs LRCA
Central vs Lakeside

futbolsoccer

Russellville boys:
2/20 VB @ Springdale

Russellville girls:
2/23 VG vs Maumelle

chaoslord

Quote from: redsport27 on February 14, 2018, 09:53:30 am
Good to hear that McClellan is getting turf. They managed to get 2nd in the central conference last season, so I'm curious to see how they do this year.

Are there any intriguing tournaments at the beginning of the year? I want to hear some of the teams entered.

According to a scheduling email I got

March 2/3, Bentonville and Bentonville West are hosting a tournament. Fort Smith Northside and Southside are as well.
March 9/10, Van Buren and Greenwood are hosting a tournament

Trying to figure out teams

Buck183

Quote from: jimmyt on February 14, 2018, 08:36:08 am

If Mt Home would make a change and actually attempt to play the game rather than disrupt it that would certainly help. 

arsoccer

Quote from: Buck183 on February 15, 2018, 11:14:43 pm
If Mt Home would make a change and actually attempt to play the game rather than disrupt it that would certainly help.

What does this even mean?

BullDogFan72

2/27 - Greenwood vs Southside (Benefit Games)
VG - 5:00 PM
VB - 7:00 PM

Greenwood Boys: new Head Coach debut, Lukas Shoemaker

chaoslord

Quote from: arsoccer on February 16, 2018, 07:09:10 am

This is based on seeing Mt Home a handful of times combined with just what I've heard from others:

Mt Home makes copious amounts of substitutions and plays a strong defense (could almost go as far as to say all out defense) to win the ball away and play it long, using their athleticism and speed to hit on a quick counter. When compared to teams that play more possessive, passing, attacking oriented soccer, it looks like they're playing a completely separate sport.

It works well for them and IMO coaches should play to their strengths. They're one of the few teams, though, that I've seen in 6A/7A that sit back and defend as their Plan A. Adding in the substitutions (I haven't seen every HS team but I'd have a tough time imagining anyone subs more than MH) and I can understand the criticism. They made it to the championship game last year but then looked lost once they found themselves 2-0 down and didn't seem to have a good game plan to get back in the game. To be fair, though, that Siloam Springs team was pretty talented and I'm not sure a lot of teams would have found it easy to fight back.

arsoccer

Quote from: chaoslord on February 16, 2018, 09:14:01 am
This is based on seeing Mt Home a handful of times combined with just what I've heard from others:

Mt Home makes copious amounts of substitutions and plays a strong defense (could almost go as far as to say all out defense) to win the ball away and play it long, using their athleticism and speed to hit on a quick counter. When compared to teams that play more possessive, passing, attacking oriented soccer, it looks like they're playing a completely separate sport.

It works well for them and IMO coaches should play to their strengths. They're one of the few teams, though, that I've seen in 6A/7A that sit back and defend as their Plan A. Adding in the substitutions (I haven't seen every HS team but I'd have a tough time imagining anyone subs more than MH) and I can understand the criticism. They made it to the championship game last year but then looked lost once they found themselves 2-0 down and didn't seem to have a good game plan to get back in the game. To be fair, though, that Siloam Springs team was pretty talented and I'm not sure a lot of teams would have found it easy to fight back.

I've never seen Mt Home play but that's what I assumed Buck was referring to.  I'm just always baffled by a comment about attempting to play the game.   Just because you may not find something aesthetically pleasing doesn't make it any more or any less of "the game"

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: arsoccer on February 16, 2018, 09:30:03 am
I've never seen Mt Home play but that's what I assumed Buck was referring to.  I'm just always baffled by a comment about attempting to play the game.   Just because you may not find something aesthetically pleasing doesn't make it any more or any less of "the game"

I mean they've done it for years now.. If it ain't broke..

The Coach

Quote from: chaoslord on February 15, 2018, 08:29:54 pm
According to a scheduling email I got
March 9/10, Van Buren and Greenwood are hosting a tournament

Trying to figure out teams

Dardanelle, Clarksville, Russellville, Greenwood, Van Buren

Holland Hall, Bishop Kelley, and Putman City West I believe all from Oklahoma

Buck183

February 17, 2018, 01:52:31 pm #18 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:30:02 pm by Buck183
Quote from: arsoccer on February 16, 2018, 07:09:10 am

This has been mentioned on here multiple times. 

chaoslord covered it for the most part.

I had seen many posts about their style but had never seen them play in person until the state championship game last year.  I saw them come out for the team introductions with well over thirty players.  I initially thought they had brought their JV players to let them enjoy the experience too. Makes sense.  I was obviously wrong. 

Within 2-3 minutes of the game starting they were subbing 2-3 players in.  This pattern stayed consistent the entire first half. 2,3, and 4 players every 2-3 minutes of play. I have seen a defensive style of play many times over the last 12 years while traveling this country watching this sport, but I've never seen anything like this. 

Someone on here explained to me that the coach does it to keep the players more fresh and player a faster pace game.  I would have believed it had I not seen them do the opposite when they got down 0-2 to Siloam. At this point in time he quit subbing players and tried to play the game. That alone proves that he doesn't do it to keep them fresh but rather to disrupt the flow of the game. 

Let's face it, there's no way possible any team can get in a rhythm playing like this. 

Someone mentioned that coaches have to work with what they have.  Couldn't agree more. I see it all the time. Problem is other coaches adjust accordingly each year with what they're given. He does the same thing. That disproves that theory. 

I liken it to playing defense in football and running one play when your offense gets the ball then punts on second down. Or playing defense in basketball and then shooting at half court every time you get the ball across the line.  Probably a far fetched way to look at it, but....

When they were forced to play the game in the second half it was evident they weren't given the skills to cope with this scenario.  They looked lost and spent the entire second half chasing the ball. The Speed and athleticism that had gotten them there wasn't enough against said opponent. They were up against a team with the same speed and athleticism that also had the ability to posses the ball. I honestly think had they been forced to play a little more offense earlier in their season and maybe take a couple losses along the way they wouldn't have had such a let down when they made it to the ship. 

The coach has a right to do whatever he wants, after all it's his team.  I can also choose to think what I want of his style.  Keep in mind others before me have been pretty hard on them in here for this very reason long before my comment was made. 

Hot-to-trot

February 17, 2018, 11:06:34 pm #19 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:31:08 pm by Hot-to-trot
5 appearances in the final.  I would say you can have your opinion but the numbers oppose it.  I doubt you have coached in 5 finals?  He is a good friend of mine so I am probably a little partial, but you have to admit he is doing something right.
They do not play that style unless they are playing a team that he knows is better.  Other coaches do this as well. They did it 3 times last year and that's it.  The rest of the season they were very attack minded and good at it.   You say they do the same thing every year.  From what I've seen, MH makes more tactical adjustments through a season than most other teams.  They find ways to win by adjusting their shape/tactics.  Brian is very good at it.  You being from Siloam you wouldn't understand having to beat teams that are more talented.  Your teams have a large number of Hispanic players who were born into the game.  You can/should play a possession style.  You do the same thing every year and win because you simply have more talent.  And then pretend coaching is why you are so technical.  Siloam seems to win regardless of who the coach is.  The kids join the team with more skill than the majority of their opponents.  MH did not have near the success before Brian took over the program.   He does more with less.  They led Russellville in the 2012 final until 10 min left and lost in pks.  They  started 7 kids in that match who never played soccer before high school.  Look at all the boys teams that made the final last year.  They all had majority Hispanic rosters except for MH.  Not many coaches could get the results at MH that Brian has.  You are clearly from the larger club circuit and have not seen what the majority of the high school teams deal with.  Little or no club influence.  Brian is realistic enough to know what his kids can and cannot do.  He has to recruit basketball/football players to be able to compete.  We need more coaches like him to help the sport grow.  Guys who go into communities that don't respect soccer and try to make it grow.  Not people who go to communities that are already built up and then take credit for it. 

Sir Alex

With all of that said Mtn Home has a new head coach with both teams this year so we shall see what the new season brings.  I would be that both teams are successful again.

Buck183

Quote from: Hot-to-trot on February 17, 2018, 11:06:34 pm
5 appearances in the final.  I would say you can have your opinion but the numbers oppose it.  I doubt you have coached in 5 finals?  He is a good friend of mine so I am probably a little partial, but you have to admit he is doing something right.
They do not play that style unless they are playing a team that he knows is better.  Other coaches do this as well. They did it 3 times last year and that's it.  The rest of the season they were very attack minded and good at it.   You say they do the same thing every year.  From what I've seen, MH makes more tactical adjustments through a season than most other teams.  They find ways to win by adjusting their shape/tactics.  Brian is very good at it.  You being from Siloam you wouldn't understand having to beat teams that are more talented.  Your teams have a large number of Hispanic players who were born into the game.  You can/should play a possession style.  You do the same thing every year and win because you simply have more talent.  And then pretend coaching is why you are so technical.  Siloam seems to win regardless of who the coach is.  The kids join the team with more skill than the majority of their opponents.  MH did not have near the success before Brian took over the program.   He does more with less.  They led Russellville in the 2012 final until 10 min left and lost in pks.  They  started 7 kids in that match who never played soccer before high school.  Look at all the boys teams that made the final last year.  They all had majority Hispanic rosters except for MH.  Not many coaches could get the results at MH that Brian has.  You are clearly from the larger club circuit and have not seen what the majority of the high school teams deal with.  Little or no club influence.  Brian is realistic enough to know what his kids can and cannot do.  He has to recruit basketball/football players to be able to compete.  We need more coaches like him to help the sport grow.  Guys who go into communities that don't respect soccer and try to make it grow.  Not people who go to communities that are already built up and then take credit for it.

Like I said at the end of my reply, I'm not the first person to make similar comments on this topic.  MANY others on here have said the same.  Take a look at the 6A playoff thread from last spring.

I stand by my opinion. No one has to like it. 

sssuperpantherfan2

Quote from: Sir Alex on February 18, 2018, 01:01:31 pm
With all of that said Mtn Home has a new head coach with both teams this year so we shall see what the new season brings.  I would be that both teams are successful again.

Where did the old head coach go?  Curious if we'll see the game plan again.

Buck183

Quote from: BullDogFan72 on February 16, 2018, 07:41:28 am
2/27 - Greenwood vs Southside (Benefit Games)
VG - 5:00 PM
VB - 7:00 PM

Greenwood Boys: new Head Coach debut, Lukas Shoemaker

Your program is lucky to have him.  He will do good things there.  He will get the best out of them every time they take the pitch. 

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on February 18, 2018, 06:32:48 pm
Where did the old head coach go?  Curious if we'll see the game plan again.

Pretty sure he was promoted to head football coach.

arsoccer

Quote from: Buck183 on February 17, 2018, 01:52:31 pm
This has been mentioned on here multiple times. 

chaoslord covered it for the most part.

I had seen many posts about their style but had never seen them play in person until the state championship game last year.  I saw them come out for the team introductions with well over thirty players.  I initially thought they had brought their JV players to let them enjoy the experience too. Makes sense.  I was obviously wrong. 

Within 2-3 minutes of the game starting they were subbing 2-3 players in.  This pattern stayed consistent the entire first half. 2,3, and 4 players every 2-3 minutes of play. I have seen a defensive style of play many times over the last 12 years while traveling this country watching this sport, but I've never seen anything like this. 

Someone on here explained to me that the coach does it to keep the players more fresh and player a faster pace game.  I would have believed it had I not seen them do the opposite when they got down 0-2 to Siloam. At this point in time he quit subbing players and tried to play the game. That alone proves that he doesn't do it to keep them fresh but rather to disrupt the flow of the game. 

Let's face it, there's no way possible any team can get in a rhythm playing like this. 

Someone mentioned that coaches have to work with what they have.  Couldn't agree more. I see it all the time. Problem is other coaches adjust accordingly each year with what they're given. He does the same thing. That disproves that theory. 

I liken it to playing defense in football and running one play when your offense gets the ball then punts on second down. Or playing defense in basketball and then shooting at half court every time you get the ball across the line.  Probably a far fetched way to look at it, but....

When they were forced to play the game in the second half it was evident they weren't given the skills to cope with this scenario.  They looked lost and spent the entire second half chasing the ball. The Speed and athleticism that had gotten them there wasn't enough against said opponent. They were up against a team with the same speed and athleticism that also had the ability to posses the ball. I honestly think had they been forced to play a little more offense earlier in their season and maybe take a couple losses along the way they wouldn't have had such a let down when they made it to the ship. 

The coach has a right to do whatever he wants, after all it's his team.  I can also choose to think what I want of his style.  Keep in mind others before me have been pretty hard on them in here for this very reason long before my comment was made.

I completely understand and respect your take on this style of play.  As I alluded to chaoslord I assumed that's what you were getting at.  What I was questioning was your insinuation that they weren't attempting to play the game.  I guess what was left out was they don't attempt to play the game in the manner that you find appealing or you think is best because they are certainly playing the game.  Call it sitting in, call it counterattacking, call it parking the bus, call it playing defensive, call it capitalizing on your opponents mistakes, or call it playing disruptive soccer, it's a style of play (minus the subs at the higher levels) that is used at virtually every level of the game.

futbolsoccer

i think, that race or color don't matter when it comes to a sport, where I live is a high percentage of Hispanic community and a high percentage of them don't play soccer.
is really the time and effort each kid put in to it.
the orientation will be the difference, most of Hispanic families are soccer oriented, but if you make you kid watch games, and practice with the ball just like they do for other sports, they will develop their skills.

when it comes to coaching, every coach have a different philosophy of the game, I have seen many team playing the long ball and use athleticism, to teams playing with a sweeper, on which the advantage your defense have with the offside is gone by playing with a sweeper, not mention that is playing wit a player less, because is just waiting for the ball to come.

soccer is  tactically, skill, technical sport. coaches do what  they  know or can, unfortunately many of them never  play the gamer before, to really purchase what players do for them.

and I know everything is about winning, but when we start teaching the fundamentals of the game, we will see the beauty of it, different formations depending on the talent of players, how the other coach read the gane to make adjustments, posses the ball more and build plays.

BullDogFan72

Quote from: Buck183 on February 18, 2018, 07:29:12 pm
Your program is lucky to have him.  He will do good things there.  He will get the best out of them every time they take the pitch.

+1

Lets Go 5

Jonesboro Soccer

Quote from: Buck183 on February 15, 2018, 11:14:43 pm

Mountain Home and Jonesboro tried to get a game this year, but Mountain Home already had a benefit game and Jonesboro was already on a two year contract (currently the 2nd year) with Little Rock Central and Searcy. Next year we are back on the schedule for the new alignment.

Don't forget about Hall though. Hall was also undefeated I believe in conference last year and it was a 3 way tie. All teams have to still take care of business on the field or it won't matter matter for this year.

As far as the comments about Mountain Home. Bryan did a great job in Mountain Home. He's now the head football coach so he'll just be helping from time to time when he can with soccer, but his assistant from the previous years is the new head coach so there probably won't be much change. Is it a frustrating style to play against? Sure is, but it works. He has no need to change and play a style we all "like", because if he can play a style that makes your life as an attacking offense hard then he should keep doing it if it's working for him.

Mountain Home always has a group of players that buy into the system and give you everything they have for the 80 minutes of the game they are in. The kids up there have a lot of heart and ability and that's why they've been so successful. Hopefully Bryan still comes around that program because he's a great guy and has done a lot for them.

As far as we go- We have two OOC games v Searcy and Central and two tournaments, one in Cabot we will be in and one in Paragould. In Cabot Jonesboro will play Hamburg, Van Buren, and Searcy. In Paragould we play GCT and the rest TBA.  We are still trying to work a game out for a benefit game with Parkview so hopefully that works out.

Good Luck to everyone this season. Hopefully your team can stay healthy and make a strong run this year.

The Format got messed up trying to copy and paste but you'll get the idea. Here is the Jonesboro Schedule.
Date                   Day         Opponent     Location   Time/Team
February 27   Tuesday   Searcy   Jonesboro   Girls 5/Guys 7   

March 1           Thursday   Brookland   Jonesboro     JV Girls at 5, JV Boys at 7

March 2/3         Friday/Saturday   Cabot Tournament- Hamburg, Van Buren, Searcy   Varsitty Boys Only 5:30, 1:00, 5:30

March 5               Monday   Paragould   Jonesboro   JV Boys 4, Girls 5, Guys 7

March 6              Tuesday   Little Rock Central   Little Rock   JV Boys 4, Guys 5, Girls 7

March 8             Thursday   Nettleton   Nettleton   Girls 5, Guys 7

March 9               Friday   BIC            Jonesboro   JV Boys 5

March 12               Monday   GCT           GCT          JV Boys 4, Girls 5, Guys 7

March 15              Thursday   Marion   Marion   Girls 5, Guys 7

March 26               Monday    Valley View Jonesboro   JV Boys 4, Girls 5, Guys 7

March 29             Thursday   West Memphis   West Memphis   Girls 5, Guys 7

March 30/31   Friday/Saturday   Paragould Tournament (GCT at 4:00 Friday, the rest TBA)

GCT Friday, rest TBA   Guys 4:00 Friday

April 2   Monday   Wynne   Jonesboro   Girls 5, Guys 7

April 5   Thursday   Paragould   Paragould   JV Boys 4, Girls 5, Guys 7

April 9   Monday   Nettleton   Jonesboro   Girls 5, Guys 7

April 10   Tuesday   Paragould   Paragould   JV Boys 5

April 12   Thursday   GCT   Jonesboro    JV Boys 4, Girls 5, Guys 7

April 16   Monday    Marion   Jonesboro   Girls 5, Guys 7

April 19   Thursday   Valley View   Valley View   JV Boys 4, Girls 5, Guys 7

April 23   Monday   West Memphis   Jonesboro    Girls 5, Guys 7

April 26   Thursday   Wynne   Wynne   Girls 5, Guys 7

April 28 Conference Tournament   Saturday   TBA   TBA    TBA
May 1 Conference Tournament   Tuesday   TBA   TBA   TBA
May 5 Conference Tournament    Saturday   TBA   TBA   TBA

May 10,11,12 State Tournament   Thursday, Friday, Saturday   TBA   Russellville    TBA
JONESBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER SCHEDULE

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas