• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newport at Glen Rose

Started by Navynuke, November 05, 2017, 12:22:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Navynuke

Proud Buckaroo

bootlegger

if newport plays like they did against rivercrest it might be a very good game,but i still pick glen rose.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: bootlegger on November 05, 2017, 02:44:02 pm
if newport plays like they did against rivercrest it might be a very good game,but i still pick glen rose.
If they play like they did against Piggott and Hoxie, Glen Rose wins by mercy rule.

beaverfan007

Gr by 21 don't know much about newport

CoolBreeze

November 05, 2017, 03:38:22 pm #5 Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:43:35 pm by CoolBreeze
Quote from: beaverfan007 on November 05, 2017, 03:32:46 pm
This year's Newport team has been inconsistent. They can beat most anybody, but can also lose to less talented teams. The lost by at least 3 touchdowns to the 2, 3, and 4 seeds from the 3-3A, but dominated Rivercrest (1-seed) for most of the game and held on to win by two touchdowns. They seem to be trending upwards toward the end of the season. Part of this is due to the return of injured players.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: beaverfan007 on November 05, 2017, 03:32:46 pm
Soooooo you just decided 21 without knowing much?

Maynard G Krebs

Bigred18

If Newport returns healthy Newport by 7

SR30

GR has to start better in the 1st quarter or it could be a short playoff run. If they get that corrected they have a solid shot at making it to war memorial.

flow51

Quote from: Oldman on November 05, 2017, 03:40:15 pm
Soooooo you just decided 21 without knowing much?
+1
This kills me...  ;D. Doesn't have a clue about the other team but assumes his beavers win by 21.  ::)

DogCatcher

Hard game to pick because of the way Newport plays. If they play to their potential they can and probably will win this game. Since they have only done this a couple times, GR probably gets the win.

beaverfan007

Are the a spread or option team

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: beaverfan007 on November 05, 2017, 08:14:12 pm
Are the a spread or option team

Neither.

One back, pro-style pocket passing with the power run game.

teh29

I've seen Newport plays 3 times this year. I seen glen rose once last year. My take- yeah I know last year is last year, but GR seems to be close to last year, maybe better. Newport is confusing to me. They start fast. But they don't seem to make any adjustments throughout the game. Against crest they jumped up 28-0.. Should have been 35-0.. And basically held on to win. Against osceola.. Jumped up 14-0.. Only to give up 41 straight. Adjustments throughout the game have to be made or their post season will be short. They are a good team. Plenty of speed and athletes on the field. Truly depends on which team shows up. GR should not overlook this team. They have all the makings of a team that could make a legit run. Imo. . best 5 sees in the playoffs. Period. They won this conference last year. If they show up and play like they are capable and make the proper in game adjustments.. They win this game and make a statement. With that being said.. Ill take GR 35-21.. With Newport taking a 21-7 lead at half. The coaching staff lets this team down by not adjusting throughout the game.. Especially the second half.

ISU7

It will be tough for the Hounds @ GR but as we all kmow anything is possible.
I'll say GR by 13.

Leo Marvin

Quote from: teh29 on November 05, 2017, 09:48:19 pm
I've seen Newport plays 3 times this year. I seen glen rose once last year. My take- yeah I know last year is last year, but GR seems to be close to last year, maybe better. Newport is confusing to me. They start fast. But they don't seem to make any adjustments throughout the game. Against crest they jumped up 28-0.. Should have been 35-0.. And basically held on to win. Against osceola.. Jumped up 14-0.. Only to give up 41 straight. Adjustments throughout the game have to be made or their post season will be short. They are a good team. Plenty of speed and athletes on the field. Truly depends on which team shows up. GR should not overlook this team. They have all the makings of a team that could make a legit run. Imo. . best 5 sees in the playoffs. Period. They won this conference last year. If they show up and play like they are capable and make the proper in game adjustments.. They win this game and make a statement. With that being said.. Ill take GR 35-21.. With Newport taking a 21-7 lead at half. The coaching staff lets this team down by not adjusting throughout the game.. Especially the second half.

Good synopsis of the Greyhounds.  They have opened up the playbook during the season, but they have had trouble executing at times.  Penalties, illegal formations, and bad snaps really slow them down. 

I've watched some video of GR.  They run some pretty complex stuff.  Lack of weak spots seem to be their strength.  They have some linemen that like to get after you.  That could give Newport trouble because the line position is pretty thin. 

One is a five seed and lost three conference games.  The other went through conference undefeated including a victory over the defending state champion.  Probably not the best draw for a one seed, but GR should be a definitive favorite.

theoutsiders

Newport is a lot more athletic than GR. Team speed could get GR in this game, but I think playing assignment football will help GR corral the speed and get the W.

GR by 6.

Oldhound56

teh29 what I have seen is a little different.  Newport lost to Hoxie and played a horrible game.  Dropped wide open passes all night.  Two TD passes, had a td run called back and a run down to the 1 yard line called back.  Also threw a pick in the endzone.  That is not coaching per say.  At Piggott they didn't show up and some of that can be contributed to coaching, but in the end they can only do so much to motivate KIDS.  Played great against Rivercrest, led 28-0 at half and played ground game, ball control the second half to run clock.  Held the ball the last 8:00 of the game with the Colts doing all they could to get it back.  Osceola the Hounds had a chance to be up 21-0 if not for a penalty on their first drive after a pass inside the 2 yd line.  After Osceola scored to make it 14-7 Newport returned the kick inside the 25 yd line only to have it called back by a holding penalty that happened away from the return.  Then fumbled and Osceola scooped and scored.  The Hounds let them back in the game.  They had turnovers in the 2nd half that let the game get away from them and the fact that Osceola is a very good team who took their best shot and responded well. 

Other than the Hoxie, Piggott and 2nd half of Osceola the Hounds have been pretty dominant in all their other games.  Out of Rivercrest, Osceola, and Newport I would also say that the Hounds handled Gosnell, the 3-4A undefeated in conference champions, better than the others.  Only scored 15 pts in that game, but held their offense in check the whole night and I know the coaches felt like they left a couple other scores on the field.

Should be a great game and we are looking forward to the trip.

Go Hounds!

Gr3yhounds

This will be a toss up, Newport is really inconsistent if they play to their full potential they can make it a close one. If Newport plays like they did against Hoxie, or Piggot they'll get mercy ruled. Glen rose is a very consistent football team that is well coached it will be a good game if they play with their full potential.

Leo Marvin

Newport has some playmakers.  I'd like to see them with the ball in space.  I know, easier said than done.  Maybe more motion, jet sweeps, screens, etc.  We didn't attempt a screen pass all year until Rivercrest (that I recall).  Not sure we had ever sent slot in motion for jet sweep until the eighth game of the season.  More moving parts would seem to be an advantage with the speed and lack of size that Newport has.  Newport's defense has been good, but GR will test their pass defense.  For Newport to have success against GR, the offense can't put them in a bad spot.  It will have to be almost error free.

rayzorbackfan

Glen Rose's O line and D line punch Hound's in the face early and force them back into the dog box early for the long trip home...tails tucked. 42-12 BEAVER'S

Oldhound56

I've seen Newport's Offense run screens all year.  They are not the typical show pass and then release linemen downfield type screens.  They have run quick screens to the outside receivers since week one.  They have run screens to the tight end as well and have added a few things in the past 3 or 4 weeks.  I know from watching the games on Channel 15 that they have had several weeks where 5 different receivers have caught passes. 

They have run jet sweep motion for most of the year, but did just in the last 3 weeks start using it to hit outside and to set up things between the tackles.  It seems to be working pretty well.  The offense averages over 30 points a game and the defense gives up less than 19 a game.  That translates to a 7-3 record.

I will say this about the Greyhounds.  On nights when the Defense is good, the Offense is good and vice versa, because it is the SAME guys on both sides of the ball.  Glen Rose may be a 1 seed, but I am a Greyhound tried and true and will always pick them.

I would say like in most cases like you said Leo Marvin, it comes down to execution.  If they can be sharp on both sides of the ball the Hounds have a great chance, but I wouldn't say they have much better athletes than Glen Rose.  They play in an athletic conference and have plenty of playmakers I'm sure.

Anyone know how to get to the field.  Never been there before.

SR30

To get to the field in GR is easy. Get off interstate 30 at the 106mm. Take a left and go back over I30. Hang a right at the stop sign and beaver stadium is about 2 miles down on the right.
Just look for the slow non athletic kids (smh).

Wrestlingbeaver13

November 06, 2017, 09:14:21 am #24 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:17:03 am by Wrestlingbeaver13
What he said ☝️

rayzorbackfan

Quote from: Oldhound56 on November 06, 2017, 08:57:47 am
I've seen Newport's Offense run screens all year.  They are not the typical show pass and then release linemen downfield type screens.  They have run quick screens to the outside receivers since week one.  They have run screens to the tight end as well and have added a few things in the past 3 or 4 weeks.  I know from watching the games on Channel 15 that they have had several weeks where 5 different receivers have caught passes. 

They have run jet sweep motion for most of the year, but did just in the last 3 weeks start using it to hit outside and to set up things between the tackles.  It seems to be working pretty well.  The offense averages over 30 points a game and the defense gives up less than 19 a game.  That translates to a 7-3 record.

I will say this about the Greyhounds.  On nights when the Defense is good, the Offense is good and vice versa, because it is the SAME guys on both sides of the ball.  Glen Rose may be a 1 seed, but I am a Greyhound tried and true and will always pick them.

I would say like in most cases like you said Leo Marvin, it comes down to execution.  If they can be sharp on both sides of the ball the Hounds have a great chance, but I wouldn't say they have much better athletes than Glen Rose.  They play in an athletic conference and have plenty of playmakers I'm sure.

Anyone know how to get to the field.  Never been there before.
From Newport head to I-30 and head west to exit 106 I think, then crossover the interstate to Hwy 67 turn right less than a mile on the right can't miss it.

Leo Marvin

Quote from: Oldhound56 on November 06, 2017, 08:57:47 am

I think the Hounds come out and give it their best shot this week.  Definitely agree with you Oldhound, to insinuate that GR doesn't have athletes is laughable. 

mossflyer

Newport posters are just about as consistent as their team.

ISU7

Quote from: Oldhound56 on November 06, 2017, 07:48:54 am
teh29 what I have seen is a little different.  Newport lost to Hoxie and played a horrible game.  Dropped wide open passes all night.  Two TD passes, had a td run called back and a run down to the 1 yard line called back.  Also threw a pick in the endzone.  That is not coaching per say.  At Piggott they didn't show up and some of that can be contributed to coaching, but in the end they can only do so much to motivate KIDS.  Played great against Rivercrest, led 28-0 at half and played ground game, ball control the second half to run clock.  Held the ball the last 8:00 of the game with the Colts doing all they could to get it back.  Osceola the Hounds had a chance to be up 21-0 if not for a penalty on their first drive after a pass inside the 2 yd line.  After Osceola scored to make it 14-7 Newport returned the kick inside the 25 yd line only to have it called back by a holding penalty that happened away from the return.  Then fumbled and Osceola scooped and scored.  The Hounds let them back in the game.  They had turnovers in the 2nd half that let the game get away from them and the fact that Osceola is a very good team who took their best shot and responded well. 

Other than the Hoxie, Piggott and 2nd half of Osceola the Hounds have been pretty dominant in all their other games.  Out of Rivercrest, Osceola, and Newport I would also say that the Hounds handled Gosnell, the 3-4A undefeated in conference champions, better than the others.  Only scored 15 pts in that game, but held their offense in check the whole night and I know the coaches felt like they left a couple other scores on the field.

Should be a great game and we are looking forward to the trip.

Go Hounds!
Hounds handle Gosnell better!😷 Crest 14 Pirates 7
Hounds 15. Pirates 8 . 7 pt difference......hmmmm!😷

Oldhound56

Hmmmmmmm!  Like I said in the post I wasn't talking about points. If I remember reading correctly Gosnell held Rivercrest to like 91 yards. Rivercrest scores late to beat them.

Newport controlled the game the entire time.  Best of luck in the playoffs. You guys got a great draw and a clear path to the semis I think.

luxora4life

Quote from: Oldhound56 on November 07, 2017, 06:45:12 am
Hmmmmmmm!  Like I said in the post I wasn't talking about points. If I remember reading correctly Gosnell held Rivercrest to like 91 yards. Rivercrest scores late to beat them.

Newport controlled the game the entire time.  Best of luck in the playoffs. You guys got a great draw and a clear path to the semis I think.

Not only was the margin of victory the same, but Gosnell offensive production in both game was just about the same.  Gosnell against Rivercrest:  passing  2-8 - 16 yards 0 TD's and 2 int.  rushing 57-234 - 1 td  longest run - 24 yards.

Gosnell against Newport:  passing 1-7 17 yards - 0 td 0 int.  Rushing 36-220 - 1 td  longest run 83 yards.

Oldhound56

I know we like to look at final numbers.  I also meant Newport had a little more offensive production than Rivercrest against Gosnell's Defense if I read the stats correct.

Also, Gosnell had 57 rushing attempts against Rivercrest and only 36 against Newport.  That tells me Newport's offense was able to control the clock better.  Also, 38% of Gosnell's total rushing came on 1 run. 

It really is 6 one / half a dozen the other.  Both Newport and Rivercrest along with Osceola are all good teams.  The fact that the 3-4A champion would have finished no better than 4th in the 3-3A is pretty telling.  Good Luck to all the 3-3A teams in the playoffs and maybe we will get the chance to play again. 

sprained ankle

Just hope the HOUNDS can compete!

CoolBreeze

Quote from: sprained ankle on November 07, 2017, 12:59:32 pm
Just hope the HOUNDS can compete!
Of course, they CAN. But WILL they. That's the real question.

ISU7

November 08, 2017, 01:35:44 am #34 Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:43:08 am by ISU7
Quote from: Oldhound56 on November 07, 2017, 06:45:12 am

That's the sign of a good team one that could win a conference and probably a #1 seed 🏈 Good luck Hounds @ GR.

Nomad1324

As good as Glen Rose is (and I do think they will win), this was a bad draw for a top seed. Now, Newport has been the Jekyl and Hyde of 3A football this season, so who knows what bunch will show up?

No matter who wins, it should be an interesting match-up with a lot of great athletes on the field.

Head Lion

Doesn't Glen Rose usually cheat????

SR30

What kind of question is that? Please share the info you have that would lead you to say this?

CURLEYWOLF24

Quote from: Head Lion on November 08, 2017, 12:53:17 pm
Doesn't Glen Rose usually cheat????
Didn't hear it from me!  But if you see a little old white man with a long beard wearing the white hat (ref) you might be in for a long night of called back TD's.

Maximus Decimus Meridius

I'm a 3a-3 guy but I've had my fair share of knock down drag outs with GR, and Newport over the last 2-3 years
I'm saying Glen Rose 28 Newport 21, and Newport strikes 1st

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SR30 on November 08, 2017, 01:09:40 pm
What kind of question is that? Please share the info you have that would lead you to say this?
Can you give us some penalty info that disputes it?

SR30

That disputes What? Do you truly believe GR, one of the most hated teams in the state, gets favors from officials?? Our coach was called for pass interference last week for catching an overthrown pass out of bounds, 7 plays with penalties in a row. I could go on and on..

Moose

Quote from: CURLEYWOLF24 on November 08, 2017, 01:26:35 pm
Didn't hear it from me!  But if you see a little old white man with a long beard wearing the white hat (ref) you might be in for a long night of called back TD's.

Or if your tackles try to hip toss their opponents defensive ends and take them to the ground with an arm bar, you might also get a holding call and a TD called back.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SR30 on November 08, 2017, 02:52:31 pm
That disputes What? Do you truly believe GR, one of the most hated teams in the state, gets favors from officials?? Our coach was called for pass interference last week for catching an overthrown pass out of bounds, 7 plays with penalties in a row. I could go on and on..
P.I. on the coach? Cmon man

Moose

Quote from: Oldman on November 08, 2017, 04:08:20 pm
P.I. on the coach? Cmon man

It was a good five yards out of bounds, and I don't think it was actually called on the coach.  He did catch it though.

CURLEYWOLF24

Quote from: Moose on November 08, 2017, 04:06:17 pm
Or if your tackles try to hip toss their opponents defensive ends and take them to the ground with an arm bar, you might also get a holding call and a TD called back.
But if you clearly catch a ball in the endzone it's called an incompletion! But hey, it's ok.... So Newport, you have got to be 21 pts better before you even get off the bus. 

SR30

Nobody else around to call it on. The receiver pulled our defender down by the back of the jersey so I don't think it was on him but hey.. it's GR and we cheat I guess...

CURLEYWOLF24

Quote from: SR30 on November 08, 2017, 04:37:55 pm
Nobody else around to call it on. The receiver pulled our defender down by the back of the jersey so I don't think it was on him but hey.. it's GR and we cheat I guess...
Yep, you said it......

SR30

Yea because the wolves play penalty free ball and it's only illegal to hold and hip toss the DE in Gr.. had it been in Prescott it would have been perfectly legal. Like trapping  ball on a reception ;)

beaverfan007

Prescott fans still mad cause they got there butt beat and the kid was clearly holding because lets face the fact he couldn't hold our de at bay and keep him off the qb

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas