• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hope Head Coach

Started by RabidWolf, April 18, 2018, 12:23:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DQLeopard

May 17, 2018, 12:15:36 pm #100 Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:19:34 pm by DQLeopard
Quote from: JessieP on May 17, 2018, 12:04:42 pm
Wrong Wrong Wrong. You would do that if your ONLY interest was serving the QB (likely your son), you set up a system and train your players to execute that system. If you change everything to suit one player and said player tears an acl week 2 your season is over. If you run your system and have indoctrinated your players, if your qb goes down you point to the next one on the bench and keep playing. A coaches job is to run the system he knows best. You NEVER change it up to suit one player, that is guaranteed failure.
Bill Belichick would strongly disagree.  By your logic you are just gonna run the same system and plays over and over for years.  A coaches job is to not run the system he knows best.  A coaches job is to get the most out of his players and win games.  If that requires changing your system then you do it.  Have you seen coaches switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 every few years to fit their teams needs?

scrapdig

Wrong Wrong Wrong. You would do that if your ONLY interest was serving the QB (likely your son), you set up a system and train your players to execute that system. If you change everything to suit one player and said player tears an acl week 2 your season is over. If you run your system and have indoctrinated your players, if your qb goes down you point to the next one on the bench and keep playing. A coaches job is to run the system he knows best. You NEVER change it up to suit one player, that is guaranteed failure.
This is really caveman thinking here.  A coaches job is to run the system he knows best?  You NEVER change it up to suit one player?  If I am a passing spread team and I have DMAC im probably all the sudden gonna change some stuff up and not pass as much.  You adapt your scheme to your players not your players to your scheme. Same goes for basketball. 

DQLeopard

May 17, 2018, 12:45:55 pm #102 Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:47:35 pm by DQLeopard
Different philosophies.  Both can be successful.  I don't think a team should be changing their whole philosophy every year or anything like that.  But I do think tweaks need to be made often.  I actually see this being more of a problem in basketball. 

JessieP

Quote from: DQLeopard on May 17, 2018, 12:15:36 pm
Bill Belichick would strongly disagree.  By your logic you are just gonna run the same system and plays over and over for years.  A coaches job is to not run the system he knows best.  A coaches job is to get the most out of his players and win games.  If that requires changing your system then you do it.  Have you seen coaches switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 every few years to fit their teams needs?

Horrible example, horrible. Switching from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 is like an Orthopedic surgeon switching from an acl to an mcl repair. Switching from a wishbone to pro-style offense would be like asking the Orthopedic surgeon to switch from acl surgery to open heart surgery. In theory they are supposed to have a basic knowledge of both but it's a massive change. It would take far longer to master then you could do in one season to placate a standout player. 

DQLeopard

May 17, 2018, 01:37:33 pm #104 Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:39:19 pm by DQLeopard
Quote from: JessieP on May 17, 2018, 01:06:28 pm
Horrible example, horrible. Switching from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 is like an Orthopedic surgeon switching from an acl to an mcl repair. Switching from a wishbone to pro-style offense would be like asking the Orthopedic surgeon to switch from acl surgery to open heart surgery. In theory they are supposed to have a basic knowledge of both but it's a massive change. It would take far longer to master then you could do in one season to placate a standout player.
Pretty good analogy.  I guess I just like to see a team who can go under center and shotgun and tweak things year in and year out based on players.  It drives me crazy to watch these teams who refuse to take a snap under center or refuse to go shotgun every now and then. 

scrapdig

Quote from: JessieP on May 17, 2018, 01:06:28 pm
You still keep running those same plays year end and year out and not adapting coach.  I'm sure you are very mediocre.

FootballFever

It's not lazy coaching, it's running & teaching what you know & believe in.  Successful programs don't change schemes to fit players.  They teach their players their scheme & coach them to be good at it.  I will say it again, look at successful programs in this state & they DO NOT change their schemes every couple of years.  They teach their schemes & they coach their kids up to be good at it! 

DQLeopard

Pro style vs wish bone is a bad analogy and probably too big of a change yea.  I am mainly talking about tweaking things here and there.  Here are the most important factors I think a coach can have starting with most important:

1.  Realtionships with players

2.  Weight program/Nutrition

3.  Scheme

JessieP

Quote from: FootballFever on May 17, 2018, 02:12:40 pm
It's not lazy coaching, it's running & teaching what you know & believe in.  Successful programs don't change schemes to fit players.  They teach their players their scheme & coach them to be good at it.  I will say it again, look at successful programs in this state & they DO NOT change their schemes every couple of years.  They teach their schemes & they coach their kids up to be good at it!

Bingo! You win the debate. Perfect response. A good coach would never change his philosophy because of a single gifted player. An athlete is an athlete, a good coach will make him adapt to the teams style and prosper.

Iknewthemwhen

A good coach doesn't run a system that has no diversity in it to begin with.  The system has to be adaptable and the coach has to know how to make that work within his scheme. 

RabidWolf

Let's look at Georgia Tech. Several years ago, they had Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas at WR...guess what...ran the option!

scrapdig

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on May 17, 2018, 09:45:21 pm
A good coach doesn't run a system that has no diversity in it to begin with.  The system has to be adaptable and the coach has to know how to make that work within his scheme.
Very true

purpleswag

Quote from: RabidWolf on May 17, 2018, 10:02:15 pm
Let's look at Georgia Tech. Several years ago, they had Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas at WR...guess what...ran the option!

IDK about the second one but Calvin Johnson didn't play for Paul Johnson. He was there before with the previous coach that ran the spread

scrapdig

Quote from: RabidWolf on May 17, 2018, 10:02:15 pm
He he got those two to go to school there I will never know

Overdahill

Quote from: scrapdig on May 18, 2018, 08:40:38 am
He he got those two to go to school there I will never know

I saw GT play at Duke one of those years. GT still threw the ball deep to their tall athlete wide receiver a couple of times a game out of the option. That combo wreaked havoc on the D

SUGARTOWN

Ken Hatfield agrees with you. He turned away Troy Aikman out of high school because he wouldn't change from an option offense.

Whoops.

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 18, 2018, 08:48:11 am
Ken Hatfield agrees with you. He turned away Troy Aikman out of high school because he wouldn't change from an option offense.

Whoops.

It depends on the coaches objective. If his objective is to move Heaven and Earth to get one player to the NFL than yes, change it all. If he is comfortable with sacrificing wins and the football experience for every other player on the team than yes, change it all. If a coach wakes up every day and say's "I'm gonna make this kid a superstar, the other 79 kids can kiss my hairy butt, than yes change it up". Troy hated the Oklahoma offense, he has often said the broken ankle was a blessing. UCLA under Donahue ran a straight "under center drop back" pro style offense. Troy prospered at UCLA. UCLA was not an elite program, sure they beat Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl but everyone beat Arkansas in big games. My point is that neither Oklahoma or UCLA changed what they do to placate Troy, my point proven.

footballfan-tastic

If you are a dominant run team is it really that hard to add to your passing game if you get lucky with a super passing QB?

JessieP

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on May 18, 2018, 12:02:34 pm
If you are a dominant run team is it really that hard to add to your passing game if you get lucky with a super passing QB?

If you're a traditional passing dominant team adding a stud running back is a cherry on top. It adds another dimension, it opens up the offense even more. If you run a triple option or flexbone type offense adding a pure drop back passer is a massive switch. In an offense like Wynne's the pass is an after though, if you do something that rarely it's almost never a go-to option. That door swings both ways, look at PA 2 years ago. They had a running back that was like 5'5, 130lbs. He was very very effective, the offensive scheme spread the defense and opened up huge running lanes. PA's O-line scared no one, GCT would have controlled them at the LOS. In that offense they were world beaters. It's the system much more than the players.   

scrapdig

Quote from: JessieP on May 18, 2018, 12:51:44 pm
If you're a traditional passing dominant team adding a stud running back is a cherry on top. It adds another dimension, it opens up the offense even more. If you run a triple option or flexbone type offense adding a pure drop back passer is a massive switch. In an offense like Wynne's the pass is an after though, if you do something that rarely it's almost never a go-to option. That door swings both ways, look at PA 2 years ago. They had a running back that was like 5'5, 130lbs. He was very very effective, the offensive scheme spread the defense and opened up huge running lanes. PA's O-line scared no one, GCT would have controlled them at the LOS. In that offense they were world beaters. It's the system much more than the players.
Was the pass even an after thought when the had Ross Trail a few years ago who played D1 QB?  Did they run the same offense with him?

JessieP

Quote from: scrapdig on May 18, 2018, 01:37:34 pm
Was the pass even an after thought when the had Ross Trail a few years ago who played D1 QB?  Did they run the same offense with him?

No they did not.

Iknewthemwhen

A run dominant offense only has to make sure they have a playaction pass game off every play series and a little bit of a short game.  A pass dominant team, depending on how little run game they have is in trouble if it cannot run the ball at all and the opponent can play defense because they can go to a 3 man rush, play man or combo and double the stud receiver.  It really is about diversity, balance for a really good team.

Hoghead2

Quote from: scrapdig on May 17, 2018, 01:48:37 pm
You still keep running those same plays year end and year out and not adapting coach.  I'm sure you are very mediocre.
PA runs the same plays year end and year out. Nobody in the State has beat them in 4 years. Wynne ran Trap 27 down the 5A East opponents throat forever. Nobody could stop it.

JessieP

Quote from: Hoghead2 on May 20, 2018, 05:04:55 pm
PA runs the same plays year end and year out. Nobody in the State has beat them in 4 years. Wynne ran Trap 27 down the 5A East opponents throat forever. Nobody could stop it.

Some people could stop it, those dastardly orange and black wearing bullies stopped it more often than not. But yes, your point is correct. Why would any coach adjust a system that works. 

SCHawg

Quote from: Hoghead2 on May 20, 2018, 05:04:55 pm
Wrong.  PA puts in different plays every year.  Sure they keep the same ones too.  But if one coach is gonna adapt its Kelley.

Hoghead2

Quote from: SCHawg on May 21, 2018, 10:07:29 am
Wrong.  PA puts in different plays every year.  Sure they keep the same ones too.  But if one coach is gonna adapt its Kelley.
Make up your mind LOL  ? Sure he adapts. But PA has money plays. Every coach does. If they work and people have trouble stopping it. Coaches will run it down your throat. Washington Redskins vaunted Counter Tre', Oklahoma and the counter option,  Wynne and Trap 27. If you can't stop it, get ready it's coming again.

tmycjy

Hey I got a question who is your new head coach and what offense and defense formations dose he run

Bruin Backer

Some teams will run certain plays regardless of what defense the opponent is playing. This works well until you play against a defense that can stop your favorite plays. Other teams will run certain plays because of the defensive that is being played. If a defensive stacks the LOS to absolutely stop all running plays, they will probably be vulnerable to the pass. Have eight players defending the pass, and even average running teams will have success. This is the PA example JessieP was talking about. Against a three man rush, the "Pocket Rocket" as Steve Sullivan called him, would get the ball up the middle and might not make contact with a defensive player until he was 10-15 yards down the field. With his speed and agility, he turned those first ten yards into TD's.

I'm not sure it is accurate to say that a team like PA has "plays" in the traditional sense of the word. Regardless of the "play" called, what happens after the ball is snapped is based on reads by the QB and receivers. A specific formation may be called based on Kelly's idea of what defense will be played. The "play" may simply be "drop back pass". The actual routes the receivers run depends on the movements in the secondary. On running plays, the OL may simply screen the DL, or push him where he wants to go. The RB then runs wherever the defense ain't. Good teams have size, power and speed. Great teams add a measure of finesse. This is what gives them the balance they need to win. Winners simply take what the other team gives them.

Hoghead2

Quote from: tmycjy on May 22, 2018, 11:31:20 am
Hey I got a question who is your new head coach and what offense and defense formations dose he run
Coach Phillip Turner he's a former Hope Bobcat player and Henderson St. Grad. He was the OC at Ashdown. Not sure what O  or D he'll run.

Hoghead2

Quote from: JessieP on May 18, 2018, 10:40:14 am
It depends on the coaches objective. If his objective is to move Heaven and Earth to get one player to the NFL than yes, change it all. If he is comfortable with sacrificing wins and the football experience for every other player on the team than yes, change it all. If a coach wakes up every day and say's "I'm gonna make this kid a superstar, the other 79 kids can kiss my hairy butt, than yes change it up". Troy hated the Oklahoma offense, he has often said the broken ankle was a blessing. UCLA under Donahue ran a straight "under center drop back" pro style offense. Troy prospered at UCLA. UCLA was not an elite program, sure they beat Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl but everyone beat Arkansas in big games. My point is that neither Oklahoma or UCLA changed what they do to placate Troy, my point proven.
UCLA wasn't a elite program?  Compared to Arkansas it is.

JessieP

Quote from: Hoghead2 on May 22, 2018, 01:54:06 pm
UCLA wasn't a elite program?  Compared to Arkansas it is.

That is true. I should have explained better. UCLA of course is an elite program but with Troy they weren't a Fla. St., Miami or Notre Dame (the powerhouses of the 80's). But yes your point is correct, they were/are much more respected than Arkansas.

Hoghead2

Quote from: JessieP on May 22, 2018, 07:54:10 pm
That is true. I should have explained better. UCLA of course is an elite program but with Troy they weren't a Fla. St., Miami or Notre Dame (the powerhouses of the 80's). But yes your point is correct, they were/are much more respected than Arkansas.
UCLA of the 80's won 4 PAC-10 Championships, won 7 straight Bowl Games, won 20 out of 24 games with Aikman as Qb and was ranked in the top 10. Let's  just say they were decent. LOL

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas