• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting stroy about the beginning of the Benton Bryant rivalry

Started by Walter, August 24, 2018, 08:46:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

In 1976 Benton's main rival was Little Rock Catholic. They quit playing and Benton picked up Bryant. A few students from Bryant went to Benton and painted their black wooden panther statue pink. Benton's band picked up on that and learned to play the pink panther theme and after every touchdown they scored on Bryant they played it. I guess they developed that into what they do against all teams now.

The above information came from the Saline Courier today.

Lions84

Mulerider4Life

footballfan-tastic

I've heard some wild stories, was it really as bad as all that? 

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on August 27, 2018, 12:06:37 pm
I've heard some wild stories, was it really as bad as all that?

Nope, just dramatic parents and students.

Hornet-Hawg

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Hornet-Hawg on August 27, 2018, 01:44:52 pm
Oh, so you were there in the middle of it?

Grew up with it and yes have been to the salt bowl for many years in a row. Fights happen regularly.

Walter

people panicked and went into run mode. They were scared. My wife can not move fast and I decided to sit tight. Never heard the noise that others thought ware gun shots. I guarantee that the security people will no long let the concourse un the stands stay so full. I was in the NW part of the stadium and heard a ruckus and saw the police running up the ramp to whatever was going on. Shortly after that is when the screaming and running towards the field occurred.

Kids and parents have heard the news of many shootings and I can understand the fear the nuts and to some extent the media have created.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: SardisHog on August 27, 2018, 04:46:47 pm
people panicked and went into run mode. They were scared. My wife can not move fast and I decided to sit tight. Never heard the noise that others thought ware gun shots. I guarantee that the security people will no long let the concourse un the stands stay so full. I was in the NW part of the stadium and heard a ruckus and saw the police running up the ramp to whatever was going on. Shortly after that is when the screaming and running towards the field occurred.

Kids and parents have heard the news of many shootings and I can understand the fear the nuts and to some extent the media have created.

Sardis Hog you did the right thing.

Oldbadger

Mulerider4life, you never said, were you at the game Saturday night?

AirWarren

Quote from: SardisHog on August 27, 2018, 04:46:47 pm

The media.......

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Oldbadger on August 28, 2018, 10:54:40 am
Mulerider4life, you never said, were you at the game Saturday night?

No I was not at the game.

Oldbadger

Well, it's easy to belittle parents and their children, and call them dramatic, when you didn't experience what they did. After the last few years since Columbine, there have been numerous instances of mass shootings at schools, churches, musical sites and other venues. It is so pervasive that kids have been taught to react in certain ways should an active shooter appear where they are. I was there. After it was over I watched a video that clearly shows someone saying "He has a gun". What would you do? I was on Benton's side and saw hundreds of kids moving quickly away from the NW corner of the stadium, the site of the incident.  Soon, probably on social media, or by message, word got to us that there was an active shooter. By that time Benton's and Bryant's players and pep squads were running to the SW corner, away from the threat. They, or we, had no idea this wasn't real. They were taught to seek cover, hide and escape. They did that. So did everyone else. Parents were separated from their children, families were split up. I saw hysterical parents and grandparents looking for family and grandchildren. I was looking for my granddaughter. I ventured back to the stands and onto the field in an effort to find her. I saw chairs, blankets and food, some not even eaten thrown to the ground. It looked like a war zone. Except there were no bodies. Thank God! Finally, things begin to calm down and those who had not completely left the stadium began to venture back in. Still, hysteria reigned. We had been informed that there was no gun or shooter. Children were still crying and sobbing hysterically. I stopped to assure them things were okay now, that there is no gunman. So, it wasn't a show of drama from the kids or parents. To them, for a while, it was real. Now, instead of remembering the 2018 Salt Bowl for what it was going to be, a memorable game between two very good football teams, it will be remembered as a day of bedlam when many people felt they might die! Again, thank God, that wasn't the case.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Oldbadger on August 28, 2018, 02:48:09 pm
Well, it's easy to belittle parents and their children, and call them dramatic, when you didn't experience what they did. After the last few years since Columbine, there have been numerous instances of mass shootings at schools, churches, musical sites and other venues. It is so pervasive that kids have been taught to react in certain ways should an active shooter appear where they are. I was there. After it was over I watched a video that clearly shows someone saying "He has a gun". What would you do? I was on Benton's side and saw hundreds of kids moving quickly away from the NW corner of the stadium the site of the incident.  Soon, probably on social media or by message, word got to us that there was an active shooter. By that time Benton's and Bryant's players and pep squads were running to the SW corner, away from the threat. They, or we, had no idea this wasn't real. They were taught to seek cover, hide and escape. They did that. So did everyone else. Parents were separated from their children, families were split up. I saw hysterical parents and grandparents looking for family and grandchildren. I was looking for my granddaughter. I ventured back to the stands and onto the field in an effort to find her. I saw chairs, blankets and food, some not even eaten thrown to the ground. It looked like a war zone. Except there were no bodies. Thank God! Finally, things begin to calm down and those who had not completely left the stadium began to venture back in. Still, hysteria reigned. We had been informed that there was no gun or shooter by children were still crying and sobbing hysterically. I stopped to assure them things were okay now that there is no gunman. So, it wasn't a show of drama from the kids or parents. To them, for a while, it was real. Now, instead of remembering the 2018 Salt Bowl for what it was going to be, a memorable game between two very good football teams, it will be remembered as a day of bedlam when many people felt they might die! Again, thank God, that wasn't the case.

We all are have the freedom to have our own opinions. I respect yours. I also believe this is a valuable learning moment for everyone.

Lions84

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Lions84 on August 31, 2018, 08:49:42 am
Glad it all turned out alright.

Yep a week has gone by and everyone has moved on to other things.

Walter

Oldbadger

In a light hearted sense an incident happened at the Benton/Arkadelphia game last night. Just before the Benton players were to run through the Panther and onto the field about 30 students who were sitting together to help the cheerleaders cheer suddenly got up to go form a line for the Panthers to run through. Someone said loudly, "Everything is Okay, everything is Okay", to much laughter. And so life goes on!

Walter

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas