• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 conference and district tourneys

Started by bigworm, January 18, 2016, 12:23:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigworm

Does anyone know anything about the format for next year? I see the conferences listed on AAA website but word is district tournaments will be different than conference. I hear you wont play teams in your conference. Anyone have any info on this?

BigLion10

Guess everyone's still confused as well worm, I don't have a clue lol

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bigworm on January 18, 2016, 12:23:46 am
Does anyone know anything about the format for next year? I see the conferences listed on AAA website but word is district tournaments will be different than conference. I hear you wont play teams in your conference. Anyone have any info on this?
go to this page....
http://www.ahsaa.org/activity/55/classes-conferences

the fourth link is to the Combined classifications conferences....the third link is your postseason district....seeding for district tournament(and I'm not joking) is based on a vote by coaches in the district..or that was the original plan when it passed

redrider30

January 20, 2016, 07:48:37 pm #4 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:02:25 pm by redrider30
The new 2A-2 will divide into 2 divisions.
EPC, BIC, Marmaduke and Marked Tree.
Sloan Hendrix, Salem, Cotter and Flippin.
Each team will play the team in their division twice. Teams will be seeded for the district by this record. 1's will play 4's from other division and 2's will play 3's from the other division with no byes to the regional.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: HF on January 20, 2016, 06:40:39 pm
Quote from: bigworm on January 18, 2016, 12:23:46 am
go to this page....
http://www.ahsaa.org/activity/55/classes-conferences

the fourth link is to the Combined classifications conferences....the third link is your postseason district....seeding for district tournament(and I'm not joking) is based on a vote by coaches in the district..or that was the original plan when it passed

I see this going over about like a lead ballon!!  😂😂😂

bigworm

This has got to be the most idiotic crap ive ever seen .............or maybe its genius. But it would take some explaining for it to make sense to me 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bigworm on January 20, 2016, 09:53:55 pm
This has got to be the most idiotic crap ive ever seen .............or maybe its genius. But it would take some explaining for it to make sense to me 

Better tell your coach to not make anyone angry during the year, or you could have a 1 vs 2 first round match up out of spite

bigworm

Have you heard the reasoning behind this?

Missco

Y'all amaze me. Missouri has had this set up for years and their district seedings cause zero issues. They are seeded correctly. Geesh.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 10:11:48 pm
Y'all amaze me. Missouri has had this set up for years and their district seedings cause zero issues. They are seeded correctly. Geesh.

Some have the glass half full...Some have it half empty...Mine had the bottom busted out of it a while back ::)

Missco

Heck, we take four to regionals, lol. Everything is pretty watered down anyway.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 10:18:15 pm
Heck, we take four to regionals, lol. Everything is pretty watered down anyway.

1A-3 Takes everyone to region 8)

Missco

In Missouri only one team advances. I wish Arkansas would goto six team conferences where only two advanced

keohog

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 10:23:41 pm
In Missouri only one team advances. I wish Arkansas would goto six team conferences where only two advanced
Why should it matter to us how Missouri does things?

NEA Razorback olfan

Next year is going to be a mess, with combined conferences, coaches voting on seeding :P

Fun fun!! :-\

HorseFeathers

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on January 20, 2016, 10:31:36 pm
Next year is going to be a mess, with combined conferences, coaches voting on seeding :P

I'd vote my arch rival 10th in a 7 team conference, would only be right wouldn't it?

Missco

It shouldn't but my main point was they seed district tournaments and some of the teams never play in regular season. It's not that big of a deal. Enough of the teams will still play each other that the seeding shouldn't be out of whack. It was done this way in the past .

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 10:41:44 pm
It shouldn't but my main point was they seed district tournaments and some of the teams never play in regular season. It's not that big of a deal. Enough of the teams will still play each other that the seeding shouldn't be out of whack. It was done this way in the past .

Are Missouri's conferences limited to just 2 classes? Or are they more geographical? I used to pay a little bit of attention to my parents alma maters, but haven't looked at them in while.....I know the tiny school my dad graduated from has been playing in the same conference since he was in High School....

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: HF on January 20, 2016, 10:38:42 pm

I'd vote my arch rival 10th in a 7 team conference, would only be right wouldn't it?

Yes sir !!!!

Missco

In Missouri conferences have nothing to do with districts. Just like the new method in Arkansas. In Missouri it is a little worse sometimes a conference is made up of schools double the others. But it's their choice. It actually helps the smaller schools come district tournament time.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 10:47:00 pm
In Missouri conferences have nothing to do with districts. Just like the new method in Arkansas. In Missouri it is a little worse sometimes a conference is made up of schools double the others. But it's their choice. It actually helps the smaller schools come district tournament time.

That's what I thought...

Missco

January 20, 2016, 10:55:04 pm #22 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:03:18 pm by Missco
Arkansas has to many classes. That is what causes the travel issues. Easy problem to solve, goto less classes, 5 would be enough. In TN their are only 3 classes. Y'all really would moron about that. Class A has around 115 schools and ranges from schools with 50 to around 350 to 375 students. I am just stating that schools already have a easier chance to win a state title in this State. I like it when the games are closer and you don't have to travel 2.5 hours.

Oldref

Back in my day (early 70's) there were only districts......no regional tournaments and there were only 4 classifications with a lot more schools in each classification.  I think we had 16 teams in our district....so  many you couldn't play a home and home with everyone many we just played one time. Your regular season record was only good for seeding and everyone went to the district tournament with the same chance to go to state. You  had to make it to the district tournament finals to go to state. Talk about some heated games we  had them and it was a huge accomplishment to make it to state.

Now I don't want to make anyone mad but I don't want us to model Arkansas after Missouri very much at all because they have always been a little weird on how they do HS sports compared to Arkansas. Just my personal opinion.

I do think the AAA could  have come up with  a better plan and eliminated a couple of classifications while they are at it. I think there were a very few schools that made a lot of noise that caused this to happen. Don't think it is a really good plan but we will soon find out.

Missco

January 20, 2016, 11:10:31 pm #24 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:12:32 pm by Missco
I agree old ref. The problem is when you try to have 8 in a district with 7 classes you have schools playing each other that are to far apart. No fans travel much and it helps no one. I say combine classes A and AA. AAA and AAAA and then make two classes with between the other three classes. I like the new way. It will make district tournaments mean something again. It limits travel and makes schools around each other play one another.

Oldref

Five classes would be about right in my opinion also. I think there will be some schools that will throw a absolute fit once they have a couple of years of this new alignment. From what I can see several schools will have even more travel while some will have much less so the problem has just moved around a little. I think everyone knows schools like Mountain Home had a huge travel burden the way it was and they were one of the largest voices in getting it reworked. I am not opposed to them trying this.......lord knows they have done worse. Don't get me started on how they assign state tournaments these days LOL!!

bigworm

I can assure you AAA wont drop the number of teams playing in post season. They want as many games as possible. I honestly dont give a rip what they do. Ill go wherever i need to go to watch my kids play. Like i said, it may be genius. Im just ignorant to the reasoning for it. Btw, My glass is completely full. Its always a matter of perspective.  ;)

Missco

I am a positive guy. I am for giving this a shot. As far as state tournaments Arkansas is one of the only states that doesn't utilize colleges and a central location.

BoxNOne

AAA will not reduce the number of classifications unless there is a revolt in the streets. Seven classes equals seven state tournaments equals more $$$ than four or five state tournaments. And you have the football playoffs where I believe there are six classes. Cut that to four and the $$$ go down. As for next years crap, I personally don't care for it but it was passed and will be in effect for at least two years. I just don't care for regular season not really meaning a whole lot.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BoxNOne on January 21, 2016, 08:03:17 am
AAA will not reduce the number of classifications unless there is a revolt in the streets. Seven classes equals seven state tournaments equals more $$$ than four or five state tournaments. And you have the football playoffs where I believe there are six classes. Cut that to four and the $$$ go down. As for next years crap, I personally don't care for it but it was passed and will be in effect for at least two years. I just don't care for regular season not really meaning a whole lot.

The school administrations keeps rubber stamp voting to approve everything the AAA committee recommends...sooo

RedWolf275

HF this is true. My biggest question with this is what was wrong with the way we were doing it in 1A thru 4A. I am not seeing the big travel advantage in these classifications. Some schools will have less travel and some will have more. If 5A thru 7A needed tweaking that's ok. But why change all of it.

MikelB

Coaches voting on seeding is exactly why a lot of teams no longer play in the NEA Tourney.  It is asinine to think that all coaches will be fair and vote based on statistics and not on emotions and what will help them make if further. I mean we've already seen teams throw district and regional tournament games to get better seeding in the next tournament.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 21, 2016, 10:55:37 am
HF this is true. My biggest question with this is what was wrong with the way we were doing it in 1A thru 4A. I am not seeing the big travel advantage in these classifications. Some schools will have less travel and some will have more. If 5A thru 7A needed tweaking that's ok. But why change all of it.

Seems like they keep proposing one size fits all "fixes"

Bigditchlion

+1 mikelb

So let's say a team has been kicking the mess out of you for years by double digits. That team is going to harbor bad emotions no doubt especially if they were accustomed to winning. This will make regular season mean nothing. It's basically going to be 2 regionals.

What I foresee is expanded non conference play so you will at least see who your playing in your conference. Even though they are only in your mixed up conference.

Fan_Man

I know I am a little late on this, but from my understanding of taking to an AD  the superintendents decided to keep travel down they would go to this format for next year.  At the time they made the decision some schools were having to travel as far as 2 hours away to several different teams and gas prices were high.  The coaches will decide on seedings based on records, however if you don't play the same teams you are comparing apples to oranges.  No more conference play and once in the district tournament you could play teams you have never played all year because your schedule doesn't include "conference" play as we have known it.    Coaches and AD's are not happy about this.  Decisions were made by higher ups based on information I was given.

Missco

I think in the end it will work better than people think. Most of the district teams will play each other. I realize every district has a few teams that won't. In the end you have to win to advance anyway. Basketball is watered down in this State anyway.

NEA Razorback olfan

Missco

I say just combine seven classes into five maybe even four. That solves the issue.

Ctucker

Our school has to travel further all together now, this thing is a joke.

Missco

2A schools are not taken into consideration that they lowered the number in that class. Their now is only around 48 schools in AA. If they do away with combined conferences then travel will be horrible in AA. The solution is to quit living in a participation trophy era and have less classifications.

Ctucker

I agree but if it is the way it is we could have a conference a lot closer than the one they put us in. When I played only top 2 from conference went to region and top to from region went to state and I liked that.

Ctucker

Besides that I told you we are traveling father with new way than old way so how can you say it would be worse.

Missco

Yep. And their wasn't seven classes. Their also was a lot more schools and most years only 4 to 5 classes. Pre-80s their were 3 to 4 classes. 7 is way to many. 5 tops. TN has 3 with about 75 more schools.

Ctucker

I agree with what your saying but as long as there is as many classes leave it alone.

Missco

It will go back to the old way after two years. The schools upset the most are the nonfootball schools.

Ctucker

BoxNOne

Quote from: Missco on February 06, 2016, 10:25:07 pm
2A schools are not taken into consideration that they lowered the number in that class. Their now is only around 48 schools in AA. If they do away with combined conferences then travel will be horrible in AA. The solution is to quit living in a participation trophy era and have less classifications.

Would anyone have any idea why they reduced the 2A to 48 schools? It will be interesting to see how the they do regionals. Since there are six conferences I assume there will be three regions. I guess five teams from two regions and six teams from one region.

Missco

They will take 4 from each region. Just like 4A does now.

BoxNOne

Ok. A twelve team state tourney. This fits into your watered down theory which I totally agree with. I would like to see five classifications myself.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Missco on February 06, 2016, 10:25:07 pm

Supposed to have always been 48 in 2a....the reason the class had more was because having football automatically moved you up to 2a. Now it doesnt

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas