• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Take A Knee. Yes or No?

Started by blueberryrockstar, November 24, 2013, 11:43:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

blueberryrockstar

I have seen instances where teams do take a knee for an injured player, and I've seen instances where they don't take a knee for an injured player. I have felt disrespected in the past when an opponent did not take a knee while we had a moderately serious injury(dislocated knee) on the field, but after I did some research I somewhat understand it now.

I just researched why people take a knee in football and why they don't and such and I found some interesting information.
1. Some teams do not take a knee so they remain fresh and it is said that it prevents cramps by keeping the muscles moving.
2. Taking a knee supposedly originates from ancient times when a warrior was wounded or died, the rest of the warriors would take a knee to show respect. Some also believe that it all starts in little leagues to instill character in children to respect your opponent even if they are playing against you.
3. Taking a knee supposedly is a time to respect the fallen player, while in a prayer position(on your knees) to pray to your God(whomever it may be to you) for recovery of the injured player.
4. It gives your team rest while remaining away from the injured player so that the trainers can give the player the correct attention without distractions.
5. Most programs do not have a rule set in place for such events, it just happens naturally.

At Charleston, if there is an injured player the team takes a knee, gets some water, communicates with coaches, and(if serious) has a team prayer for the player. From what I've seen the fans, cheerleaders, and such all remained seated quietly and applaud as the injured player gets up, carried off the field, or is taken by ambulance. Sometimes I wish that if the injury is serious that there would be a prayer over the speakers for the player. But I can pray to myself to try and respect everyone's views.

So what does your school do? Any set rules?

SuperTurfMonkey

Always respect and take a knee...its the only policy that makes sense.

2010Tigerhaz-been

What if your school has it as a rule and a team member practices the Muslim faith? Does he have to throw down a carpet and start praising Allah? I'm not poking fun at the tradition of it. And I'm all for respecting each other. But to even make this an issue is just stupid.

SuperTurfMonkey

I just feel you should respect others....just saying.

2010Tigerhaz-been

Quote from: SuperTurfMonkey on November 24, 2013, 11:55:06 pm
I just feel you should respect others....just saying.

Yes, you should. But making this a big thing to argue about is just pointless. People take knees to show respect, but not taking a knee doesn't automatically mean don't have any respect. Just like taking a knee doesn't automatically mean you respect that person. Some kids do it just because the rest of the team does. You don't know what they are thinking though. All I'm saying is that it's not as black and white as people try to make it out to be.

blueberryrockstar

I'm just curious as to each school's opinions and such. There are a lot of coaches who say don't take a knee because if it is in cold weather it could cause an injury to his player by not staying loose. These coaches don't mean disrespect, but they don't want their player injured as well. And this is for discussion, not to bash any teams for any past incidents. Also this isn't about religion. So to prevent any unnecessary debates or discussions lets just use logic and simple conversations please.

SuperTurfMonkey

I agree, but it is still a gesture of respect to take a knee.

blueberryrockstar

And it isn't as black or white as I thought it would be, which is exactly why I would like to hear other opinions without someone automatically trying to judge my motive behind such a conversation. ;)

DeeGee

STM I am in agreement with you. I believe they should show respect and take a knee. It's not about religion, it's about the respect for a fallen football player. 100% agree with taking a knee.

2010Tigerhaz-been

Quote from: blueberryrockstar on November 25, 2013, 12:03:52 am
And it isn't as black or white as I thought it would be, which is exactly why I would like to hear other opinions without someone automatically trying to judge my motive behind such a conversation. ;)

That wasn't really directed at you. STM and a GR poster have been arguing about this though on a different thread. It was more of a general statement than a question of your intentions.

SuperTurfMonkey

No problem,  I just stated my view.

blueberryrockstar

Well if I was a coach, I really don't know what I would do. On one hand it does how respect to take a knee and remain quiet so the trainers cab do their jobs. However I also realize that it is the coach's job to try to prevent any injuries if possible, which keeping your player warm and loose could help prevent pulling a muscle. I would probably have them take a knee and stretch while they are setting still and get them rehydrated.

SuperTurfMonkey

Quote from: DeeGoldie on November 25, 2013, 12:05:23 am
STM I am in agreement with you. I believe they should show respect and take a knee. It's not about religion, it's about the respect for a fallen football player. 100% agree with taking a knee.
Glad you feel that way, because your coaches don't.

DeeGee

I can't help what the coach thinks. My opinion is these boys need to show respect. So I agree with you 100% on this.

SuperTurfMonkey

Like I said, glad you feel that way.

Xmulerider

Bearkatz51

Melbourne has always handled this situation exactly like you say Charlston does....show respect, and remember it is a game.

Runfastturnleft

Seen a lot of college games where they don't kneel till they know it's a serious injury..just saying.

Apparently this whole post is about the especially upset people feel over GR and their decision  not to "take a knee"  on injuries.   I have watched a lot of GR games and let me clarify a few things.

1.  GR has a habit of not taking a knee when players are "hurt".   This includes muscle cramps,  loss of wind,  and generally players walk off on their own power soon after the coaching staff arrives to their aid.

2.  GR does take knee in the case of injuries.   A pair of broken legs at Arkansas Baptist and Poyen come to mind.   Oh there is that time where the coaches from GR helped stablize a head injury in a Jr high game as well.   They aren't the cold hearted people you make them out to be. 

3.  The incident at Charleston that seems to be the sticking point was a knee injury that happened close to the sideline if I recall.   By the time it was realized that it may be serious,  the player was already off the field. 

4.  The incident in question also came after Charleston  knocked out three running backs the week before and the  Ark Democrat posted an article about how physical they were and how the bragged about knocking out their opponents.   This was also after everyone in Arkansas said GR could score more than 7 on the Charleston D.   And when GR took the large lead that year it turned into a cheap shot fest by some members of Charleston team.   

Not throwing any players or young men under the bus because it's a physical game.   Young men lose control of their emotions out their way sometimes.   Sometimes you want to blame the coach for that.   Sometimes you want to blame the kid.  But the fact remains that it happens out there.   

Now as far as taking the knee... To each their own.  You call it disrespect for kids that are "hurt".   I believe it should be reserved for those who are "injured"

johnharrison

99% of the time when their is a player down its ankle, a knee, not a life threatening heart or head injury.  Watch the game films, probably half the time the player goes back into the game. 

Heck last Thanksgiving my brother cut his hand so bad he ruined the turkey by getting blood on it and had to spend 3 hours in the ER.  Not one of the 30 some odd folks took a knee.  Lack of respect?  I don't think so.

Once I was at a game at War Memorial.  About 50 feet away an old lady had a real problem, EMTs and everybody was working on her.  I thnk the 300 people around her were concerned, but not one took a knee.

I was Bill Clinton once, I think there might have been 5000 people there who respected him (plus the others) and not one took a knee.

What would be disrepectful would be taunting the down player, falling to the ground and acting injured, doing TD dances and mugging to the crowd on either side.

As long as you aren't doing that, and you walk around slowly, drink water, confer quietly with teams members or even trainers (it might have been your knee that caught him on the shin) you are OK.

For me, it was a pure matter of wanting to be loose to play.  I'd rather have to jog a lap of the field than kneel for 90 seconds.

Personally, I think the "take a knee" derived from the military as a form of "take 5", just a signal to stay close and rest.  I don't think that's how you show respect.

SuperTurfMonkey

It has been adopted in almost every sport now days as a way to show respect.   By not doing it is disrespectful in my opinion. 

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: SuperTurfMonkey on November 25, 2013, 08:04:29 am
It has been adopted in almost every sport now days as a way to show respect.   By not doing it is disrespectful in my opinion.

I sure hope you send a letter to the NCAA about players not taking a knee on TV...

OLDSCHOOL82

Always take a knee.  If cramping becomes an issue due to the length of the injury/down time then by all means the team can move around. 

BeaversFan1969

We need a like button on here so we can like certain comments. I do agree with fast and johnharrison. It isnt about disrespect. You can show respect with out kneeling just like they said. My son was one of the players on the 07 team that was supposely disrespectful. I can tell you that they were not in any way disrespectful. There were silent prayers happening on the glen rose side for the injuried player. In these days and times alot of people get offended real easy and complain about things that offend them and that makes things change for example prayer in school offended non believers so now it is not allowed in school today. If something offends you just say a prayer that things will be better and not grip about it. Everyone is different and it would not be an interesting world if we were all the same.

SuperTurfMonkey

Quote from: Runfastturnleft on November 25, 2013, 08:06:58 am

I sure hope you send a letter to the NCAA about players not taking a knee on TV...
like I said,  it's just my opinion on the issue.  Plus this is not college we are talking about.

KOJACK

November 25, 2013, 08:21:49 am #24 Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:37:26 am by KOJACK
Quote from: SuperTurfMonkey on November 25, 2013, 08:19:49 am

like I said,  it's just my opinion on the issue.  Plus this is not college we are talking about.
my bad

beaverfan24

Both my boys played for glen rose. They as a team don't take a knee for minor injuries such as cramps, wind knocked out of, hit in family jewels. If you cramp that is a lack of conditioning. The other two happen and you will be ok just take a few mins. Gr coaches go out to check on the injured player even if they are on opposing team. If it is serious ie broken bone acl head or neck injury they motion to the team to take a knee. If a player goes down due to cramping past week three it's a lack of conditioning. That is either the coaches fault or the players for lack of effort during training or poor diet choices. Gr's announcer says a prayer over the loud speaker if it is a serious injury

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: KOJACK on November 25, 2013, 08:21:49 am

Once the BcS is taken out of the equation for the national championship you will see college teams taking a knee.

Be serious..   Wow

KOJACK

Quote from: Runfastturnleft on November 25, 2013, 08:26:58 am
Quote from: KOJACK on November 25, 2013, 08:21:49 am

my bad

Be serious..   Wow
ok

Longfellow

When you compete against someone, you are putting all your effort into beating them and they are doing the same. You must respect the fact that you aren't the only one who has made sacrifices to get to the point you're at in playing the game, and when a fellow competitor is injured, you should always respect them regardless of your feelings toward them. In turn, you should expect to have the same respect extended unto you. When a player is carried from the field, that school's parents, students, faculty staff, and all others attending the game should applaud that player for their effort and their sacrifices for the team. No player goes into a football game expecting to get injured, but it will always happen. All in attendance should show the injured player respect.

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: Longfellow on November 25, 2013, 08:44:10 am
When you compete against someone, you are putting all your effort into beating them and they are doing the same. You must respect the fact that you aren't the only one who has made sacrifices to get to the point you're at in playing the game, and when a fellow competitor is injured, you should always respect them regardless of your feelings toward them. In turn, you should expect to have the same respect extended unto you. When a player is carried from the field, that school's parents, students, faculty staff, and all others attending the game should applaud that player for their effort and their sacrifices for the team. No player goes into a football game expecting to get injured, but it will always happen. All in attendance should show the injured player respect.

Agreed.   So if choose not to take a knee but I go over and give you a head tap and tell you get better on the field am I less respectful because I didn't take a knee?

ScrapperMan

Take a knee to run the clock out on the last possession, thats it. Any other time isn't showing respect, pity maybe but not respect. And who wants that on the football field?

Hogwild#9

Personally, I don't believe in taking knees. You show respect by being quiet or just saying a little prayer in your head.

beaverfan24

I think the bible says no head shall bow exept to praise The Lord. Unless all the kids that take a knee are praying then they aren't showing respect to the injured player but praying to God he is ok.

WPWells

What if the players would like to pray and it is their tradition in their church to show the utmost reverence by getting down on a knee (in a submissive position) to pray to their God, but a coach won't let them because he's more worried about the player cramping than he is showing reverence

True Fan

Started in peewee as a way to keep the kids out of the way so the grownups could check on the "injured" warrior. Overused today. Appropriate when there is a real concern for safety. A travesty when a kid is acting hurt because he botched a play.

Just my opinion.

Pastureboy21

At the ECS Barton game the long snapper was hurt on an extra point, not joking. The player who hit him while his head was down did not take a knee. He was in the middle of the field standing up and joking with another team mate. From ECS's view, it was very disrespectful, but I think we got the last laugh.

blueberryrockstar

Quote from: Runfastturnleft on November 25, 2013, 06:58:43 am
Seen a lot of college games where they don't kneel till they know it's a serious injury..just saying.

Apparently this whole post is about the especially upset people feel over GR and their decision  not to "take a knee"  on injuries.   I have watched a lot of GR games and let me clarify a few things.

1.  GR has a habit of not taking a knee when players are "hurt".   This includes muscle cramps,  loss of wind,  and generally players walk off on their own power soon after the coaching staff arrives to their aid.

2.  GR does take knee in the case of injuries.   A pair of broken legs at Arkansas Baptist and Poyen come to mind.   Oh there is that time where the coaches from GR helped stablize a head injury in a Jr high game as well.   They aren't the cold hearted people you make them out to be. 

3.  The incident at Charleston that seems to be the sticking point was a knee injury that happened close to the sideline if I recall.   By the time it was realized that it may be serious,  the player was already off the field. 

4.  The incident in question also came after Charleston  knocked out three running backs the week before and the  Ark Democrat posted an article about how physical they were and how the bragged about knocking out their opponents.   This was also after everyone in Arkansas said GR could score more than 7 on the Charleston D.   And when GR took the large lead that year it turned into a cheap shot fest by some members of Charleston team.   

Not throwing any players or young men under the bus because it's a physical game.   Young men lose control of their emotions out their way sometimes.   Sometimes you want to blame the coach for that.   Sometimes you want to blame the kid.  But the fact remains that it happens out there.   

Now as far as taking the knee... To each their own.  You call it disrespect for kids that are "hurt".   I believe it should be reserved for those who are "injured"

As I said in a previous comment, this is NOT about any particular game. Just for a discussion about what people believe. Now that I look at the reasoning behind not taking a knee vs taking a knee, I completely understand them both and why a coach would do one or the other.

johnharrison

Quote from: True Fan on November 25, 2013, 10:01:01 am
Started in peewee as a way to keep the kids out of the way so the grownups could check on the "injured" warrior. Overused today. Appropriate when there is a real concern for safety. A travesty when a kid is acting hurt because he botched a play.

Just my opinion.

+1

johnharrison

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 25, 2013, 09:56:01 am
What if the players would like to pray and it is their tradition in their church to show the utmost reverence by getting down on a knee (in a submissive position) to pray to their God, but a coach won't let them because he's more worried about the player cramping than he is showing reverence

1) If one religion is allowed to, all are...and their practices may NOT resemble those of conservative protestant and evangelical churches. 
2) Fine to pray at the field, just not sure non athletic activites should be encouraged on the field of play, even during time out.  No frisbee toss, photos with Grandpa, or paint ball wars.
3) If a coach doesn't have problem with it, I could care less if the entire defense wants to get in a prayer circle every time the offense is on the field.  I think it would look a little attention seeking, but that's not my role to judge.

I like the comment about starting to make sure everyone stays out of the way while the staff looks at the player.  Probably is correct.

I'd like seeing taking a knee mandatory, then watching a team fake and injury on every play to force their opponents to do calisthenics.

blueberryrockstar

Well, calisthenics is one way to wear a team out. Lol.

johnharrison

November 25, 2013, 11:23:33 am #40 Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:29:20 pm by johnharrison
Growing up I was taught that it was disrespectful for a man to wear a hat during the National Anthem, during a prayer, or inside.  (Well that third one is gone for sure)

At the start of the game Friday it was COLD AND RAINY.  I thought about takihng my hat off, but I looked around and didn't see a single bare headed individual.

Does that mean anyone disrepected God or our troops overseas?  No! It meant we had decided for our own comfort (don't start with safety crap) to leave our hats on.

You can be respectful with a hat on (or not taking a knee)
You can be disrepectful as heck with your hat in your hand (or on a knee)

One should be more concerned about what is in one's heart more than how others may perceive one's actions.

blueberryrockstar

BeaversFan1969

CoachKk

SuperTurfMonkey

November 25, 2013, 03:26:53 pm #44 Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:30:40 pm by SuperTurfMonkey
Quote from: johnharrison on November 25, 2013, 11:23:33 am
Growing up I was taught that it was disrespectful for a man to wear a hat during the National Anthem, during a prayer, or inside.  (Well that third one is gone for sure)

At the start of the game Friday it was COLD AND RAINY.  I thought about takihng my hat off, but I looked around and didn't see a single bare headed individual.

Does that mean anyone disrepected God or our troops overseas?  No! It meant we had decided for our own comfort (don't start with safety crap) to leave our hats on.

One should be more concerned about what is in one's heart more than how others may perceive one's actions.
Yes if you didn't take your hats off then it is disrespect to what the flag stands for, so by not doing it offends me every time I see it happen.  That is worse than not taking a knee anytime.

OLDSCHOOL82

Do you always do what the crowd does?  IMO, very disrespectful on many levels.

johnharrison

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 25, 2013, 03:37:30 pm

Do you always do what the crowd does?  IMO, very disrespectful on many levels.

Well actually I had equipment in both my hands that couldn't get wet and I sure wasn't going to put it on the turf in the rain.  I made the choice that was going to work for me.  Looking around I noticed the officials, the players, the priest, the teachers, the fans and the police,  This includes every person I know had military service.  The one fold I was with out hats were a few under tents, with umbrellas or in the press box.  My decision was made by me, for me.  I was just interested in the norm.

One can't listen to a prayer with your hat on?  I'm old enough to remember when women were sinners if they prayed without one.

As far the prayer, same idea.  You stop talking, cross yourself, perhaps bow your head, ask to have an open heart and contemplete the words being said.  I'd be real surprised it God (not too sure about you and what's his name) says, "Uh Uh UH, you didn't take off your hat"

Seriously, if you think someone who turns, faces the flag during the anthem, is silent or maybe even sings the words is disrespectful simply for failing to remove a hat during a gusty rainy cold evening then you are crazy, far far far more concerned about display than substance.

SuperTurfMonkey

ATU

Well I was at the 07 game and i no the CHS fans got mad when GR didn't take a knee on a hurt player but your wrong on cheat shots and bragging about putting players out get your facts right.

Glen rose sprit

You should take a knee only if the meat wagon comes out.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas