• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March Madness

Started by 501Arkansas, March 18, 2019, 12:58:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

501Arkansas

What are your bracket looking like? Who you have winning this year and who will be heading home early? Let's talk some college basketball!!!

beach bum

I'm not going to make any predictions cause this thing could go so many ways for sure. But just some overall thoughts below on each region and some big games or potential matchups....

The East region does not look as ripe for upsets... Duke and Michigan State are definitely favored there to meet in the Elite 8. Michigan State would give them trouble with their rugged Big Ten style. Plus, Virginia Tech will have to beat Miss State first to even reach the sweet 16 but that would be a bad draw for Duke. Yes Duke would be favored over Va Tech, but I'd hate to see a fellow conference foe who is more comfortable against you. If I am Duke I'd be rooting for Miss State and not Va Tech. Duke is obviously favored in the region, but matchups will make it tougher than people think.

The West is where it could get wild.... That's where the committee stuck all the good mid majors at. Saint Mary's showed us Gonzaga is not unstoppable and they are the 1 seed. Murray State, Nevada, and Buffalo are loaded mid majors in this region. This is the region good luck anyone picking this one out right through all the games.

The South in my opinion is the toughest region. They stuck all the grind it out, slowed paced defensive teams here. And how bad does the committee hate Tennessee? You make them play possibly a 7 seed in Cincinnati who has 28 wins and you make them play in Columbus, Ohio right up the interstate from Cincy to make it practically a home game for the lower seeded Bearcats? If I am Tennessee I'd be cheering my butt of for Iowa to beat Cincy. Throw in Wisconsin, Kansas State, and Purdue who grind it out with Virginia as the one seed this is half court basketball at its purest. Plus, Villanova is a 6 seed with history nobody will want to face. Again, this is another bracket like the West that could go so many directions.

The Midwest bracket annoys me a bit.... How much does this committee bow down to Kentucky? They in my opinion tried to give them the easiest path to the Elite 8 for any 1 or 2 seed. Plus, North Carolina should be smoothly through. This in my opinion is the weakest bracket. My crazy upset is I have New Mexico State over Auburn even after Auburn just blitz their way to an SEC tourney crown. The game is out in Salt Lake City at altitude. NM State is used to that and Auburn is not and likes to run and gun. Throw in Auburn can shoot themselves out of games sometimes just like they can light it up as easily. I'll take my upset guess will happen with a cold and gassed Auburn in this.

Longfellow

I like Cincy getting to the Sweet Sixteen

CoolBreeze

Quote from: beach bum on March 19, 2019, 01:23:31 pm
I'm not going to make any predictions cause this thing could go so many ways for sure. But just some overall thoughts below on each region and some big games or potential matchups....

The East region does not look as ripe for upsets... Duke and Michigan State are definitely favored there to meet in the Elite 8. Michigan State would give them trouble with their rugged Big Ten style. Plus, Virginia Tech will have to beat Miss State first to even reach the sweet 16 but that would be a bad draw for Duke. Yes Duke would be favored over Va Tech, but I'd hate to see a fellow conference foe who is more comfortable against you. If I am Duke I'd be rooting for Miss State and not Va Tech. Duke is obviously favored in the region, but matchups will make it tougher than people think.

The West is where it could get wild.... That's where the committee stuck all the good mid majors at. Saint Mary's showed us Gonzaga is not unstoppable and they are the 1 seed. Murray State, Nevada, and Buffalo are loaded mid majors in this region. This is the region good luck anyone picking this one out right through all the games.

The South in my opinion is the toughest region. They stuck all the grind it out, slowed paced defensive teams here. And how bad does the committee hate Tennessee? You make them play possibly a 7 seed in Cincinnati who has 28 wins and you make them play in Columbus, Ohio right up the interstate from Cincy to make it practically a home game for the lower seeded Bearcats? If I am Tennessee I'd be cheering my butt of for Iowa to beat Cincy. Throw in Wisconsin, Kansas State, and Purdue who grind it out with Virginia as the one seed this is half court basketball at its purest. Plus, Villanova is a 6 seed with history nobody will want to face. Again, this is another bracket like the West that could go so many directions.

The Midwest bracket annoys me a bit.... How much does this committee bow down to Kentucky? They in my opinion tried to give them the easiest path to the Elite 8 for any 1 or 2 seed. Plus, North Carolina should be smoothly through. This in my opinion is the weakest bracket. My crazy upset is I have New Mexico State over Auburn even after Auburn just blitz their way to an SEC tourney crown. The game is out in Salt Lake City at altitude. NM State is used to that and Auburn is not and likes to run and gun. Throw in Auburn can shoot themselves out of games sometimes just like they can light it up as easily. I'll take my upset guess will happen with a cold and gassed Auburn in this.
I disagree with your conclusion about Kentucky. In the 2nd round they could face Seton Hall, which beat the Wildcats earlier in the season. Houston is no slouch, and I heard an ESPN pundit predict that Iowa State will go deep into the tournament.

It looks to me more like the fix is in for the ACC. Three 1-seeds. Give me a break. And the path to the semis seems to be paved for each of them. It's no accident that the mid-majors you mention as being a big threat are all in the one region which doesn't have an ACC team at the top of the bracket. For example, the one team with the crdientials to challenge North Carolina in their half of the bracket is Auburn, who should have lost to New Mexico State today.

beach bum

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 21, 2019, 06:06:34 pm
I disagree with your conclusion about Kentucky. In the 2nd round they could face Seton Hall, which beat the Wildcats earlier in the season. Houston is no slouch, and I heard an ESPN pundit predict that Iowa State will go deep into the tournament.

It looks to me more like the fix is in for the ACC. Three 1-seeds. Give me a break. And the path to the semis seems to be paved for each of them. It's no accident that the mid-majors you mention as being a big threat are all in the one region which doesn't have an ACC team at the top of the bracket. For example, the one team with the crdientials to challenge North Carolina in their half of the bracket is Auburn, who should have lost to New Mexico State today.

Without PJ Washington Wofford has a chance, but of course they'll need a lights out game from the 3 point line.

Yesterday was much better from a neutral fan standpoint. Even when the mid majors did not win they at least had good showings even in losses for the most part.

And what about Morant for Murray State? He'll need another stellar performance against a much better defense this time today. He is the real deal and if I am in the NBA I'd be dreaming to play with a guy like that. A rare player that makes the other players around him better.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: beach bum on March 23, 2019, 11:22:00 am
Without PJ Washington Wofford has a chance, but of course they'll need a lights out game from the 3 point line.

Yesterday was much better from a neutral fan standpoint. Even when the mid majors did not win they at least had good showings even in losses for the most part.

And what about Morant for Murray State? He'll need another stellar performance against a much better defense this time today. He is the real deal and if I am in the NBA I'd be dreaming to play with a guy like that. A rare player that makes the other players around him better.
Morant is the real deal. But he didn't do as well against FL state. Their defense beat him up pretty bad. The rest of the Racers, too. He'll have to toughen up because he'll get that every night in the NBA.

501Arkansas

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 24, 2019, 04:21:58 pm
Morant is the real deal. But he didn't do as well against FL state. Their defense beat him up pretty bad. The rest of the Racers, too. He'll have to toughen up because he'll get that every night in the NBA.
He can't do everything by himself every game especially in the big tournament. His teammates was lost. FSU length definitely affected what he does. He still played a okay game just needed some help. He'll be fine in the nba. He can do do what most point guards in the nba can't do. One thing I hate about his game is that he isn't selfish enough. He has that dog in him, I'm just ready to see him be a little more selfish with the rock. He is definitely top 2 pick in the draft

501Arkansas

Tournament has been fun so far. That duke game had me scared lol Taco Bell(Tacko Fall) definitely affected what duke wanted to do yesterday. Just by him being a decor. They wanted to attack the basketball but couldn't just because he was 7'6. If the would've made him foul out a little earlier that game wouldn't been that close. What about the Tennessee game? Boy didn't they get lucky? They have to do better, you cannot blow a 25 pt lead like that.

MidWest Region

North Carolina vs Auburn/Houston vs Kentucky

I have Auburn vs Houston in the elite 8

South Region

Virginia vs Oregon/Tennessee vs Purdue

I have Virginia vs Purde in the elite 8

West Region

Gonzaga vs Florida State/Texas Tech vs Michigan

I have Florida State vs Michigan in the elite 8

East Region

Duke vs Virginia Tech/LSU vs Michigan State

Duke vs Michigan State in the elite 8

Who you guys have moving to the elite 8?

Bbal789

I feel like Duke's talent is just too overwhelming for them not to win the championship. If they lose it is their fault. I havent seen a player like Zion Williamson every in my life and his ability to dominate and takeover a game is just insane.

501Arkansas

Quote from: Bbal789 on March 25, 2019, 11:33:20 pm
I feel like Duke's talent is just too overwhelming for them not to win the championship. If they lose it is their fault. I havent seen a player like Zion Williamson every in my life and his ability to dominate and takeover a game is just insane.
Just wait until he gets a little better dribbling the ball and improve his jump shot. He is going to be something special if he develop those two things

501Arkansas

What you guys think about Arkansas firing mike Anderson today?

CoolBreeze

Quote from: 501Arkansas on March 26, 2019, 03:45:10 pm
What you guys think about Arkansas firing mike Anderson today?
He was a big disappointment. Had trouble winning away from the friendly confines of Bud
Walton Arena. The Razorbacks have too storied a history to be satisfied with a coach who does not at least compete for the SEC championship almost every year.

501Arkansas

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 27, 2019, 04:01:41 pm
He was a big disappointment. Had trouble winning away from the friendly confines of Bud
Walton Arena. The Razorbacks have too storied a history to be satisfied with a coach who does not at least compete for the SEC championship almost every year.
Every coach after Nolan was a disappointment. Not his fault kids didn't want to stay at home. Arkansas needs to dig into how to get big name kids to stay at home and get big name kids from other states. Like start looking into upgrading their facilities. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone leaves and the ones that committed to Arkansas go elsewhere

beach bum

Florida State was letting Gonzaga get dunk after dunk.... And that Purdue vs Tennessee game was wild

501Arkansas

Quote from: beach bum on March 28, 2019, 09:42:09 pm
Florida State was letting Gonzaga get dunk after dunk.... And that Purdue vs Tennessee game was wild
I think Florida state still could've won that game. When FSU coach pulled Trent Forrest(who Gonzaga couldn't stop) out the game with 5 points behind that's when the game changed. Gonzaga went 5+ minutes with 1 field goal. Terrance Mann didn't show up at all. Tennessee beat themselves. Turner fouled the guy on a 3pt shot cost them the game. But hey it's been a good sweet 16 so far. Hope my Blue Devils can pull it off tonight

beach bum

Quote from: 501Arkansas on March 29, 2019, 01:59:47 am
I think Florida state still could've won that game. When FSU coach pulled Trent Forrest(who Gonzaga couldn't stop) out the game with 5 points behind that's when the game changed. Gonzaga went 5+ minutes with 1 field goal. Terrance Mann didn't show up at all. Tennessee beat themselves. Turner fouled the guy on a 3pt shot cost them the game. But hey it's been a good sweet 16 so far. Hope my Blue Devils can pull it off tonight

Duke has really got what I saw as a tough bracket portion.... First playing UCF who was a matchup nightmare for them with Dawkins as the coach at UCF and size to stop Duke. Then now they play a conference foe in the sweet 16 almost in Virginia Tech's back yard. I know Durham isn't that far from D.C. either but the Hokies are going to have a good following and crowd too there. Then most likely Michigan State could matchup with Duke well. If the Blue Devils win it all I think they had the hardest go of it by far to get it done and really fought through some tough games.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas