• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Waldron Head Football Coach/AD Job Vacancy

Started by Col. Nathan R. Jessup, May 01, 2018, 05:25:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Col. Nathan R. Jessup

I see where Waldron has posted their vacancy for head football coach and athletics director. Where did Ricky May go? Word on the street is he is at Booneville now.

AirWarren

AtmaVegeta

According to the Booneville Democrat he's back at Booneville as "Dean of Students/Athletic Director of Booneville schools".

Col. Nathan R. Jessup

I believe he is dean of students and athletics director at Booneville now.

PrivateLesson

That's what I hear.

I also heard they are in need of more than one coach....but who knows??

Quote from: AirWarren on May 01, 2018, 06:50:11 pm
Waldron: on the road to success.
People really shouldn't make Titles like that on here...it goes on FOREVER

PrivateLesson

Well, since Waldron just added brand new turf.....who is going to lead the Big Bad Dogs In Bulldog Land??

Anyone know who is available?   

I know junior high doesn't equate to high school wins but they and the 7th grade team last year did well...just sayin'

PrivateLesson

BYW...What was the name of the super talented twins that played for Magazine a few years back?    It was during Magazine State Title run, I believe?

Any Given Friday

May 01, 2018, 09:40:14 pm #7 Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:41:50 pm by Any Given Friday
Wonder if this job will attract many quality applicants?lived in this area as a young kid always thought it was a nice part of the state.

athletic supporter

Quote from: PrivateLesson on May 01, 2018, 09:29:57 pm
BYW...What was the name of the super talented twins that played for Magazine a few years back?    It was during Magazine State Title run, I believe?

Chambers

purpleswag

Quote from: Any Given Friday on May 01, 2018, 09:40:14 pm
Wonder if this job will attract many quality applicants?lived in this area as a young kid always thought it was a nice part of the state.

No it will not

Gray lizard

That is a big surprise.  I thought the program was heading in a good direction.  They have a heck of a group of young athletes in Jr high right now.  They dominated the district track meet.

Any Given Friday

Hopefully they can go out, and find someone who can do more with less.

doggieskoot2

Waldron has had talented Jr high groups come through time after time.  For some reason that don't translate into Sr High.  For some reason they go different directions.   The district is spread out all over the place I guess could be one reason.  One thing for sure they have nice facilities.

RZback

So the coach just got out of coaching? 

Trojanbird

In that area I think the Subiaco coach/AD is always available!   Of course if the money is right.

PrivateLesson

May 03, 2018, 03:04:25 pm #15 Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:40:59 pm by PrivateLesson
Quote from: Any Given Friday on May 01, 2018, 09:40:14 pm

I wouldn't see why the position wouldn't attract quality Coaches.   

Some speculated on here that Waldron wouldn't break their losing streak or be able to hire Coach May but they did.   

Anything can happen.

PrivateLesson

nastynice

Quote from: PrivateLesson on May 03, 2018, 03:05:59 pm
Thank you.   I had heard one made a Coach, wasn't sure of the name.

Both are coaches. Cory will most likely be at Waldron next year and his brother Ryan has been coaching at Magazine last couple years.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: nastynice on May 03, 2018, 05:27:21 pm
Both are coaches. Cory will most likely be at Waldron next year and his brother Ryan has been coaching at Magazine last couple years.
Thanks, Nasty.    I am assuming he might become an assistant coach or is/has he applied for the HC?

BlueBass

I imagine Cory will just be an assistant. Be good for him to get a few years under his belt.

RZback

Program had done a little better the last couple years.  I wonder if the coach just saw he had maxed out and decided to go back to Booneville.  I hear he is new A.D. there but was he tired of coaching?

BlueBass

Redlinebacker32

Better paying job and better for his family. His wife is a successful teacher and cheerleading coach in Booneville. Hopefully, Waldron can find the right guy to build upon the foundation that Coach May has laid.

Pat Swilling

Maybe Waldron can land an assistant from the Fort Smith area?

BlueBass

Was told DC from DeQueen has applied. Don't know much about him, but had a big turn around this last year.

Any Given Friday

DC at DeQueen would be a home run for school like Waldron. I had DeQueen listed on another post as a team with a giant turn around in 1 years time. 

doggieskoot2

My rank:
1. Cody (Atkins)  6 wins next year
2. Hutson (Paris) 5 wins next year
3. OC DeQueen 4 wins next year

4 wins are built into the schedule.

BlueBass

Man you would think hutson could atleast get us 7 lol

Redlinebacker32

What are these coaches offensive and defensive schemes? What will they try to implement? Coach May is still coaching up the players at Waldron until his contract is up. They're starting spring ball today, and will be running the same schemes.

Gray lizard

Quote from: doggieskoot2 on May 07, 2018, 11:23:54 am
My rank:
1. Cody (Atkins)  6 wins next year
2. Hutson (Paris) 5 wins next year
3. OC DeQueen 4 wins next year

4 wins are built into the schedule.

So who are the built in 4 wins?
I think they could get 7 if things go well.  I also think they could end with 3 if thins do not.

doggieskoot2

@ Mansfield (Mansfield, AR)    Win 1

Paris (Paris, AR)                     Win 2

@ Danville (Danville, AR)       50/50 win

Elkins (Elkins, AR) *               50/50 win

@ Dardanelle (Dardanelle, AR) *  Loss

Pottsville (Pottsville, AR) *           Loss

Subiaco Academy (Subiaco, AR) *  Win 3

@ Mena (Mena, AR)                     Loss

Ozark (Ozark, AR) *                    Loss

@ Dover (Dover, AR) *              50/50 win

So there is 3 wins and 3 50/50 games.    4 losses

A monkey could win the 3 games.  Coach makes up the 50/50 games.   Bear Bryant couldn't beat the other 4.

HSFBF

May 07, 2018, 01:31:16 pm #31 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:31:07 pm by HSFBF
Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on May 07, 2018, 01:00:23 pm
What are these coaches offensive and defensive schemes? What will they try to implement? Coach May is still coaching up the players at Waldron until his contract is up. They're starting spring ball today, and will be running the same schemes.
A variety of schemes from what I hear, especially two of the HC applicants.

BlueBass

Looking at Hutsons record his wins have been trending down. 4 wins last year 7 wins is best season in last 6 years.

HSFBF

Quote from: BlueBass on May 07, 2018, 05:13:08 pm
Looking at Hutsons record his wins have been trending down. 4 wins last year 7 wins is best season in last 6 years.
Hard to win with 22 -24 players out and  a lack of talent and early season athlete losses from injuries. Starting inexperienced 10th graders is difficult. You see a lot of that in 2A and 3A ball.

BlueBass

Waldron needs to find the guy who can win with less athletic kids find the guy who has shown he can do a lot with a little.

x14113

How involved was May in youth-level play? That solid bunch of rising 8G'ers would've been in 4G his first season...

whippersnapper

Lets be honest...its waldron and in one bad moment waldron could regress back to 0-10. May just simply wasnt there long enough to lay a solid foundation.  I dont wish that on them but it could happen. This is now makes the 2nd time that May has left Waldron for booneville correct me if i am wrong. Waldron needs someone that will stay in Waldron. Wants to truly be there. I think May had the right idea in running the Wing T/option type offense. Youre not going to get many 4.7s and 4.6s kids but you can get 3 to 4 yards a carry and milk the clock.

Trojanbird

Quote from: BlueBass on May 07, 2018, 08:38:33 pm
Waldron needs to find the guy who can win with less athletic kids find the guy who has shown he can do a lot with a little.
Everyone's dream coach!  Sounds to me like a Subiaco type situation.  Good luck with that.

Redlinebacker32

Waldron has the athletes. They were district champs in track the past two years. Its an issue of getting those athletes out on the field. Hard to do that if the culture has been down for so long. Watched the first day of spring ball today, and saw a few guys who have made leaps and bounds from last year. I hope they find the right guy for the job and the players buy in.

x14113

Related question:

Would anyone from the Rippy-Hyatt-Rust coaching tree have any interest?

nastynice

Quote from: x14113 on May 08, 2018, 02:37:16 am
Related question:

Would anyone from the Rippy-Hyatt-Rust coaching tree have any interest?

Two have been at Waldron already. Mann and May. There are several spread out around the state, but I doubt they'd want to go to Waldron.....Now that Booneville is in 3a for possibly a long time, some could be interested.

Fullbacktrap75

Saw DC from DeQueen mentioned I got to know him last year at Sheridan I know he was at McGehee for 5 or 6 years before that. Their head coach is one of biggest wing T coaches in the state he learned from Frank Mclellan. Kids loved him full of energy. Biggest draw to me would be his son freakishly big athletic kid I think he will be in 8th grade not 100% sure.

leopardsman22

I would really hate to lose our DC selfishly I hope he stays here at DeQueen, but our school under pays coaches, under staffed, and facilities in need of major upgrades. Watching him run practices, and game calling I knew it was going to be hard to keep a coach of his caliber in DeQueen. Our team is 70-80% Hispanic, and is by far less athletic then every team we play plus most of our kids didn't grow up playing the game. The changes we had this year was phenomenal. FBTrap his son is in going into the 7th grade, and is an animal.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on May 08, 2018, 12:06:04 am
Waldron has the athletes. They were district champs in track the past two years. Its an issue of getting those athletes out on the field. Hard to do that if the culture has been down for so long. Watched the first day of spring ball today, and saw a few guys who have made leaps and bounds from last year. I hope they find the right guy for the job and the players buy in.
I hope they do too.   

PrivateLesson

Quote from: whippersnapper on May 07, 2018, 09:45:02 pm
Lets be honest...its waldron and in one bad moment waldron could regress back to 0-10. May just simply wasnt there long enough to lay a solid foundation.  I dont wish that on them but it could happen. This is now makes the 2nd time that May has left Waldron for booneville correct me if i am wrong. Waldron needs someone that will stay in Waldron. Wants to truly be there. I think May had the right idea in running the Wing T/option type offense. Youre not going to get many 4.7s and 4.6s kids but you can get 3 to 4 yards a carry and milk the clock.

They could very well regress....especially with more than one coach leaving from what I understand.   

BlueBass

Anyone heard when they will start interviews?

Gray lizard

Quote from: whippersnapper on May 07, 2018, 09:45:02 pm

They got two or three boys in Jr high that can run that right now.  The way they dominated the jr 4-4a district track meet don't think they do not have any talent coming up.

purpleswag

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 08, 2018, 11:05:20 am
They got two or three boys in Jr high that can run that right now.  The way they dominated the jr 4-4a district track meet don't think they do not have any talent coming up.

No

7AFball

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 08, 2018, 11:05:20 am
Speed alone does not guarantee one to be a good football player. Need to be able to take a hit, avoid tacklers, run over someone if necessary, catch a football, carry out fakes, perhaps know how to throw a pass if a running back using a throw back, etc etc. Many fast guys do not even go out for football or basketball in the 2A and 3A arenas. Lot of students have to work after school or have demanding girlfriends. LOL
:-\

Gray lizard

Quote from: purpleswag on May 08, 2018, 11:10:37 am
No

Here are the district 100 times for their 4 boys 11.29, 11.70, 12.09, 12.38.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas