• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Class 5A

Started by Chief_Osceola™, October 02, 2018, 02:29:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief_Osceola™

My goodness this classification is LOADED.  The top 10 is dominated by the West and the East.  Greenwood, Greenbriar, Russellville, Siloam Springs, Jonesboro, Paragould, and Nettleton all look to be contenders, with maybe one or two others from the East/West. Lakeside, MH, & Benton also look to be dark horses.  The Central is the weakest top to bottom.  Right now Maumelle leads the conference at 5-0 with Sylvan Hills and Jacksonville right behind them.  Those 3 could potentially give some teams problems due to their athleticism - seriously, those girls seem to get to everything.  What hurts the Central is that there are only 6 schools in conference that play volleyball, and Hall and White Hall are at the bottom of the classification.  Parkview is decent, but a tier below the other 3.  I'm not sure if any of the central teams will advance, namely because they are paired with the toughest conference in the state.  The West will be battle-tested, whereas the Central doesn't see that level of competition every week.  The South vs. East matchups could see some 5-set matches too.

Regardless, it will be a fun state tournament to watch.

Chief_Osceola™

5A Central standings/seeds:
1. Maumelle (8-0) clinched #1 seed today
2. Sylvan Hills (6-2) plays Jacksonville Thursday, may determine 2 & 3 seed
3. Jacksonville (5-3) ditto on #2 or #3
4. Parkview (3-5) clinched #4 seed; cannot finish any higher

What are the other conferences looking like?

sevenof400

I think the following os worth a quick review:

West
Alma
Beebe
Greenbrier
Greenwood
Little Rock Christian
Russellville
Siloam Springs
Vilonia

Central ...I know that not all of the teams here offer VB but just listing the entire Central....
Hall
Jacksonville
Maumelle
Parkview Art/Science
Pine Bluff
Sylvan Hills
Watson Chapel
White Hall

East
Greene Co. Tech
Jonesboro
Marion
Mountain Home
Nettleton
Paragould
Searcy
West Memphis

South
Benton
El Dorado
Hot Springs
J. A. Fair
Lake Hamilton
Lakeside – HS
Sheridan
Texarkana

Right off the bat, the most important point are the teams that are no longer 5A - namely Batesville and Valley View.  That is one half of the Eastern bloc that has dominated 5A for so long. 

I have seen NONE of the 5A South teams.

The East is still has GCT, Jonesboro (new to 5A this year), Nettleton and Paragould.  It would NOT be a total shock if all four 5A East state playoff teams made the semi finals again this year but certainly Greenwood from the West could break the East stranglehold. 

But from what I have seen of the Central this year, I don't think any of these teams will make the semi finals as they just do not seem to have the depth of quality it takes to make a run at state.  This is NOT to say there aren't some good players in the Central, just that they don't have enough of them.

1-Adam-12

I saw GCT at the Paris tournament; based on what I saw of them, they won't make the 5A semis.  They were beaten in straight games by Mena.

Have also seen Lake Hamilton.  Decent, but behind both Benton and Lakeside in the South.  One of the previous two might surprise. 

So might Greenbrier in the West.  They're not up to the likes of Greenwood just yet but knowing Coach Davis, he will have that team at its best come playoff time as he did at Paris.

Chief_Osceola™

October 17, 2018, 09:45:00 am #4 Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:44:37 am by Chief_Osceola™
The Central wrapped up conference play last night.  I'm not sure yet on the seeding for the 2 & 3, but I'll look at the head to head results and make an educated guess.

1. Maumelle (10-0)
2. Sylvan Hills (7-3)
3. Jacksonville (7-3)
4. Parkview (4-6)
5. White Hall (1-9)
6. LR Hall (1-9)

Sylvan Hills split with Jacksonville, and I'm not sure about tiebreaker order.  I assume it goes sets won between tied teams, total points between tied teams (or point differential), total sets lost in conference, and then after that I have no idea.

Edit: I think SH gets the tiebreaker over J'ville.  They both won 4 sets against each other (3-1) both matches, but SH had 9 more total points than J'ville.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas