• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball 2017-2018

Started by BannerMountainMan, September 27, 2017, 11:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

If we don't end on that 15-4 run to end the half... We're toast. 33-28 and behind by 5 at half isn't bad all considering. I thought we were done tonight.

sportsguy80

Can't believe Gafford hasn't scored.

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on January 23, 2018, 07:09:56 pm
Can't believe Gafford hasn't scored.

It's amazing how no one will throw him the ball...

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on January 23, 2018, 07:14:29 pm
It's amazing how no one will throw him the ball...
He should get a touch every time we have the ball in the half court.

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on January 23, 2018, 07:17:55 pm
He should get a touch every time we have the ball in the half court.

Why does MA not even have Gafford in the game too? Is he fouled out?? Trey Thompson played awful in overtime...

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on January 23, 2018, 07:36:22 pm
Why does MA not even have Gafford in the game too? Is he fouled out?? Trey Thompson played awful in overtime...
Your guess is as good as mines. Barford and Macon played very selfish on those last couple of possessions.

beach bum

That was crazy and not ideal but I will take it as a win....It's going to take 2 or 3 more on the road to really have a decent season.

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on January 23, 2018, 07:52:23 pm
That was crazy and not ideal but I will take it as a win....It's going to take 2 or 3 more on the road to really have a decent season.
All I can say is wow...

beach bum

On a side note about college basketball in general. Anyone else see Virginia hold a fellow ranked team in Clemson to 36 points?? I watch their games sometimes and it can be some ugly basketball, but I haven't seen a team in a while like that in Virginia that will completely suck you into a half court defensive game that is so difficult to play in. Their defense is something all coaches at every level could learn something from.

bdubyab60

I didn't get to watch but I'll take every win we can get. Have to quit spotting teams double digit leads

thebigman3

Quote from: sportsguy80 on January 23, 2018, 07:38:51 pm
Your guess is as good as mines. Barford and Macon played very selfish on those last couple of possessions.
Seems like they do every time! I agree in clutch situations the ball should be in one of their hands, but at least get a good shot and don't force it. Macon is for sure bad about that.

sportsguy80

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 24, 2018, 09:26:31 am
Seems like they do every time! I agree in clutch situations the ball should be in one of their hands, but at least get a good shot and don't force it. Macon is for sure bad about that.
Yup. I'm just glad we got the win and hope we can build on it.

bdubyab60

Amazing we are 9-1 in our last one possession games. Can't remember anything looking like a drawn up play to get a bucket.

I guess it's just dribble the clock down take a contested or rushed shot. Hope it goes in or Qualls comes in and dunks it.

Also means that win we lose more often than not the game wasn't close for the most part

Trojanbird

Qualls??  I don't think he has played at all this year!

bdubyab60

It's just a call back to that play against Kentucky and the way it continues to be to this day.

Trojanbird

Why don't we work the ball through the post?  Is it me, but it seems that post play is a thing of the past.  Basketball has turned into a jump shooters game!  IMO

thebigman3

Quote from: Trojanbird on January 24, 2018, 10:55:32 pm
Why don't we work the ball through the post?  Is it me, but it seems that post play is a thing of the past.  Basketball has turned into a jump shooters game!  IMO
For sure. Even the big man now are turning into shooters to get the ball.

beach bum

Huge game today... Hope we don't lay an egg on national TV like last year against OK State

OB11

What do yall think about Anderson's extention?

beach bum

Quote from: OB11 on January 27, 2018, 03:09:46 pm
What do yall think about Anderson's extention?

He seriously just got an extension? I like MA and am not a hater but that is ridiculous. We need to see how this season plays out.

bleudog

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on January 27, 2018, 06:07:16 pm
https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/events/123813/box_score

The last 10 seconds of the half if we end up losing by a few points will be what cost us... That was a 4 point swing when Thompson air balled a lay up then the guy for OK State drives the court and hits a buzzer beater.

bdubyab60

Well supposedly Long stated this extension talk after last season. Send Long was not worried about true success. IMO.

The article on it only mentioned the last two years success. Which we have had, can't deny that. Again IMO we are not where we should be.

This should have absolutely happened at the end of the season.

We are in another dogfight at home. Having to come from behind against a bunch of sophomores.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on January 27, 2018, 06:09:44 pm
The last 10 seconds of the half if we end up losing by a few points will be what cost us... That was a 4 point swing when Thompson air balled a lay up then the guy for OK State drives the court and hits a buzzer beater.
Kid just runs straight through the middle of us

bdubyab60

Our depth should pay off in the game. OSU is missing two starters

bleudog

January 27, 2018, 06:44:31 pm #225 Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:46:32 pm by bleudog
Did the TV folks say The OkSU is playing with eight scholy players tonight?

bdubyab60

Yep. Think they played 6 sophomores tonight. Could be wrong. One of their better players didn't even make the trip and another didn't dress out because of injury. So they were down to one pG.

And we struggle to beat them. How those last attempts didn't go down I'll never know

But hey a wins a win. I guess

You can expect games like this every once in a while but this is every game now. Not one game with a complete offensive and defensive performance put together. At some point the corner is going to be turned one way or another

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 27, 2018, 07:40:55 pm
Yep. Think they played 6 sophomores tonight. Could be wrong. One of their better players didn't even make the trip and another didn't dress out because of injury. So they were down to one pG.

And we struggle to beat them. How those last attempts didn't go down I'll never know

But hey a wins a win. I guess

You can expect games like this every once in a while but this is every game now. Not one game with a complete offensive and defensive performance put together. At some point the corner is going to be turned one way or another

That was the first thing I said... I am a little surprised they didn't call a foul on the first shot then on the put back I could not believe it did not go in. OK State had to go ice cold too for us to win.

thebigman3

Macon won SEC player of the week.

beach bum

Texas A&M on the road tonight followed by a trip to Baton Rouge on Saturday. We must win one of these on the road because both of these teams are below us in the standings. Also, we need to redeem that horrible performance we showed against LSU at the Bud.

bdubyab60

bdubyab60

Might wanna start guarding the 3 point line in this one

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 30, 2018, 09:11:39 pm
Might wanna start guarding the 3 point line in this one

Literally down by one at half and they start the first 4 minutes on a 17-5 run to start blowing us away.... smh

sportsguy80

Well this game went south fast...

Ctucker

beach bum

Quote from: Ctucker on January 30, 2018, 09:29:56 pm
We still suck!

It's getting very disheartening that every game we win we pull it out by the skin of our teeth, and when we lose we get steam rolled.

sportsguy80

Inconsistent sums up our team and season!

bdubyab60

The good news. Probably still in the tourney. Will take several losses to knock us out.

The bad. We still look horrible even when we win. The stretch's of no defense or no offense are killing us.

IMO this is what we are and what we are going to be for the the foreseeable future. Especially with this staff. MAs unwillingness or stubbornness to change or even make simple adjustments in game is maddening.

When we can't push pace we struggle offensively. We are a poor defensive team that plays defense in spurts. Lack of any kind of halfcourt offense is inexcusable. Not saying it's got to be Princeton but just a couple sets instead of our stagnant motion offense we run.

I'm a fan so I watch, I complain, I hope we get better but I expect better as well. This is not what I think of when I think of Arkansas Basketball

Trojanbird

Like I said before, lack of discipline and poor coaching.  Neither of which will change as long as Mike is here.  IMO

cuckoobird

I agree, coaching is the issue. Time to let mike go but the smart people just gave him an extension.

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 31, 2018, 07:53:57 am
I agree, coaching is the issue. Time to let mike go but the smart people just gave him an extension.

The word is surprise, surprise..... That this was agreed and signed when Long was AD in the fall and they just announced it now?? I think we are seeing more and more reason why Long went packing when Bert if that is true. Long was such an idiot.

thebigman3

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 31, 2018, 07:53:57 am
I'm still not giving up on Anderson. He isn't a great recruiter, no, but he is a good coach I think. He also brings a crowd. When Pelphrey was here I don't ever remember it being sold out this many times in a season. He was good his first two years, but after that wasn't much of anything. Consistency is the key and Anderson has made the Tournament 2 of the last 3 seasons. Just can't get over big baby blue. Last year they almost beat them, and I think they would have but how do the refs miss a charge and before that a walk? Arkansas is not playing good right now, and they do need to pick it up, but I'm not sold that we need to get rid of Anderson just yet.

bdubyab60

I see the UNC game posted a lot. As some kind of marker as if we are almost there. It's a game we didn't close out, bottom line. But some of the same things we have been seeing this entire time came up at the end of the game. Instead of playing aggressive the ball went to one player and stopped. Looking for a call from a ref instead attacking. That's what really cost us in that game.

Hville is littered with blame the refs topics. There is a reason our foul count is always higher. Just watch how we play defense. A lot of teaching and slapping. We have one player that moves his feet to play defense and that's Hall. The defense we play where we end up with Gafford at halfcourt guarding a guard can only lead to one thing and that's fouling.

It's absolutely ridiculous to blame refs when we are as inconsistent as all get out.

It's also not ok for us just to get in the tourney. I expect a run in the tourney. Not every year but at least a run and that's been a minute. That run should have been this year but it's really hard to see that coming with the way have played for a month. This isn't a slump this is this team.

MA is an ok coach. He wins, he's an ok recruiter but there's issues here. Most every player he gets seems to be a project. An athlete that happens to play basketball. Just not pure basketball players. Or at least that's my opinion.

But this current team is absolutely been poorly coached through this stretch and he has some egos in this team. They are way to spot.

And until proven otherwise this is absolutely our ceiling. 1 and done. One post season ranking and one week at 22.

I want relevance on the National stage. This program can be that and should be. I find it strange that folks are happy with just getting in. We want hardware of some kind.

thebigman3

I imagine it is posted a lot cause they won. I see what your saying though. He is an ok recruiter. But I think he is a good coach. He did well at Missouri and has made us at least a winning program again. I would like to see a run at the sweet 16.. May not happen this year though.

beach bum

Again.... What a shocker.... Our defense stinks. We aren't even trying some possessions. Ready for Beard to not be on this team anymore. He does not even try on defense sometimes.

Trojanbird

Don't you just love watching Gafford guarding the guy bringing the ball up the court?   ???

bdubyab60

Sometimes I drive the 3/4 of mile up to the high school gym. On some of those nights I see coach's making adjustments, drawing up plays and motivating players.

I haven't seen that in one game this year or in his tenure here. Really tough to watch

Trojanbird

But he talks a good game just like Biellma did!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 03, 2018, 04:50:15 pm
Sometimes I drive the 3/4 of mile up to the high school gym. On some of those nights I see coach's making adjustments, drawing up plays and motivating players.

I haven't seen that in one game this year or in his tenure here. Really tough to watch

Fans got what they wanted tho

Trojanbird

I don't think the fans would have given him an extension on his contact though!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas