• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A Baseball

Started by TIGER101, November 22, 2011, 05:34:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TIGER101

What made Beeks so difficult to hit is because he could throw three different pitches for strikes at any time.  Aaron is working on trying to get better at the same thing. 

gametime

What I would want to know about all theses teams is who will be playing their position while they are pitching.  I know Shiloh will not be the same team when Petrino is on the mound and not at short.  I would ask the same of Prairie Grove.  When Kincaid and Daniels are pitching what kind of quality players will be playing short and catching?

TIGER101

I can't speak for other schools but PG will be very versatile.  They will have such as Bartholomew, Tice, and Halbert who have all been able to step in and take care of the shortstop position.  They will have Sugg to catch when Daniels steps in to pitch.  All these players started and played last year, and won't have any problem taking care of these positions.

Flanders

December 06, 2011, 11:33:20 am #53 Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:10:59 pm by Flanders

PGTIGERS09

Jalen was also a lefty so that was a big factor.  Threw hard, movement, Placement.   Beeks is the best pitcher to ever play at PG IMO.  Areiola (spelling) was good but never dominant.  In his defense he never had an infield like PG does now and Duggan was his coach.   I have watched a lot of baseball in my life,  I have never seen a better game than the one Jalen threw against Valley View two years ago.   

TIGER101

Quote from: Flanders on December 06, 2011, 11:33:20 am
Who played short last year when Aaron pitched? He seemed like he struggled with the glove

One was a ninth grader, he will be a lot more comfortable this year.  He will probably be the one who handles most of it this year.

Flanders

Shiloh will be thin on the infield when petrino pitches. Last year they had oliver to fill in

TIGER101

Shiloh only lost their 2nd baseman and couple of outfielders?  Am I missing something?

Flanders

They lost their 2nd baseman 1st baseman center fielder and starting pitcher. Chris also played short when david pitched but with petrino pitching they'll only have one starting infielder from last year

TIGER101

I might sound a little biased, but I feel like PG's biggest advantage is they were never a power hitting team the past couple of years.  Teams like Shiloh and even Farmington a little, the new bats will be a bigger difference for them.  PG only hit like 5 HR last year and we had to live off manufacturing runs.  Compare that to Shiloh hit something like 6 HR against us the first time we played them.

TIGER101

Quote from: Flanders on December 08, 2011, 02:37:59 pm
They lost their 2nd baseman 1st baseman center fielder and starting pitcher. Chris also played short when david pitched but with petrino pitching they'll only have one starting infielder from last year

I wouldn't count the first baseman.  Palino "not sure about spelling" was their first baseman last year wasn't he?

Flanders

He was the DH. He was injured. But I forgot about him until you said that. I guess I should have said the middle infield would be pretty thin when petrino pitches

TIGER101

Yeah, I say they are still the team to beat till someone else beats them.  They have a lot more coming back than most people think..

TIGER101

December 08, 2011, 03:24:28 pm #63 Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:44:22 pm by TIGER101
H

TmacNumber8

Quote from: Skunk Ape, Esq. on November 29, 2011, 11:49:39 am
One more things...I'm pretty sure Ozark's ace was hurt most of last season.

Tat defiantly hurt us. The kid throws mid-80's constantly. No one is even speaking of Ozark this year after losing 3 starters from a 3-seed (Could have been 4, memory escapes me) in the district last year. With Gresham back on the bump this year, I think a lot of people will be in for a suprise. Zach Burks was a pitcher last year who hit about 75-80ish returning who has improved quite a bit over the offseason. Alot of juniors coming up as well have some stuff.

gametime

If he is going to throw 84-86 he better have some other stuff or teams like Shiloh and Prairie Grove will feast off of him.  You will be better off throwing the kid who throws in the 70's.

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: gametime on December 11, 2011, 11:45:11 am
If he is going to throw 84-86 he better have some other stuff or teams like Shiloh and Prairie Grove will feast off of him.  You will be better off throwing the kid who throws in the 70's.

Funny, I thought Prairie Grove's weakness was at the plate last year.

TIGER101

If what you're saying is from what I said, I made the comment that they were not a power hitting team. I never meant that they were not a good hitting team. you don't go as far as they went last year and not be a good hitting team. I would say they were second in our league in every batting category there is other than home runs behind Shiloh.

TIGER101

All home runs hit in farmington need an asterik next to it..lol

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: TIGER101 on December 12, 2011, 11:44:51 am
If what you're saying is from what I said, I made the comment that they were not a power hitting team. I never meant that they were not a good hitting team. you don't go as far as they went last year and not be a good hitting team. I would say they were second in our league in every batting category there is other than home runs behind Shiloh.

No, what I said wasn't in response to your earlier posts. I did actually see Prairie Grove play baseball last year, more than once, and felt they were lacking in solid contact hitters overall.

They won with solid defense, a very good pitcher, and a good #2.

TIGER101

Early in the year I would agree.  Remember though PG was batting 5 sophomores and two freshman last year.  So 7 out of their 9 were still pretty young.  At the end of the year they only got out hit in one game " regional against Shiloh ".  They out hit Shiloh two out of the last three times they played, including the 4A championship game. 

gametime

Tiger101, I think there were 4 sophomores and 2 freshman..
Freshman: Sugg and Tice
Sophomores: Halbert, Kincaid, Bartholomew, and Henderson
Juniors: Daniels
Seniors: Beeks, Cook

TIGER101

My mistake, you are 100% correct.  You seem to know more than I do about Prairie Grove baseball.  I guess when we play each other so often you can't help but know these things.  LOL

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: TIGER101 on December 12, 2011, 01:52:34 pm
Early in the year I would agree.  Remember though PG was batting 5 sophomores and two freshman last year.  So 7 out of their 9 were still pretty young.  At the end of the year they only got out hit in one game " regional against Shiloh ".  They out hit Shiloh two out of the last three times they played, including the 4A championship game.

Getting out hit has more to do with excellent pitching than it does good hitting, in my opinion.

TIGER101

I really don't get what you are saying.  In the last 6 games a year ago, PG faced Oliver 2 1/2 games (hogs), Mena twin (UCA), Heber ace (Ark. Tech), and Ashdown's ace. 

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: TIGER101 on December 13, 2011, 09:30:34 am
I really don't get what you are saying.  In the last 6 games a year ago, PG faced Oliver 2 1/2 games (hogs), Mena twin (UCA), Heber ace (Ark. Tech), and Ashdown's ace.

I should have put the word "not" in front of my post. What I am trying to say is that last year PG had Beeks, arguably one of the top 4-6 pitchers in the entire state. Kincaide (sp) did a good job as the #2. When you have solid pitching and fielding behind you, you might only have to get three hits to win a ballgame because your pitching is keeping the opposition's hit count low and your defense is taking away hits with good glove play.

The Mena twins are no longer at UCA, as an FYI.

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Are you the one being the Karma Cop, Tiger101?

TIGER101

I understand what you are saying.  First they were at UCA. Second you are making it sound like PG is not a very good hitting team.  Yes we did have good pitching last year.  Any team that goes as deep as we did has to.  Just saying we hit the ball pretty dang good the last six or seven games last year.
I will go back to my original post that started this conversation.  I think the teams who lived off of just power and trying to hit the long ball will suffer more than teams like PG who is more of a base hitting and small ball team.

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: TIGER101 on December 13, 2011, 11:09:12 am
I understand what you are saying.  1. First they were at UCA. 2. Second you are making it sound like PG is not a very good hitting team.  Yes we did have good pitching last year.  Any team that goes as deep as we did has to.  Just saying we hit the ball pretty dang good the last six or seven games last year.
I will go back to my original post that started this conversation. 3. I think the teams who lived off of just power and trying to hit the long ball will suffer more than teams like PG who is more of a base hitting and small ball team.

1. Yes, I know. I was giving you information in case you were not aware.
2. You're right. For the most part LAST YEAR I don't think they were. Has nothing to do with this year.
3. No one is going to live off of power this year with the new bat regulations.

PGTIGERS09

Quote from: TIGER101 on December 12, 2011, 11:50:01 am
All home runs hit in farmington need an asterik next to it..lol

They are working on that field now.. so it wont be 280 down the lines anymore. LOL

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: PGTIGERS09 on December 14, 2011, 08:47:56 am
They are working on that field now.. so it wont be 280 down the lines anymore. LOL

Didn't they turn the whole field? I think I was told home plate will now be over where the 3rd base dugout was.

PGTIGERS09

yeah they are turning the whole field around.  They tore down those two little fields and it should be nice. 

Skunk Ape, Esq.

That's good for the conference. I know Prairie Grove has a decent field, Shiloh, Gentry, Ozark (very nice). Last time I drove by Pea Ridge's field it did not look to be in good shape. Gravette's is awful. Never been to Berryville's.

Bighog

Quote from: Flanders on December 08, 2011, 02:56:42 pm
He was the DH. He was injured. But I forgot about him until you said that. I guess I should have said the middle infield would be pretty thin when petrino pitches

Remember this name J.T. Rhodes or Jarrod Chenier
Shiloh infield will be just fine with Petrino pitching.  From what I am seeing Petrino is not the pitcher you need to be worried about.

This will be the lineup this year.
Petrino (short)
Paulino (1st)
Rhodes (3rd)
May (pitch)
Harris (catch)
Chenier (2nd)
McKay (left)
McDonald (right)
Drew Tyler (center)

I would use that line up for the teams that have hitters and use Petrino to strike the other teams out that can't hit.  I would pitch Prairie Grove a diet of change ups and curves.  I would pitch Farmington a diet of fast balls with Spencer Boudrey getting 3 curve balls.

There is your 1-4a "Scouting report)

TIGER101

Which McDonald kid is this?

Flanders

So you think May is their ace?

Bighog

Bighog

Quote from: Flanders on December 14, 2011, 06:38:06 pm
So you think May is their ace?

I would pitch him in the close games.  He did pretty good last year.  I do not really see any trouble in the 1-4A.  Prairie Grove does not have a second pitcher after Kincaid. Farmington does not have a second pitcher after Levi Strope.  Gravette will have a few pitchers. Ozark has one that is ok.  After that I do not know if Ozark has anything else or not.

TIGER101

What did you mean when you said, no trouble in 1-4a?

Bighog

I mean exactly what I said.  I do not see any trouble for them in the 1-4A.  The other teams do not have the hitters that they have.  Nor do they have the pitching.

YES that includes Prairie Grove.

TIGER101

Wow, I do agree with you they should be the favorite but I can promise you PG will not be intimidated when Shiloh comes to town.  In the past PG has been very patient on who Shiloh will see on the mound early in the year.  When the time comes and they both put their main guns on the mound it will be interesting.

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: TIGER101 on December 15, 2011, 12:44:52 am
When the time comes and they both put their main guns on the mound it will be interesting.

Did Kincaide throw against Shiloh last year at all?

Bighog

Yes it WILL BE interesting.  ;D
I showed you Shiloh lineup.  Let's see who you think Prairie Grove will counter with.

Do you save Kincaid for Farmington, Pea Ridge, Ozark, Gravette or Shiloh?
All 5 of those teams will hit someone throwing 78.
Petrino, Harris, Chenier, Paulino and Rhodes will be  ;D in the batters box.
Or do you throw him every game and burn him out by the middle of the season?

Ask Farmington what happens when you overuse a pitcher.

YES it will be interesting.

Flanders

PG better take care of Kincaids arm. Hes gonna be the horse they ride all season. Same goes for Petrino. May is  there number 2 in my opinion. Not sure if PG has a good enough second guy to compete for the conference championship much less make a state run

tiger fan 13

im not to sure about who will be the #2 guy , but i dont think it matters they are all about equal , i have to agree with BigHog ,its not going to be someone throwing in the 80s

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: tiger fan 13 on December 15, 2011, 10:19:12 am
im not to sure about who will be the #2 guy , but i dont think it matters they are all about equal , i have to agree with BigHog ,its not going to be someone throwing in the 80s

This is going to be a problem for PG then.

tiger fan 13

i agree , theres always a kid that changes from yr. to yr. hopefully he just still in basketball....lol yes it will fall off after the kincaid kid, but the coach will just have tyo be smart and take his lumps when it doesnt matter as much

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: tiger fan 13 on December 15, 2011, 11:03:36 am
i agree , theres always a kid that changes from yr. to yr. hopefully he just still in basketball....lol yes it will fall off after the kincaid kid, but the coach will just have tyo be smart and take his lumps when it doesnt matter as much

So would you take your ace in a one game scenario against anyone? Let's say he throws 5 innings in the regional finals and then has to turn around and start on Tuesday in the state tourney?

TIGER101

December 15, 2011, 01:41:31 pm #98 Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:55:23 pm by TIGER101
Quote from: Bighog on December 15, 2011, 08:52:06 am
Yes it WILL BE interesting.  ;D
I showed you Shiloh lineup.  Let's see who you think Prairie Grove will counter with.

Do you save Kincaid for Farmington, Pea Ridge, Ozark, Gravette or Shiloh?
All 5 of those teams will hit someone throwing 78.
Petrino, Harris, Chenier, Paulino and Rhodes will be  ;D in the batters box.
Or do you throw him every game and burn him out by the middle of the season?

Ask Farmington what happens when you overuse a pitcher.

YES it will be interesting.

What I am saying is there are probably only 2 teams that when the time comes they will have coach Harris's butt puckering up.  That will be PG and PA, he knows each of those teams can beat each other on any given
day.
As for a lineup we all know who you will have and you know who we have.
What kind of non conference is Shiloh looking at?

TIGER101

Quote from: Flanders on December 15, 2011, 10:13:41 am
PG better take care of Kincaids arm. Hes gonna be the horse they ride all season. Same goes for Petrino. May is  there number 2 in my opinion. Not sure if PG has a good enough second guy to compete for the conference championship much less make a state run

He will not get over used. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas