• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm....

Started by Proud Buckaroo, June 16, 2015, 10:21:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Proud Buckaroo

Bored. The boards are too quiet.. Can it be August already?

Jimbo Morphis

SouthpawSensation

Can't be August, but I've got something to keep you busy in the meantime.
Ponder on the joke the AAA has done with the 3A football conference alignments for the next cycle.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on June 17, 2015, 08:23:20 am
Ponder on the joke the AAA has done with the 3A football conference alignments for the next cycle.
welcome to mcgehee's world since we came to 3a. 2 different schools 4 hrs away.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Oldman on June 17, 2015, 08:25:00 am
And your superintendent is on the AAA board of directors, who approved such a measure.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on June 17, 2015, 08:28:09 am
And your superintendent is on the AAA board of directors, who approved such a measure.

Too many sup's don't take the advice of their coaches when the votes come up.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on June 17, 2015, 08:28:09 am
i have served on a lot of different boards in my lifetime. none with that many people. not sure how they get anything done. travel in our conference got much better when we traded prescott for lake village. now if we could just get texas to take those cheating foukers and the nice people from genoa central.

snoopy22

Prescott won the Benton 7 on 7 yesterday.
1st Round Prescott 21 Maumelle 14
2nd Round Prescott 35 Searcy 28
Semis Prescott 28 Benton 21
Finals Prescott 18 Moore, Oklahoma 13

BigLion10

Impressive showing by Prescott they impressed me alot. Was glad they beat Moore after they put my team out in the semis lol

DeeGee

I had a great time watching all the teams play yesterday!  Was so exciting ball playing! 

snoopy22

Quote from: BigLion10 on June 17, 2015, 09:26:19 am
Impressive showing by Prescott they impressed me alot. Was glad they beat Moore after they put my team out in the semis lol
Was your team England?  Talk about impressive, very athletic.  Did you see the 35 to 35 tie with Prescott in pool play?  That was a wild game.

BigLion10

Yes my team was England and that was a highly entertaining game in pool play. Probably the best and most athletic game of the day

Proud Buckaroo

Schools have the oppurtunity to appeal the changes.

Bias

It has always amazed me how student athletes play several sports travel those long distances and still remain honor students.  People should be considering those factors when decisions are being made.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Bias on June 17, 2015, 09:25:19 pm
It has always amazed me how student athletes play several sports travel those long distances and still remain honor students.  People should be considering those factors when decisions are being made.

Call your school administration... it's on them to appeal instead of voting to approve their conference

snoopy22

There is no alternative to the long travel if you want to compete with schools your size.  You are talking about two or three long trips a year on a Friday night.  No grade will suffer from that because nobody studies on Friday nights.  Junior High isn't but one or two, because I know we split the conference for traveling purposes when we were in there. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: snoopy22 on June 18, 2015, 08:22:08 am
There is no alternative to the long travel if you want to compete with schools your size.  You are talking about two or three long trips a year on a Friday night.  No grade will suffer from that because nobody studies on Friday nights.  Junior High isn't but one or two, because I know we split the conference for traveling purposes when we were in there.
we don't make our players go to class so it's no big deal. tough on the band though.

SouthpawSensation

There has to be alternatives.
There's no reason for a trip from Greenland to Melbourne when there is 10 Class 3A schools closer to Greenland and 22 Class 3A schools (more than half of the Class 3A schools not in that conference) closer to Melbourne.
There is no reason for Fouke and Genoa Central to make trips to McGehee and Lake Village when the entire 3A-5 Conference is closer, as well as LR Episcopal and Mayflower.
This one is overdue for a do-over.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on June 18, 2015, 08:43:37 am
There's no reason for a trip from Greenland to Melbourne when there is 10 Class 3A schools closer to Greenland and 22 Class 3A schools (more than half of the Class 3A schools not in that conference) closer to Melbourne.
There is no reason for Fouke and Genoa Central to make trips to McGehee and Lake Village when the entire 3A-5 Conference is closer, as well as LR Episcopal and Mayflower.

Lean on their school administration to get them to appeal their conference placement... and give them the details to justify their case

Proud Buckaroo

All that is true in a way...

Lets say the conferences are geographically correct. Will every one be fully happy? No... There is going to be people complaining about how their school has to compete with a school who has 10-20+ more players on their team.

XFalkonz

Quote from: HF on June 18, 2015, 09:04:38 am

Lean on their school administration to get them to appeal their conference placement... and give them the details to justify their case
there will be several appeals this time

snoopy22

Quote from: Oldman on June 18, 2015, 08:31:13 am
we don't make our players go to class so it's no big deal. tough on the band though.
I know, same at Prescott😜

snoopy22

June 18, 2015, 12:13:05 pm #22 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:31:54 pm by snoopy22
I don't necessarily agree with the geographical complaints.  I'm not real familiar with the north that you speak of, but in the south there is not enough difference to matter.  Even if a couple of games wouldn't be as far it could mean that the average travel could be just as bad.  When you talk about McGehee to Prescott or Gurdon vs McGehee to Genoa or Fouke there is not enough difference to justify making a super conference and a horrible conference.  So I disagree and think that the southern part of the state is correct with the football classifications.  There is no perfect way to do anything so it's about as good as it can get in the south.

XFalkonz

I would rather drive I30 for two hours and 45 minutes to play a game as drive four hours of lower arkansas roads. The mileage may not be a major difference but the travel route is very different. There is a serious safety concern on traveling from Genoa or Fouke to Lake Village and visa versa

Clara Allen

U need to find smackover's 7/7 schedule.  Of course dead period starts Sunday for two weeks.  I guess there's always the all star game next Thursday.....
August can't get here fast enough

snoopy22

Sure you would rather, but that don't make it right to put two lower tier teams in a conference in trade for two upper tier teams.  That has to be considered when the travel is going to be bad either way.  You are talking about two trips one year and one trip the next year.  Also I don't understand the safety issue.  Travel is equally dangerous every time you get on the road.  Most accidents actually happen closer to homes from all the statistics I've read.

Proud Buckaroo

I have missed a lot of their 7 on 7s due to having to work. Smackover has been doing a 7 on 7 every Wednesday. I'm off for the one in Smackover. So. I'll finally get to see some action.

Hootie

Someone always gets the short end of the stick on travel and high school sports.. One of the advantages of living in Arkansas.

Proud Buckaroo

And that was the point I was trying to make.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: XFalkonz on June 18, 2015, 12:20:05 pm
I would rather drive I30 for two hours and 45 minutes to play a game as drive four hours of lower arkansas roads. The mileage may not be a major difference but the travel route is very different. There is a serious safety concern on traveling from Genoa or Fouke to Lake Village and visa versa
Try going from Greenland to Melbourne. There's no easy way to do it.
The one that takes the cake is Greenland to Clinton. To go from one to the other, one must drive through Lamar and Atkins — both members of the 3A-4. Whose lack of thinking was this?

FBfan79

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on June 18, 2015, 03:03:04 pm
The one that takes the cake is Greenland to Clinton. To go from one to the other, one must drive through Lamar and Atkins — both members of the 3A-4. Whose lack of thinking was this?

That's crazy

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on June 18, 2015, 03:03:04 pm

But to put clinton in a conference other than the one with Marshall and mountain view isn't really an option... Marshall is literally minutes up the road, and mountain view isn't that bad of a drive distance wise either...

And what's the difference in distance from say little rock Episcopal tonlake village as opposed to fouke to lake village?

People want to pick and choose these outlier teams, but goodness, if the schools themselves aren't willing to object then quit your crying.... fouke has been in that conference basically since the realignment of classes... and hasn't appealed it yet. The folks the Should be mad at is a) their school board they voted in...b) the athletic director that the school board and administration put in charge of athletics for not appealing and bringing a factual case to the table.... I might be wrong but very few appeals actually get denied that make sense...

SouthpawSensation

June 18, 2015, 05:27:06 pm #32 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:35:23 pm by SouthpawSensation
Glad you asked, because this just added extra ammo to my argument:
Little Rock Episcopal to Lake Village — 130 miles
Fouke to Lake Village — 178 miles
Fouke to McGehee — 184 miles (the longest such trip in 3A)
LR Episcopal to McGehee — 103 miles
Others closer to Lake Village and McGehee include Barton, Marianna, Bismarck, Benton Harmony Grove, Glen Rose and Mayflower.
+++++
Let's just call it like it is. All the AAA did was find out which schools moved up, which schools moved down, take the previous conference alignments, move around a few pieces and called it a day. It's become way too lazy to sit down and crunch the numbers.
And I spoke to a school administrator about these situations earlier this week. The AAA listens to who it wants to and when it wants to listen. And don't challenge them or they get defensive about it and say you're just trying to stir up trouble.

HorseFeathers

Sounds like the school admin used a cop out/pass the buck excuse to me.... it really does. If westside, dermott, magazine, Southside bee branch, cotter, dollarway/Helena all challenged their conference assignments and won....thats just the last cycle..

XFalkonz

Quote from: HF on June 18, 2015, 05:52:14 pm
Sounds like the school admin used a cop out/pass the buck excuse to me.... it really does. If westside, dermott, magazine, Southside bee branch, cotter, dollarway/Helena all challenged their conference assignments and won....thats just the last cycle..
we shall see if it is going to work this year or not...the appea is being readied.

Proud Buckaroo

Why is Genoa appealing to move conferences? They have been in this one since they established football.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 21, 2015, 09:34:29 am
Why is Genoa appealing to move conferences? They have been in this one since they established football.

They are tired of ole hf telling them. To quit crying and do something about it....

Quote from: XFalkonz on June 21, 2015, 09:17:34 am
Quote from: HF on June 18, 2015, 05:52:14 pm
we shall see if it is going to work this year or not...the appea is being readied.

Best of luck to you on your appeal. Hopefully the trips from Texas to Mississippi become a thing of the past in th e lower classes

XFalkonz

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 21, 2015, 09:34:29 am
the conference has spread out way too much since we started in it 5 years ago. Taking Prescott, Rison, Lafayette County and now Camden Harmony Grove out has made it difficult on the travel. The previous conference wasn't as bad with only Drew Central as the long drive across LA...now it is getting ridiculous going to the Mississippi border. We have to go there twice this year. Travel is expensive.

Proud Buckaroo

So.. How did the appeal go?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas