• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on full contact practice starting tomorrow

Started by Headhunter15, August 02, 2015, 05:28:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Headhunter15

adaptedtigerfan

macadoshis

macadoshis

Remember parents to make sure your athletes hydrate properly at home before they get to practice.  Mak sure they eat a good breakfast. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on August 02, 2015, 05:35:40 pm
I think football should become two had touch. 

Flags should be used instead of touch... wouldn't want to risk someone making a hit.n

macadoshis

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: macadoshis on August 02, 2015, 08:47:18 pm
Wish it would cool down for boys.

The heat and humidity isn't to bad today.  Nice cool morning to kick it off.  Looks like the humidity could be back by the time they go full pads.

Dayton Kitchens

In my opinion the first few days they should focus very heavily on conditioning and flexibility plus understanding practice procedures and safety.    A thorough briefing on the helmet use and misuse starting out of course.

If I were developing my own practices,  they wouldn't even see a football for the first three or four days.

nastynice

Dayton that's what offseason is for. You better have all that covered and working on X's and O's. If not, then you're already behind. Make the most of the time AAA gives you. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: nastynice on August 03, 2015, 09:24:43 am
Dayton that's what offseason is for. You better have all that covered and working on X's and O's. If not, then you're already behind. Make the most of the time AAA gives you. 
this

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on August 03, 2015, 08:45:05 am
In my opinion the first few days they should focus very heavily on conditioning and flexibility plus understanding practice procedures and safety.    A thorough briefing on the helmet use and misuse starting out of course.

If I were developing my own practices,  they wouldn't even see a football for the first three or four days.

Mr Kitchens, This would be ideal if it was a first ever practice for a group of exchange students!  You ever been around off season, or heard of it?  I will agree with the conditioning and flexibilty getting turned up a notch.

macadoshis

With the new heat acclamation regulations.  They are only in helmets this first few days.  Conditioning should be turned up a notch at this time.  But the boys should have already been running plays in off season and 7on7.  So you have to get straight into X's and O's day one.  If not, then i agree, you are going to be way behind every other team in the state. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 03, 2015, 09:59:58 am
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on August 03, 2015, 08:45:05 am

Mr Kitchens, This would be ideal if it was a first ever practice for a group of exchange students!  You ever been around off season, or heard of it?  I will agree with the conditioning and flexibilty getting turned up a notch.
I agree with your point, if you are heading a Booneville practice. Or any other typically good team. Some schools have kids that you literally HAVE to spend this type of time with in order to move forward. Sad, but happens in more schools than you think. Especially in small schools that go through coaching changes. Sometimes you can't even get in touch with kids or their families until the first of August.

macadoshis

we're still having a few kids filtering in this week.  And a couple on vacation this week.  Who takes vacation the first week of football practice??? Come on parents.  Its football season. 

adaptedtigerfan

We missed a week of summer workouts the last 2 years...  I don't think it out the boy behind tho.

OLDSCHOOL82

August 04, 2015, 10:16:44 am #15 Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:20:26 am by OLDSCHOOL82
Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on August 04, 2015, 10:03:14 am
We missed a week of summer workouts the last 2 years...  I don't think it out the boy behind tho.

Summer workouts or football practice after the AAA allows the season to start?  Looks like you missed those two weeks in keyboarding class.

Bias

I think unless the kids have been setting up playing x box all summer they should be ready. The summer should have consisted of 7 on 7 team camps individual skills camps swimming biking hicking work etc. If not then their parents are part of the reason we even have this talk. Did anyone question whether kids were ready back in the old two a days?

nastynice

Quote from: Bias on August 04, 2015, 01:15:48 pm
I think unless the kids have been setting up playing x box all summer they should be ready. The summer should have consisted of 7 on 7 team camps individual skills camps swimming biking hicking work etc. If not then their parents are part of the reason we even have this talk. Did anyone question whether kids were ready back in the old two a days?
Never. We were glad to go to 2 a days. Kept us out of the hayfields and chicken houses. Starting 2 a days was a much needed break.

adaptedtigerfan

It was keyboarding class...   I musta mislooked it

Lineman

Quote from: nastynice on August 04, 2015, 01:32:03 pm
Never. We were glad to go to 2 a days. Kept us out of the hayfields and chicken houses. Starting 2 a days was a much needed break.
Some of us used to haul hay in between the morning and afternoon practice.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Lineman on August 04, 2015, 03:20:22 pm

That was freakin awesome wasn't it!  You remember when your dad let you stop when the heat index got above 103?................Me neither!

Dayton Kitchens

I did that before.    And we're not talking about round bales on the forks of a tractors lift either.

That said I was jogging four miles a day and doing 250 situps a day in the off season to get ready.     This being in addition to the summer weightlifting schedule.

Needless to say lots of teenage boys spend too much time inside and off their feet in July these days.   

And as said,  at most of the schools I've coached at,  at most you get only about two thirds of your players reliably to off season workouts.    Say 16 out of 24.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 04, 2015, 04:00:00 pm

That was freakin awesome wasn't it!  You remember when your dad let you stop when the heat index got above 103?................Me neither!

My dad let me stop loading when there were 100 bales on the trailer.

Okieback

Almost 3 and a half ton ?
That's what we did for pasture to barn on site
If it was further we might go ahead and but 4 ton or try 4 and half if that's all that was left.

Coltfan2005

and then you guys had to walk to school 3 miles uphill, both ways. :o

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 04, 2015, 10:45:19 pm

Next to hauling hay walking three miles uphill would be paradise.   

Because where I worked,   most of the hay fields were hilly anyway.   

Lineman

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 04, 2015, 10:45:19 pm
Nope. I drove the truck I bought with my own money.

macadoshis

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: macadoshis on August 05, 2015, 12:17:18 pm
I tried hauling hay once. Never did it again.
[/quote

Smart man.

Though to be fair that was the only paying job I had each year for several years. 

Coltfan2005

Happened to drive through Piggott last evening and saw their team out on the practice field. Looked to be about 27 of them.

macadoshis

I'd guess by looking that Lamar had around 30 or so. 

Proud Buckaroo

Longfellow

Hard to tell this early, but TR my stay over the 20 kid mark this year

Coltfan2005

August 07, 2015, 09:54:00 pm #33 Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:27:54 pm by Coltfan2005
I've been informed that Piggott has 31 now. And they can hit really hard! ;D

And Rivercrest has 34 as of now.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Paperman

3 and a half months fly by pretty quickly! It has been a wild ride!

redandgray

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas