• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Little League" mom needs help..PLEASE.

Started by fluffymomma, March 29, 2007, 10:27:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffymomma

Actually he's 7 in the minor division right now.  I need to buy a catcher's mitt.  He's left handed which I know he needs a mitt for his right hand.  My question is what brand should he start out with...some are soft and some are hard?  It's a little late to be breaking in a new glove so please give me suggestions.

On the Move

Fluffymomma
Easton makes some great gloves in all price ranges.  Don't start off with like major expensive.  But if you get one that is sorta stiff.  Can shaving cream will take care of that.  Make sure when you lather it up to place a ball in the pocket and rubber band it.  If you have a play it again sports also check with them.  2nd hand is good at this age, plus can save alot.  My kids have used easton, wilson, muzzio and custom gloves.  As he grows his own taste will kick in.

fluffymomma

At 7 he's already picky...Not necessarily spoiled but picky.  I'm looking forward to starting over with baseball.  We played softball with my daughter, that just turned 18 so here we go again.  Thanks for the info.

wampuscat_23

Make sure that when he gets older he goes to a different position..."Left handed catcher" says it all.

On the Move

If he is already picky better start saving for that equipment!!!!!!!  I have one of those, he doesn't ask for alot.  But wow when he does, he has researched it to death and boy does it cost.

fluffymomma

Quote from: wampuscat_23 on March 29, 2007, 11:15:06 am
Make sure that when he gets older he goes to a different position..."Left handed catcher" says it all.

Most of this team is very young and inexperienced.  He's one of the only ones that can catch consistently.  As long as he's happy, I'm good.  He has a couple of years before moving up....and IMO at this point I think catching will give him the fundamentals of the game.  I'm not into positions at this age, but want the proper equipment for him.  In the past he has normally played 3rd.

har...mine asked for the moon....

philgoodallday

Mizuno gloves are the easiest to break in, because they are softer at the time of purchase.  My nephew bought one this year, and he commented on the ease of breaking it in, as did his dad who played college ball.  I'm a coach and caught for around eight years, so I hope that helps a little.

On the Move

I think at young ages they need to play a little of all positions.  Just so they know what everyone is to do on the field.  Not everyone thinks that way.  My son can play all positions and understands where everyone needs to be.  It's great when they are talking to each other on the field.  Good luck, I sure miss that age.  Baseball was more fun back then.

fluffymomma

Quote from: har on March 29, 2007, 11:30:35 am
I think at young ages they need to play a little of all positions.  Just so they know what everyone is to do on the field.  Not everyone thinks that way.  My son can play all positions and understands where everyone needs to be.  It's great when they are talking to each other on the field.  Good luck, I sure miss that age.  Baseball was more fun back then.

I really agree with kids at this age playing all positions.  Luckily his coaches are the same.  They have said everyone will get a chance to move around and see how the game's played from the different positions.  It's really kind of funny to me that his coaches seem to put him into the positions that most lefty's don't play very much....but like I said as long as he's happy I support whatever.

philgood....I saw a Mizuno that was soft and not horribly priced....I think I'll go get it.  Thanks...

Footballer

Untrue. The best catcher I've ever seen firsthand was left-handed.

And as far as the glove, I agree that a Mizuno would be the best.

Coach Runyan

Quote from: Footballer on March 29, 2007, 11:45:35 am

Well, I bet bottom dollar his HS coach makes him a pitcher, 1B, or OF.

philgoodallday

The reason for the comments about a lefty playing at the catcher position have nothing to do with their proficiency at other positions.  Logistically, the left-handed catcher has more difficult throwing angles.  Talent can lesson the gap, so you never know.

Footballer

Quote from: Bill Bethea on March 29, 2007, 12:07:25 pm

The kid I'm talking about was in HS, and he's the best HS catcher I've ever seen.

bleudog

March 29, 2007, 12:37:31 pm #13 Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:45:10 pm by bleudog
http://www.akademapro.com/prosoft_series.html

Great glove but may be too big for a seven year old. 

Akadema makes smaller youth catchers mitts, but they are right hand throw only.

The link is to the company site.  Other sources can be found for a lower price.

Old Lion

March 29, 2007, 02:24:35 pm #14 Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 04:36:36 pm by Lion supporter
I have seen some left handed catchers that were awsome. Maybe he will be one of those. Good luck with your son and hope he gets to play where he is most comfortable at.  That was such a fun age to be involved with.

Super Scrapper

Quote from: Footballer on March 29, 2007, 12:23:23 pm

The kid I'm talking about was in HS, and he's the best HS catcher I've ever seen.

All I can say is you have seen a very limited number of catchers, no matter the ages...SS

Go Scrappers

;D

crazyman

Left handers shouldnt play catcher. I know some of yall have said you have seen some good ones but they shouldnt be there.

fluffymomma

Some of y'all are really making too much of this.  He's 7 years old on a team that has limited catching ability....and I mean catching in any form.  He's being put in a position that lefty's don't normally play but the coach isn't trying to make an a Pro out of him.  I just wanted to get him the right equipment so he could preform the job properly.  Those of you that have helped me make an informed decision on a mitt...thank you.  I picked up a Mizuno this afternoon and my son did a wonderful job for his age.  Hopefully he'll have a chance to play all positions, but until then....he'll play where the coach needs him.  I'm glad he doesn't realize that lefty's don't normally play catcher....or he might not even try.....

Marionpats07™

Quote from: fluffymomma on March 29, 2007, 09:08:33 pm
Some of y'all are really making too much of this.  He's 7 years old on a team that has limited catching ability....and I mean catching in any form.  He's being put in a position that lefty's don't normally play but the coach isn't trying to make an a Pro out of him.  I just wanted to get him the right equipment so he could preform the job properly.  Those of you that have helped me make an informed decision on a mitt...thank you.  I picked up a Mizuno this afternoon and my son did a wonderful job for his age.  Hopefully he'll have a chance to play all positions, but until then....he'll play where the coach needs him.  I'm glad he doesn't realize that lefty's don't normally play catcher....or he might not even try.....

Honestly, I played baseball for 11 years, just go to wal mart, hes 7, the mit will get stomped on thrown around and used by other people, go to wal mart or any store you want, find a mit that fits him good, buy you the lubricant for gloves, put it in the glove put a baseball in the mit, put it under your matress for a day or two, play catch with it. And repeat if you want.

Coach Runyan

No disrespect, but coming from a 17 year old from AR, I am going to take that with a grain of salt.

Without being a jerk, in 5 years of D1 college ball, I NEVER saw a LHC.

fluffymomma

Quote from: MarionPats07™ on March 29, 2007, 09:12:53 pm
Honestly, I played baseball for 11 years, just go to wal mart, hes 7, the mit will get stomped on thrown around and used by other people, go to wal mart or any store you want, find a mit that fits him good, buy you the lubricant for gloves, put it in the glove put a baseball in the mit, put it under your matress for a day or two, play catch with it. And repeat if you want.

Thanks I tried that but they didn't have any for a lefty....that's the reason I was asking for help....so we opted for a Mizuno...

The Beast Of 08

That's a really good story!!!But the woman never asked for yalls opinion on whether or not her son should play catcher. She simply asked for help in finding a good mit.

Marionpats07™

Quote from: fluffymomma on March 29, 2007, 09:35:11 pm
Quote from: MarionPats07™ on March 29, 2007, 09:12:53 pm

Thanks I tried that but they didn't have any for a lefty....that's the reason I was asking for help....so we opted for a Mizuno...

Check sports authority, hibbet sports or any sports store, if they dont have them in the store. Then talk to them and request them to order you one. They should.

J-Rod

If you're going for a good quality glove, go for a Rawlings...You won't get any better... I have a custom Heart Of The Hide, and it's like sticking your hand into Heaven...I hear a lot of people praise Wilson A2000s, but I've had one of those, and it was the worst glove I'd ever had....But for a left-handed catcher, I wouldn't spend to much, because he won't be in that position for very much longer.

Coach Runyan

Quote from: The Beast Of 08 on March 29, 2007, 09:40:32 pm
That's a really good story!!!But the woman never asked for yalls opinion on whether or not her son should play catcher. She simply asked for help in finding a good mit.

Well, since the FF police are after me, I have always preferred Rawlings HOH. Wilsons are also nice mitts. I have never used a Mizuno or Nokona that I liked. Akademas are a joke.

J-Rod

Quote from: Bill Bethea on March 29, 2007, 10:06:19 pm
Quote from: The Beast Of 08 on March 29, 2007, 09:40:32 pm

Well, since the FF police are after me, I have always preferred Rawlings HOH. Wilsons are also nice mitts. I have never used a Mizuno or Nokona that I liked. Akademas are a joke.
You absolutely can't go wrong with a Heart Of The Hide. I've heard the wilson catchers mitts are decent. But for the best catchers mitts you want All-Star... Here's a pic of my baby

On the Move

Fluffymomma glad you found a glove.  Good luck and let him have a great time. 

Majique™

Wal-Mart carries "HOT GLOVE Heat Treatment", "conditioner" that you spay on the glove, rub it in well then place it in the oven for 4 minutes then repeat one or two more times.   This stuff works miracles for breaking in the mitt.  It does in three applications what used to take two weeks or more of manual manipulation to get the glove to be pliable and comfortable.

Good luck and have fun!

Majique™

Quote from: Bill Bethea on March 29, 2007, 09:23:15 pm

No disrespect, but coming from a 17 year old from AR, I am going to take that with a grain of salt.

Without being a jerk, in 5 years of D1 college ball, I NEVER saw a LHC.
I take anything coming from a UTex grad with a grain of salt.   HEE HEE.

J-Rod

Quote from: Majique™ on March 30, 2007, 10:04:47 am
Wal-Mart carries "HOT GLOVE Heat Treatment", "conditioner" that you spay on the glove, rub it in well then place it in the oven for 4 minutes then repeat one or two more times.   This stuff works miracles for breaking in the mitt.  It does in three applications what used to take two weeks or more of manual manipulation to get the glove to be pliable and comfortable.

Good luck and have fun!

The best way to break a glove in, is by playing catch, and not using anything artificial. That way the glove forms to your hand how you'd like it. When you use things to soften them up and break them in without throwing, it doesn't form to your hand as well. But for glove conditioner, I use Nokona Glove Oil, that stuff is wonderful. But wipe your glove off with a damp rag before you oil it down, or it will trap the dirt in it.

Majique™

Quote from: J-Rod on March 30, 2007, 10:08:54 am

Good luck and have fun!

The best way to break a glove in, is by playing catch, and not using anything artificial. That way the glove forms to your hand how you'd like it. When you use things to soften them up and break them in without throwing, it doesn't form to your hand as well. But for glove conditioner, I use Nokona Glove Oil, that stuff is wonderful. But wipe your glove off with a damp rag before you oil it down, or it will trap the dirt in it.
I think the "playing catch" goes without saying.  Who would put conditioner on a glove or wrap a ball in the glove then not play catch?   IMO if you're not playing catch then you're not interested in using the glove so anything you've done to the glove is useless.  A glove only gets better with use...use it often and properly and it will serve you well for a long time.

J-Rod

Quote from: Majique™ on March 30, 2007, 10:13:50 am
Quote from: J-Rod on March 30, 2007, 10:08:54 am

Good luck and have fun!

I think the "playing catch" goes without saying.  Who would put conditioner on a glove or wrap a ball in the glove then not play catch?   IMO if you're not playing catch then you're not interested in using the glove so anything you've done to the glove is useless.  A glove only gets better with use...use it often and properly and it will serve you well for a long time.
I wasn't saying that the kid wouldn't throw. A lot of kids parents put a variation of things on gloves to try to "pre-break" them. Which really serves no purpose. If you don't want to go through breaking in a glove, you shouldn't play.

fluffymomma

Well he likes the Mizuno...I did pick up some Nokona Glove conditioner while I was there....went home and covered it pretty good, rubbed it in, then wiped it down.  Then the fun started.  We got out the pitching machine and let him catch until he was tired.  The mit did great and so did he I might add.  Thanks for all of the help.  No I did not stand where first should be and catch his throws....haha

J-Rod

Quote from: fluffymomma on March 30, 2007, 11:06:30 am
Well he likes the Mizuno...I did pick up some Nokona Glove conditioner while I was there....went home and covered it pretty good, rubbed it in, then wiped it down.  Then the fun started.  We got out the pitching machine and let him catch until he was tired.  The mit did great and so did he I might add.  Thanks for all of the help.  No I did not stand where first should be and catch his throws....haha
haha, that's great to hear. The Nokona Glove Conditioner is amazing. Keeps the leather very soft. Does your sone have a pretty good arm?

fluffymomma

Quote from: J-Rod on March 30, 2007, 11:10:59 am
haha, that's great to hear. The Nokona Glove Conditioner is amazing. Keeps the leather very soft. Does your sone have a pretty good arm?

I'm partial of course...but yes.  He can throw on a standard LL field from 3rd to first with pretty good accuracy.(Not 100%), but the majority.  I think it will be fun and I'm looking forward to a great season of watching.

J-Rod

Quote from: fluffymomma on March 30, 2007, 11:16:32 am
Quote from: J-Rod on March 30, 2007, 11:10:59 am

I'm partial of course...but yes.  He can throw on a standard LL field from 3rd to first with pretty good accuracy.(Not 100%), but the majority.  I think it will be fun and I'm looking forward to a great season of watching.
You should see if he'd like to pitch. I started pitching when I was 8. A lefty with a strong arm is always high in demand.

fluffymomma

You never know.  I took him to the Billy Bock tournament to watch the "big boys" and he loved it.  He asked so many questions about why about the pitcher did this or that... One of the pitchers from PB played catch with him a a few weeks ago and he was in heaven.  If he wants to pursue it...I'm game.  Time will tell.

J-Rod

Quote from: fluffymomma on March 30, 2007, 11:31:05 am
You never know.  I took him to the Billy Bock tournament to watch the "big boys" and he loved it.  He asked so many questions about why about the pitcher did this or that... One of the pitchers from PB played catch with him a a few weeks ago and he was in heaven.  If he wants to pursue it...I'm game.  Time will tell.
I've always loved just simply playing the game, but I love pitching more than anything. The pitchers the guy in control of the game. My parents got me an instructor when I was 7-8-9, to teach me the proper mechanics and things of that sort, and it made a world of difference. I've never had any arm problems. And, a hard throwing lefty can make it a pretty good ways in this game.

fluffymomma

Quote from: J-Rod on March 30, 2007, 11:34:33 am
I've always loved just simply playing the game, but I love pitching more than anything. The pitchers the guy in control of the game. My parents got me an instructor when I was 7-8-9, to teach me the proper mechanics and things of that sort, and it made a world of difference. I've never had any arm problems. And, a hard throwing lefty can make it a pretty good ways in this game.

Yeah...if he's interested, I'd have to get an instructor, cause I'm clueless on mechanics.

J-Rod

Quote from: fluffymomma on March 30, 2007, 11:37:33 am
Quote from: J-Rod on March 30, 2007, 11:34:33 am

Yeah...if he's interested, I'd have to get an instructor, cause I'm clueless on mechanics.
Haha...most parents are. It's amazes me on how many parents are baseball experts. A lot of players get hurt because of incorrect mechanics.

Coach Runyan

Quote from: Majique™ on March 30, 2007, 10:07:05 am
I take anything coming from a UTex grad with a grain of salt.   HEE HEE.

Huh??? Don't let the handle confuse you. That is an AState tribute.

Majique™

March 30, 2007, 06:14:30 pm #41 Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:18:02 pm by Majique™
Quote from: Bill Bethea on March 30, 2007, 02:33:37 pm
Quote from: Majique™ on March 30, 2007, 10:07:05 am
I take anything coming from a UTex grad with a grain of salt.   HEE HEE.

Huh??? Don't let the handle confuse you. That is an AState tribute.
Oh, I was referring to the Bill Bethea that played for Texas in the 60s and went on to play in the minors for StL.

Click here --->Bill Bethea

Coach Runyan

Same cat. He was my college coach @ ASU and is the stuff that legends are made of. I have got some stories........

fluffymomma

Hey Guys...
Thanks so much for all of the help with the mit and conditioning.  My 7 yr old had his first game Saturday.  It was his 3rd time behind the plate with a pitching machine and batter.  He did wonderfully.  Caught about 65-70% of the balls and threw a batter out at first.  So the first time out was great.

As far as being a lefty, he threw the batter out with ease....and he's learning the game...

In a year or so....maybe y'all can give me a good pitching coach in the PB or LR area.  That way I won't have to listen to all of you tell me he doesn't need to catch....

Thanks,

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas