• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for advice youth basketball.

Started by Gray lizard, December 05, 2016, 10:08:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

I am coaching a 5th grade girls team.  We played a game Saturday.  The officials would not call fouls and the game got out of control.  I am not talking about a foot dragged or that type thing.  Several girls were pushed to the floor and ball stolen. They allowed to much contact.  They allowed defenders to run through and slap the ball handler.  The other teams ball handler was pushing off with her arm to get past the defender.  Only time they blew a whistle was for held ball.  I told the official near me during the game he needs to call fouls.  I even said look my girl is committing a foul call it. He did nothing.

I coach my girls to not make contact with the other player while defending them.  This put my team at a big disadvantage.  What can I do as a coach?  I have decided if this happens again to call a time out and ask to speak to the officials and other coach.  If they will not control the game.  I am going to pull my players off the court.

Rulesman

The first place to go would be the person(s) who run your league. Let them know your concerns as they are probably responsible (or have delegated that authority) for hiring the officials.

Gray lizard

I did contact the person in charge of our league.  I also contacted the coach of the game after us.  I found out it was their first time to call a game.  The other coach knows one of the guys.  He said they also let their game get out of control.  He talked to the guy and let him know he has to limit the contact by calling fouls and set a tone for the play.  I hope they learn and will not bring it up again unless it presents its self again.  I will pull my team if this happens again.

Rulesman

Quote from: Gray lizard on December 05, 2016, 12:54:18 pm
I did contact the person in charge of our league.  I also contacted the coach of the game after us.  I found out it was their first time to call a game.  The other coach knows one of the guys.  He said they also let their game get out of control.  He talked to the guy and let him know he has to limit the contact by calling fouls and set a tone for the play.  I hope they learn and will not bring it up again unless it presents its self again.  I will pull my team if this happens again.
Pulling your team off the field is the WORST thing you can do. What example does that provide to your team? It's OK to quit?  It's up to the league to fix the problem by supplying at least one or two experienced officials to work with the younger guys.

Playing Devil's Advocate: this was their first game (your words, not mine). Were you perfect in the first game you coached? Were your players and assistant coaches perfect?  I doubt it. This is a huge shortage in the supply chain of available officials. We need new ones who will stick to it. Too many quit after a year or two because of the expected mentality of being perfect the first day and getting better thereafter. They have to start somewhere and that's usually in the middle school level.

Gray lizard

Oh let me be clear. I will pull them off the court to make my point and discuss with the officials and other coach.  I am not going to give the game to another team.  These were not young kids they were grown men. This was out of hand to the point of possible injury to a child. I will not set by and allow this to happen to my kids again.

I understand officials have to learn some where. That is why I asked how to deal with them. To prevent the game from getting out of control. And here is another question.  What do you tell the parent?  When their child is injured by an out of control player that has pushed child to the ground and into the wall several times.

Gray lizard

Another reason I know it must be hard to get officials. The game before us a lady calling the game with an infant in one of those carry harness.  That was a little bothersome to me, but they did a good job.

arreferee

Quote from: Gray lizard on December 05, 2016, 03:30:35 pm
Another reason I know it must be hard to get officials. The game before us a lady calling the game with an infant in one of those carry harness.  That was a little bothersome to me, but they did a good job.

???  That's a little dangerous.

blueandwhite

The age of the officials have nothing to do with this conversation, it is the experience of the officials. My next question is where did the league find these officials. Does the league hire the officials themselves, or do they work with the local officials association? Many of the local rec leagues work with the local officials association to get the newer officials court time.

Gray Lizard if your league works with the local association, have the person that runs your league talk to them about getting some officials with more experience to come and help the newer officials. If your league just get guys off the street, than you are out of luck.

If these officials are from your local association, please be patient with them. Just think by the time your daughter is in high school, these will be the same officials with 5 or 6 years experience by than and they will be calling your daughter's games when she is playing school ball. We need all the officials we can get, the average age of officials is getting older and older every year.

Rulesman

Quote from: Gray lizard on December 05, 2016, 03:11:10 pm
I will pull them off the court to make my point and discuss with the officials and other coach.  I am not going to give the game to another team.
If you pull your team off the court and refuse to play that's EXACTLY what you are doing - giving the game to the other team via forfeit.

Gray lizard

I do not have a child playing.  I do it to help the community and my wife teaches in the 4th to 6th grade building. I just love coaching the kids. 
I know they used an association for the pee wee football league.  In football the white hat would come to the head coach and give a list of the official and phone number to the director of officials.  I never had a need to contact the director as they always did a great job.  Only one bad call in three years. It was related to defenseless player call the first year of the rule(I posted it on here).
I am not sure how they get the officials for this 11 team league. They do not give any information to the coach like in football.

Gray lizard

Quote from: Rulesman on December 05, 2016, 04:30:37 pm
If you pull your team off the court and refuse to play that's EXACTLY what you are doing - giving the game to the other team via forfeit.

To make it a little clearer.  I will call time out. pull the team to the bench.  Ask for the officials and the other coach for a pow wow to bring the game into control.  After the discussion I will send the players back out on to the court.  If it does not get better.  I would do it until I have no time outs left.

Rulesman

3 Dollar

Is this the "so-called"  Big 11 Conference?  Consisting of Pottsville, Dover, Dardanelle, Atkins, Hector, Lamar, Perryville, Bigelow, Deer, Danville, and ?  If so, it used to be up to the home school to provide officials.  We always got high school players and at least one registered official.

Gray lizard

Quote from: 3 Dollar on December 05, 2016, 08:49:51 pm
Is this the "so-called"  Big 11 Conference?  Consisting of Pottsville, Dover, Dardanelle, Atkins, Hector, Lamar, Perryville, Bigelow, Deer, Danville, and ?  If so, it used to be up to the home school to provide officials.  We always got high school players and at least one registered official.
Yes but No Deer or Hector. They were replaced with Two Rivers and Morrilton. Pottsville has a Gold and black team to make up the 11 teams. I think the schools still do.  This game was at Dardanelle, but one of the official was from Pottsville I think.  So who knows.

Gray lizard

Quote from: Rulesman on December 05, 2016, 06:10:59 pm
Then what?

I am looking for advise on the best way to deal with this if it were to happen again.  Please do not try to escalate the problem.  Give me advice to avoid trouble.  As a rulesman I would hope you have positive input to help a coach properly deal with this type situation.  I am just concerned with the safety of my girls and proper game play.

Rulesman

I've already tried that but IMO you didn't like the answers/suggestions. I'm out.

Gray lizard

Quote from: Rulesman on December 06, 2016, 10:55:47 am
I've already tried that but IMO you didn't like the answers/suggestions. I'm out.

I have taken your advice and thank you for it. I hope contacting the commissioner will help (I did this the day of the game).  I just wonder what I might do if this situation occurs again. Should I do nothing and say nothing?  I have to stress this was not minor contact.  One thing I will not do is teach my girls to play in that manner.  You can not allow your team to slap, push(two hands), dribble with one hand while pushing off with the other, and run through the other team.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas