• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jonesboro Westside Warriors

Started by Bbal789, December 25, 2017, 09:54:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: Livewire on January 31, 2018, 02:25:54 pm
I'd like to commend Avery Felts, not for his outstanding game performance (he does that every game), but for how well he handled the situation last night when the Brookland player was intentionally fouling and mouthing at him. IMO the Brookland player was trying to get Avery to react in a negative manner and Avery showed his maturity by staying calm. The really sad part about the Brookland players actions is the fact that coach (I use that designation loosely) Gross condoned it! Had the table been turned and a Westside player showed that kind of disrespect and bad sportsmanship, coach Whitmire would have had him on the bench immediately.

Congratulations to all the Westside players for playing great team ball and having good sportsmanship. Go Warriors!

Neutral party here, wasn't there to see it, but I heard the Felts kid was trash talking the Brookland bench and the coaches. I wouldn't mind it either way though, that's part of the game. Tough defense and trash talk makes the game better. Stuff like that goes both ways.

Hatchet

I was there and you have it wrong.  The 7th grade Coach from Brookland was the one who mouthed at the player from Westside. There is never a good reason for a opposing coach to talk to a player from the other team.

J12

Isn't Bill Taylor the 7th grade coach?

OB11

Quote from: J12 on February 01, 2018, 12:15:44 pm
Isn't Bill Taylor the 7th grade coach?

That's what I thought. But I wasn't sure if he was trying to insult him by just calling him a 7th grade coach if he actually didn't know who he was. Lol

J12

Bill yelled at the Felts Kkd after a missed shot by Felts. Told him he was "selfish". Rich coming from Bill, I know. Felts told Curtis Tate (ref) that he shouldn't be talking to players. Gross admitted after the game they were trying to get in the head of Avery after half. Maybe Bill took the message to heart...

Bill apologized afterwards to Felts and told him he was "D1".

Wasn't a good look for the Brookland coaching staff there in the 2nd half.

501Arkansas

Quote from: Livewire on January 29, 2018, 02:04:01 pm
Westside's loss to Osceola, while painful, it wasn't totally unexpected. Osceola is an excellent team and it is true that it's hard to beat a team 3 times. Factor in the fact that Rielly had been down with the flu, and wasn't nearly 100%, and that's the result. Not trying to make excuses just stating a fact.
Looking forward to playing Brookland at the Warrior Dome tomorrow night .
You made a BIG excuse so stop it. No way Westside was going to come to Osceola and beat Osceola even if the kid was 100%. Westside haven't beaten Osceola at Osceola since the 2010-2011 season. Since the 2006-07 season Osceola is 11-8 against Westside.

Livewire

You are entitled to you your opinion, but if you think Riely was anywhere near 100% then you haven't watched him play much. I haven't disparaged Osceola in any way. They are a great team and I will be surprised if they aren't in strong contention for a state title and I wish them luck.
I'll have to assume you stats are correct concerning game history between them. I really don't know. What I do know is that Westside has defeated them twice this year!

J12

I've seen Westside play more than Osceola however of their 3 games head to head,  Westside has won by a combined total of 1 or 2  points.

Splitting hairs here. Osceola is my pick to win 3A. Westside has more of an uphill battle. The regional tournament Westside is in should have 4-5 teams that could make a legit run for a state title.

I would have added brookland in the mix but their play of late might not get them out of the district tournament.

Bbal789

Every team in 4a has an uphill battle this year. Any team could beat another on any given day. Westside does have the best offense in 4a in my opinion. I think they are a better 3 point shooting team than Pea Ridge from last year. Avery Felts should get some D1 recognition I mean that man has some deep range!

501Arkansas

Quote from: Livewire on February 01, 2018, 05:08:00 pm
You are entitled to you your opinion, but if you think Riely was anywhere near 100% then you haven't watched him play much. I haven't disparaged Osceola in any way. They are a great team and I will be surprised if they aren't in strong contention for a state title and I wish them luck.
I'll have to assume you stats are correct concerning game history between them. I really don't know. What I do know is that Westside has defeated them twice this year!
100% or 1000% they wasn't going to beat Osceola @ Osceola

J12

501Arkansas

Livewire

Quote from: J12 on February 01, 2018, 05:35:36 pm
I've seen Westside play more than Osceola however of their 3 games head to head,  Westside has won by a combined total of 1 or 2  points.

Splitting hairs here. Osceola is my pick to win 3A. Westside has more of an uphill battle. The regional tournament Westside is in should have 4-5 teams that could make a legit run for a state title.

I would have added brookland in the mix but their play of late might not get them out of the district tournament.
[/quote

I think you may need to check the score of the NEA tournament game. I'm not positive but think the score was 81-75. However, in a close game the final score is often not a true indication of just how close the game was. Example; Team 1 is behind and has to foul to get the ball. Team 2 makes the ft's and team 1 has to put up a quick shot and misses.....this scenario could repeat. Result could be a larger margin of victory than what would have been had team 1 not had to gamble.
Osceola won a close game. Westside won two.

J12

Ok. I've watched all 3 games. In person. Osceola and Westside are on the same level.  I'm aware of the overall win totals. Just stating an opinion. It really doesn't matter at this point because they won't play again and could both win a state title in their respective classification.

Runnin With The Pack

Westside defeats Harrisburg tonight, 77-43.  Now 16-5 overall and 13-1 in conference.

J12

Westside with 87-74 win at Rivercrest tonight. Warriors look to take the outright conference championship Friday with a home game against Manila. 

Bbal789

Avery Felts had 41 points and Riley Felkins had 32 points in Westside's win over Rivercrest

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Bbal789 on February 07, 2018, 03:27:36 pm
Avery Felts had 41 points and Riley Felkins had 32 points in Westside's win over Rivercrest
73 of the 87 came from 2 players???

J12

Hold on. Let me grab my calculator...

Bbal789

Avery Felts and Riley Felkins usually score the majority of the points but Cullen Felkins and Gage Sheffield are very capable of scoring over 20 points on any given night especially if they are hitting their shots. All these players are high volume shooters.

ISU7

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 09, 2018, 10:04:40 am
73 of the 87 came from 2 players???
Yup and with Crest getting call for at least 30+ fouls to Westside 12 half of those pts came from the ft line.

Livewire

Looks like Rivercrest needs to play cleaner ball and stop fouling so much. Especially against good free throw shooting teams.

J12

Rivercrest is undisciplined and it shows. 2 technicals as well. No need to defend that. It is what is is. Congrats to to the Warriors on a 15-1 conference season. The true test lies over the next couple of weeks.

Livewire

Agreed. East regional should have 6-7 teams capable of winning state.
Other regions...not so much. Only see 2-3 that could get past 1st round.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Livewire on February 10, 2018, 02:50:15 pm
Agreed. East regional should have 6-7 teams capable of winning state.
Other regions...not so much. Only see 2-3 that could get past 1st round.
Please inform me of these 6 or 7 teams that can win state from the East?

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 12, 2018, 11:07:48 am
Please inform me of these 6 or 7 teams that can win state from the East?

Jonesboro Westside, Batesville Southside, Baptist Prep, Stuttgart, ESTEM, Helena Central and Brookland are all in the MAXpreps top 10.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on February 12, 2018, 12:28:11 pm
Jonesboro Westside, Batesville Southside, Baptist Prep, Stuttgart, ESTEM, Helena Central and Brookland are all in the MAXpreps top 10.
So only 4 of those teams can make it to state, correct?

J12

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Then I would say only 4 teams from the East have a chance to win state.

J12

On paper the blended conference made SOME sense, in reality it's awful.

Brick Tamland

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 12, 2018, 03:29:02 pm
Then I would say only 4 teams from the East have a chance to win state.

Then you would be wrong.  Yes only 4 teams will come out of the east.  However, any of those 7 could be one of those 4.  And whichever of those 6 or 7 teams that makes it out of regional they all will have the potential to win the state tournament.  Therefore, as of now there are 6 or 7 teams out of the East that have a chance to win state. 

I see what you did, you tried to call someone out on saying that the East had 6 or 7 teams that could win the state tournament by asking who they were.  Once they proved that they were correct, you tried to sound clever in your wording.  However, the original statement is correct the East has 6 or 7 teams that have the potential to win the state tournament. 

NEA Razorback olfan

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Brick Tamland on February 13, 2018, 08:44:07 am
Then you would be wrong.  Yes only 4 teams will come out of the east.  However, any of those 7 could be one of those 4.  And whichever of those 6 or 7 teams that makes it out of regional they all will have the potential to win the state tournament.  Therefore, as of now there are 6 or 7 teams out of the East that have a chance to win state. 

I see what you did, you tried to call someone out on saying that the East had 6 or 7 teams that could win the state tournament by asking who they were.  Once they proved that they were correct, you tried to sound clever in your wording.  However, the original statement is correct the East has 6 or 7 teams that have the potential to win the state tournament.
So still only 4 teams from the East will have the opportunity to win state.

Brick Tamland

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 13, 2018, 09:43:41 am
So still only 4 teams from the East will have the opportunity to win state.

No.   6 or 7 have the opportunity.  Using your logic, you might as well say only 2 teams from any region have the opportunity to win state.  And ultimately only one team from any region has the opportunity to win state. 

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Brick Tamland on February 13, 2018, 10:12:20 am
No.   6 or 7 have the opportunity.  Using your logic, you might as well say only 2 teams from any region have the opportunity to win state.  And ultimately only one team from any region has the opportunity to win state.
Actually using my logic you would say only 2 teams ultimately have the opportunity to win state, but using your logic we should just crown whoever wins the East... but why just one let's give all 6 or 7 the championship.

Bbal789

The other regions have better teams then they are given credit like Pottsville, Bauxite, Robinson, Pea Ridge etc.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Bbal789 on February 13, 2018, 10:59:03 am
The other regions have better teams then they are given credit like Pottsville, Bauxite, Robinson, Pea Ridge etc.
Oh, I know, but a few people think that the only region playing ball this year is the East. Which has some good teams, but don't count out the rest of the state.

LRRandy

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 13, 2018, 11:12:19 am
Oh, I know, but a few people think that the only region playing ball this year is the East. Which has some good teams, but don't count out the rest of the state.
nobody said the other regions weren't playing  ball. Just good ball is what they meant. The other regions are down.

Bbal789

Quote from: LRRandy on February 13, 2018, 12:58:08 pm
nobody said the other regions weren't playing  ball. Just good ball is what they meant. The other regions are down.

Yes some regions are down but they still have teams that could win state

J12

Back to OT. 

Westside and all teams will have a challenge next week. Should be a lot of fun to see it play out.

LRRandy

Quote from: Bbal789 on February 13, 2018, 01:30:40 pm
Yes some regions are down but they still have teams that could win state
I don't know who could make it through the gauntlet that is the east region. It's like the sec of Arkansas high school basketball.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: LRRandy on February 13, 2018, 03:36:32 pm
I don't know who could make it through the gauntlet that is the east region. It's like the sec of Arkansas high school basketball.
SEC basketball isn't all that great for a comparison...

J12

Westside will meet up with Gosnell tomorrow at 8:30. This will be their 3rd meeting.

LRRandy

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 14, 2018, 10:26:50 am
SEC basketball isn't all that great for a comparison...
oh, I see. So your saying Subi could make it through the sec? Gotcha.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: LRRandy on February 14, 2018, 01:35:27 pm
oh, I see. So your saying Subi could make it through the sec? Gotcha.
I'm not saying that at all, but it seems like these teams in the East could probably win the SEC and then the NCAA Championship the way y'all talk...

LRRandy

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 14, 2018, 02:05:09 pm
I'm not saying that at all, but it seems like these teams in the East could probably win the SEC and then the NCAA Championship the way y'all talk...
ok, I do agree with you. Baptist Prep could be an NCAA final four team this year.

pridgehog

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 14, 2018, 02:05:09 pm
I see where Subi is headed to Berryville next week for Regionals. Congrats!

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: pridgehog on February 14, 2018, 02:43:54 pm
I see where Subi is headed to Berryville next week for Regionals. Congrats!
Hung on to win in Overtime last night against Dardanelle. The Sandlizards play an amazing game last night an almost pulled off the upset. But thank you, now Subi faces Ozark tomorrow night, who playing really well.

J12

I'm thinking this Westside and Gosnell game will be good. See what I'm doing here.  This is a cool thread. Trying to stay on topic.

Livewire

Maybe....but it was 87-61 @ Gosnell and 97-53 @ the Warrior Dome  with Westside winning both, but anything can happen this time of the year. Just look at the other side of our region at what's happened.

I think the more exciting game will be the Brookland/Trumann matchup. I think a Brookland controlled tempo will give them the win and vice versa.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas