• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March Madness 2017

Started by beach bum, March 05, 2017, 03:56:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

March 05, 2017, 03:56:19 pm Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:05:19 pm by beach bum
Let's get the discussion started and we will get it going since it is conference tournament time...... Who are some of you guys thinking are the favorite in your mind? Maybe a sleeper team?

beach bum

March 05, 2017, 04:01:48 pm #1 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:05:30 pm by beach bum
I think my pick would be Villanova to win it all based upon their experience. A sleeper team in my mind would be Maryland for me. They will be a decent seed, but I could see them going far not as a top seed. They have a great veteran point guard in Melo Trimble and a great defense. And below are the teams who have booked a ticket to the dance so far as of now...

-Jacksonville State
-Winthrop(decent little team and possible upset for someone)
-Florida Gulf Coast
-Wichita State

WPWells

My "out on a limb" prediction:

Two schools that are affiliated with my denomination of Christianity will play in the final four, and one will lift the trophy.

Longfellow

I guess you're saying Baylor and Villanova in the Final Four?

Longfellow

Wait nevermind you said your denomination. Who's Methodist besides SMU?

AirWarren

Quote from: WPWells on March 06, 2017, 12:30:03 am

Two schools that are affiliated with my denomination of Christianity will play in the final four, and one will lift the trophy.

You Catholic?

The ZAGS!?

Longfellow

I do this every year, but I'll make my homer pick and say Louisville wins it

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on March 06, 2017, 12:30:03 am

SMU is one and for sure is a sleeper pick. They have the physicality that good power conference schools have. I did not realize Duke had religious affiliation either, but does so I think that may be the other one? Duke is one of the best campuses and schools in the country.

WPWells

Yep, Duke and SMU - both United Methodist schools, and both schools that I believe will play in the final four.

OB11

UCLA wins the whole thing.  Despite LaVar Ball being "that" dad.

Redwolves8526

I'd like to see Kentucky make it deep. I want to see Malik in the final 4.

mtindian42

Since my Buckeyes did not make the tourney again! See ya Thad it was nice knowing you! I'll go with Kentucky to win it all! Pulling for monk...

beach bum

Quote from: mtindian42 on March 09, 2017, 11:07:14 pm
Since my Buckeyes did not make the tourney again! See ya Thad it was nice knowing you! I'll go with Kentucky to win it all! Pulling for monk...

It is reported Thad is staying.... so the previous great 7 years were great for you and just throw him away? One more year of no NCAA tourney and I say yes, but the guy was unreal his first 7 years there. Are you Buckeyes fans as bad as Indiana fans? They want their coach fired and he has won 2 of the last 4 Big Ten titles...

Longfellow

I heard a sportswriter from Indiana talking about this recently. They expect final fours and national championships every year not just big ten titles

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on March 10, 2017, 05:34:04 pm
I heard a sportswriter from Indiana talking about this recently. They expect final fours and national championships every year not just big ten titles

That is very true, and it probably stung worse for Hoosier fans seeing Purdue win the outright Big Ten title this year too

beach bum

Even if we lose today did getting to 25 total wins get Arkansas up to a 7 seed and away from the 8/9 game.... I think 25 wins is worthy of a 7 seed. They can only alter seeds so much 2 hours before the bracket is released, but I have no idea how we can't be a 6 if we beat the Cats today. That would be 26 wins and the SEC tourney crown.

BigLion10

Hogs getting shafted early on this game

1-Adam-12

I think an 8 is fair for the Hogs.  I was hoping for a 7, but I'll take a game with Seton Hall for the right to play UNC.

Wichita State is unquestionably the team that got shafted by the committee.  I thought they would be no worse than a 6.  There were others (SMU for example) who I thought would be higher, but for the Shockers to be a 10 is a travesty.

Provided they beat Dayton, I would love to see a WSU-UK matchup.

BannerMountainMan

ESPN Bracket Challenge:
Name- Backboard Shattered
Motto- Do more with less
Join

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on March 12, 2017, 06:54:40 pm
I think an 8 is fair for the Hogs.  I was hoping for a 7, but I'll take a game with Seton Hall for the right to play UNC.

Wichita State is unquestionably the team that got shafted by the committee.  I thought they would be no worse than a 6.  There were others (SMU for example) who I thought would be higher, but for the Shockers to be a 10 is a travesty.

Provided they beat Dayton, I would love to see a WSU-UK matchup.

My exact thoughts on Wichita State... I don't care who you are playing you don't get 30 wins without being a really good team. And I think the Seton Hall matchup is interesting because the clashing styles.

BannerMountainMan

Cmon Princeton I need you..why In the world would I pick Princeton over Dame in 5 of my 6 brackets

beach bum

Princeton missed a three that would have won the game with about 3 seconds left. South Dakota State is hanging with Gonzaga early too.

Longfellow

I think I have the Irish in the Sweet 16 in most of my brackets. And Bucknell is fighting back against West Virginia. If they pull the upset, I'm done in a lot of contests

BannerMountainMan

beach bum

March 16, 2017, 06:44:58 pm #24 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:50:14 pm by beach bum
Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2017, 05:46:29 pm
Jacorey Williams my man

That leads me to another reason why I like Mike Anderson. In an interview yesterday he was brought up and MA took the high road and said he was happy for Jacorey. When that fiasco happened with those 3 guys I am sure they all were told they had a zero tolerance policy and would be given a 2nd chance to stay a Hog. Jacorey proceeded to get in trouble again and MA had to let him go. Luckily, for his sake Middle Tennessee gave him even another chance. Mike said he was happy that Jacorey was on track to graduate from college now that he found another school. I am glad we have a basketball coach who knows how to speak unlike the blabber mouth idiot we have for a football coach.

Longfellow

Too bad he can't coach though

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on March 16, 2017, 07:39:44 pm
Too bad he can't coach though

How so? He won 25 games this year and did 2 years ago. With what is coming in good recruiting classes for his first time at Arkansas I will be shocked if we don't win roughly 24-27 games the next 3 out of 4 years I would be shocked. He has never had a losing season in his three stops in the last 15 years at UAB, Missouri, and here now.  You can't really call someone a bad coach with the totality of what he has done overall and finally looks to be getting on track here.

Longfellow

25 wins in the SEC. He beat up on weak teams down the stretch. How many wins against tournament teams?

AirWarren

The idiots on CBS need to talk basketball. Not freaking stupid politics. I swear it's constant complaining anywhere you turn on the tv.

BannerMountainMan

To bad you can't @ him shortfellar

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on March 16, 2017, 08:30:49 pm
The idiots on CBS need to talk basketball. Not freaking stupid politics. I swear it's constant complaining anywhere you turn on the tv.

Definitely! Even if I agree with what they are saying I change the channel and turn it back a few minutes later hoping the conversation is over to get back to the sports at hand.

WPWells

13-3 on day 1. Didn't lose any Sweet Sixteen teams

Not bad

bdubyab60

I thought Vandy was supposed to have smart players.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 17, 2017, 08:55:14 am
I thought Vandy was supposed to have smart players.

There is a reason he has been in Drew's dog house all season even being as talented as he is.

AirWarren

The reaves kid from Arkansas on Wichita state looks good so far.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: AirWarren on March 17, 2017, 08:01:57 pm
The reaves kid from Arkansas on Wichita state looks good so far.
he went 0-1 and played like 9 minutes?? Lol

AirWarren

BigLion10

Longfellow

And I'm officially done with the NCAA tournament

AirWarren

Quote from: Longfellow on March 19, 2017, 01:21:24 pm
And I'm officially done with the NCAA tournament

Haha. I got too many stressors going on in life. So I passed up on the added stress of doing a bracket this year.

Indiana Jones

the almighty ACC almost had all their teams knocked out before the sweet 16
the lousy SEC has 3 still alive

Romeo

One thing for sure after watching college basketball this week, the NCAA has a bad problem with officiating. Makes me gain a new respect for NBA officials.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Indiana Jones on March 19, 2017, 10:31:08 pm
the almighty ACC almost had all their teams knocked out before the sweet 16
the lousy SEC has 3 still alive

Really it should be 4 from the SEC and none from the ACC.  Even as a fan of a team from the ACC, it's pretty obvious that Arkansas got jobbed on the no-charge, no-travel play where the UNC guy did both.  That was a pretty big no-call.  Duke and Notre Dame lived by the 3 during the season, and died by it in the postseason.  FSU is freakish athletically, but cannot run a half-court offense against a zone defense.  The other ACC teams were really not that good and got the benefit of the doubt because of conference affiliation, kind of like the SEC with football.

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on March 20, 2017, 11:27:08 am
Really it should be 4 from the SEC and none from the ACC.  Even as a fan of a team from the ACC, it's pretty obvious that Arkansas got jobbed on the no-charge, no-travel play where the UNC guy did both.  That was a pretty big no-call.  Duke and Notre Dame lived by the 3 during the season, and died by it in the postseason.  FSU is freakish athletically, but cannot run a half-court offense against a zone defense.  The other ACC teams were really not that good and got the benefit of the doubt because of conference affiliation, kind of like the SEC with football.
Jobbed is putting it lightly haha

Longfellow

I don't think y'all are giving enough credit to the teams that beat the ACC teams. West Virginia has an unholy defense. Unholy. Get it? They played Notre Dame 😁Notre Dame was one of the most efficient offensive teams in the nation this season, but WVU forced them into a lot of bad shots. Michigan was a very overlooked team this year. After the first round game, Rick Pitino said how much he hates playing Michigan because John Beilein is such a good coach. Louisville and Florida State were both over seeded. Oregon should've been the 2 and UL the 3. FSU should've been a 5 seed. They beat some good teams but lost to some really bad teams. I didn't watch the Ark/UNC game, but didn't Arkansas fail to capitalize on some missed UNC free throws in the final minute? Hard to blame the refs for losing when you miss the shots you needed to win. That said, I heard they did miss a big call down the stretch

mtindian42

Let's go monk and Kentucky

beach bum

Thornwell from South Carolina is going to be a stud in the NBA. I would take him over Monk any day. Thornwell is a stud on BOTH ends of the floor.

Longfellow

I don't know. Thornwell hasn't been on any mock drafts before the last couple. Teams will pass on him because of his age and lack of upside. Late 2nd round is definitely on the table though

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on March 24, 2017, 09:11:55 pm
I don't know. Thornwell hasn't been on any mock drafts before the last couple. Teams will pass on him because of his age and lack of upside. Late 2nd round is definitely on the table though

I would be willing to have a friendly wager that he goes in the first round..... And I hope he falls at the end of the 1st round to a team already winning. He has Kawhi Leonard style in him. There is no way a player gets player of the year in one of the 6 or 7 main basketball leagues and drops to the last 10 picks in the 2nd round.

BigLion10

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs take him round 1 if he falls to them lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas