• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Payton Brown from Waldron

Started by scrapdig, February 12, 2018, 11:36:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scrapdig

Kid is putting up crazy numbers.  ANyone seen him play?

Neckred

Kid can flat out shoot the rock.  Little surprising he has big D1 schools looking at him though because he lacks hops and quickness IMO.  But I guess when you are dropping 50 as a soph they are gonna look at you. 

Gray lizard

Look forward to seeing him play tonight. What # does he wear?

Neckred

Quote from: Gray lizard on February 12, 2018, 02:00:15 pm
Look forward to seeing him play tonight. What # does he wear?
Can't remember.  He will be the really cocky kid in warmups

(((Subi2Sweet)))

J12

No way a dig at Waldron or him, but is he all they have? They got the last place seed for district.

Basketball13

Quote from: J12 on February 12, 2018, 02:24:15 pm
No way a dig at Waldron or him, but is he all they have? They got the last place seed for district.

For the most part yes.. if he isn't scoring it's probably going to be a long night for Waldron.

pridgehog

I feel really sad for this kid because his season will end in a blowout loss tonight.

Forest64

Think it's more of a coaching problem, lets the Brown kid take over.  Cares more about breaking records and Twitter attention than on winning games and playing as team. Hear OSU coming to watch Brown play against Pottsville tonight.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: pridgehog on February 12, 2018, 03:17:01 pm
I feel really sad for this kid because his season will end in a blowout loss tonight.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Waldron played a much harder conference schedule then Pottsville.

J12

Payton has scored more than anyone in 4A. Averaging more than Felts at Westside. But the records of their respective teams should speak volumes.

J12

Waldron losing 25-8. So. There's that

(((Subi2Sweet)))

I remember a team being down 28 to 3 in the 3rd and coming back to win...

HorseFeathers

47-16 at the half...

Brown seeing box and 1/triangle and 2 with both being on him....he's chosen to go 1 on 5 a couple times instead of kick it out or any other decision too.

J12

He's only a sophomore but not a great look that his team is getting thumped like this.

HorseFeathers

Eaglehawk535

Dogrunner92

He is not the only talent on the team. I'm not saying the boy isn't talented, but he would be eaten alive on a different team. It's easy to score points when he is the only player with the ball. If he would learn how to be a team player and pass the ball, the team would've had a much better season.It is sad to see the other talent wasted, due to a coach that hammers only one play into the team's head. That play is known as, "give PB the ball".

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Dogrunner92 on February 12, 2018, 06:50:08 pm
He is not the only talent on the team. I'm not saying the boy isn't talented, but he would be eaten alive on a different team. It's easy to score points when he is the only player with the ball. If he would learn how to be a team player and pass the ball, the team would've had a much better season.It is sad to see the other talent wasted, due to a coach that hammers only one play into the team's head. That play is known as, "give PB the ball".

Had a teammate the looked like he could shoot the 3 some....

Dogrunner92

I should rephrase...there was talent until Waldron coach gave up coaching for social media. When a coach spends all his time promoting one player, the rest of the team is beat down, and a team that is beat down, does not win games.

Eaglehawk535

Not to be mean. The kids got scoring ability but there is NO WAY he can play at D1 level. He may score 40 off 30 shots a game and shoot a very high percentage from the free throw line but if he was really that good why were they the 8 seed going into their district tournament. May be a good player for college of the Ozark. The coach has made it all about him. People are glad they are done  for the year...

Sigmund Sauer

Still not sure how Waldron beat Subi,? Bulldogs took another serious thumping tonight.

J12

Want to see if other kids play their best when the "best" player is out there. If they Elevate others games. Doesn't seem that way here.

Sigmund Sauer

February 12, 2018, 08:38:30 pm #23 Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:46:02 pm by Sigmund Sauer
Pottsville defense is pretty impressive. Brown seemed to call for the ball a lot and the other players kept trying to get it to him. They didn't seem to know what to do otherwise. He threw up a bunch of crazy shots and nba range 3's that wouldn't fall. He did nearly sink a half court shot before the halftime buzzer. UALR recruiters sat and visited with his folks. Good player and probably best on his team, but far from the most talented kid on the court tonight.

1-Adam-12

No question Brown is the best player on the team. They had some other talent; Williams is darn good too.

Waldron has a legit good junior high group coming up that was 17-6, all losses to Ozark and all within 5.  One would hope that Brown would mesh with this group and whatever else they have coming back and they will have better success next year.

While Waldron was 7-7 in the combined, six of them were over 3A teams that were mediocre at best. The other was Subi, when Brown had the game of his life, and the Trojans got their revenge. 

Ozark and Charleston beat them twice and Booneville beat them three times (one in a tournament); all Bearcat wins were by double figures.  And West Fork beat them by 13 on a neutral court.  That's why Waldron was the 8 seed.

Gray lizard

I did not see anything to impress me about this player.  Next level player would create his shot.  I hate it for the kid if he had college personal there to watch him. What I saw was a team that did play as one.  Good thing is he has a couple years to work on better team play.

Neckred

Quote from: Forest64 on February 12, 2018, 03:45:09 pm
Think it's more of a coaching problem, lets the Brown kid take over.  Cares more about breaking records and Twitter attention than on winning games and playing as team. Hear OSU coming to watch Brown play against Pottsville tonight.
LOL dude from what I saw if they didn't have Brown they would be worst team in the state.  He has to take over

Neckred

Quote from: Dogrunner92 on February 12, 2018, 06:50:08 pm
Some say the same about Trae Young and they are wrong.  Brown should get 70 percent of the shots on that team.

Neckred

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on February 12, 2018, 08:38:30 pm
Pottsville defense is pretty impressive. Brown seemed to call for the ball a lot and the other players kept trying to get it to him. They didn't seem to know what to do otherwise. He threw up a bunch of crazy shots and nba range 3's that wouldn't fall. He did nearly sink a half court shot before the halftime buzzer. UALR recruiters sat and visited with his folks. Good player and probably best on his team, but far from the most talented kid on the court tonight.
Probably best on his team?  Are you guys this jealous of the kid?  WTH

Neckred

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on February 12, 2018, 09:31:00 pm
No question Brown is the best player on the team. They had some other talent; Williams is darn good too.

Waldron has a legit good junior high group coming up that was 17-6, all losses to Ozark and all within 5.  One would hope that Brown would mesh with this group and whatever else they have coming back and they will have better success next year.

While Waldron was 7-7 in the combined, six of them were over 3A teams that were mediocre at best. The other was Subi, when Brown had the game of his life, and the Trojans got their revenge. 

Ozark and Charleston beat them twice and Booneville beat them three times (one in a tournament); all Bearcat wins were by double figures.  And West Fork beat them by 13 on a neutral court.  That's why Waldron was the 8 seed.
They played Ozark 6 times?

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: Neckred on February 13, 2018, 09:13:15 am
Probably best on his team?  Are you guys this jealous of the kid?  WTH
Well, his passing game wasn't too sharp, almost like he hadn't done it much. Actually, there was a nonstarter that came in and looked much sharper than Brown in the last period. I can't remember his number and I realize it was against Apaches remaining bench, but I thought he should've gotten more playtime.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on February 13, 2018, 09:34:32 am
Well, his passing game wasn't too sharp, almost like he hadn't done it much. Actually, there was a nonstarter that came in and looked much sharper than Brown in the last period. I can't remember his number and I realize it was against Apaches remaining bench, but I thought he should've gotten more playtime.
So a kid off the bench in the 4th looks better than a kid playing the whole game basically being manned up the entire time? Great commentary John Madden.

Sigmund Sauer

Don't be bottom injured just because your coaching staff couldn't make adjustments to stop a one man team from scoring 56 on you subisweat.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on February 13, 2018, 09:43:45 am
Don't be bottom injured just because your coaching staff couldn't make adjustments to stop a one man team from scoring 56 on you subisweat.
Well Freud, I am sure you are aware that when you travel and play teams on the road sometimes calls do not go your way. And then you compound that with a kid that has the capability as Brown does and it adds to a loss. Now, do you really want to attack Subiaco's coaching staff? Because if you do I question your knowledge of River Valley basketball.

Sigmund Sauer

You were so much more pleasant in the beginning of the season. I can't imagine why.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Neckred

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Neckred on February 13, 2018, 09:56:05 am
So is this kid a D1 player?
As a sophomore, he is not. It will be fun to watch him over the next two years and see his game grow. But as a sophomore, I think he has the ability to play after high school. D2, Juco, NAIA... just remember he is 15 or 16 right now. 

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on February 13, 2018, 09:55:58 am
You were so much more pleasant in the beginning of the season. I can't imagine why.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Haha very true. Ready for Subi to play Dardanelle tonight. Really destroyed them very early in the season and I am sure that they have gotten better since. Not sure what to expect from Booneville and West Fork tonight.

Neckred

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on February 13, 2018, 10:03:39 am
As a sophomore, he is not. It will be fun to watch him over the next two years and see his game grow. But as a sophomore, I think he has the ability to play after high school. D2, Juco, NAIA... just remember he is 15 or 16 right now.
That is what I thought from the one time I saw him but then I saw he got an Arkansas visit and Okie St came to watch him practice.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: Neckred on February 13, 2018, 10:06:51 am
That is what I thought from the one time I saw him but then I saw he got an Arkansas visit and Okie St came to watch him practice.
He put up the numbers to deserve them to look at him. I wonder if they did a shootaround workout of just him for the coaches, or if they just watched practice.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Neckred on February 13, 2018, 09:14:49 am
They played Ozark 6 times?

From what I understand, twice in regular season, once in district tournament and three times in other tournaments.

Dogrunner92

So Neckred, as a coach you would choose to focus on a single player and not develop the rest of the team? I always heard putting your eggs in one basket was a bad idea. If you leave the rest of the team high and dry, what happens when your star gets in foul trouble or injured? I'm curious how many times you have seen Brown play. Except for low scoring last night, the rest of his game was about on par for season.

J12

Once again - a great player elevates their teammates. Before bashing the kid, I would wait and see how he progresses. Only a sophomore.

ISU7

Quote from: J12 on February 13, 2018, 11:27:28 am
Once again - a great player elevates their teammates. Before bashing the kid, I would wait and see how he progresses. Only a sophomore.
+1

Neckred

Quote from: Dogrunner92 on February 13, 2018, 10:34:13 am

So Neckred, as a coach you would choose to focus on a single player and not develop the rest of the team? I always heard putting your eggs in one basket was a bad idea. If you leave the rest of the team high and dry, what happens when your star gets in foul trouble or injured? I'm curious how many times you have seen Brown play. Except for low scoring last night, the rest of his game was about on par for season.
You develop players in practice and in the offseason.  If one player is that much better than everyone else by the time games roll around that is the other players problem.  It's called role players. 

Neckred

So last year in junior high Waldron wins over 20 games with Brown and then this year in SR High they win over double the amount of games they won last year without him?  But Brown is the problem?  I don't think so boys

HorseFeathers

It is when he chooses to go 1 on 5 like he did multiple times last night and comes up empty.... Wasn't even the high scorer for Waldron

nastynice

Kid is a good shooter. His speed and handle isn't very good. His attitude needs some attention. He's young and has a lot to improve on but I could see him playing for Tech or someone like that. Def not Div 1 at this point. Good ball player though for sure.

Eaglehawk535

Where is Brown transferring to next year?

Neckred

Quote from: nastynice on February 13, 2018, 06:30:24 pm
Kid is a good shooter. His speed and handle isn't very good. His attitude needs some attention. He's young and has a lot to improve on but I could see him playing for Tech or someone like that. Def not Div 1 at this point. Good ball player though for sure.
I agree with all of that.  Very cocky

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas