• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016-17 NCAA Football Season

Started by VHSCoach2, August 05, 2016, 04:37:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

We're three weeks away from the first kick of the 2016-17 NCAA Football season, which will feature the California Golden Bears vs. the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors beginning their season in Sydney, Australia.

Let's use this thread as the college football discussion from the first kick on August 26th to the final whistle of the National Championship Game in January.

WPWells

Let's make an FF pick'em group on ESPN

beach bum

Teams to surprise the country: Georgia, Washington State, and Oklahoma State win their division titles or conference race around finish much higher in the polls than they started

Teams to have big let downs from their early ranking: Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Ohio State

National title: Clemson & Alabama ( I know that is chalk and  I don't want to see that again)

...... I am not even a big Arkansas fan, but they will slightly exceed expectations by going 9-3 and winning their bowl game and finish around 10 in the country.

BigLion10

Longfellow

Louisville returns 17 starters, including SOPH QB Lamar Jackson and potential first round DE Devonte Fields. The offense will be dangerous and the secondary is stocked with former SEC players. Watch out Clemson

beach bum

I really like both of those teams you guys listed as well. I could see Louisville and Washington both being teams that are the reason the type of team like Clemson, Florida State, Stanford, etc. get left out of the top 4 because Washington and Louisville ruined their seasons with an upset. Those two teams are going to be good for sure.

Longfellow

Louisville plays at Clemson and Houston and has Florida State at home. The Louisville and Oklahoma games will be big for a Houston playoff push

beach bum

I could not believe how tough of a schedule Houston has for not being in a power 5 conference. They have the Oklahoma and Louisville games in non conference then there toughest conference games are all on the road. They play Navy, Memphis, and Cincinnati away from home. As good as I think they are I still think with that schedule they lose two games. If they run the table on that they shouldn't just be in the top 4, but ranked 2 or 3.

beach bum

Let's all agree on one thing though..... No Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Florida State in the top 4 please!

mtindian42

Being a life long buckeye fan we lost to much talent to the draft to play for the NC this year. Next year however look out for the bucks #loaded

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on August 05, 2016, 07:09:42 pm
Let's all agree on one thing though..... No Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Florida State in the top 4 please!
nope. Can't agree to that. 2 of the three should be there.

I keep saying this......can this please be the year that Bama loses 3-4 games. I'd love to see USC, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and LSU to hang L's on  Tuscalucifer

LRRandy

Quote from: mtindian42 on August 05, 2016, 07:13:58 pm
Being a life long buckeye fan we lost to much talent to the draft to play for the NC this year. Next year however look out for the bucks #loaded
thats what was being said in 2014. tOSU should be one of the top 4 teams this year.

mtindian42

Quote from: LRRandy on August 05, 2016, 07:21:40 pm
thats what was being said in 2014. tOSU should be one of the top 4 teams this year.
i hope your right...

Longfellow

Ohio State as a top 4 team returning 3 starters. I do not agree. Top 20 team at the end of the year, but replacing some of those defensive players will be rough

beach bum

I always dream the worst for Alabama, but it can never happen. I sadly see another SEC title. I think if LSU can beat them head to head maybe LSU can get in the SEC title with 1 loss and the tie breaker over Alabama. LSU better learn how to beat us first though,

BigLion10

Houston starts off at 13 so definitely have a chance to leap up

VHSCoach2

Quote from: beach bum on August 05, 2016, 07:07:49 pm
I could not believe how tough of a schedule Houston has for not being in a power 5 conference. They have the Oklahoma and Louisville games in non conference then there toughest conference games are all on the road. They play Navy, Memphis, and Cincinnati away from home. As good as I think they are I still think with that schedule they lose two games. If they run the table on that they shouldn't just be in the top 4, but ranked 2 or 3.

If Houston runs the table, there will still be naysayers saying that they shouldn't be in the top 4.  However, a 13-0 record is impressive, no matter who you are or who you play.  With Oklahoma and Louisville as non-conference, plus playing some of the toughest American Athletic Conference teams, if Houston were 13-0 come playoff time, and I had a vote, they'd be getting it from me.

However, just one loss might be enough to hold them out.  They beat a very good Florida State team in the Peach Bowl last year, so here is to hoping that can continue that with a win over preseason #3 Oklahoma in Week 1!

BigLion10

I'd rather see them than Notre dame in the playoff

VHSCoach2

The season officially begins tonight!  California and Hawaii will kick off from Australia at 9 PM tonight.  Not really a fan of either of those teams, but I'll watch because it's college football.

Longfellow

If Cal has a QB, that air raid offense is fun to watch. I think I'll tune in to this one

VHSCoach2

More college football action tonight as 5-time defending FCS National Champion North Dakota State hosts Charleston Southern at 6:30 on ESPN

HorseFeathers

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on August 27, 2016, 05:14:02 pm
More college football action tonight as 5-time defending FCS National Champion North Dakota State hosts Charleston Southern at 6:30 on ESPN

Those 5x Champs are losing in the 3rd QTR 10-3

VHSCoach2

#9 Tennessee currently in trouble at home against Appalachian State.

Mountaineers up 13-3, with the ball, about 4 minutes until halftime.

beach bum

BrianfromCarlisle

VHSCoach2

App State still up 13-3 with 4:21 left in the 3rd.

WPWells

VHSCoach2

App State driving. 29 seconds to go. Almost in field goal range.

VHSCoach2

beach bum

South Carolina better enjoy their short lived time atop the SEC. That will probably be one of their few wins in conference all year. That was ugly football tonight.

WPWells

Fred Bird is now 3-0 picking college football games this season

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Fred Bird on September 01, 2016, 11:29:48 pm
Fred Bird is now 3-0 picking college football games this season

Oh wow!! Color me impressed

WPWells

LRRandy

Opening day!! One of the best days of the year! Several good games today. I have been pulling pork (butts in smoker since yesterday), putting poppers together to bake, and just put the ribs my daughter requested in the smoker. It will all be done by the time the Buckeyes kick off at 11:00. Good luck today razorback nation. My son is attending his first game as a UofA student. It's a great day!!!

WPWells

Great game going on now! GT just took the lead on BC with 40 seconds left!

LRRandy

KJ Hill 47 yard TD reception. Buckeyes tie game 7-7

BigLion10

How bout them Houston Cougars 33-17 late third quarter

HorseFeathers

Oklahoma getting their butts kicked by Houston so far

LRRandy

Miss st. Not ringing cowbells now. Haha

HorseFeathers

Houstons Defense held on a 2 pt conversion attempt....Cougs lead 33-23 with 2 minutes left

BigLion10

Houston Wins 33-23!! Boomer Losers

LRRandy

Very impressive win by Houston and MENSA founder Tom Herman.

mtindian42

Hang on concin... You got this! This will be huge for the B1G.

mtindian42

BigLion10

What a cheap shot by the LSU lineman after that pick. He should be suspended for a few games for that

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BigLion10 on September 03, 2016, 06:12:56 pm
What a cheap shot by the LSU lineman after that pick. He should be suspended for a few games for that

Loss of scholarship

WPWells

LRRandy

Quote from: BigLion10 on September 03, 2016, 06:12:56 pm
agreed. Punk move.

beach bum

So TCU is as bad as we are.... down 10 to South Dakota State. hahahaha

beach bum

This is a rare occurrence I am rooting for Texas. Notre Dame gets so annoying. However, the Irish should take this one.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas