• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was the Fan Really a Warren Fan? Was the 15 yard penalty Fair? What do you think?

Started by 4thandgoal, December 09, 2017, 08:43:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

4thandgoal

The 15 yard penalty regarding the fan is not in the AAA rule book. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A SPOT ON THIS WIN!!!! DO THE BADGERS REALLY FEEL LIKE TRUE CHAMPS RIGHT NOW? WILL THERE ALWAYS BE DOUBT IF THEY ARE JUST PAPER CHAMPS?

justafan33

Warren was snapping the ball from shotgun. They couldn't spike it. They were beat.

hogfan10

Quote from: 4thandgoal on December 09, 2017, 08:43:14 pm
The 15 yard penalty regarding the fan is not in the AAA rule book. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A SPOT ON THIS WIN!!!! DO THE BADGERS REALLY FEEL LIKE TRUE CHAMPS RIGHT NOW? WILL THERE ALWAYS BE DOUBT IF THEY ARE JUST PAPER CHAMPS?

Yes and yes. Along with the penalty, 9 seconds (making 12) was added to the clock giving warren time for two plays. Under the circumstances, I think that was fair to both teams.

He might not be a Warren fan but he is a Warren student.  The Warren players were yelling at him and calling him by name.

Yellowcake

Warren isn't responsible for security. The penalty was improper. I am unaware of any similar call ever being made in the history of Arkansas high school football.

It was a terrible way to end the game. The penalty effectively removed Warren from a shot at a winning FG, which the players on the field earned.

That penalty cost the kids and coaches who had nothing to do with the fan or stadium security.

I have no dog in the fight. I am a PA fan. Just expressing my opinion.

Jsmith48

No, Arkadelphia is THE REAL champion. Don't cheapen their accomplishment because of mismanagement of the game by officials and to be honest clock mismanagement by Warrens coaches at the end. They didn't do anything nor did they have control over anything that occurred. They just played the hand they were dealt. By the way, they beat three 1 seeds on the way to winning the championship. Warren is a dang good team and had their chances.

Yellowcake

Quote from: Jsmith48 on December 09, 2017, 08:55:31 pm
No, Arkadelphia is THE REAL champion. Don't cheapen their accomplishment because of mismanagement of the game by officials and to be honest clock mismanagement by Warrens coaches at the end. They didn't do anything nor did they have control over anything that occurred. They just played the hand they were dealt. By the way, they beat three 1 seeds on the way to winning the championship. Warren is a dang good team and had their chances.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 09, 2017, 08:54:02 pm
Warren isn't responsible for security. The penalty was improper. I am unaware of any similar call ever being made in the history of Arkansas high school football.

It was a terrible way to end the game. The penalty effectively removed Warren from a shot at a winning FG, which the players on the field earned.

That penalty cost the kids and coaches who had nothing to do with the fan or stadium security.

You are a PA fan ???? :o

Yellowcake

I also agree with this. The mishandling at the end wasn't the fault of Arkadelphia. They are state champs, with no asterisk. It's been a long time coming. Congrats badgers.

4thandgoal

If you say so.

4thandgoal

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 09, 2017, 08:58:33 pm
I also agree with this. The mishandling at the end wasn't the fault of Arkadelphia. They are state champs, with no asterisk. It's been a long time coming. Congrats badgers.

If you say so, but I think there is a question mark on the championship. Yes, they are the champs on paper, but there will always be a but in there.

hogfan10

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 09, 2017, 08:54:02 pm

Before the stoppage, kicking a FG was not an option.

Lifetime OWL/Temp BADGER

Let's just pretend that Arkadelphia didn't cause a fumble 2 plays earlier that was not given to them.  The boys earned the win.

Jsmith48

Quote from: 4thandgoal on December 09, 2017, 09:03:27 pm
If you say so, but I think there is a question mark on the championship. Yes, they are the champs on paper, but there will always be a but in there.
The scoreboard must be made out of paper then.

thebigshot

Earlier in the season not sure what two teams played but a naked guy ran into the field at WMs, did that team get a 15 yard penalty? Or did they let it slide because they felt sorry for the guy because of his size?

PiratePride03

This thread is a joke,  and it was obviously started by a biased Warren fan.   Take the loss respectfully like the rest of the Warren fans on FF.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: thebigshot on December 09, 2017, 10:00:42 pm
Earlier in the season not sure what two teams played but a naked guy ran into the field at WMs, did that team get a 15 yard penalty? Or did they let it slide because they felt sorry for the guy because of his size?

There was indeed a 15 yard penalty but once they noticed his size the penalty was declined....  true story

panther07

No way... Warren claiming state champs after they lose? Surely they wouldn't do that...

AirWarren

Quote from: PiratePride03 on December 09, 2017, 10:07:25 pm
This thread is a joke,  and it was obviously started by a biased Warren fan.   Take the loss respectfully like the rest of the Warren fans on FF.

Honestly Warren fans have taken it class. As heartbreaking as it is, Warren has played in 7 state title games and won 4. Some teams would love a chance to even Make it, to a title game.

Say you want about Warren folks. They are classy. They win with class. And lose with class.

It's unfortunate that it ended like this but the moment the kickoff is received, you're one second closer to finding out who wins.....and who loses.

Playing for a title and going to WMS is amazing experience. I wouldn't trade my times there for anything.

PiratePride03

I agree AW, most of y'all have impressed me with how well you're taking this loss.  That was a great game, and you can't take anything away from either team.   Arky earned that title, and even though he didn't win it, Burks earned the MVP trophy!

AirWarren

Quote from: PiratePride03 on December 09, 2017, 10:50:40 pm
I agree AW, most of y'all have impressed me with how well you're taking this loss.  That was a great game, and you can't take anything away from either team.   Arky earned that title, and even though he didn't win it, Burks earned the MVP trophy!

We love our team. Most of the people posting negative are people whose team lost early in the playoffs have nothing else better to do than waddle in misery and keeps things stirred up. Arkadelphia was fun today. As was their side of the field. Amazing turnout. Just
an all out great finale of 4a football.

Warren is a proud group. And a classy one at that.

PiratePride03

I can tell!  You're right,  the people running their mouths are just trolls.

Oldbadger

Read somewhere that the crowd size for this championship was the biggest of all so far, between 7 and 8 thousand.  And Warrens fans are classy.  I like Warren poeple and the town.  If you werent as passionate about your team as we are about ours, you wouldnt have our respect.  Youve been there, you know how it is.  I expect to see you there again, hopefully against us.

Rocket23

The thing is it was a very unfortunate incident that put a good officiating crew in a bad spot.  No real precedent for that.  Honestly, what could have been done?  Regardless, one team was going to be put at a disadvantage.  There was a reason he was in shotgun about to run.  There was no time for a fg attempt because clock was running. 

It was a great game with a bad ending.  AW and other Warren fans on here have shown noting but class that I have read.

What on earth was the kid thinking?

Blazer51

Maynard G Krebs

Warren shouldn't have penalized, period.  Did it effect the final outcome?  That will never be known.  I've mellowed out on giving refs grief on missed calls over the years, but cannot give them an out on this one.   They totally blew it. 

JessieP

I agree with Maynard. To take nothing away from Arky but Warren got shafted. Does anyone know anything about the pinhead who did it? was he a fan? student? on drugs? drunk? traumatic brain injury? The guy may have very well cost Warren the title.

hogfan10

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 10, 2017, 02:31:00 pm
Warren shouldn't have penalized, period.  Did it effect the final outcome?  That will never be known.  I've mellowed out on giving refs grief on missed calls over the years, but cannot give them an out on this one.   They totally blew it.

The refs did blow, it should have been Arkadelphia's ball two plays earlier. #13 clearly fumbled the ball well b/4 he was down.

AirWarren

Quote from: JessieP on December 10, 2017, 05:11:08 pm
I agree with Maynard. To take nothing away from Arky but Warren got shafted. Does anyone know anything about the pinhead who did it? was he a fan? student? on drugs? drunk? traumatic brain injury? The guy may have very well cost Warren the title.

Just unfortunate choices and timing.

Not much more to say about it. Just a bad situation that led to bradycardia on the Warren side and tachycardia on the Arkadelphia side.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 10, 2017, 05:46:52 pm
The refs did blow, it should have been Arkadelphia's ball two plays earlier. #13 clearly fumbled the ball well b/4 he was down.
I say it was a fumble also. But if forward progress was deemed stopped by a ref, the plays over. Once again, an official has an opportunity to change an outcome on a game.

I'm not the most in shape guys these days. Can still run a mile without stopping. I think refs should have to be able to keep up with the game physically better in playoffs and finals. Some of these out of shape guys start wanting the game to be over rather than wanting to provide a professional service for the whole game. Not meaning to discriminate, it's just that these young men give their best efforts in game like these and aren't reciprocated with the same effort from some of the ref squads.

PA Dad

Come on guys.  The officials always get the blame.  They certainly ain't perfect but they try hard and do the best they can.  They make mistakes.  We all do.

In this game they were put in an impossible situation.  What would you have done?

We need officials.  If you think you can do better, sign up.

hogfan10

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on December 10, 2017, 07:17:31 pm
I say it was a fumble also. But if forward progress was deemed stopped by a ref, the plays over. Once again, an official has an opportunity to change an outcome on a game.

I'm not the most in shape guys these days. Can still run a mile without stopping. I think refs should have to be able to keep up with the game physically better in playoffs and finals. Some of these out of shape guys start wanting the game to be over rather than wanting to provide a professional service for the whole game. Not meaning to discriminate, it's just that these young men give their best efforts in game like these and aren't reciprocated with the same effort from some of the ref squads.
He was still moving forward; it wasn't a scrum moving forward, then back,then forward again. I agree that a lot if not most games have some really bad calls, but I don't think there is an intentional effort made to favor one team over another. Unless of course, you're playing in Nashville.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: PA Dad on December 10, 2017, 08:43:15 pm
Come on guys.  The officials always get the blame.  They certainly ain't perfect but they try hard and do the best they can.  They make mistakes.  We all do.

In this game they were put in an impossible situation.  What would you have done?

We need officials.  If you think you can do better, sign up.
I disagree about the impossible part. I put 6 seconds on the clock. Don't allow any substitutions, let both sides line up on the ball, clock starts on the whistle. I would have put the players on both sides in the same situation they were before the interruption. Players then decide the game.

Wonderdog

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on December 10, 2017, 11:18:36 pm
I disagree about the impossible part. I put 6 seconds on the clock. Don't allow any substitutions, let both sides line up on the ball, clock starts on the whistle. I would have put the players on both sides in the same situation they were before the interruption. Players then decide the game.
I agree that this sounds great, with the exception of the time. Put 4 seconds on the clock and I agree. The problem with that is the rules, which I do not know. Does something of that nature fall within the rules? This seems like the only "fair" option in this unfortunate situation.

PA Dad

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on December 10, 2017, 11:18:36 pm

That's a reasonable scenario if you don't allow Warren to kick a field goal.  But, that doesn't exactly replicate the situation before the fan ran onto the field.  It gives Warren the time to assess the situation and call a play -  which they didn't have otherwise.

I'm a big fan of Warren and have been since Warren played PA several years ago.  Warren has a great program  and a great coach.  But, I could just as easily argue that the officials missed the call on the fumble by Burks. I certainly don't claim the officials are perfect, but they get way too much criticism.

So, yes, I say the officials were in an impossible situation.

ArkansasSportsFan

The field goal would have been impossible without the delay as there were only a couple seconds left, but Warren shouldn't have been penalized for a fan being an idiot. It's really a lose-lose situation.

MB Hog

The hardest part of this is not knowing what Warren was about to do.  It would have been one of two things:  1) Try to score a TD on the final play or 2) Spike the ball to stop the clock to allow the kicker a chance to win it with a field goal.  However, if they had spiked the ball from the shotgun formation, it still would have been a 15-yard penalty. 

So - if they were going to try to score a TD on that play, then the fan walking on the field cost them the opportunity to do so, but the refs had no control over that.  Once play was stopped, it would not have been fair to Arkadelphia to allow Warren to set up for the kick.

One thing we know for sure is Warren was not going to get an opportunity to kick the field goal since they were in shotgun formation and couldn't spike the ball without a penalty.

Untimeddown

Wow, had to watch a friends DVR, they seem to be signaling spike the ball, don't know their signals but seem to be spike the ball.  So true, on the penalty, I think from the gun.  Someone post the rule. No sense of urgency, wow

STUNNA

Quote from: MB Hog on December 11, 2017, 08:33:13 am
The hardest part of this is not knowing what Warren was about to do.  It would have been one of two things:  1) Try to score a TD on the final play or 2) Spike the ball to stop the clock to allow the kicker a chance to win it with a field goal.  However, if they had spiked the ball from the shotgun formation, it still would have been a 15-yard penalty. 

So - if they were going to try to score a TD on that play, then the fan walking on the field cost them the opportunity to do so, but the refs had no control over that.  Once play was stopped, it would not have been fair to Arkadelphia to allow Warren to set up for the kick.

One thing we know for sure is Warren was not going to get an opportunity to kick the field goal since they were in shotgun formation and couldn't spike the ball without a penalty.

This!!!

KASH dba The Lumberjack

I'm not bothered by not being able to kick. But I would take my chances with 3 seconds left, ball on the 6, with Burks in the Elephant package. The young men would have decided the game at that point.
I'll never understand the 15yd penalty.

All that aside, ball was snapped. Arky kept playing. Intercepted the ball. They are 4a State Champs. And I have absolutely no qualms about them winning that hard fought, back and forth game.

MB Hog

I think the thing I got most frustrated with was the coaches who were providing TV color commentary about the situation.  They were the ones who said before the play that Warren was in shotgun formation and wouldn't be allowed to spike the ball from that formation.  But once the play was stopped, they seemed to have no problem with giving Warren the chance to set up for a field goal that they wouldn't have been able to do if not for the interruption by the Warren fan.  Did they just forget about what was happening prior to the stoppage?

southarkdaddy

What bothers me the most is Hembree saying it cost them a shot at the game winning field goal.  No it didn't. You snapped the ball in the shotgun with 3 seconds to go.  When I was watching it live I thought it was genius by the Warren kid, imagine if he had gotten that clock stopped and Warren realized they had to be under center to spike the ball.  Turns out he probably better change addresses. 

BP74

No blaming anyone in the situation. I would add if I were the coach on last play, Burks would not be a decoy. Even if he's got 3 guys assigned to him. If I'm throwing a jump ball in the endzone, #13 would have been under it...even if all 22 on the field were there! Lol

Just trying to lighten the mood a little. I will say that majority of Warren posters here have realized what a great game this was and are nothing but class about the ending!

Thank you all and good luck next year!

hogfan10

Quote from: MB Hog on December 11, 2017, 08:56:48 am
I think the thing I got most frustrated with was the coaches who were providing TV color commentary about the situation.  They were the ones who said before the play that Warren was in shotgun formation and wouldn't be allowed to spike the ball from that formation.  But once the play was stopped, they seemed to have no problem with giving Warren the chance to set up for a field goal that they wouldn't have been able to do if not for the interruption by the Warren fan.  Did they just forget about what was happening prior to the stoppage?

Agree on the commentary, in Coach V's defense he did mention toward the end that it would have been unfair to Arkadelphia to allow Warren the ball on the 9 with time on the clock.

Rida4Life

I honestly don't know the rule but I would have a hard time justifying assessing a penalty to Warren because of the actions of someone not directly associated with their team or staff. 

Does anyone know the name of the white hat on the officiating crew?

hogfan10

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on December 11, 2017, 08:48:29 am
I'm not bothered by not being able to kick. But I would take my chances with 3 seconds left, ball on the 6, with Burks in the Elephant package. The young men would have decided the game at that point.
I'll never understand the 15yd penalty.

All that aside, ball was snapped. Arky kept playing. Intercepted the ball. They are 4a State Champs. And I have absolutely no qualms about them winning that hard fought, back and forth game.

I would agree with that, only problem I would have is the stoppage allowed Warren a chance to call a play. In their scramble to get to the line b/4 the stoppage there wasn't time to signal in a play. From what I saw, the coaches were signaling the QB to spike the ball, which would have ended the game.

sheepdawg92

This is a bad year for AAA this year have a state championship game end like that on a call i never seen or heard of in my 45 years of life. Then in 2A you have team that play ineligible player all way up to the semi's finals then you put them out it jack up the hold playoffs but they don't care they getting money off these games and kids. They don't care how it my effort child, city, and a staff. I think they need to go to some meetings in different states and see how things are ready run Arkansas years behind every state when come to football.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 11, 2017, 09:08:42 am
I would agree with that, only problem I would have is the stoppage allowed Warren a chance to call a play. In their scramble to get to the line b/4 the stoppage there wasn't time to signal in a play. From what I saw, the coaches were signaling the QB to spike the ball, which would have ended the game.
Warren had already snapped the ball and Burks was patting it when the refs step in.

On an officials timeout, is it a rule neither teams can change personnel?

Sporty

Quote from: southarkdaddy on December 11, 2017, 09:02:10 am
What bothers me the most is Hembree saying it cost them a shot at the game winning field goal.  No it didn't. You snapped the ball in the shotgun with 3 seconds to go.  When I was watching it live I thought it was genius by the Warren kid, imagine if he had gotten that clock stopped and Warren realized they had to be under center to spike the ball.  Turns out he probably better change addresses.

YES! Congrats to Arkadelphia! You won fair and square

bluegrassboy75

I'm not going to blame anyone, especially the officials.  I agree with PA Dad that they were put in an impossible situation with that play.  Not only do they have to come up with if there is a penalty for a situation that doesn't happen very often, if any, plus on statewide television.

I would like to hear a statement from the AAA quoting the rule on what should have happened. 

Just my .02 cents worth.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas