• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JC Dragon Basketball

Started by bleudog, January 06, 2009, 07:27:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

Congratulations to the Norphlet girls and the JC boys on their 2012 Dual State titles.

CLICK HERE

bleudog

Understand Friday's JC-PC game should decide the #2 and #3 seeds.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

bleudog

Quote from: bleudog on February 09, 2012, 09:39:43 pm
Understand Friday's JC-PC game will go a long way on deciding the #2 and #3 seeds.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

bleudog

EDNT first round regional pregame article:  CLICK HERE

Pick_DA_EAGLES

is james anderson playin for the spurs?

bleudog

May 15, 2012, 09:40:56 pm #155 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:48:45 pm by bleudog

Pick_DA_EAGLES

bleudog

bleudog

bleudog

01/11/13

JC          67
Strong    45

CLICK HERE

dragon

bleudog

January 19, 2013, 09:12:47 am #161 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:15:13 am by bleudog
01/18/13

PC  37
JC   56

CLICK HERE

bleudog

January 19, 2013, 09:19:43 am #162 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:26:17 am by bleudog
2013 Dual State

EDNT article:  CLICK HERE 

Brackets:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

Dual State first round results:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

01/22/13

JC              76
Norphlet     61

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

bleudog

Last night's Dual State games (included a JC-Norphlet rematch):  CLICK HERE

bleudog

January 27, 2013, 11:01:47 am #166 Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:04:40 am by bleudog
Dual State finals: CLICK HERE   &  CLICK HERE

Dual State semi-finals:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

From the 01/31/13 EDNT:

Junction City upends Bearden 76-68     
BEARDEN - Junction City used a strong second-half effort to stay perfect in the 7-2A East, as the Dragons knocked off Bearden 76-68 on Wednesday.
    The Dragons (14-4, 10-0), playing their seventh game in nine days, trailed 17-13 after the opening period before tying the game at 28-all at halftime.
    The second half was a completely different story, as the Dragons outscored the Bears 24-13 in the third period to take an 11-point lead into the final period before winning by the final margin. Dorian Evans had 22 points, while Shaquille Hunter chipped in with 15 points and Jarkell Brown finished with 12 points for Junction City.
    Quentin Wilson had 17 points for Bearden.

bleudog

Trying to wrap up a perfect regular conference season:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

bleudog

JC.  25
PC.  29

At the half

bleudog

JC.  39
PC.  37

End of three

bleudog

Pick_DA_EAGLES

James anderson got some love on sportscenter for being part of the rockets record tying 23 made 3's. Congrats!

Also j.a.'s teammate patrick beverly (former hog) was in on it too.

bleudog

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on February 06, 2013, 12:25:20 am
James anderson got some love on sportscenter for being part of the rockets record tying 23 made 3's. Congrats!

Also j.a.'s teammate patrick beverly (former hog) was in on it too.

Saw in the box score JA got over 20 minutes. ;D

bleudog

bleudog

Congratulations to the Dragons for winning the regular season title.

CLICK HERE

bleudog

bleudog

leedog95

How and the heck do you give a 20-point 2nd half lead. Those kids looked lost out there when the pressure was on in the EPC game. They looked like they panicked even the coach looked panicked. JC was by far the most talented team in 2A this year... The play calling was pretty bad at the end...

bdubyab60

JC is very talented, but not by far above everybody. They are by far the most athletic team out there. Bell is an absolute monster, a double double everytime he walks on the floor. Evans is a scoring machine, quick as a cat. EVeryone else played their rolls and JC coul dhave used one of those guys stepping up and making a shot.

JC played great ball in the first half. Dominated the boards and was out and running, forced some turnovers and EPC gave them some to. JC took advantage and was rolling. The 3 by Monk at the buzzer was huge. JC had just gotten a basket and would have had all the momentum going in to half if not for that.

I thought the game was over when they went back up 17 after EPC made a little run. After that timeout though JC played tight. They really didnt stall but looked torn between taking open shots or running the clock. you go to have confidence in what your doing. EPC's pressure and not really winning the boards but at least battling with them changed the game.

JC never quit though and the back and fourth at the end made for great basketball. Both teams making big plays and big shots down the stretch. I thought Bells block on Monk was one of the best sequences Ive seen at any level. It was a fun game to watch and my voice is still recovering.

bdubyab60

Quote from: leedog95 on March 04, 2013, 12:32:37 am
How and the heck do you give a 20-point 2nd half lead. Those kids looked lost out there when the pressure was on in the EPC game. They looked like they panicked even the coach looked panicked. JC was by far the most talented team in 2A this year... The play calling was pretty bad at the end...

brown2010

Nemesis

EPC never lost composure in the 2nd half and that may have been a contributing factor to JC's collapse.  Think they expected EPC to fold and it didn't happen.  JC played an excellent game.  Their speed and athleticism was a surprise.  They hit some great shots and their inside game was dominating.  EPC came out in the 2nd half and they seemed to adjust to the quickness and JC's defensive presence in the lane.  JC went into panic mode the final 5 minutes.

leedog95

No doubt EPC played a lot better in the 2nd half and never gave up. I shouldn't have said JC was the best team in 2A because if that was true they would be playing Saturday instead of setting home. But they are without a doubt the most talented and athletic team in 2A and probably 3A and 4A as well. They played 10 players easily. And I think that could have hurt them to. Win you trying to win you have to play your best five players. I seen the Bell kid setting on the bench a lot in the 4Qtr. But I'm not the coach so it's not my call.  Man that kid could be a beast if used right....

bdubyab60

JC didn't sub near as much as they did against Poyen. I know they are very athletic but I don't know if they were used to playing that many minutes. And just because you play 10 players lee doesn't mean you have more talent.

I thought EPC,s starting 5 were just as good as JC's maybe not as athletic at some positions but just as good of basketball players. I don't question their coaching either they did what they have done all year. They didnt try and stall away an entire quarter but took some bad shots. EPC was able to rebound better in the second half and forced turnovers.

I believe in the fourth JC started playing not to lose. But EPC had something to do with that. Coach Hill said during the half, we are the 2 time champs and I be dang if we go out without a fight.

bleudog

March 05, 2013, 07:17:09 am #186 Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:17:04 pm by bleudog
Quote from: leedog95 on March 05, 2013, 12:42:10 am
No doubt EPC played a lot better in the 2nd half and never gave up. I shouldn't have said JC was the best team in 2A because if that was true they would be playing Saturday instead of setting home. But they are without a doubt the most talented and athletic team in 2A and probably 3A and 4A as well. They played 10 players easily. And I think that could have hurt them to. Win you trying to win you have to play your best five players. I seen the Bell kid setting on the bench a lot in the 4Qtr. But I'm not the coach so it's not my call.  Man that kid could be a beast if used right....

Best five or dance with who brung ya?  When you come up short, it's durned if you do, durned if you don't.

CLICK HERE

The Dragons gave it a good shot.  Semi finals this year; finals last year.  Memory fails me on the years in between '12 and '07 (except one of those teams had to overcome a coach quitting in mid season), but there was a state championship in '07.

Congratulations to the Dragons and Coach Hutcheson on a great season.

+1s to the folks who posted the sportsmanship comments about the Dragons.  Good to see those rather than what often appears on FF about some teams and their fans.

bdubyab60

Bleu you guys got a group of kids and fans to be absolutely proud of. Its rare these days. a lot of us could learn from the way JC does things.

bbfan89

I can assure you that every EPC fan skipped more than a few heartbeats several times duuring Saturday's contest. JC is the real deal. This could have been a state final in about any year in 2A. There are teams that we could be victorious over and not think a thing about it, but JC is not on that list. For as good as our guys felt you can be sure that it was hard for the JC players to take. I have the utmost respect for them and the way the carried themselves. Just about anybody who is any good will talk a little stuff on the court, but it is sure nice to watch quality players compete and exhibit great sportsmanship. Maybe the schedule makers can get these two together again somewhere like Hoopfest in December, it could onlly make both better.

bleudog

bleudog

Congratulations to young Mr. Bell:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

A few Dragons on the EDNT All-Defense team:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

Bell nominated for EDNT Basketball Player of the Year:

CLICK HERE

bleudog

Hunter placed on the EDNT second team:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

Evans nominated for EDNT Basketball Player of the Year:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

Congratulations to the Dragon representaives on the Golden Triangle (tri-county) team:

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

bleudog

Evans takes county basketball award: CLICK HERE

bleudog

bbfan89

Is Junction City losing students to a Louisiana school?  And if so, could you explain why?  Is the good basketball player Bell one of those kids?

bleudog

May 25, 2013, 02:52:43 pm #199 Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:40:08 pm by bleudog
Quote from: bbfan89 on May 25, 2013, 02:41:38 pm
Is Junction City losing students to a Louisiana school?  And if so, could you explain why?  Is the good basketball player Bell one of those kids?

Quote from: rayzorbackfan on May 05, 2013, 11:09:16 pm
Does anyone know how many athletes will be  affected if the La. kids can no longer cross State line ave and play at JC. I saw a post that the La district was losing 150,000 a year do to kids going to JC. Something like 105 kids K-12, would these kid have to travel far to attend a school in La. Just curious I've passed through JC a couple of times on the way to Ruston and the town is kind of like Texarkana with the city straddling the state line.

Quote from: bleudog on May 06, 2013, 10:36:37 pmNot sure about the athlete total.  The 105 can fluctuate and isn't evenly distributed across the 13 classes.  My guess would be 10% to 20% on any given team.  With the success JC's teams have experienced over recent years, I'd guess athletic participation rates school-wide are higher than an Arkansas state average.

A point of clarification though, Claiborne killed the agreement as of June 30, 2013 but they exempted the 2012-2013 juniors.  Those 9 or 10 kids will be allowed to return next year for their senior year.  Here's a link to the Claiborne board minutes page (February 7):  CLICK HERE

Not sure about the $150,000.  That amount was mentioned in an article as the estimated amount JC would be out of pocket to hire minimum core teachers and staff to partially replace Claiborne personnel Claiborne would be pulling back. CLICK HERE

For those who don't know, historically a per student dollar amount and a Ward 9 student count were agreed upon then Claiborne provided teachers and staff equal to that total rather than cash. Claiborne will be providing cash to JC for next year's Ward 9 seniors. 

JC doesn't receive Arkansas money for the Ward 9 kids.  Some of the impacted families will be in an economic postion to legally relocate within Arkansas by buying property or becoming renters. Others won't be in that position. Those numbers are anybody's guess at this point. The JC (Arkansas) City Council placed a moratorium on mobile homes within the city limits to have some control over a potential influx of substandard trailers.  Those who are able to legally relocate to Arkansas will be able to be included in JC's Arkansas funding numbers as at that point they would be Arkansas residents.  That money will take a year or more to show up though. 

I saw a reference in the EDNT that Claiborne is in the red somewhere around $1,500,000.  The agreement with JC has little or nothing do with that shortfall.  From state and local sources, Claiborne receives $9,000 to $9,500 per student in what's called MFP.  That's one of the highest MFPs in Louisiana.  JC has deemed a per student amount equal or close to the Arkansas amount as fair.  That amount is currently about $6,300.  Hard for Claiborne to lose money on that math.  I see the agreement termination as more of a PR reaction.  Claiborne did recently close a school in Athens.  I could see where it would be hard to explain to voters and staff about sending personnel out of state while at the same time closing schools and exercising a RIF, even if those out of state personnel assignments make economic sense.

As far as school location, Junction City and Summerfield schools are 10-12 miles apart.  Of the Ward 9 kids who attend JC, about half of them live within a mile of the JC school.  All of them live within 5 miles of the JC school.  There literally would be kids who live 10 blocks or less from the JC school who could be going 10 miles or more to the Summerfield school.

I say 'could' because there is something in the works that could preserve community continuity by continuing the Claiborne agreement with another school.  In addition to financial difficulty, Claiborne is considered by Louisiana as an academically failing district.  Under recent policy changes, Louisiana allows Claiborne students to transfer to a non-failing Louisiana district with the Claiborne money following them.  JC has provided a letter of support to the Delhi Charter School to be their educational provider of record for the 9th Ward kids who transfer to the Delhi school.  (At least Delhi sees the beneficial math in the earlier paragraph.)  The Delhi proposal should be on the BESE agenda for their June meeting.  Here's a link to the JC board action:   CLICK HERE

How the whole situation works out is still in the air.  There is some history in that a similar thing happened back in the mid-90's with the Union Parish kids.  Although the charter school option wasn't a possibility at that time.  Mostly I just hate it for the uncertainty it puts on the families in Ward 9 and on the Claiborne staff assigned to JC who have spent many years working with all JC Dragon kids.

Sorry about the long post, but I appreciate your interest and the way you asked your questions.

The Claiborne agreement had been in place for somewhere between 85 and 100 years.

Not sure where young Mr. Bell calls home.  There are about 5 Arkansas kids for every Ward 9 kid walking the hall though.  They all look like Dragons to me.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas