• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morrilton Devil Dogs @ Watson Chapel

Started by the voice, November 05, 2017, 06:33:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

the voice

Morrilton is playing really good now. The dogs although young seem to be peaking at the right time. Criswell is a hoss at QB , he's improving with every snap and that's not good for defenses.

As for WC not sure what to expect, let's hear thoughts on this match up

Yellowcake

Wish I could weigh in intelligently, but have seen neither play. I am just rooting for Morrilton.

PA Dad

I'm picking Morrilton.  I think they're peaking at the right time.  And I think they have played tougher competition.

I know the South posters don't like it, but I think the South is weak this year.  And, of course, the South has a chance to prove me wrong.

Absolut

My initial prediction is WC by 17. As I break down Morrilton video more in depth that line could possibly change, but right now I think WC will pull away in the 2nd half.

redsport27

I want to hear Guv's thoughts.

I haven't seen much of Mo-Town, but I know they are talented. I think it will be an exciting game. Probably fast paced. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a barn burner

the voice

You think they'll handle morrilton that easy?

I think morrilton will be the best team they've played since non conference. You may be right.  But feel like morrilton will be hard to stop. The RPO offense led by Criswell is only getting better. Difficult to stop. He's not Toney Hawkins, but he's only a sophomore and the offense hasn't been this good since .

GuvHog

November 05, 2017, 01:54:10 pm #6 Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:01:19 pm by GuvHog
Watson Chapel's defense is playing extremely well as of late Holding both Lakeside and Camden Fairview to 7 points and this game is at WC so I'll give the Wildcats a slight edge but it'll be close. By the way, the most points the WC starting defense has given up in Conference play this year is 20 points to White hall earlier in the season and White Hall is the 5A South #4 seed.

Morrilton doesn't usually see the type of speed in the 5A West that they will see on both sides of the ball this Friday. Alma was surprised by it last year. A friend of mine from Lakeside said he was shocked by WC's speed and quickness. He said it looked like every time the Rams tried to run outside, there were 2 Wildcats standing their waiting on them.

zebrafan

Quote from: Absolut on November 05, 2017, 12:19:25 pm
My initial prediction is WC by 17. As I break down Morrilton video more in depth that line could possibly change, but right now I think WC will pull away in the 2nd half.
Is this the same DL/OL as early in the year? Or has there been some changes? Haven't seen Chapel since week 2...might check this game out Friday!

Absolut

Quote from: the voice on November 05, 2017, 12:53:05 pm
You think they'll handle morrilton that easy?

I think morrilton will be the best team they've played since non conference. You may be right.  But feel like morrilton will be hard to stop. The RPO offense led by Criswell is only getting better. Difficult to stop. He's not Toney Hawkins, but he's only a sophomore and the offense hasn't been this good since .

I'm do think it will be easy, but I can see WC pulling away late. Listen I have seen some BAD defense from WC in recent years. But this year's new defense under Coach Womble has made me a believer. I was skeptical at first about the defense, but it's clear that the defense is dominant this season.

We've seen a pretty good RPO offense in Class 4A #1 Warren and some random guy named Trelon Burks. WC defense held them to their lowest point total all season (20).

GuvHog

Quote from: zebrafan on November 05, 2017, 02:40:47 pm
Is this the same DL/OL as early in the year? Or has there been some changes? Haven't seen Chapel since week 2...might check this game out Friday!

Against Pine Bluff, they had just gone back to the 4-3 and had a new DC in his second game so they hadn't gotten adjusted yet (not that it would have mattered against the Zebras). They are playing far better now and Sam Womble is a great DC.

Absolut

I really like Coach Womble's fire and intensity while coaching defense. The front 4 really puts a lot of pressure on an offense and we always have the cover corners to play man 2 man coverage. I'm not sure what happened against pb, because i wasn't at that game, but I think it's more mental block against pb at this point than physical.

the voice

Speed may have shocked Alma. Morrilton is known for much if what you're calling a strength for WC.  Maumelle perfect example of loaded speed , they beat Alma. While we controlled them. Perhaps you may be surprised? Maybe

Deuceswild

My opinion rarely matters but here's the deal, if the Dline puts pressure on Criswell to either make bad decisions or sacks, Chapel will win, however if he escapes the pocket, I don't see Chapel winning that battle. Right now I say Chapel wins but not by much and would not be surprised if Motown wins and if they do, it might be by a lot. Does that make sense?

zebrafan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 05, 2017, 02:53:33 pm
Against Pine Bluff, they had just gone back to the 4-3 and had a new DC in his second game so they hadn't gotten adjusted yet (not that it would have mattered against the Zebras). They are playing far better now and Sam Womble is a great DC.
8 in row haha they got it figured out! Thanks for the info Guv!

the voice

Quote from: Deuceswild on November 05, 2017, 03:14:41 pm
My opinion rarely matters but here's the deal, if the Dline puts pressure on Criswell to either make bad decisions or sacks, Chapel will win, however if he escapes the pocket, I don't see Chapel winning that battle. Right now I say Chapel wins but not by much and would not be surprised if Motown wins and if they do, it might be by a lot. Does that make sense?
This isn't the qb that played against Harrison. Promise you that. He's much more comfortable with the offense. 

Deuceswild

I know, I saw plenty of potential and many, many plays that could have went both ways, it's just always scary to go into playoffs with a sophomore at QB, it's the decision making that goes with the position. Sophomore RBs are easier to groom than sophomore QBs as most of us know. I know Chapel can put pressure on teams up front but Criswell is one of few that can elude that pressure and do so in a deadly fashion. That's why I said either Chapel by a few or Motown by a lot. He's gonna be a fun one to watch this Friday night and many more to come for sure.

zebrafan

Quote from: Deuceswild on November 05, 2017, 04:10:41 pm
I know, I saw plenty of potential and many, many plays that could have went both ways, it's just always scary to go into playoffs with a sophomore at QB, it's the decision making that goes with the position. Sophomore RBs are easier to groom than sophomore QBs as most of us know. I know Chapel can put pressure on teams up front but Criswell is one of few that can elude that pressure and do so in a deadly fashion. That's why I said either Chapel by a few or Motown by a lot. He's gonna be a fun one to watch this Friday night and many more to come for sure.
Both WC and MO have Sophomore QBs..this is a interesting matchup.

GuvHog

Quote from: Deuceswild on November 05, 2017, 04:10:41 pm

I know what you mean. Lakeside came in against WC planning to key on WC's sophomore QB and pressure him to make mistakes. WC's SR. RB Omar Allen made the Rams pay for that.

Deuceswild

Ohhh Thant changes things, I will sleep on it and see if my mind changes

Youngsta71701

I'm going with Watson Chapel in this one. Should be a good ball game though.

Devil Dog 17

Watson Chapel may be playing a 4 seed on paper, but they were just a 7:30am AAA ruling from possible being a 1 seed. A 4 seed that had the West's 1 seed down 28 points in the 2nd half.  I may be a homer, but I think the Dogs are the toughest 4 seed in 5A.  So the way I see it, its more like a 1 seed vs 1 seed, and I like the Dogs chances.  I will say Dogs 49 WC 27.  Go Dogs. 

the voice

I'm going with D1 recruit led devil dogs in this one. Criswell gets it done this week.

Deuceswild

Guess I'm changing my pick now. I will take Motown, I still think it will be about containing the QB but it's no easy task. Looks like Chapel does have tacklers but I will go with Motown, I like their coaching style too

the voice

MDXPHD

PercussionMan

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on November 06, 2017, 10:18:59 am
Watson Chapel may be playing a 4 seed on paper, but they were just a 7:30am AAA ruling from possible being a 1 seed. A 4 seed that had the West's 1 seed down 28 points in the 2nd half.  I may be a homer, but I think the Dogs are the toughest 4 seed in 5A.  So the way I see it, its more like a 1 seed vs 1 seed, and I like the Dogs chances.  I will say Dogs 49 WC 27.  Go Dogs. 

I agree that they are the toughest 4-seed (that was also probably the case last year)....I don't see it being a large margin if they do pull off the win, but I do like their chances....playing well and peaking at the right time.  GO DEVIL DOGS!!

PercussionMan

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 06, 2017, 12:02:06 pm
It's spreading fast!

They've only been talking about him since he stepped foot onto a peewee football field....now, he's finally on the big stage, and I like his chances.

Absolut

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on November 06, 2017, 10:18:59 am

Morrilton is the 4th seed for a reason. If they were that good they would've won their conference outright. They are also the same team who had a 3 game losing streak and was getting blown out by 21 points at one point to Greenbrier at home. You see them scoring 49 points on a WC team that hasn't given up over 20 points against any team (besides #1 pine bluff)???

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Absolut on November 06, 2017, 03:49:28 pm
Morrilton is the 4th seed for a reason. If they were that good they would've won their conference outright. They are also the same team who had a 3 game losing streak and was getting blown out by 21 points at one point to Greenbrier at home. You see them scoring 49 points on a WC team that hasn't given up over 20 points against any team (besides #1 pine bluff)???

Be honest - how many times have you seen a team that goes 5-2 in conference get the 4 seed?  The West was deep this year.  Morrilton is a good football team.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 06, 2017, 04:00:24 pm
Be honest - how many times have you seen a team that goes 5-2 in conference get the 4 seed?  The West was deep this year.  Morrilton is a good football team.

Or, the west is full of average teams...

Absolut

Absolut

This is not my first rodeo ride with the big bad 5A West. Greenbrier (2012) Alma (2016). They had to learn the hard way :-)

AT

November 06, 2017, 04:49:03 pm #33 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:55:56 pm by Almatrackster
I don't quite understand people thinking the West must be super duper good just because they had 4 5-2 teams either.

I mean the South was very competitive.

WH, the 4 seed, lost by 1 point to WC, the 1 seed.

Sort of like the West, the top 5 teams in the South were all right in the playoff hunt in the end. Heck, even Magnolia was a team that had a few shots at some big wins but couldn't pull them off. I don't think parity will equal strength in playoffs.

The way I saw the season play out: West top 5 were all very close, number 6 wasn't that far off, 7-8 were on a different tier.

Central - Top 3 on another tier for the most part. SH could be on that tier if they play the right type of game. 5-6 a little below that and 7-8 very far below the others.

South - 1-2 seemingly above the rest, but 3-5 were all jumbled and not too far below. 6 never produced the right result and were a little, but not too far, below 3-5. 7-8 were very far below the others.

East - 1-3 all very close. 4 could be pushed into that tier, just never got the big win. 5-8 were way below minus one good game from Blytheville against Nettleton.

I thought parity was pretty good amongst the 5A this year. PA's closest regular season game (or any game in Arkansas) in awhile came from a team that didn't make the playoffs.

AT

Quote from: Absolut on November 06, 2017, 04:44:36 pm
This is not my first rodeo ride with the big bad 5A West. Greenbrier (2012) Alma (2016). They had to learn the hard way :-)

Point well made, but also rich coming from "WC will dominate 5A for years to come" fans.

the voice

No disrespect on the greenbrier team or Alma team WC faced in the past. But morrilton isn't made up of the same type players.
Calling the West a bunch of average teams , well what's the south ?? No matter. The game will be played Friday night. One will win. One will go home. Time will tell.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 06, 2017, 04:49:03 pm
I don't quite understand people thinking the West must be super duper good just because they had 4 5-2 teams either.

The West had good depth.  That's the distinction.  We'll see in the next couple of weeks how good we really are.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 06, 2017, 04:13:37 pm

In the words of esteemed actor Mark Wahlberg,
Maybe.  Maybe not.  Maybe go....nevermind.

We'll see Friday.

Overdahill

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 06, 2017, 04:49:03 pm

I mean the South was very competitive.

WH, the 4 seed, lost by 1 point to WC, the 1 seed.

Sort of like the West, the top 5 teams in the South were all right in the playoff hunt in the end. Heck, even Magnolia was a team that had a few shots at some big wins but couldn't pull them off. I don't think parity will equal strength in playoffs.

The way I saw the season play out: West top 5 were all very close, number 6 wasn't that far off, 7-8 were on a different tier.

Central - Top 3 on another tier for the most part. SH could be on that tier if they play the right type of game. 5-6 a little below that and 7-8 very far below the others.

South - 1-2 seemingly above the rest, but 3-5 were all jumbled and not too far below. 6 never produced the right result and were a little, but not too far, below 3-5. 7-8 were very far below the others.

East - 1-3 all very close. 4 could be pushed into that tier, just never got the big win. 5-8 were way below minus one good game from Blytheville against Nettleton.

I thought parity was pretty good amongst the 5A this year. PA's closest regular season game (or any game in Arkansas) in awhile came from a team that didn't make the playoffs.

This point alone is a good reminder that anything can happen in the post season. Thx for the reminder!

InYoGrill

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 06, 2017, 04:49:47 pm
Point well made, but also rich coming from "WC will dominate 5A for years to come" fans.

Nice point Trackster! Ha I remember when Chapel dropped down from 6A  and all those years their fans talked on the board beating their chests and pre ordering those 5A state champion Tee shirts before 2 a days started. LOL! They got enough of them wasted detail rags to buff and shine all the cars in the Bluff.  ;D

#iknownothing

if the chapel D does not find a way to tackle better and play coverage in the secondary the QB from Morrilton will carve them up! chapel has not seen a QB like this all year and i am not real sure they know what is coming down I40 for them on friday night. also if the curry kid doesn't throw the ball well then chapel's offense could struggle. Morrilton's coaching staff will find a way to stop the run game of the cats. 7-0 conference record and get this draw? that's when you know it just ain't your year. Dogs by 20

Youngsta71701

InYoGrill

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 07, 2017, 09:14:18 am
Gold ;D

Ha! I think I will venture up the road this Friday and watch them briar kittens wax those Fairview Cards all over panther field. Gosh I can t stand when that kitten roar gets blasted over their intercom after a TD.  ;D

Go Postal

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 07, 2017, 09:38:33 am
Ha! I think I will venture up the road this Friday and watch them briar kittens wax those Fairview Cards all over panther field. Gosh I can t stand when that kitten roar gets blasted over their intercom after a TD.  ;D
Is that what it was? I thought that was static and that they just couldn't afford a new speaker system.

GO DEVIL DOGS!!

GuvHog

Quote from: #iknownothing on November 07, 2017, 08:45:35 am
if the chapel D does not find a way to tackle better and play coverage in the secondary the QB from Morrilton will carve them up! chapel has not seen a QB like this all year and i am not real sure they know what is coming down I40 for them on friday night. also if the curry kid doesn't throw the ball well then chapel's offense could struggle. Morrilton's coaching staff will find a way to stop the run game of the cats. 7-0 conference record and get this draw? that's when you know it just ain't your year. Dogs by 20

WC isn't taking the Devil Dogs lightly, They have a lot of respect for them. They've also scouted Morrilton well so they know what to expect. Morrilton is a talented team so It'll be a good game.

woopork

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 06, 2017, 04:13:37 pm

The West 3 seed lost to LRCA by 7 though

Youngsta71701

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 07, 2017, 09:38:33 am
I'm just saying, it's a possibility :-\. We'll find out this Friday night.

Elvis Hoggoblin

RazorDad

Quote from: woopork on November 07, 2017, 12:51:01 pm
The West 3 seed lost to LRCA by 7 though

In the eyes of the 5A East fans, you confirmed MDXPHD's statement, lol.

South 45

Dogs by a few...Possibly a very few. Guess I'm going to burn the fuel to go find out...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas