• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On to Soccer, Football Fans!!

Started by Intelligentsia, November 25, 2017, 09:50:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Intelligentsia

With football season behind us, I'd encourage you to learn about your local H.S. International Football team.  It really is a "beautiful game."  I know I'll see a couple of you on the Soccer thread, and hope to see the rest of you around the end of off season football for skilled players (otherwise known as basketball). 😉   Otherwise, I'll see you when I can join speculation posts about the Pioneer Football 2018 prospects.  Happy Holidays!!

MDXPHD

100 percent agree. I am moving onto the basketball and soccer boards as well. Happy holidays to you!

Maynard G Krebs

That soccer game, that soccer game,
I do not like that soccer game.
I consider it rather lame.

Dr. Maynard Seuss

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 25, 2017, 11:26:29 am

Dr. Maynard Seuss

I understand, Gilligan, it is a best suited viewing for intellectuals and European rednecks, neither of which may apply to a beatnik deck hand.

Overdahill

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 25, 2017, 11:35:21 am
I understand, Gilligan, it is a best suited viewing for intellectuals and European rednecks, neither of which may apply to a beatnik deck hand.

IDK, Hooligan and Gilligan kind of go together...at least sound wise

Maynard G Krebs

You two guys above are confused about ole Maynard G Krebs.  He is not Gilligan.  Beatnik, yes. But no bumbling first mate castaway!   And I stand firm on the soccer thing.  ;)

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 25, 2017, 11:53:28 am
You two guys above are confused about ole Maynard G Krebs.  He is not Gilligan.  Beatnik, yes. But no bumbling first mate castaway!   And I stand firm on the soccer thing.  ;)
Yes,  but the Gilligan dig was irresistible.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 25, 2017, 11:59:57 am
Yes,  but the Gilligan dig was irresistible.

As a beatnik,  I dig the "dig" 

JessieP

Of course I will support Pioneer soccer. Nelson will bring in a slew of new fans. I unfortunately am like 3/4 of all Americans, I become a soccer fan every fours years for the World Cup. It's hard to get too enthusiastic about anything America sucks at.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: JessieP on November 25, 2017, 01:21:42 pm
Of course I will support Pioneer soccer. Nelson will bring in a slew of new fans. I unfortunately am like 3/4 of all Americans, I become a soccer fan every fours years for the World Cup. It's hard to get too enthusiastic about anything America sucks at.

The Women's National Team would beg to differ with you there.

JessieP

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on November 27, 2017, 08:28:53 am
The Women's National Team would beg to differ with you there.

Point taken. Yes, our Women rock! I was cheering and screaming at the tv when we won it in 1999. Have watched every WWC since.

Go Postal

You can count me in guys on those forums also.  Somebody needs to start to catch up with Bentonville and Harrison's State Championship records.  PA is very close, but I would like to see the East to start rising in power and overcome the South and West and of course the privates from Central.
  I can see why Maynard and others do not understand the strategy, stamina and talent there is to play on a larger than football field for 2 straight 40 minute halves in high school because they see other countries playing like this...

When here in America we play a tougher version of the sport and don't play the clock through a "dive".  If there's no blood showing, get the f*** up and play on.  The rest of the World says we play through injury because we are used to more physical sports in the USA.  Maybe they are right, but we play to win through talent without the extra drama.  This goes for both men and women that play the sport.

Of course there's the problem why we have to call it soccer...

And some get confused by the name when it is quite simple...

But I do recommend that anyone that hasn't seen a real good soccer game, they need to watch in the Spring some of the Arkansas teams we have.  For instance, Bentonville boys/girls, Siloam Springs boys/girls, DeQueen and Hot Springs boys, Harrison or any private school girls are just a few.  You never know, you might start to understand the game and even like it.  That's what happened to me  when my son played.  There's more and more schools starting there own programs every year.  Heck even Alma has finally got on the bandwagon and hired a great coach to start their program.

NativeTexan

Thankfully, Arkansas is finally starting to move in the right direction in soccer.  There are currently several good club teams which are helping the overall school team system.

Intelligentsia

November 27, 2017, 11:31:35 pm #13 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:47:51 pm by Intelligentsia
Quote from: JessieP on November 25, 2017, 01:21:42 pm
I follow only two programs, Batesville and Lyon College.  I've not missed a BHS home game in several years.  We play more of a red-neck style soccer at Batesville and in general throughout the East - lacking a good number of skilled players, we are quite physical.  If my girl didn't get a yellow card as a defender, it was an unusual game.  Being built solidly at 5'8" 165, running fast for her size, and with a knack for angles, she faired quite well and especially liked shouldering up or running through players.  Slight miscalculations, however,  were sometimes ugly.

Go Postal

Quote from: NativeTexan on November 27, 2017, 10:05:18 pm
Thankfully, Arkansas is finally starting to move in the right direction in soccer.  There are currently several good club teams which are helping the overall school team system.
Sir Alex (who has played the sport in high school/club/college plus making a career of it as an administrator) has mentioned in the soccer forum that he has noticed the second and even third generation of players starting to play in Arkansas now. So we are slowly starting to catch up with the other States.  I love football but soccer is less expensive for a school to start a program than it is for a football program, hence more and more smaller schools having it as a new addition to their curriculum.  Which brings the new problem of aquiring more coaches that understand the game and.getting more qualified referees to officiate all the games being played through the State now.  But we are starting to get there.

Intelligentsia

November 28, 2017, 07:14:40 am #15 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:19:47 am by Intelligentsia
I appreciate the FF administrators allowing this thread some time on the football forum!! Hopefully the posts of some of the well respected 5-A Football posters will create enough interest that another handful of folks will go out and support their local soccer teams this spring.  My interest in soccer, created primarily through participation of my children, has another component that has grown in importance to me over the years.  Namely, the integration of Central and South American students into our school sports program and their families into our community.  Sports has, for many years, provided a wonderful opportunity for "integration."  And while this is unlike the integration of Black athletes years ago, it is still vitally important that young Hispanics become active and supported in high school activities.   As an school old administrator, I often remind folks that kids are going to be involved in some type of group and activity,  so let's make sure to encourage and support them when they choose to participate in school activities!!  Soapbox speech #467    (BTW, I know many/most players are "non-hispanic white ", a healthy soccer program provides a familiar activity to newly immigrated Hispanics into our communities, a little comfort food for those hungry for the familiar)

Go Postal

The sport has been a plus for the foreign exchange students from all over the World to play something that they have all of their life and being part of the school's sports program and as a athlete to also help them see first hand and understand other sports that are played in this country.  Football for example.

JessieP

I myself do appreciate the athletic beauty of soccer. I fear the grassroots growth of the sport may soon be derailed a bit. A close friend of mine, a Neurologist in Dallas, was telling me there is going to be a major study posted early next year stating that the major cause of minor concussions in kids 15 and under occur in soccer. We now know that a few "minor" concussions are every bit as damaging as one "major" concussion as it pertains to CTE. Personally I feel there has been a bit of overreaction in parents regarding CTE. We are seeing the carnage of the explosion of football in the 70's, 80's and 90's where the game was played quite savagely. Recent protocols are proving effective, we will see a big drop off in CTE in the coming years. My point is this, for a sport to become part of the National fiber it must start in the seed kernels. When you start to see as many David Beckham jerseys on children as you do Tom Brady jerseys then you have a National Pastime. It's obvious soccer is gaining and the kids deserve our support but it has a way to go.

Maybe we could "Tony Soprano" our way into a World Cup title, that would help. Come on, no one cheats better then the U, S of A. Lol. 

MDXPHD

Of course soccer has its risks, but if football can keep on going with all of their risks, I predict soccer will as well. Soccer has and always will be the world's most popular sport. It's growth in America will continue with the decline of football and it's grown huge in other parts of the states. Arkansas, and the south in general, is behind still. Jessie, you should come to a game with me and intelligentsia this spring.

Maynard G Krebs

Bowling is more exciting and has no CTE risks

AirWarren

Just to add my 2 cents worth......

Chelsea FC!!!!!!

AirWarren

Quote from: JessieP on November 28, 2017, 08:30:46 am
I myself do appreciate the athletic beauty of soccer. I fear the grassroots growth of the sport may soon be derailed a bit. A close friend of mine, a Neurologist in Dallas, was telling me there is going to be a major study posted early next year stating that the major cause of minor concussions in kids 15 and under occur in soccer. We now know that a few "minor" concussions are every bit as damaging as one "major" concussion as it pertains to CTE. Personally I feel there has been a bit of overreaction in parents regarding CTE. We are seeing the carnage of the explosion of football in the 70's, 80's and 90's where the game was played quite savagely. Recent protocols are proving effective, we will see a big drop off in CTE in the coming years. My point is this, for a sport to become part of the National fiber it must start in the seed kernels. When you start to see as many David Beckham jerseys on children as you do Tom Brady jerseys then you have a National Pastime. It's obvious soccer is gaining and the kids deserve our support but it has a way to go.

Maybe we could "Tony Soprano" our way into a World Cup title, that would help. Come on, no one cheats better then the U, S of A. Lol. 

I saw a kid in Kroger the other day with a Ronaldo jersey.

The sport is growing.

beach bum

November 28, 2017, 09:19:10 am #22 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:26:37 am by beach bum
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 25, 2017, 11:26:29 am

Dr. Maynard Seuss

Hey at least its not American football where 11 minutes of actual play happens in a 3 hour span.... All the rest of it is just shots of the commentators or shots of the crowd on the TV screen, or the players walking back to the huddle while the clock is rolling. Basketball and soccer holds my attention more than football now with the constant back and forth play. I left the Alabama football game in Fayetteville last year at halftime not because we were losing, but I had forgot how long college games take to play when a lot of plays are being ran especially throwing the football. 2 hours had gone by and I didn't want to sit through 45 minutes of halftime plus another 2 hours. That particular game was taking forever us throwing it playing catch up. Soccer and basketball has the 12-15 minute halftime and I know I am getting out of the arena or stadium in 2 hours with constant play those whole 2 hours practically. You can technically even easily go to basketball or soccer games on a work day even. You have to almost have a day off of work to make the football spectacle in college or pro.

JessieP

I think people are missing my point, I enjoy soccer. I agree it is growing but it will never overtake football in america. In 1982 60 Minutes ran a 27 minute segment (the average segment is 12 minutes) on the explosion of soccer popularity. They showed AYSO leagues popping up in every state. The segment said that by the year 2000 soccer could become as popular as football, missed that one! I hope soccer continues to grow, it's a great sport. I'm simply saying that we've heard the "The Red Coats are coming, the Red Coats are coming" chant for decades.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 28, 2017, 09:03:03 am
Of course soccer has its risks, but if football can keep on going with all of their risks, I predict soccer will as well. Soccer has and always will be the world's most popular sport. It's growth in America will continue with the decline of football and it's grown huge in other parts of the states. Arkansas, and the south in general, is behind still. Jessie, you should come to a game with me and intelligentsia this spring.

I absolutely will, I enjoy Pioneer sports. It's not like I have an excuse, I live in the Goff Addition. I could hit a golf ball to Pioneer Stadium from my from lawn (if I didn't suck at golf). 

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on November 28, 2017, 09:36:38 am
I absolutely will, I enjoy Pioneer sports. It's not like I have an excuse, I live in the Goff Addition. I could hit a golf ball to Pioneer Stadium from my from lawn (if I didn't suck at golf).

Just aim to the left. I feel like you're a guy who'd slice it more than hook it.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 28, 2017, 10:06:34 am
Just aim to the left. I feel like you're a guy who'd slice it more than hook it.

I usually shoot around 72, at Muni. At Eagle Mountain I'm a solid 150.

VHSCoach2

Maynard G Krebs

November 28, 2017, 11:35:40 am #28 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:02:09 pm by Maynard G Krebs

Intelligentsia

Quote from: JessieP on November 28, 2017, 10:50:52 am
I usually shoot around 72, at Muni. At Eagle Mountain I'm a solid 150.
What do you score on the back 9 at the muni?😎

AirWarren

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 28, 2017, 11:35:40 am
Well, maybe a little rask. 😜

Roy Munson on kingpin begs to differ regarding bowling risk.

Get it big ERN!

JessieP

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 28, 2017, 11:44:02 am
What do you score on the back 9 at the muni?😎

My back 9 at Muni is a beer and Nachos at Josie's.

Go Postal

Head injury is always possible for men or women, when you play a sport with the only protection is just shin guards...

Concussions is not the only thing you have to worry about in boys soccer.

I always try to explain to someone that doesn't understand the game is to think of it as using basketball offense and defense strategy to move the ball for a shot for the score on a larger than a football field playing pitch and doing that without timeouts for two 40 or 45 minute halves of constant running and not using your hands.

There's a lot of moves that you can do in soccer that you can't do in football and basketball.  (And yes, I have seen high school athletes do these in Harrison)
For instance a variation of the rainbow...

or the popular upside down bicycle kick...

But I guess that bowling has it own set of trick moves.also...

Go Postal

Here's some very useful information for parents new to the game and want to know more about the sport their child is playing.  It is also informative for the noobs that might want to check out a game in Spring.

http://www.miamiwestsc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=469835

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Go Postal on November 28, 2017, 09:26:47 pm
Here's some very useful information for parents new to the game and want to know more about the sport their child is playing.  It is also informative for the noobs that might want to check out a game in Spring.

http://www.miamiwestsc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=469835

Very good summary!  A newbie might also want to watch a short YouTube summary of offside, since that seems to be the source of frustration to those new to the game.

sevenof400

Quote from: Go Postal on November 28, 2017, 07:54:30 pm
Concussions is not the only thing you have to worry about in boys soccer.

Not meaning to quibble with my esteemed colleague, but that IS a concussion.

Of a serious and personal nature. 

Just ouch. 

AirWarren

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 29, 2017, 07:28:51 am

Just ouch. 

That's short disability and possible ICU stay.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 29, 2017, 06:53:28 am
Very good summary!  A newbie might also want to watch a short YouTube summary of offside, since that seems to be the source of frustration to those new to the game.

It might help, but I assure you, my team's offense was ALWAYS onside when the ball was played through.  ;)

Intelligentsia

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2017, 09:08:14 am
It might help, but I assure you, my team's offense was ALWAYS onside when the ball was played through.  ;)

Says you!!

MDXPHD

November 29, 2017, 11:08:28 am #39 Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:34:54 am by MDXPHD
Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 29, 2017, 10:07:32 am
Says you!!

I just know every time we were called offside, it was a terrible call and the AR wasn't looking or was out of position!

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 28, 2017, 09:08:15 am
Bowling is more exciting and has no CTE risks

Ha, tell that to Pete Weber.  Pretty sure that dude used to kill guys by just glaring at them.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 29, 2017, 07:28:51 am

Just ouch. 

That guy was back in the game 3 minutes later.  Soccer players have remarkable recovery times.  Just look at all the guys rolling around with broken legs that walk off the field on their own, or get carted off and return shortly afterward.

Go Postal

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 29, 2017, 03:45:10 pm
That guy was back in the game 3 minutes later.  Soccer players have remarkable recovery times.  Just look at all the guys rolling around with broken legs that walk off the field on their own, or get carted off and return shortly afterward.
That's what I call the European miracle sponge.  Trainers wipe it on the boo-boo and presto change-o, they're cured. They think that's part of the game, clock management.  I think that they're a bunch of

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on November 29, 2017, 10:15:53 pm
That's what I call the European miracle sponge.  Trainers wipe it on the boo-boo and presto change-o, they're cured. They think that's part of the game, clock management.  I think that they're a bunch of

I don't understand.  A bunch of kitties?

sevenof400

On a serious note (which is rare here, I know), I am very disappointed the movement to stop simulation seems to have lost all emphasis.  I'd like the 4th referee to keep track of the incidents where a player crumbles to a heap as if he were shot by recording the time of the incident.  If that player is magically back to their former self within a few minutes, that is a cardable offense. 

This crap can be stopped. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas