• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Block

Started by Da Thump, October 13, 2018, 04:30:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Da Thump

What is a legal or illegal block?  I have observed several blocks where the offense is running "twins".  The offense runs a sweep toward the "twins".  The inside "twin" comes down and blindsides the outside linebacker/defensive end.  What would make the block legal or illegal?

During the most violent collisions the defender is focused toward the inside moving toward the outside to contain the play.  The receiver is coming from the outside.  Some of the hits have been below the waist but most have been chest high from the side.  Some head positioning toward the back, some in the front.

Thanks,
Just Wondering.

Flobbito

This is a crack back block, and they can be brutal. If the blocker has his head in front of the defender then it is legal as long as they are blocking the side or front of the defender. If they have their head behind the defender or if the defender has their back to the blocker then it is an illegal block in the back or a clip.

Da Thump

Has anyone had the rule listed below enforced? 

"The establishment of a new definition of a blindside block in Rule 2-3-10 and the addition of Rule 9-4-3n prohibiting a blindside block were two of 11 rules changes recommended by the NFHS Football Rules Committee at its January 20-22 meeting in Indianapolis. All rules changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

"The NFHS Football Rules Committee's actions this year once again addressed risk minimization, officiating, competitive balance and game administration," said Bob Colgate, director of sports and sports medicine at the NFHS and staff liaison for football.

The definition of a blindside block established by the committee is "a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching," and now results in a 15-yard penalty.

The committee stated that the blindside block "involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone."

football_referee

My crew has called this 4 time this year 1 In Jr High and 3 times in SR High Games 1 game we had 1 and in another we had 2,  I think the coaches are doing a fantastic job teaching the new rule and letting the players know that they must lead with open hands.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas