• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma @ Morrilton

Started by the voice, September 28, 2018, 10:40:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the voice

Morrilton rolled last week. The offense was explosive, the defense stingy. Looking like the contender again. Exciting week as Alma rolls into town.

PA Dad

I think Morrilton takes this one fairly easily.

Voice, any word on when Criswell will play?

the voice

September 28, 2018, 10:58:08 pm #2 Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:12:08 pm by the voice
 :-X  :-X

PA Dad

the voice

September 28, 2018, 11:03:58 pm #4 Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:11:38 pm by the voice
Alma and devil dogs have been tough games last few years

South 45

I NEVER sleep on Alma!!! Every time I have I paid the price.... 

Devil Dog 17

They will  put you to sleep this year. Dogs 45 Airdales 14..

AT

Not sure where the overconfidence from Morrilton comes into this. Perhaps the home field advantage?

Go Postal

I'm wondering if this will be another year of GOBS beat Motown, Motown beats 'Dales, 'Dales beat GOBS and then we throw in "Briar to make sure it's nice and complicated for seeding again this year

the voice

October 01, 2018, 08:49:08 pm #9 Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:09:34 pm by the voice
Overconfident? Nah just got a player back that makes us much more balanced. Just looking at the Russellville game by comparison says something. I'm hoping coach Mcnabb makes it three in a row over Alma. Dogs are loaded. Not a rebuilding year , people who wrote them off will be surprised 😮!
No disrespect trackster.  Alma is Alma.

the voice

October 01, 2018, 09:11:56 pm #10 Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:15:23 pm by the voice
Quote from: Go Postal on October 01, 2018, 07:38:38 pm
I'm wondering if this will be another year of GOBS beat Motown, Motown beats 'Dales, 'Dales beat GOBS and then we throw in "Briar to make sure it's nice and complicated for seeding again this year
Nope , I seriously doubt barring injury the gobs will have a game as close as Motown. I could be wrong tho. I see the dogs will be pressing each week posty ! 😉

Almahasbeen

34-21 motown takes this one... We have looked a lot better the last two weeks, but i do think the Ddogs are more talented this year and will be too much for us!

Overdahill

Can someone tell us how to watch this one on live stream b4 game time? too good to miss! thanks in advance!

South 45

Quote from: Overdahill on October 04, 2018, 10:08:50 am
Can someone tell us how to watch this one on live stream b4 game time? too good to miss! thanks in advance!
As far as I know from the Morrilton side of things the game is not available live. It is recorded and broadcast on our community channel 6 the following Saturday. It is live on our local radio station KVOM 101.7

The Future

I feel this will be a lot closer than people think.

Morrilton 28
Alma 21

Alma will have the ball with one last chance and will either fail to convert a 4th down or will throw a pick and Devil Dawgs will take over and run out the clock.

Book it!  :D

Almahasbeen

Youtube Alma school district, they do the live stream through youtube!

South 45

Quote from: The Future on October 04, 2018, 10:42:16 am
I feel this will be a lot closer than people think.

Morrilton 28
Alma 21

Alma will have the ball with one last chance and will either fail to convert a 4th down or will throw a pick and Devil Dawgs will take over and run out the clock.

Book it!  :D
I am more concerned about Alma than I was Greenbrier...Then again I thought it would be a one scorn difference in that one, so what do I know...We were firing on all cylinders last week and there is no reason we shouldn't be again this week. I'm calling a win for us but have too much respect for the Alma program to get haughty about it. D-Dogs by 10...
(see quote at bottom of all my posts ;D)

AT

I'd set the line as Morrilton 7.5 point favorites. I would probably take Morrilton in the game, but Alma covers. Could come down to extra points like it did two years ago.

Almahasbeen

Overdahill

South 45

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 04, 2018, 01:53:26 pm
I'd set the line as Morrilton 7.5 points.
You are as bad as my, I mean my brother in law's bookmaker  ;) with the 1/2 point. At least give a fella the chance of a push!!!

PercussionMan

Quote from: South 45 on September 29, 2018, 08:20:54 am
I NEVER sleep on Alma!!! Every time I have I paid the price.... 

Yep....been there done that a few times.  When I see "Alma" on the schedule, I know it's going to be a fight, one way or another.  Still like the Devil Dogs in this one with their 2nd string QB back running the offense.

FBGM501

Bold prediction alma pulls off the upset against morrilton on the road. This will be the first game that they severely miss their QB jacoby who is out for the season after suffering a knee injury. But after this loss this team will learn from their mistakes and come back with vengeance for the rest of the season

the voice

October 05, 2018, 01:35:10 pm #23 Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:37:02 pm by the voice
Quote from: FBGM501 on October 05, 2018, 12:53:56 pm
Bold prediction alma pulls off the upset against morrilton on the road. This will be the first game that they severely miss their QB jacoby who is out for the season after suffering a knee injury. But after this loss this team will learn from their mistakes and come back with vengeance for the rest of the season
It is BOLD, cause it certainly wouldn't be the first game they really missed him. Our starter tonight is one of the best in conference, no worries, Alma is Alma. We are ready and we aren't Farmington . If this QB played whole game against searcy we beat them and Russellville the next week. This team is talented. It wasn't just Jacolby , who is looking better everyday 😉. Not out for the season!!!

InYoGrill

Quote from: the voice on October 05, 2018, 01:35:10 pm
It is BOLD, cause it certainly wouldn't be the first game they really missed him. Our starter tonight is one of the best in conference, no worries, Alma is Alma. We are ready and we aren't Farmington . If this QB played whole game against searcy we beat them and Russellville the next week. This team is talented. It wasn't just Jacolby , who is looking better everyday 😉. Not out for the season!!!

Voice sounded like Rocky balboa. HAhaha.... Motown in da house by 14.

South 45

Quote from: InYoGrill on October 05, 2018, 04:36:25 pm
Voice sounded like Rocky balboa. HAhaha.... Motown in da house by 14.
That's why we call him "The Voice"...He's always got something to say!!!

the voice

I'll keep score to myself. But I'm expecting big things !!!

the voice

October 05, 2018, 09:36:44 pm #27 Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:29:45 pm by the voice
I'm very disappointed in tonight's game   
Gonna leaves it at that

Go Postal

Wow!  Just watched the last two minutes of the game.  Just WOW!

InYoGrill

AT

PA Dad

Quote from: PA Dad on September 28, 2018, 10:46:09 pm
I think Morrilton takes this one fairly easily.

Voice, any word on when Criswell will play?

Well, I showed once again what a prediction guru I am.

Congrats to Alma on a big win.  It sets up a big showdown in a couple of weeks.

AT

Alma has to worry about Clarksville first. Not just coach speak, they almost beat Alma last year. Have to take them seriously on homecoming.

Go Postal

Clarksville was very interesting running the ball like Vilonia used to do.  When they were at Harrison, their main QB was not dressed out.  I don't know if he is back yet.  I would not sleep on them.

Looks like this game didn't get started until the 2nd half.  What happened on both sides of the ball for both teams?

The Future

Motownsportsfan

I know in the old days if someone scheduled you for Homecoming it was extra motivation to play them. A respect factor. I guess in this day and age of convience you just schedule a date no matter who it is. I don't think it was a good idea to schedule Alma for Homecoming but that's just me I guess. 

AT

1st quarter, Alma was shortening the game as they usually do against Morrilton. Motown had a chance after Alma muffed a punt in Alma territory, but couldn't convert after the Alma D held strong.

Late in the first quarter, Alma drove deep into Motown territory. Alma had a 2nd and 10 at the Motown 38 to end of the first quarter with no score.

AT

Morrilton held strong against Alma on the drive into Alma territory and got a turnover on downs. Game has been between the 20s up to this point. Morrilton got right on the Alma side of the 50, but threw an interception, where Alma returned it to the Morrilton side of the 50. Alma starts shortening the game again. Alma converts a big 4th and medium with a nice out pattern. Shelton is in the game now (the one who intercepted the pass to start the drive) and is moving the ball slowly, but surely (exactly how Alma likes it this year.) He throws a TD pass to Grayson Bailey. The PAT is blocked, though. Alma 6, Morrilton 0, late 2nd quarter.

Alma did one of the weirdest kicks I've ever seen after that. A kickoff that went straight up in the air for 10 yards. I couldn't tell if it was planned or not but it almost worked, but Morrilton recovered and had great field position in Alma territory. Morrilton picks up some chunk plays and then a crazy sequence of events happen. Morrilton turns the ball over after fumbling a completed catch. Alma then fumbles the ball back to Motown on the very next play on a run. So basically those two plays canceled each other out. Morrilton makes some great plays and punches it in with about 13 seconds to play. They convert their PAT. Motown 7, Alma 6

Alma has a great kickoff return and it looks like for a moment they might break one to end the half, but they don't.

7-6 Motown at half.

AT

Alma receives 2nd half kickoff. Blair hooks up with Grayson Bailey on a big play to the Morrilton 27 on 3rd and medium. Motown defense holds strong and Alma tries a rare kick and it's good! Alma-9, Motown-7. Early 3rd quarter.

Motown takes no time to respond with a TD. Big chunk plays including a long TD pass in the right corner of the endzone to make it 14-9 Motown. Mid 3rd Q.

Motown makes a big mistake with a personal foul on the ensuing kickoff. The ball goes out of bounds and add that penalty and that puts the ball at midfield for Alma to start the drive. Alma has to convert a 4th and 1 to keep the drive going. Another time consuming drive even though Alma has only 50 yards to go. Run, take your time. Run, take your time. Alma doing exactly what they want. Motown not making it easy. Alma has another 4th down to convert. 4th and 2. Alma does a hard count and it works. Offsides gives Alma a first down on the Motown 15. Alma, believe it or not, uses half a quarter to go 45 yards and make it 1st and Goal on the 5 down 14-9 going into the 4th quarter.

AT

Alma scores on the first play of the 4th quarter on a nice play action. Alma tries to go for two to make it a 3 point game, but fail and it is 15-14 Alma.

Motown has good field position after the kickoff return.

Motown has to convert a 3rd and long to keep the drive going and they do. Morrilton faces a 4th and medium. Big play here. Incomplete pass and Alma takes over on downs.

15-14 Alma with 9:30 left in the game and they have the ball in their own territory. Alma goes 3 and out after Motown bows up on D.

Motown is methodical on their next drive until they score a touchdown on a long play with 3:50 left. They go for two to be up by 7 and it works. 22-15 Motown. 3:50 left in the game.

More to be posted on the next post.

South 45

One heck of a ball game...I'll leave it at that.

AT

With 3:50 left in the game, Morrilton kicks off and Alma returns the ball past midfield again. Big special teams play. After two straight half yard runs, Alma is facing a 3rd and 9 around the Morrilton 40. Tanner Shelton, not known for passing the ball much this year, hits Grayson Bailey on a 4 yard in route, where Grayson does the rest of the work by zooming past Morrilton defenders and making two young men miss to score the touchdown to put them down 1. Grayson then runs a nice route to catch the 2 point conversion to put Alma up 1.

Morrilton has 2 and change left and makes the most of it and drives to the Alma 19 and elects to attempt the game winning field goal. The snap rolls to the holder who gets it down just in time, but probably messes with the kicker's rythym (Alma was all over the backfield too...tough to tell if Alma got a hand on it or not) and he misses low and away. Alma wins by 1.

PA Dad

That was a heck of a game.  I'm sorry I missed it.

What do the West fans think of the West prospects in the playoffs?

I know Harrison is rolling.  I'm impressed with Alma's win over Morrilton.  And I still think Morrilton can be a factor if Criswell returns.  He is a special athlete.

PercussionMan

Quote from: PA Dad on October 08, 2018, 08:43:04 pm
That was a heck of a game.  I’m sorry I missed it.

I know Harrison is rolling.  I’m impressed with Alma’s win over Morrilton.  And I still think Morrilton can be a factor if Criswell returns.  He is a special athlete.

I haven't kept up as closely with high school football this year as I would like to, but from the looks of it, I don't think the West is very strong this year....Harrison is obviously pretty good, Alma is getting better each week, Greenbrier kinda fell on their faces, Morrilton is hit and miss depending on what team shows up....sounds like Farmington and Clarksville have improved....sounds like Vilonia and Huntsville are still having their woes.  It's hard to say about the remaining four weeks, but I just don't see the West doing much in the playoffs.  I hope some teams prove my assessment to be incorrect.

AT

West seems to be overall down this year.

Some teams have trended up, but I think with Alma, Morrilton, and Greenbrier all being more down this year than usual, it makes the overall conference trend down especially since those 3 look like they could be the other playoff teams outside of Harrison again.

InYoGrill

Since GWood left conference, West overall has been weak imo. Other than occasional great Motown team or decent Alma team that has been the most the West has brought out of conference past 7-8 years. Briar is good but not great most years but will give them credit for their program being a consistent winner unlike my struggling VTown. My son's SR year had a good team until we played GWood, Alma, and then at Bateville 1st Rd. Think we were 7-4 in 2011. 6 wins has been tops ever since and maybe 1st rd twice with quick drives home.

To put in perspective how strong GW was back in the day in 5A West, Dawg Pound won state- 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011 before heading to 6A in 2012 and winning state again.

South 45

Quote from: PA Dad on October 08, 2018, 08:43:04 pm
That was a heck of a game.  I'm sorry I missed it.

I know Harrison is rolling.  I'm impressed with Alma's win over Morrilton.  And I still think Morrilton can be a factor if Criswell returns.  He is a special athlete.
Ask 4 people "in the know" about Chriswell and you will get 4 different answers. Big difference between released to play and is going to play so who knows...If he was my kid you probably wouldn't see him until next summer. You are correct, he would make a difference.
At this point I think if anyone in the west is going to see the second round it will be Harrison.

Roscoe

I saw on Twitter that he was practicing this week, so maybe he plays.  Morrilton should win out even without Criswell.  The west is pretty weak.

Did the voice go into hiding after the loss to Alma?

AT

Quote from: South 45 on October 09, 2018, 10:26:02 am
Ask 4 people "in the know" about Chriswell and you will get 4 different answers. Big difference between released to play and is going to play so who knows...If he was my kid you probably wouldn't see him until next summer. You are correct, he would make a difference.
At this point I think if anyone in the west is going to see the second round it will be Harrison.

South 45, I'm having a hard time understanding, this was a complete tear of his ACL right? I understand not wanting to release medical info, but did he end up having the surgery?

You can play on a torn ACL, I know an Alma basketball player who has done it before (albeit, he didn't know) for a whole season, but man it is rough.

I just can't imagine wanting to risk a D1 - SEC level athlete's health like that. I hope Jacolby is fully healthy when he comes back.

South 45

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 11, 2018, 03:08:11 pm
South 45, I'm having a hard time understanding, this was a complete tear of his ACL right? I understand not wanting to release medical info, but did he end up having the surgery?

You can play on a torn ACL, I know an Alma basketball player who has done it before (albeit, he didn't know) for a whole season, but man it is rough.

I just can't imagine wanting to risk a D1 - SEC level athlete's health like that. I hope Jacolby is fully healthy when he comes back.
Full disclosure...I have no first hand knowledge of the situation, only second hand hearsay and conjecture. What I have heard more than once (so you know it must be true) during the surgery they found the damage was not near as bad as they thought it to be before they went in and he is healing well. Someone mentioned above he was practicing per twitter...this is the first I have heard of that but then again I spend much more time during the week with the younger teams then I do Sr. high so I wouldn't know. I am certain of one thing, his coaches and family WILL NOT let him do anything to jeopardize his future in any way. He is a special kid as much off the field as on and no one is willing to gamble one bit with his well being. IF...he comes back to play this year it will only happen under two condition and that is all principle people involved have been thoroughly convinced he is 100% healthy and it is decided it is in HIS best interest to start taking snaps again.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas