• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Franklin Co. Feud 2018: Ozark Hillbillies @ Charleston Tigers

Started by x14113, September 07, 2018, 10:44:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Brings Home That Outdated Trophy?

Ozark
23 (65.7%)
Charleston
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: September 14, 2018, 10:44:51 pm

x14113

A pair of 1-1 teams meet up at the southern end.

Commence the Smack!

Sigmund Sauer

Ozark may have the edge here. I've seen a select few Charleston fans suddenly talk as though non-conference games just aren't important any longer. Funny how that happened after a loss. So, they may just go with the 2nd and 3rd string players in this meaningless contest ;) Obviously, the true Tigers fans know this isn't true though and all games are important, so I give Charleston the edge by 2 TDs. Should be a great game!

x14113

The Hillbillies have the core of last year's team returning with a chip on their shoulder.

Bad breaks were a factor in last year's result, so limiting those will be key.

CatPride

Both teams are faced with key injuries, and both teams will be tested in the secondary. I see this as a very close, high scoring game.

Gray lizard

Should be a good game.  Either team could come out with the win, but I am thinking Charleston by as much as 2 TD's due to home field advantage.

FBGFDRUM

Jabali

jimbojack

CatPride

Quote from: jimbojack on September 11, 2018, 09:09:37 am
How's Eddie?  Heard he had a knee injury?
He will be fine, but probably sitting this one out and looking at returning against Mena.

AlumniLights

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on September 07, 2018, 11:04:45 pm
Ozark may have the edge here. I've seen a select few Charleston fans suddenly talk as though non-conference games just aren't important any longer. Funny how that happened after a loss. So, they may just go with the 2nd and 3rd string players in this meaningless contest ;) Obviously, the true Tigers fans know this isn't true though and all games are important, so I give Charleston the edge by 2 TDs. Should be a great game!

Must not be TRUE tiger fans is all I have to say.

macadoshis

I will be pulling for the Tigers in this one amd just might make the trip over to Alumni Field.

CapnObvious

Gray lizard

Charleston at home and a little down but I would say a little over a touch down advantage.

HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers

Wow....that last play with the laterals... I felt bad for Ozark...

x14113

You know, for all the times we see such stuff on repeat on our TVs, that was the first time I've ever seen it live in a HS game.

To say nothing of the players on defense.

In any case...Two one-point outcomes between Charleston and the 4A-4.

Methinks that conference will be a dogfight!

gold45

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on September 07, 2018, 11:04:45 pm

If you are so knowledgeable about Tiger fans, then you would KNOW that the Franklin County Feud is right up there with the State Championship in terms of meaning.  GO TIGERS!!!!!

gold45

What a game! Great effort by Ozark.  They have some great athletes and I was impressed with their sportsmanship.   Charleston didn't play their best but their defense sure held their own.  Proud of those Tigers!!

Lizard47

Quote from: x14113 on September 14, 2018, 09:53:34 pm
You know, for all the times we see such stuff on repeat on our TVs, that was the first time I've ever seen it live in a HS game.

To say nothing of the players on defense.

In any case...Two one-point outcomes between Charleston and the 4A-4.

Methinks that conference will be a dogfight!

Me thinks you are right about that one. We gotta focus on one game at a time though. When Ozark week comes I'm sure we'll both be ready and the war will be on. Should be an electric atmosphere.

CapnObvious

HorseFeathers

X...that's how I felt about it.... Was on the Ozark side as it was a late decision to make the 1.5 hr trip over to Chuck....But I had my phone camera out to record the Ozark celebration of finally beat Charleston....instead I catch their heartbreak...

(Almatracksters link is a much better video than what I was able to capture)...

Last game I watched Charleston play was last year against Dardanelle where SMF climbed the ladder to catch a high pass and beat Dardanelle by 1....now tonight's game...

gold45

Lizard47

I watched the multi-lateral miracle play. Congrats to Chucktown from the Lizard Nation. Champions find a way to win. I'm glad we don't have a trophy at stake for our yearly matchup otherwise y'all might have got that 2 pt conversion. Good luck in the 3A this year, hope y'all do well.

arthurhawgerelli

Don't mean to be a whiner, but what is the rule on changing a kid's jersey? He doesn't have to report that to the officials?

That last play was wild. Would have been better if the band had taken the field.

Lizard47

Unless that player had been ejected previously I don't think there would be any such rule. I can't imagine why it would matter.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Lizard47 on September 15, 2018, 09:45:43 am
Unless that player had been ejected previously I don't think there would be any such rule. I can't imagine why it would matter.

Putting an eligible number on an offensive tackle that has not been eligible to receive passes all not is a very big deal. On the play in question, there were 6 receivers. That's illegal as well. I know in the nfl and college, the referee will announce to the defense when an ineligible receiver has become eligible due to alignment. I just don't know about slipping an eligible on a player in the huddle being a legal or ethical thing to do.

SUGARTOWN

The last lateral looked like it was forward to me. But after all that I can understand that no ref would have the cojones to flag it.

CatPride

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 15, 2018, 11:40:29 am
The last lateral looked like it was forward to me. But after all that I can understand that no ref would have the cojones to flag it.
I'm with you on the forward lateral, looked pretty obvious to me.

Lineman

Quote from: CatPride on September 15, 2018, 12:06:42 pm
I'm with you on the forward lateral, looked pretty obvious to me.
Those guys we're only concerned with throwing flags for sideline warnings

gold45

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on September 15, 2018, 10:44:35 am
Putting an eligible number on an offensive tackle that has not been eligible to receive passes all not is a very big deal. On the play in question, there were 6 receivers. That's illegal as well. I know in the nfl and college, the referee will announce to the defense when an ineligible receiver has become eligible due to alignment. I just don't know about slipping an eligible on a player in the huddle being a legal or ethical thing to do.

The player wears number 52 on defense and number 42 on offense.  It's a small school and wearing two different numbers for offense and defense is necessary to make him an eligible receiver. 

gold45

Quote from: Lizard47 on September 15, 2018, 08:50:32 am
I watched the multi-lateral miracle play. Congrats to Chucktown from the Lizard Nation. Champions find a way to win. I'm glad we don't have a trophy at stake for our yearly matchup otherwise y'all might have got that 2 pt conversion. Good luck in the 3A this year, hope y'all do well.

Thanks, Lizard!  Good luck to the Sand Lizards in the 4A as well!

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: gold45 on September 15, 2018, 06:04:33 pm
The player wears number 52 on defense and number 42 on offense.  It's a small school and wearing two different numbers for offense and defense is necessary to make him an eligible receiver. 

Why doesn't he just wear 42 all the time, because there are no eligible numbers to play on defense?

Lizard47

I still fail to see why this is even an issue. It's not like a jersey change really won that game. I don't care if a player wears a jersey with a pink unicorn on it, you still play the game and do your job and try not to get fooled.

Lizard47

You're playing a team with superior ball handling skills and it's obviously gonna be the last play for the win. Might help to stay at home on the back side especially with a receiver just hanging out over there like he's waiting for a throwback or something. Defense is all about discipline, not jersey numbers.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: Lizard47 on September 18, 2018, 06:47:35 pm
I still fail to see why this is even an issue. It's not like a jersey change really won that game. I don't care if a player wears a jersey with a pink unicorn on it, you still play the game and do your job and try not to get fooled.

I don't think anyone really thinks it had a bearing on the outcome. I've started following along simply out of curiosity. Most of these players are so caught up in the action, I couldn't imagine having to depend on one to change Jerseys every series. Must be a well focused young man for sure!

arthurhawgerelli

September 19, 2018, 08:28:41 am #36 Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:32:12 am by arthurhawgerelli
Quote from: Lizard47 on September 18, 2018, 06:54:51 pm
You're playing a team with superior ball handling skills and it's obviously gonna be the last play for the win. Might help to stay at home on the back side especially with a receiver just hanging out over there like he's waiting for a throwback or something. Defense is all about discipline, not jersey numbers.

I guess you've never played much defense.  Only certain numbers are eligible to go out for a pass.  If a guy has been playing offensive tackle all night, and he is wearing an ineligible number (50-79), the defense becomes accustomed to his face as much as his number.  The rule in college and NFL is that if a player is wearing an ineligible number, he can become eligible by alignment, but the umpire will announce to the defense he is now an eligible player.  I was asking what the high school rule is.  If the rule isn't the same, okay. 

Re-watching the play on Hudl, not only was he wearing an ineligible number, he was the 6th man going out for a pass.  Sorry, that's against the rules if you're wearing an eligible number or not.  When I initially say the play, I just couldn't believe Ozark had left the middle of the field so wide open.  I'm not saying it was the difference in the game.  A 60 yard td pass under those circumstances can make a coach question himself, or his players as to why it was so wide open, so he could make adjustments. 

I'm sorry if you think a player on the back side didn't stay at home, but I'm guessing you haven't seen the play.  It was right up the middle, and Ozark's safeties were covering the deep halves to the sidelines, and this guy showed up.  They took a butt chewing.  I'm sure they'll survive it, but how would you suggest the coach handle it for the future?  I totally agree that defense is about discipline.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas