• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need a history buff

Started by Made, December 12, 2017, 09:11:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Made

Booneville thread got me curious on time lines.

I graduated in 98 so played during the 97 football season. At that time we(fordyce) were in the 7-2a conference that included Nashville Prescott Fountain Lake Fouke Bismarck the rest of the conference escapes me.

At that point in time there were 5 classifications B, 1a, 2a,3a, and 4a. The "a" schools were the only ones with football and the B was for basketball only schools.

Rumor I heard a few years after I graduated the "B" class was offensive so they bumped everyone up a class denoting the 1a as the basketball only schools and eliminating the "B" tag.

At this point were their still only 5 classifications?(it seems like everyone just shot up a class but didn't really change anything)Or did they separate out the top at this time and move to 6 classifications with 5 football classifications. And then it happened again with the top two conferences realigning...

Does anyone know the exact timing on when the classifications were realigned?

4real

School year of 06-07 was first with 7 classifications

Made

What about the shuffle before that when they got rid of class B

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Made on December 13, 2017, 10:50:10 am
What about the shuffle before that when they got rid of class B

HSFBF

I know in the late 50s and into early 1960s, Clarendon was playing football in the B classification. In those days they played Holly Grove on Thanksgiving every year. Then it seems like in the late 60s and no later than early 70s, the Class A included Clarendon for sure. So, not sure unless I get the books out, but that is a LONG time before the late 1990s.. LOL

The big central AR schools and a couple of others during the 60s and 70s went from the Big 5 then 6 and then 7. At that point, divisions also went to A, AA, AAA and AAAA. So that would be 5 overall classifications, leaving out B completely. From there on I have CRS as they say. I know in the 1960s Stuttgart was in IIAA, think there were 4 divisions within AA then, I thru IV....
HSFBF    Merry Christmas all on the FF boards.  :D

HorseFeathers

Quote from: HSFBF on December 17, 2017, 11:01:26 am
I know in the late 50s and into early 1960s, Clarendon was playing football in the B classification. In those days they played Holly Grove on Thanksgiving every year. Then it seems like in the late 60s and no later than early 70s, the Class A included Clarendon for sure. So, not sure unless I get the books out, but that is a LONG time before the late 1990s.. LOL

The big central AR schools and a couple of others during the 60s and 70s went from the Big 5 then 6 and then 7. At that point, divisions also went to A, AA, AAA and AAAA. So that would be 5 overall classifications, leaving out B completely. From there on I have CRS as they say. I know in the 1960s Stuttgart was in IIAA, think there were 4 divisions within AA then, I thru IV....
HSFBF    Merry Christmas all on the FF boards.  :D

2001 was last year of class B basketball, 1976 was last year of class B football

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

December 17, 2017, 05:58:33 pm #6 Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:30:31 pm by Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian
2006-2007 they split the top 32 into 16/16...at the same time, they combined the 2A and 3A and split them into 3 classes - 48/48/the rest (the first year I think it was 64 - correction...pretty sure it was 43...no idea why I said 64). I always felt like that was the less smart of the two and the one that, even initially, caused more travel issues.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 17, 2017, 05:58:33 pm
2006-2007 they split the top 32 into 16/16...at the same time, they combined the 2A and 3A and split them into 3 classes - 48/48/the rest (the first year I think it was 64). I always felt like that was the less smart of the two and the one that, even initially, caused more travel issues.

It did.... Even caused 2 seperate conference's to send all they're teams to the playoffs a couple times due to AAA trying to stick with 8 conference's in 2a.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 17, 2017, 07:22:19 pm
It did.... Even caused 2 seperate conference's to send all they're teams to the playoffs a couple times due to AAA trying to stick with 8 conference's in 2a.
I meant 43...I edited it above...no idea why I typed 64

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas