• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week 0 Success?

Started by AT, August 25, 2018, 01:30:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

I was skeptical of this at first. I was one of those "Why go earlier in the summer and have another hot game?" people. After seeing all the matchups and how Arkansas was able to open up their high school football season with games they may not have been able to have otherwise, I have completely changed my mind.

Great idea and I like that teams can basically choose a bye week in non conference.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Almatrackster on August 25, 2018, 01:30:07 pm
I was skeptical of this at first. I was one of those "Why go earlier in the summer and have another hot game?" people. After seeing all the matchups and how Arkansas was able to open up their high school football season with games they may not have been able to have otherwise, I have completely changed my mind.

Great idea and I like that teams can basically choose a bye week in non conference.

Our game Tuesday night was great, weather was FABULOUS!

friscokid

My experience with Zero Week in Texas was, when they first brought it in 1998 or so, was that it was special to play that first extra week and teams would try to build up that first week by playing a special neutral-site game. That's what a lot of Arkansas teams are doing now. But over time, it'll become just a regular week of football and everyone will play as normal.

OB11

It's also good for coaches because they can go scout teams in person during their "bye" week. Gives them an opportunity to see other teams in person and not just on film.

Grizzlyfan

I guess I don't understand the point.  Everybody still plays 10 games right? (in Arkansas).  So how is it an "extra" week?

blueandwhite

Why do they call week 0? Why not just call it week 1?
That gives everybody 11 weeks to get 10 games played. Some coaches would like a week off, and other coaches don't want a week off.

Coach Jones

I can tell you I dislike the week 0.  One major problem is with coach's film exchange.  One coach has a full game and the other coach has a scrimmage to exchange.  Not really equal ground.  I have heard (not me personally) of coaches that would not exchange film.  Another is now that it is week one, if a team played week 0 and the other didn't it would be a big advantage for the team that had already played a game.  Almost makes playing week 0 a necessity, since most people will agree you make the most improvement between the first and second playing date.   

Fatfullback

So does this mean we are going to have a whole bunch of byes in the week before conference play begins; as in what is now called Week Three? So there won't be near as many games in the state that Friday?

beach bum

Quote from: Fatfullback on August 29, 2018, 04:43:56 pm
So does this mean we are going to have a whole bunch of byes in the week before conference play begins; as in what is now called Week Three? So there won't be near as many games in the state that Friday?

From what I saw there is the majority of byes that week

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas