• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next 7A school to split?

Started by friscokid, November 10, 2017, 12:45:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

friscokid

November 10, 2017, 12:45:03 pm Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:49:48 pm by friscokid
With Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville already having split, it's probably time to start looking at who's next.

In NWA it looks like any splitting that'll impact 7A is done for a while. Fayetteville looks locked-in and has no plans to split. Springdale has the two biggest schools in the state right now even with a split and this story mentions a third, smaller (looks 5A at most) high school in the works: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/mar/26/what-s-next-in-career-education-for-nor/

I've read long-term plans of a Bentonville No. 3 in the middle of next decade: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/oct/21/bentonville-school-district-maps-out-fa/?f=latest

Fort Smith has had plans for a third high school in Barling for almost four years but no movement yet: https://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/Fort-Smith-School-Board-Adopts-Master-Plan-a-451196#.WgXxyGhMHYU This could be a game-changer because it could turn two 7A's into three 6A's.

In Central Arkansas, the next candidates for a split are Cabot, Conway and Bryant, but nothing immediate happening. Cabot superintendent addresses the growth here and says CHS still has plenty of room: http://www.cabotschools.org/administration/superintendents-page/blog/post/32/superintendents-blog-what-about-that-second-high-school

I should throw in that any split in CA would be offset by the McClellan/Fair consolidation eventually.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: friscokid on November 10, 2017, 12:45:03 pm
With Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville already having split, it's probably time to start looking at who's next.

In NWA it looks like any splitting that'll impact 7A is done for a while. Fayetteville looks locked-in and has no plans to split. Springdale has the two biggest schools in the state right now even with a split and this story mentions a third, smaller (looks 5A at most) high school in the works: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/mar/26/what-s-next-in-career-education-for-nor/

I've read long-term plans of a Bentonville No. 3 in the middle of next decade: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/oct/21/bentonville-school-district-maps-out-fa/?f=latest

Fort Smith has had plans for a third high school in Barling for almost four years but no movement yet: https://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/Fort-Smith-School-Board-Adopts-Master-Plan-a-451196#.WgXxyGhMHYU This could be a game-changer because it could turn two 7A's into three 6A's.

In Central Arkansas, the next candidates for a split are Cabot, Conway and Bryant, but nothing immediate happening. Cabot superintendent addresses the growth here and says CHS still has plenty of room: http://www.cabotschools.org/administration/superintendents-page/blog/post/32/superintendents-blog-what-about-that-second-high-school

Great links.  Thanks for sharing! 

Okieback

Rogers will be next
Maybe Springdale
Fort smith will add a math hs, and that's it, they didn't start building in time and word is they have forfeited all the donated land that was to become the 3rd "eastside" high school
The "ville will split in 10 years , just wait and see

Air Raider

Cabot needs to split. Instead of building the ninth grade center we should've built another high school. Splitting the school would just provide more opportunities for more students, but nobody here cares about that. The good old boys running the show just want things to stay the same. Besides, if there was two high schools, they would have to hire another football coach. And then everyone will be selling their homes and moving their kids into the zone of the new school. ;)

sevenof400

Conway should have split 20 years ago.  And they still should even today...

beach bum

I believe I saw where Springdale is by percentage the 5th fastest growing "mid sized" city in the whole country. They have to start thinking of a 3rd high school.....

Brian G

Quote from: beach bum on November 12, 2017, 01:21:04 pm
I believe I saw where Springdale is by percentage the 5th fastest growing "mid sized" city in the whole country. They have to start thinking of a 3rd high school.....
They have one but it's the "School of Innovation".  It won't have athletics.  Students there are allowed to play at SD or HB.

Also, they have Shiloh, Haas Hall and another Charter school soon to be open.

I don't believe you will see a "3rd".

gojackets14

Quote from: Okieback on November 11, 2017, 10:20:29 pm
Rogers will be next
Maybe Springdale
Fort smith will add a math hs, and that's it, they didn't start building in time and word is they have forfeited all the donated land that was to become the 3rd "eastside" high school
The "ville will split in 10 years , just wait and see

Like Springdale, Rogers has a "New Technology" High School. It's actually been around for about 5 years. Kids go there but compete for Rogers or Heritage.

High Voltage

Fort Smith needs that third high school. But of course like in years past with any project Fort Smith tends to screw things up whether it be schools or city matters. I hear and I believe someone mentioned above that they forfeited the free land. Crazy, they will never learn. A split in Fort Smith would make NS and SS more competitive as well in 6A.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: High Voltage on November 14, 2017, 07:48:19 am
Fort Smith needs that third high school. But of course like in years past with any project Fort Smith tends to screw things up whether it be schools or city matters. I hear and I believe someone mentioned above that they forfeited the free land. Crazy, they will never learn. A split in Fort Smith would make NS and SS more competitive as well in 6A.
Fort Smith does NOT need a third high school.  Reading the districts own projections there is zero growth in student population for the next 15 years.  The cost of building, maintenance and administration would be a ridiculous waste at this point.  And to somehow integrate high school football in the decision to spend millions on a new high school is laughable.

beach bum

Quote from: B.G. on November 12, 2017, 01:32:08 pm
They have one but it's the "School of Innovation".  It won't have athletics.  Students there are allowed to play at SD or HB.

Also, they have Shiloh, Haas Hall and another Charter school soon to be open.

I don't believe you will see a "3rd".

I am curious to see what Haas Hall has planned moving forward.... That is a school system to keep an eye on in the future. You make a very good point there.

beach bum

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2017, 10:29:09 am
Fort Smith does NOT need a third high school.  Reading the districts own projections there is zero growth in student population for the next 15 years.  The cost of building, maintenance and administration would be a ridiculous waste at this point.  And to somehow integrate high school football in the decision to spend millions on a new high school is laughable.

I totally agree... It actually saddens me to see to slow downfall of Fort Smith when it comes to their population numbers. There is no growth going on there so there definitely will not be a 3rd high school as you said.

friscokid

Quote from: beach bum on November 14, 2017, 10:37:14 am
I totally agree... It actually saddens me to see to slow downfall of Fort Smith when it comes to their population numbers. There is no growth going on there so there definitely will not be a 3rd high school as you said.

Fort Smith is very landlocked, so no growth isn't a surprise. It's hemmed in by Oklahoma, the river, Hackett and Greenwood to the south, and Fort Chaffee. Now that Chaffee is open for development there's an opportunity there, but it'll take years.

Brian G

Fayetteville is also locked.

Elkins, Greenland, Springdale and Farmington all are butted up against.

High Voltage

Not what I said, just said it would help them competition wise. It's a waste to not use something that was free land wise.

beach bum

November 14, 2017, 01:22:35 pm #15 Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:31:06 pm by beach bum
Quote from: B.G. on November 14, 2017, 11:58:48 am
Fayetteville is also locked.

Elkins, Greenland, Springdale and Farmington all are butted up against.

That is the town that intrigues me.... I am seeing a lot of people in their late 20's through their 30's start to buy homes and move into west Fayetteville or Farmington in particular with their families. Its close enough to Fayetteville they like it, but cheaper than living in the heart of Fayetteville. Farmington has the potential to just straight up explode in 15 years depending on if those housing plots popping up in the area of Broyles Rd and then the Rupple Rd future stuff going on. Do you know if those houses will be Fayetteville or Farmington schools? I am pretty sure the ones closer to Broyles are obviously Farmington, but I am assuming the Rupple Rd stuff will barely and mostly be Fayetteville. I have always wanted to see a map of the exact line that separates Fayetteville western district line and Farmington. If I intended on being here long term in NWA then that is probably where I would settle myself.

sevenof400

It is worth noting that it was only within the last few years that Farmington made the jump to 5A.  I suspect it may not be too many cycles before it too jumps to 6A.

friscokid

I've noticed the growth in NWA is uneven. You have schools growing fast, then there are others like Elkins and Greenland just holding steady and Decatur, who can't field a team. What's the story there?

businesstron

Quote from: friscokid on November 14, 2017, 02:43:41 pm
I've noticed the growth in NWA is uneven. You have schools growing fast, then there are others like Elkins and Greenland just holding steady and Decatur, who can't field a team. What's the story there?

I can't speak for Elkins and Greenland but they haven't built too much of anything new in Decatur.  It's a good 15 minute drive on a one lane road from Centerton to get there.   Probably all the stuff that being built in Centerton is limiting growth in Decatur. 

Farmington is like right by Fayettevile so their growth make sense.   

Okieback

Quote from: beach bum on November 14, 2017, 10:37:14 am

Tons of land toward Chaffee, and barling does not have a high school.  One study 2 years ago said there was No need for a third, it said they need a tech/math high school.  All the studies before that showed they did.

Bottom line is if they want to be more competive and actually contend for state titles like they did in the past, the administration needs to invest in the Junior Highs.  Quit expecting those guys to win and develop kids on shoe string/volunteer staffs. Give them the tools they need.

The kids are getting cheated out of the development they need to compete when they get to Southside or Northside as sophomores.

High Voltage

Quote from: Okieback on November 14, 2017, 04:30:53 pm
Tons of land toward Chaffee, and barling does not have a high school.  One study 2 years ago said there was No need for a third, it said they need a tech/math high school.  All the studies before that showed they did.

Bottom line is if they want to be more competive and actually contend for state titles like they did in the past, the administration needs to invest in the Junior Highs.  Quit expecting those guys to win and develop kids on shoe string/volunteer staffs. Give them the tools they need.

The kids are getting cheated out of the development they need to compete when they get to Southside or Northside as sophomores.
+1

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: High Voltage on November 14, 2017, 12:40:08 pm
Not what I said, just said it would help them competition wise. It's a waste to not use something that was free land wise.
No it would be a waste to spend millions upon millions to build and operate a high school you don't need just because the land is free.  The land is a tiny piece of the cost of building a new school complex.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Okieback on November 14, 2017, 04:30:53 pm

Keep in mind too, GW also had an offer for some free land out that way to build another elementary school a few years back, yet the vote failed at a time when the 2 elementary schools were busting at the seams. The school system re-organized it's existing facilities and haven't heard peep since to build a new one. That area is the "battle line" for the FS/GW districts as the area is developed with the neighborhoods touting which school district they offer. I don't think there is a need for a 3rd Eastside HS in FS as well. 

I think Okieback hit on some valid points. It used to be Chaffin, Ramsey, Kimmons & Darby were all pretty tough to beat in Jr High, now not so much in most years. Even if they are, when they get to SS or NS any success they had at that level hasn't translated to success at the varsity level as well.

Wonderdog

Quote from: businesstron on November 14, 2017, 04:28:41 pm
I can't speak for Elkins and Greenland but they haven't built too much of anything new in Decatur.  It's a good 15 minute drive on a one lane road from Centerton to get there.   Probably all the stuff that being built in Centerton is limiting growth in Decatur. 

Farmington is like right by Fayettevile so their growth make sense.
Elkins is growing, they are moving to 4A. Greenland on the other hand has actually lost numbers in enrollment.

High Voltage

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 15, 2017, 09:12:39 am
No it would be a waste to spend millions upon millions to build and operate a high school you don't need just because the land is free.  The land is a tiny piece of the cost of building a new school complex.
Well, Fort Smith is well known for wasting millions due to be incompetent. Just look at the new Baseball/Softball complex!

beach bum

Quote from: High Voltage on November 15, 2017, 02:18:16 pm
Well, Fort Smith is well known for wasting millions due to be incompetent. Just look at the new Baseball/Softball complex!

And the recycling program fiasco they had...

sevenof400

For those not familiar with this (including me), what is the story there? 

High Voltage

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 16, 2017, 07:24:14 am
For those not familiar with this (including me), what is the story there? 
So the city decided to build a new complex, they put out the bids, awarded the bids and the contractors started order and receiving supplies and materials, fencing, lighting, etc. Then the city decided to pull out and left them holding the bag. Now the contractors are suing the city. So basically Fort Smith will have to pay for the complex and more than likely not have it. Fort Smith has screwed up so many opportunities over the years. Jack Mosely here a couple of months back listed them over the years and it is crazy, the biggest being FEDEX. In short, it came down to Fort Smith and Memphis to being the FEDEX main hub due to the central local. FEDEX wanted Fort Smith due to work force at that time (early nineties if I remember correctly) and low crime rate. A bunch of people went to the city council and complained that the noise from the airplanes would be bad and the city voted NO on the plan.

Grishawg

Completely false. It was between Memphis and Little Rock and this went down in the 70's.

AB™

November 16, 2017, 09:05:12 pm #29 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:16:24 pm by AB™
This may be true, but right now Northside is over 100% capacity.  There's only so far down B Street they can go buying buildings to turn into classrooms.  There may not be much projection for growth over the next 15 years, but Northside's enrollment continues to increase and it's turning into a semi-major problem.

It'll be interesting to see what the new superintendent has in the works.  I know there's at least plans to do some major facelifting/renovations to schools.  There's a lot of schools in the district that need a major overhaul.  That may take priority over a third high school.

High Voltage

November 20, 2017, 05:40:45 pm #30 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:42:19 pm by High Voltage
Quote from: Grishawg on November 16, 2017, 07:31:42 pm
Completely false. It was between Memphis and Little Rock and this went down in the 70's.
Yes it is true, I know firsthand. And it happened in 1990.

High Voltage

Quote from: AB™ on November 16, 2017, 09:05:12 pm
This may be true, but right now Northside is over 100% capacity.  There's only so far down B Street they can go buying buildings to turn into classrooms.  There may not be much projection for growth over the next 15 years, but Northside's enrollment continues to increase and it's turning into a semi-major problem.

It'll be interesting to see what the new superintendent has in the works.  I know there's at least plans to do some major facelifting/renovations to schools.  There's a lot of schools in the district that need a major overhaul.  That may take priority over a third high school.
Fort Smith will find a way to screw it up, they always do!

zebradynasty

Quote from: High Voltage on November 20, 2017, 05:40:45 pm
Yes it is true, I know firsthand. And it happened in 1990.

I don't know what hand you are using but it's not accurate just google the history of Fed Ex not a word about Ft Smith. By 1990 Fed Ex was well over a billion dollar company based in Memphis.

http://about.van.fedex.com/our-story/history-timeline/history/

High Voltage

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 20, 2017, 07:23:08 pm
I don't know what hand you are using but it's not accurate just google the history of Fed Ex not a word about Ft Smith. By 1990 Fed Ex was well over a billion dollar company based in Memphis.

http://about.van.fedex.com/our-story/history-timeline/history/
There won't be anything obviously because it didn't happen! Fedex had a huge transition in 88 or 89 by buying another company and they did not and do not like Memphis plus Memphis was not the "Central Hub". The company I was with at the time had a vested interest in this move and it hurt badly. But, no big deal, nothing to argue about. Fort Smith will continue to shoot themselves in the foot, may not be the third school but they will find a way.

Baitshop

Quote from: High Voltage on November 16, 2017, 10:23:46 am
So the city decided to build a new complex, they put out the bids, awarded the bids and the contractors started order and receiving supplies and materials, fencing, lighting, etc. Then the city decided to pull out and left them holding the bag. Now the contractors are suing the city. So basically Fort Smith will have to pay for the complex and more than likely not have it. Fort Smith has screwed up so many opportunities over the years.

Not even remotely accurate....smh

High Voltage

November 21, 2017, 04:32:00 pm #35 Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:39:05 pm by High Voltage
Quote from: Baitshop on November 21, 2017, 12:32:56 pm
http://www.4029tv.com/article/businesses-sue-fort-smith-after-not-being-paid-for-work-at-sports-complex/9258677

Keep shaking your head, maybe your brain will rattle loose and start working. But knowing your history in such matters you will just sit idly by and watch the world go by doing nothing. ;D

friscokid

Sounds to me like Fort Smith just needs to build a bigger and better Northside and call it a day.

High Voltage

Quote from: friscokid on November 21, 2017, 07:54:31 pm
Sounds to me like Fort Smith just needs to build a bigger and better Northside and call it a day.
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner folks!

AB™

Quote from: friscokid on November 21, 2017, 07:54:31 pm
That's all well and good, but where do you propose they do that?

beach bum

Quote from: AB™ on November 22, 2017, 08:26:42 am

Do what most metropolitan areas do that don't have regressive leaders....... And build up.

High Voltage

Quote from: AB™ on November 22, 2017, 08:26:42 am
They really don't have anywhere to go. They could buy some local businesses but I'm sure that would be costly as well. Fort Smith, as referenced above has never thought forward, they always seem to be stuck in the mud, schools and city. Sad part is with it's rich history it should be a city moving forward. I mean think about it, so many schools close by that have better facilities and programs.

incogneto

Bryant splits before 2026.  They are busting at the seams and the keep getting more SW LR transfers every time an apartment complex is built in Bryant. 

Pr8hd

Quote from: Baitshop on November 21, 2017, 12:32:56 pm

From my understanding, it was a couple of people on their own that messed this one up, not the city necessarily. Heck, bad politics and poorly run government aren't limited to FS. I love GW and my city, but it ain't much better than FS at times. GW has been a poster child as well about some of the antics with previous mayors (not including the current one). Plus, GW needs to be more progressive as well. Recently voted down an alcohol ordinance, city has a terrible traffic issue, and our youth sports facilities are a joke compared to other cities esp baseball fields (GW needs the new complex proposed). So, it ain't all roses in my opinion in south Sebastian county.   

My guess is a split would happen in central AR at Conway or Cabot.

High Voltage

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 23, 2017, 09:46:07 am
From my understanding, it was a couple of people on their own that messed this one up, not the city necessarily. Heck, bad politics and poorly run government aren't limited to FS. I love GW and my city, but it ain't much better than FS at times. GW has been a poster child as well about some of the antics with previous mayors (not including the current one). Plus, GW needs to be more progressive as well. Recently voted down an alcohol ordinance, city has a terrible traffic issue, and our youth sports facilities are a joke compared to other cities esp baseball fields (GW needs the new complex proposed). So, it ain't all roses in my opinion in south Sebastian county.   

My guess is a split would happen in central AR at Conway or Cabot.
Well the article kinda sums it up, the contractors are suing the city and now the city is blaming a state senator and another guy (forget his name). The suit against the city is still in the works though. As for Greenwood, could not agree more about the growth and lack of anything to help with that. The alcohol thing mystifies me. The traffic is horrible and to be honest with the way the main avenues into the city are laid out I don't know what they could do. Greenwood is just now finding out about growth and what to do. They should take a page outta Fort Smith's book and do the opposite.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: High Voltage on November 21, 2017, 04:32:00 pm
http://www.4029tv.com/article/businesses-sue-fort-smith-after-not-being-paid-for-work-at-sports-complex/9258677

Keep shaking your head, maybe your brain will rattle loose and start working. But knowing your history in such matters you will just sit idly by and watch the world go by doing nothing. ;D
Your link is correct that some subs weren't paid but that was the result of the mismanagement, not the cause of it.

State Senator jake files and a business partner approached the city about building a new sports complex at Fort Chaffee.  He sold them the idea that for $1.5 million in city money plus donated labor and materials they could build the complex. At completion the city would take over ownership of the facility.  The city agreed and turned the project over to Files and his partner.  The project started out pretty good with the National Guard donating dirt work.  Some fences were built, concession stands etc.  But because of Files other business problems he began missing deadlines and money disappeared.  When it was apparent that Files couldn't complete the project the city pulled out of their agreement with HIM.  Now, of course, construction people are telling the directors it will take $5 million or so to complete the project.  No way they will ever agree to that.  Not while raising water and sewer rates.  So yes, it was a cluster of magnificent proportions but it didn't play out quite like you described.

Grizzlyfan

In fairness, the sports complex was the city of fort smith, not the school district. 

High Voltage

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 02:18:43 pm
Your link is correct that some subs weren't paid but that was the result of the mismanagement, not the cause of it.

State Senator jake files and a business partner approached the city about building a new sports complex at Fort Chaffee.  He sold them the idea that for $1.5 million in city money plus donated labor and materials they could build the complex. At completion the city would take over ownership of the facility.  The city agreed and turned the project over to Files and his partner.  The project started out pretty good with the National Guard donating dirt work.  Some fences were built, concession stands etc.  But because of Files other business problems he began missing deadlines and money disappeared.  When it was apparent that Files couldn't complete the project the city pulled out of their agreement with HIM.  Now, of course, construction people are telling the directors it will take $5 million or so to complete the project.  No way they will ever agree to that.  Not while raising water and sewer rates.  So yes, it was a cluster of magnificent proportions but it didn't play out quite like you described.
The lawsuit is still in progress, so some think it is the city's fault. I really don't know all the in's and out's, but neither do you or anybody else, just the folks involved. It still no matter how you spin it makes the city of Fort Smith look like idiots yet again.

High Voltage

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 02:20:46 pm
In fairness, the sports complex was the city of fort smith, not the school district. 
I never said it was the school system.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: High Voltage on November 28, 2017, 07:55:39 am
The lawsuit is still in progress, so some think it is the city's fault. I really don't know all the in's and out's, but neither do you or anybody else, just the folks involved. It still no matter how you spin it makes the city of Fort Smith look like idiots yet again.
Which lawsuit are you referring to?  Who's suing who?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: High Voltage on November 28, 2017, 07:57:04 am
I never said it was the school system.
You said "Fort Smith" would find a way to "screw it up" referring to a new high school.  The city government of Fort Smith won't decide if we build a new high school.  And the school district didn't get into the sports complex debacle.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas