• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The All Soccer Thread(US soccer, EPL, European leagues, Spanish/Mexican leagues.)

Started by AirWarren, August 02, 2015, 09:00:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Chelsea beats Southampton today to advance to FA cup Final.

Chelsea vs Manchester United.

Should be a fun one in mid May. May we can get one trophy this year. Ha.

AirWarren

Arsenal takes out West ham. Way to send Wenger out.

I'll never understand Arsenal. They have so much potential. And always underachieve.

1-Adam-12

The Chelsea win also means that Burnley will play in the Europa League in 2018-19. 

Who would have ever thought that when they were promoted two years ago?

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on April 22, 2018, 02:53:29 pm
The Chelsea win also means that Burnley will play in the Europa League in 2018-19. 

Who would have ever thought that when they were promoted two years ago?

I will say the way Burnley plays is not that pleasing to the eye the couple times I have watched. They're really a sit and wait for their chances type squad. I don't think they care if they play a "pretty" style as long as they are winning matches like they have though. Shows how much I know cause I had them being relegated when the season began. They really showed me and now they'll be playing European football at Turf Moor in the fall.

beach bum

I am going to go with Chelsea in the FA Cup.... I think they'll out grit Man United when it matters.

beach bum

They'll be singing You'll Never Walk Alone late into the night in Liverpool.... Liverpool 5-0 thrashing of Roma in the semifinals.

beach bum

In classic Liverpool fashion they allow 2 late goals giving Roma the slighest glimmer of hope headed back to the 2nd leg. Can they pull another miracle 3-0 comeback like they did with Barcelona?

beach bum

-West Brom all of sudden deciding they want to play some good soccer getting 7 points in the last 3 matches all against quality competition. It is just a little too late

-Dusan Tadic puts Southampton on his back and the Saints goalie made an insane save to possibly save Southampton's chances of staying up with 3 points today

-Stoke City is holding on hoping for a Swansea or Huddersfield collapse

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-In the Championship Cardiff sits 1 point ahead of Fulham for the last auto promotion spot with one match next week to decide it all

-Fulham needs a draw and Cardiff loss OR a win and Cardiff loss or draw. I hope Fulham makes it. They were in 14th place at Christmas and have not lost since spanning 23 matches

-Burton and Barnsley are hot late and they have passed Bolton leading Bolton by a lone point. Those 3 are fighting for one spot more than likely.

-It would take everything going wrong but Reading and Birmingham City are technically not safe yet with one match left down in the Championship

1-Adam-12

I'm going to have to give a shout to the team I mention at the end of my sig line, Havant & Waterlooville.

Today they won their league for the second season in a row and will next season play in the National League National Division (level 5) for the first time in their history.

WELL DONE THE HAWKS!  One more step to League football!

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on April 28, 2018, 09:59:16 pm
I'm going to have to give a shout to the team I mention at the end of my sig line, Havant & Waterlooville.

Today they won their league for the second season in a row and will next season play in the National League National Division (level 5) for the first time in their history.

WELL DONE THE HAWKS!  One more step to League football!

Got to love stories like that. It goes to show you how much momentum of winning matters in making movement up the ladder. Another example of good momentum is Plymouth Argyle possibly getting a playoff spot in League One to get them to the Championship when they were in League Two last year. And the opposite of that is true too. It's so hard to get promoted back in one year after being relegated with the loss of players and a new roster when downgraded a league.

1-Adam-12

There's more.

In 2011-12 and 2012-13, Argyle narrowly avoided relegation to non-league football placing 21st in League Two in both seasons, only two points and one point, respectively, from taking the drop.

AirWarren

I'm sure Watford loses, but we need a watford shocker to keep our ECL hopefuls alive. Chelsea is right on the heels of the spurs but they also has one game extra.

LAFC opened their stadium yesterday. Looked like an amazing opening. Entire crowd singing the national anthem. That stuff gives me chills.

1-Adam-12

Liverpool barely holds on against Roma for the right to face Real Madrid in the Champions League final!

AirWarren

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on May 02, 2018, 09:03:49 pm
Liverpool barely holds on against Roma for the right to face Real Madrid in the Champions League final!

I get sick of the Spanish teams. Especially Real Madrid.

Let's go Liverpool.

1-Adam-12

Taking a look at the bottom of the Championship going into the last week:

Barnsley needs only to match Burton's result to stay up, because of the large disparity in goal difference.

If Barnsley and Burton both win and Birmingham City loses, the Brummies are relegated.

For Bolton to stay up, they must win and Barnsley would have to lose, again a tie with them and Barnsley does them no good because of goal difference.  The Wanderers, though, would win a tiebreak with Burton.

The pertinent matches are:

Birmingham home to Fulham
Bolton home to Nottingham Forest
Barnsley away to Derby County
Burton away to Preston

All games start on Sunday at 6:30 local time.

Let the chips fall where they may.

beach bum

Liverpool and Real Madrid will be a wild one with lots of flare

The Championship's final day has a lot at play.... I still am rooting for a Cardiff loss or draw to help Fulham out

AirWarren

On a cool side note. My wife and I were going through boxes from our move into our new house that we haven't been through since we been settled in.

She found her "super Chelsea FC" scarf that her relatives from London sent her parents when she was born. It has "super" and CHELSEA FC on it with blue stripes. The crest is the older lion crest from the 1980s.

I'm going to get it framed and hang it up in the bonus room. It's very cool. And nice to have your honey named after the best team in the world :D

beach bum

-Another example of the rest of the USA fans who don't follow soccer like us and us knowing the heart break of relegation is when you saw Stoke City relegated today. Jack Butland being a Stoke guy through and through and an English national you could see the devastation on his face letting the fans down. He knew with his quality he would be sold in the summer to another club with Stoke going down.

-How about West Brom lately? Had they had about 4 more points in hand before this run they would have probably pulled the craziest escape

-West Brom's win over Spurs leaves AW's Chelsea with the tiniest sliver of hope for the top 4.... Chelsea needs a tough win over Liverpool tomorrow

1-Adam-12

Hearing that Sir Alex Ferguson, legendary manager of Manchester United, is seriously ill and had to be taken to the hospital.

Whatever fan base you might be you must say he has been one of the best in the English game.  Prayers up for a full recovery.

1-Adam-12

And as far as West Brom goes, entering the last two weeks they had to have eight results go their way to stay up, several of them including the win over Spurs today very unlikely. 

The Baggies are now safe at least until Tuesday.

Here's what now needs to happen:

A Southampton-Swansea draw, which puts both of them at 34. (A win by either team puts the Baggies down,  because the winner would then have 36 and Huddersfield sits with 35, no way for WBA to catch either one.)

A West Brom win away to Crystal Palace, which puts them at 34.

A Swansea loss at home to (ironically) already-relegated Stoke. (West Brom beats Swansea on goal difference.)

A Southampton loss at home to Manchester City.

And the combined West Brom win and Southampton loss has to have a swing of +5 to West Brom.  +4 to tie would not do it because Southampton would have the third tiebreak on goals scored.

Difficult, but not entirely implausible.

VHSCoach2

How about Bolton Wanderers scoring two goals in the final ten minutes to win and avoid relegation from the Championship?

AirWarren

Chelsea defeats Liverpool 1-0 today. Gets within 2 points of the spurs. Going to take a spurs collapse for Chelsea to pull of a champions league birth.

And how about Arsenal. Sending the skipper out in fashion.

beach bum

-Chelsea may not have the flashy attack like Liverpool or Man City but when they are on they control the midfield better than anyone and are a clean sheet waiting to happen with that control

-Bolton's escape was something else today

-Fulham really lost at the wrong time to let Cardiff City get the auto promotion

-Everton's Tom Davies may have ripped the heart out of Southampton in stoppage time yesterday if the Saints can not stay. Southampton vs Swansea is essentially a "stay up" playoff game. Got to love that.

-I am so happy I started watching this beautiful sport 4 years ago.... It has been a fun season chatting on here with you guys and plenty of World Cup ahead to keep it going

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on May 06, 2018, 09:00:04 pm
-Chelsea may not have the flashy attack like Liverpool or Man City but when they are on they control the midfield better than anyone and are a clean sheet waiting to happen with that control

-Bolton's escape was something else today

-Fulham really lost at the wrong time to let Cardiff City get the auto promotion

-Everton's Tom Davies may have ripped the heart out of Southampton in stoppage time yesterday if the Saints can not stay. Southampton vs Swansea is essentially a "stay up" playoff game. Got to love that.

-I am so happy I started watching this beautiful sport 4 years ago.... It has been a fun season chatting on here with you guys and plenty of World Cup ahead to keep it going

6 years ago for me. UCL final when Chelsea won. Fell in love with it.

1-Adam-12

And Huddersfield! What a defensive display they put on at Man City! First team to shut MC out at their home pitch this season.

They have Chelsea away, Arsenal home.  If they get one point from the two, they stay up.  There are other ways as well.

1-Adam-12

The Terriers of Huddersfield are staying up!  They draw with Chelsea and in the process all but relegate Swansea. 

Meanwhile West Brom ran out of luck when Southampton won at Swansea.  That sent the Baggies down to the Championship.

AirWarren

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on May 10, 2018, 05:33:31 am
The Terriers of Huddersfield are staying up!  They draw with Chelsea and in the process all but relegate Swansea. 

Meanwhile West Brom ran out of luck when Southampton won at Swansea.  That sent the Baggies down to the Championship.

Not sure Antonio Conte helped his chances at returning to Chelsea next year.

beach bum

Quote from: beach bum on August 10, 2017, 08:35:11 pm
So the Premier League gets kicked off tomorrow and I am going to take a stab at predicting the table. I am making this prediction based on what the rosters are right now. Obviously, there will be some additions before the transfer window ends and throw these rankings out if stuff like Coutinho leaves Liverpool or any other player on other squads for that matter of super high quality. Also, this is if no injuries happen to major players but we know those happen......

1.Manchester City
2.Chelsea ( I think the gap between them and Man City will be just 1 or 2 points)
3.Liverpool (if they sell Coutinho then they'll drop to between 5th and 7th, Lallana is already out the first 2 months)
4.Tottenham (this would be a let down, but I think they will fall short of the high expectations)

5.Manchester United
6.Arsenal

7.Everton
8.Bournemouth (this would be something if they can get up this high and keep the up tick in the table each year)
9.Crystal Palace (this would be great for them)
10.Leicester City
11.West Ham
12.Southampton
13.Swansea City (throw this way out the window if they sell Sigurdsson)
14.Newcastle
15.Stoke City
16.West Brom (this would be a let down being almost relegated)
17.Brighton

18.Watford
19.Huddersfield Town
20.Burnley

****Notes- I think that Fulham, Middlesbrough, and Leeds will get promoted up from the Championship after this season

Boy oh boy did I have some terrible predictions in here haha.... Especially picking Burnley to finish last and now they'll be playing European football on Thursdays in the fall.

beach bum

Shrewsbury went to Charlton Athletic yesterday in the first League One playoff match and got a 1-0 win on the road.... Now at the half Derby County is sitting up 1-0 at home against Fulham.

AirWarren

Hello, Europa league.

Newcastle pistol whips Chelsea. 3-0.

Booo.

VHSCoach2

Huddersfield, Brighton, and Newcastle all stay up; the first time since the 2011-12 campaign that all three promoted teams avoided relegation.

VHSCoach2

The times for the World Cup matches have been released. The times are all reasonable for the Central Time Zone. The earliest match starts at 5 AM and the latest that some of them start is 1 PM. Most will be played at 7 AM, 10 AM, or 1 PM our time.

beach bum

Speaking of World Cup... I have seen England and France's roster release.... They certainly have some glaring misses from their rosters. Especially in the midfield. I don't see either nation fairing as well as they may have originally thought. France was thought of as having outside shots to win it all. I don't see them getting close to Germany or Spain now.

beach bum

Here is how I see the World Cup shaping up.... I don't really see anyone else having a shot

FAVORITES: Spain, Germany- with the World Cup being played in Russia I'd say these two European nations have to be favorites to win it all

SECOND TIER: Brazil, Argentina- if the tournament was in South America like last time I might put these two nations right in line with the favorites above

THIRD TIER: Portugal, France, Belgium

MY DARK HORSES OF ALL DARK HORSES: Croatia, Serbia........ These Balkan neighbors will have fans that travel well to Russia with them being closer to Russia than its western European counterparts and both are known to be rowdy travelers. They both have just enough quality to make a run and especially Croatia. They may not have enough to win it all, but don't be surprised if one of these nations gets all they way to the semifinals or something like that or plays spoiler at least to one of the nations above.

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on May 18, 2018, 09:00:51 am
Here is how I see the World Cup shaping up.... I don't really see anyone else having a shot

FAVORITES: Spain, Germany- with the World Cup being played in Russia I'd say these two European nations have to be favorites to win it all

SECOND TIER: Brazil, Argentina- if the tournament was in South America like last time I might put these two nations right in line with the favorites above

THIRD TIER: Portugal, France, Belgium

MY DARK HORSES OF ALL DARK HORSES: Croatia, Serbia........ These Balkan neighbors will have fans that travel well to Russia with them being closer to Russia than its western European counterparts and both are known to be rowdy travelers. They both have just enough quality to make a run and especially Croatia. They may not have enough to win it all, but don't be surprised if one of these nations gets all they way to the semifinals or something like that or plays spoiler at least to one of the nations above.

I like Egypt with Salah. They could surprise some people I think

AirWarren

Quote from: WPWells on May 18, 2018, 09:36:31 am

Vamos a México!!!!!!!!
Vamos para Portugal!!!!
Tornillo España!!!!!!!

Longfellow

I just can't get into the World Cup if the USMNT isn't playing. There's nothing that just draws me in

beach bum

I have to agree with you Longfellow it stings not having the Stars and Stripes in the World Cup and it is going to be WEIRD AND I MEAN WEIRD watching without us..... And AW I am on the Portugal bandwagon too. I'd like to see Ronaldo take them to a run to the semifinals or even the finals!

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on May 18, 2018, 09:36:31 am

He is in the form of his life right now and a gritty defensive effort to go with him can take them further than people may think. And it helps they are in an easy group. If they can get a draw or win against Uruguay in their first group stage match they are sitting pretty to go the knockout round. I would love to see Egypt vs Portugal in the round of 16 which is very likely to happen.

AirWarren

Hazard makes it 1-0 on a penalty kick. Terrible tackle inside the box by Jones of MANU.

CHELSEA capitalizes. 23rd minute.

beach bum

So glad I saw your post.... I had forgotten the FA Cup Final was on.... I just got it turned to Fox now. Chelsea should pull this out. Man U will have trouble getting goals this match is the way I see it.

AirWarren

Chelsea wins 2018 FA Cup.

8 time FA cup winners.

Eden Hazard, Kante and Olivier Giroud were all over the field.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on May 19, 2018, 12:36:51 pm
So glad I saw your post.... I had forgotten the FA Cup Final was on.... I just got it turned to Fox now. Chelsea should pull this out. Man U will have trouble getting goals this match is the way I see it.

Not the champions league or EPL. BUT we got some hardware.

Now let's see what happens to Conte.

AirWarren

Not world soccer news. But a historic day for the good folks of Warren, AR.

In 2012, the WSD decides to begin and establish a soccer program for the WSD. While not a popular sport by any means, the sport just needed a place to shine and show off one of the demographic shifts in the city. Warren has long been known as a melting pot community over the years, but the culture of soccer had an opportunity to explode thanks in part to a large Hispanic influx into the community. Other than the good ole USA, soccer is king in the Mexican and South American communities and it has really shown since 2012.

In the past 6 years, Warren has made it to the playoffs including quarterfinal and semi final appearance, as well as state runner up in 2017 and now class 4a state champions of 2018. And the community has absolutely embraced it! Warren now has football, baseball, basketball, track, tennis, and now a soccer state title to add to our long storied successful athletic history there in south Arkansas.

Thank you to the parents. The coaches. The warren school district. And mostly importantly the kids in bringing this amazing sport to the city of Warren, AR and competing at a high level. I've always said that warren may not have a mall or Starbucks but we have pride in our town, school, and kids. And it is proven every year.

Congrats to the soccer community. Congrats to the Warren School District. And congrats to the CLASS 4A STATE CHAMPION WARREN LUMBERJACK SOCCER CLUB! Here's to making Warren king of
Football AND FUTBOL!

VHSCoach2

A football club called Hashtag United has been placed into the football pyramid, in step six of Non-League. The team came about through a collaboration of FIFA and YouTube sports guys, and they have achieved official FA licensure.

Here is the club's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashtag_United_F.C.

And YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeJ73ymlLhLctITwdi9iCVw

Judging by the record since the club was formed, they seem somewhat competent and competitive against their competition.

AirWarren

Thank you for your contributions Antonio. A EPL title and FA cup title. But letting John Terry, Batsuayi, Matic, and some poor soccer player named DIEGO COSTA.....go.....?? Come on.

Ex Napoli Boss, Maurizio Sarri appears to be the next leader of Chelsea FC.

https://www.bing-amp.com/c/s/www.thesun.co.uk%2fsport%2ffootball%2f6374613%2fchelsea-roman-abramovich-agrees-deal-maurizio-sarri-replace-antonio-conte-seven-hour-crunch-talks%2famp%2f

beach bum

Chelsea and Arsenal will be the most interesting clubs to see what kind of moves they can make this summer to add to their squads for sure.... Chelsea especially.

beach bum

It's about 50 minutes in and Fulham is trying to hold off Aston Villa for the last EPL spot. Tom Cairney scored in the 23rd minute for Fulham and they are still holding the 1-0 lead. One more goal for Fulham should be enough you would think.

beach bum

Fulham does it... They're headed to the top flight. They had to play a man down for the last 20 minutes too. Now, Chelsea has their smaller neighbors just a couple miles away to the west at Craven Cottage again.

beach bum

Sergio Ramos is such a known punk.... He knocks Salah out of the match on such a dirty play. Its still 0-0 but its going to be hard for Liverpool  to beat Real Madrid now without Salah.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas