• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vilonia Eagles state of program

Started by InYoGrill, September 16, 2017, 07:58:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

Quote from: InYoGrill on September 25, 2017, 06:14:13 pm
Can't speak for the past 5 years when my oldest son was in the program since 7th grade. Camps under Stanley were common at OBU, with J'ville, Central, some good larger size schools. 7 on 7 was hit and miss (really could have helped V's pass D) and usually with smaller schools. Anyone with knowledge currently care to expound on what they do now.

My son was never big on how the team lifted back then. He is real close to having his doctorate in physical therapy from the U of Miami, FL. so he knows a little about the workout part of programs.  The field house and indoor practice area is archaic to say the least or WAS when I was in it couple years ago. I heard that this past pre season was very light on amount of practicing and being in pads. Again anyone in the program, please add what you know.

But yes WTD, you are right about where teams grow the most in the summer and off season. I have several friends who have kids in the Greenwood program. They tell me it mind blowing how much their kids grow and develop their bodies, toughness, and team cohesion during these times. Even their non starters look like men in pads than most schools SR starters. Their last 15 years or so of dominance speak loudly!

As a coach of another Vilonia program, that is putting it nicely IYG. In the spring, it is often quite difficult for both track teams and both soccer teams to get a quality workout in without having to pretty much cram 100+ kids into the current weight room. Plus, baseball and softball are in there sometimes, as well as basketball getting a workout in.

Hopefully a new field house is in the plans, but I do know that a new field house was not mentioned when the millage talk was running rampant around the community.

AT

Vilonia has a good all around sports program. I think its tough for them to balance it all and be top of the conference in football, too. Not saying it is impossible, but Vilonia's basketball program has been on a rise itself.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 25, 2017, 07:02:03 pm
Vilonia has a good all around sports program. I think its tough for them to balance it all and be top of the conference in football, too. Not saying it is impossible, but Vilonia's basketball program has been on a rise itself.

Yes Trackster, V all around has a very competitive sports program both girls and guys. Football is just a different animal that takes more money and resources to steer toward an expected winner. Very good b ball coaches in place and the results speak for themselves.

incogneto

September 25, 2017, 08:35:54 pm #53 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:40:38 pm by incogneto
Vilonia could be Greenwood south.  They could be good enough to draw athletes from Conway, Heber Rose Bud and Cabot. 

WTD

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on September 25, 2017, 06:59:43 pm
As a coach of another Vilonia program, that is putting it nicely IYG. In the spring, it is often quite difficult for both track teams and both soccer teams to get a quality workout in without having to pretty much cram 100+ kids into the current weight room. Plus, baseball and softball are in there sometimes, as well as basketball getting a workout in.

Hopefully a new field house is in the plans, but I do know that a new field house was not mentioned when the millage talk was running rampant around the community.

I'd say for your top 3 larger classifications offseason is not actually an offseason, football has become almost year round (offseason, spring ball, 7 on 7's, and team camps). If other sports are taking precedence over football in the weight room during their offseason that's a problem.

04DW

As someone who played for most of the men on the staff, Vilonia has the coaches to be dangerous. The issues I've seen from checking in every once in a while a lot of them focus in on the head guy. This past summer the field house was open for voluntary workouts that put the responsibility on the kids. A team will not survive in the 5A if they don't train in the summer. Looking back at last year's Maumelle win, Vilonia decided to run a dive play with 45 seconds left and the lead. Maumelle had 1 timeout so three plays out of the victory formation and then you go home. Instead, a dive was called and the ball was fumbled. Maumelle drove the field and threw a pass that was two inches from scoring. The dive play came from the offensive play caller who happens to be the head coach. That is the definition of an inexcusable play call. Vilonia will have a freak athlete once in a blue moon so the team has to be technique sound, work harder than everyone else in the off-season, and have a "We're going to hit you in the mouth and make you like it for 4 quarters" type of attitude. This is only possible if every kid believes in the system and the man running it. I don't see that but on one side of the ball and it so happens to be the side that has a coach who has created a junior high boy's track dynasty, a coach that has lead the lady eagles track team to 11 straight conference championships, and a coach that brought 3 rings to the men's track program. The head coach sadly isn't a member of that trio.

InYoGrill

Quote from: 40W on September 25, 2017, 08:50:30 pm
As someone who played for most of the men on the staff, Vilonia has the coaches to be dangerous. The issues I've seen from checking in every once in a while a lot of them focus in on the head guy. This past summer the field house was open for voluntary workouts that put the responsibility on the kids. A team will not survive in the 5A if they don't train in the summer. Looking back at last year's Maumelle win, Vilonia decided to run a dive play with 45 seconds left and the lead. Maumelle had 1 timeout so three plays out of the victory formation and then you go home. Instead, a dive was called and the ball was fumbled. Maumelle drove the field and threw a pass that was two inches from scoring. The dive play came from the offensive play caller who happens to be the head coach. That is the definition of an inexcusable play call. Vilonia will have a freak athlete once in a blue moon so the team has to be technique sound, work harder than everyone else in the off-season, and have a "We're going to hit you in the mouth and make you like it for 4 quarters" type of attitude. This is only possible if every kid believes in the system and the man running it. I don't see that but on one side of the ball and it so happens to be the side that has a coach who has created a junior high boy's track dynasty, a coach that has lead the lady eagles track team to 11 straight conference championships, and a coach that brought 3 rings to the men's track program. The head coach sadly isn't a member of that trio.

Shout out 40W. Nice commentary- Stephens, Steward, and Stout? Right? Craun another good one. My son played for all of them from when Stout first came to V in his 8th grade year thru his SR year in 2011. Any kid that went through those coaches became young men if they bought into what they preached. My son early on developed into a motivated, hard working, team first young man in part to from Coach Stout's influence and association.

04DW

Quote from: InYoGrill on September 25, 2017, 09:06:39 pm
Shout out 40W. Nice commentary- Stephens, Steward, and Stout? Right? Craun another good one. My son played for all of them from when Stout first came to V in his 8th grade year thru his SR year in 2011. Any kid that went through those coaches became young men if they bought into what they preached. My son early on developed into a motivated, hard working, team first young man in part to from Coach Stout's influence and association.

Yessir, you are dead on. Craun is definitely another outstanding coach on the staff and I would've added his accolades if he worked on the defensive staff. Sadly, one of the four had to go to the offensive side. I had the honor to not only play for them, but also do some volunteer/student coaching for them. They taught me how to become a man of high character and they set the bar for me when it comes to being a successful and more importantly high character coach. All in all, if these 4 core coaches can bring the younger coaches into their fold then the state of the program will be on a much sounder foundation and the desired results will follow.

InYoGrill

Quote from: 40W on September 25, 2017, 09:41:00 pm
Yessir, you are dead on. Craun is definitely another outstanding coach on the staff and I would've added his accolades if he worked on the defensive staff. Sadly, one of the four had to go to the offensive side. I had the honor to not only play for them, but also do some volunteer/student coaching for them. They taught me how to become a man of high character and they set the bar for me when it comes to being a successful and more importantly high character coach. All in all, if these 4 core coaches can bring the younger coaches into their fold then the state of the program will be on a much sounder foundation and the desired results will follow.

Amen to that young brother!

ViloniaEaglestoWMS

Them VILONIA EAGLES are gonna win state

Just try and match wits with me!

Go EAGLES to the ROCK

Central AR

One water fountain in the field house? Can anyone confirm that?

sevenof400

Quote from: incogneto on September 25, 2017, 08:35:54 pm
Vilonia could be Greenwood south.  They could be good enough to draw athletes from Conway, Heber Rose Bud and Cabot.

The problem with this observation is the lack of a significant business community within Vilonia.  Until that is addressed (and rectified), Vilonia's athletic and academic programs will not be anywhere near where they should be.   

sevenof400

Quote from: ViloniaEaglestoWMS on September 27, 2017, 12:42:00 am

Go EAGLES to the ROCK

I am choosing to invoke Mark Twain here........

MDXPHD

Quote from: incogneto on September 25, 2017, 08:35:54 pm

They aren't really in a position like GW is in. Plus, Heber and RB don't have many athletes that are better than what V currently has.

sevenof400

From my experience, the most significant issue Vilonia has at present a sense of complacency over the years.  A great deal of this is due to the lack of change during that time at the highest levels of administration AND the fact that administration was on the older side.  Let me be clear though, I am not saying that age means unable to change, because clearly there are some examples where older administration members are very willing to change.  The point here is when long terms of service and older age are BOTH present, complacency can set in and I think this is one of Vilonia's most significant issues. 

The new superintendent can change this - and here is a hope that he will - but it is going to take time.  I think the recent millage push was a mistake because it failed to address a pressing issue in Vilonia - namely, the lack of academic rigor.  Having had kids go through the Vilonia school system over the years, it has been our experience there are a precious few good teachers in Vilonia but they are drastically outnumbered by teachers who do not make the most of their academic time.  Too many classes end up teaching for maybe 20 minutes then allowing the remainder of the period to work on homework.  There is some benefit to this but far too much in class time is allowed for student work (and as a result, less teaching occurs).  The point here is Vilonia needs to do everything it can (with existing assets and resources) to get its house in order before asking for more money from the taxpayers. 

A new administration (superintendent and AD) is a good start.  I believe there are two new board members this year - that is good too.  But now, Vilonia needs to perform a serious introspection of everything it does (leaving no stone unturned) if the district is to improve both academically and athletically.

purpleswag

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 27, 2017, 09:01:19 am
From my experience, the most significant issue Vilonia has at present a sense of complacency over the years.  A great deal of this is due to the lack of change during that time at the highest levels of administration AND the fact that administration was on the older side.  Let me be clear though, I am not saying that age means unable to change, because clearly there are some examples where older administration members are very willing to change.  The point here is when long terms of service and older age are BOTH present, complacency can set in and I think this is one of Vilonia's most significant issues. 

The new superintendent can change this - and here is a hope that he will - but it is going to take time.  I think the recent millage push was a mistake because it failed to address a pressing issue in Vilonia - namely, the lack of academic rigor.  Having had kids go through the Vilonia school system over the years, it has been our experience there are a precious few good teachers in Vilonia but they are drastically outnumbered by teachers who do not make the most of their academic time.  Too many classes end up teaching for maybe 20 minutes then allowing the remainder of the period to work on homework.  There is some benefit to this but far too much in class time is allowed for student work (and as a result, less teaching occurs).  The point here is Vilonia needs to do everything it can (with existing assets and resources) to get its house in order before asking for more money from the taxpayers. 

A new administration (superintendent and AD) is a good start.  I believe there are two new board members this year - that is good too.  But now, Vilonia needs to perform a serious introspection of everything it does (leaving no stone unturned) if the district is to improve both academically and athletically.

How do you know that the majority of teachers are bad

sevenof400

Quote from: purpleswag on September 27, 2017, 11:42:17 am
How do you know that the majority of teachers are bad

Note that I did NOT say bad - I said: ...they do not make the most of their academic time. 

purpleswag

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 27, 2017, 11:47:57 am
Note that I did NOT say bad - I said: ...they do not make the most of their academic time.

That's a nice way of saying that you think they are bad. Plus you used it after stating that there were precious few good teachers implying that the others are bad.

sevenof400

Quote from: purpleswag on September 27, 2017, 12:11:50 pm
That's a nice way of saying that you think they are bad. Plus you used it after stating that there were precious few good teachers implying that the others are bad.

When you receive daily reports from your kids about what went on in class every day, and trends quickly appear, it gets your attention (as a parent).  I will say that some teachers use their time better than others AND that some teachers use more (if not most) of their time to actually teach.  As a parent, that is what I expect from teachers.  My position is there are too many teachers who could make more effort toward teaching with the class time they (i.e. actually teaching more) but for any number of reasons, this has not been emphasized in Vilonia to the point it needs to be to increase the academic performance. 

sevenof400

Purpleswag,

Let me add this - I think Vilonia's use and execution of block scheduling is a contributing factor to this issue.  Some improvement to this issue would likely be recognized immediately if they moved off their current version of block scheduling. 

nomorewhining

just so I'm clear...... the football team is struggling because there aren't enough businesses and teachers don't talk for 90 minutes each class period?

sevenof400

I am saying the school is struggling in many areas due to the reasons I noted above. 

purpleswag

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 27, 2017, 12:32:08 pm
When you receive daily reports from your kids about what went on in class every day, and trends quickly appear, it gets your attention (as a parent).  I will say that some teachers use their time better than others AND that some teachers use more (if not most) of their time to actually teach.  As a parent, that is what I expect from teachers.  My position is there are too many teachers who could make more effort toward teaching with the class time they (i.e. actually teaching more) but for any number of reasons, this has not been emphasized in Vilonia to the point it needs to be to increase the academic performance.

I understand what you are saying, but my question is what do you call "actual teaching?" Can I ask what you do for a living?

titan33

Quote from: ViloniaEaglestoWMS on September 27, 2017, 12:42:00 am

Go EAGLES to the ROCK
In what sport?? Haha

InYoGrill

Quote from: titan33 on September 28, 2017, 08:00:27 am
In what sport?? Haha

Boys baseball last year, track about every third/fourth year, girls basketball not long ago, girls softball not long ago....

Football a bit different.  8)

jacketracket

VILONIA-GCT

Victory forfeited

Vilonia has forfeited its season-opening victory against Greene County Tech because of an ineligible player.

The Eagles defeated Greene County Tech 29-18 in Paragould on Sept. 1. But Vilonia Athletic Director Nick Newman sent Greene County Tech's administration and the Arkansas Activities Association a letter Sept. 21 to address the forfeiture.

The AAA confirmed the forfeit Wednesday.

Greene County Tech's record has been adjusted to 2-2 overall while Vilonia is 0-4.

I had heard Ed Sellers the former AD from Vilonia wanted to leave his legacy with this last hire of a football coach.  I think his legacy was he had no clue what to look for in hiring a football coach!!  I have NEVER heard of hiring someone and not posting what the record was of former schools??????  Nobody could find anything on this guy.  They would have been better off with Stanley!!!  I am thinking 3-7 is the absolute best they could go.  This team went 9-1 in Junior High.

Overdahill

sevenof400

Quote from: purpleswag on September 28, 2017, 07:39:55 am
I understand what you are saying, but my question is what do you call "actual teaching?" Can I ask what you do for a living?

I work in education as well.  Efficient (best) use of time in the classroom is something we are constantly being reminded about and we continually hear the expectation of teaching bell to bell.  Now to be fair, let me say I was a proponent of block scheduling when it started because of the many positives it can bring to the classroom.  Having a 90 minute session in some subject areas is wonderful as it allows you more time to explore something once it is set up (I'm thinking of science labs here for example) or time to write, edit, revise and publish a written piece in English or Social Studies.  Math too could benefit as you had more time to explain the advanced concepts in the higher courses. 

So what happened?  A few teachers did take advantage of this new format, but what became more common was about 20 (or so) minutes of teaching, assign homework, let the class work on homework in class (which I too will admit has some value, but it wasn't worth spending as much time on it as many did) and the rest of the class time was pretty much wasted.  (I should note block scheduling was implemented only in (at) the high school and Vilonia did NOT implement an A/B block in the traditional high school format, their block format was like college - change classes at semester.)  The amount of material covered in a semester under the block format was less than what could be covered in a traditional period day schedule but no one in administration took the initiative to investigate and conclude this wasn't working.

So how does this wind back to complacency?  To me it is evident in the mindset that proclaims everything is working fine when it isn't.  It is the lack of an institution refusing to reflect on itself in order to determine if it is best serving its students and the public in everything it does.  This same reflecgtion is desparately needed in the sports programs as well.  Earlier in this thread, several coaches were named specifically and they are among the group who pours their heart and soul into their coaching efforts.  I was always happy with the results when my kids played for any of theose coaches - not because we always won (clearly, we did not) but because I could tell that a best effort was being put in by the coaching staff.  While there were some teachers who left me with a similar impression, there were more who did not.

Does this make Vilonia unique?  Hardly, as I am sure every school has this problem to some degree.  But Vilonia has not (within the timeline of my experience) taken any effort to reform itself academcally and / or athletically.  That is long overdue.  To answer your question about actual teaching, I want to see more teachers making full use of the teaching period (however it may be defined), pushing kids harder academically to learn more, and I want to see an administration holding the faculty to that expectation.  I have not see this nearly enough in my experience.

Sorry for the rant...

purpleswag

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 28, 2017, 11:40:17 am
I work in education as well.  Efficient (best) use of time in the classroom is something we are constantly being reminded about and we continually hear the expectation of teaching bell to bell.  Now to be fair, let me say I was a proponent of block scheduling when it started because of the many positives it can bring to the classroom.  Having a 90 minute session in some subject areas is wonderful as it allows you more time to explore something once it is set up (I'm thinking of science labs here for example) or time to write, edit, revise and publish a written piece in English or Social Studies.  Math too could benefit as you had more time to explain the advanced concepts in the higher courses. 

So what happened?  A few teachers did take advantage of this new format, but what became more common was about 20 (or so) minutes of teaching, assign homework, let the class work on homework in class (which I too will admit has some value, but it wasn't worth spending as much time on it as many did) and the rest of the class time was pretty much wasted.  (I should note block scheduling was implemented only in (at) the high school and Vilonia did NOT implement an A/B block in the traditional high school format, their block format was like college - change classes at semester.)  The amount of material covered in a semester under the block format was less than what could be covered in a traditional period day schedule but no one in administration took the initiative to investigate and conclude this wasn't working.

So how does this wind back to complacency?  To me it is evident in the mindset that proclaims everything is working fine when it isn't.  It is the lack of an institution refusing to reflect on itself in order to determine if it is best serving its students and the public in everything it does.  This same reflecgtion is desparately needed in the sports programs as well.  Earlier in this thread, several coaches were named specifically and they are among the group who pours their heart and soul into their coaching efforts.  I was always happy with the results when my kids played for any of theose coaches - not because we always won (clearly, we did not) but because I could tell that a best effort was being put in by the coaching staff.  While there were some teachers who left me with a similar impression, there were more who did not.

Does this make Vilonia unique?  Hardly, as I am sure every school has this problem to some degree.  But Vilonia has not (within the timeline of my experience) taken any effort to reform itself academcally and / or athletically.  That is long overdue.  To answer your question about actual teaching, I want to see more teachers making full use of the teaching period (however it may be defined), pushing kids harder academically to learn more, and I want to see an administration holding the faculty to that expectation.  I have not see this nearly enough in my experience.

Sorry for the rant...

No sorry needed here. At least you know what you are talking about. Most people who complain about things on here wouldn't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Thanks for the response.

InYoGrill

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 28, 2017, 11:40:17 am

Sorry for the rant...

Couldnt have said that any better than meself..... LOL!  Very educated and easy to understand response 7. +1

InYoGrill

Quote from: jacketracket on September 28, 2017, 08:53:27 am
VILONIA-GCT

Victory forfeited

Vilonia has forfeited its season-opening victory against Greene County Tech because of an ineligible player.

The Eagles defeated Greene County Tech 29-18 in Paragould on Sept. 1. But Vilonia Athletic Director Nick Newman sent Greene County Tech's administration and the Arkansas Activities Association a letter Sept. 21 to address the forfeiture.

Greene County Tech's record has been adjusted to 2-2 overall while Vilonia is 0-4.

I had heard Ed Sellers the former AD from Vilonia wanted to leave his legacy with this last hire of a football coach.  I think his legacy was he had no clue what to look for in hiring a football coach!!  I have NEVER heard of hiring someone and not posting what the record was of former schools??????  Nobody could find anything on this guy.  They would have been better off with Stanley!!!  I am thinking 3-7 is the absolute best they could go.  This team went 9-1 in Junior High.

You make some very good points Jacket. I scratched my head on that hiring as well. There were some very good candidates but it just shook out to be this almost retired Lonoke asst who a coaching history I think in TN of some sort. Again a mystery hire. Not sure why him??  I wuld have thought the admin would have looked for an up and coming coach for some fresh ideas and closer relation to the young men. It takes years sometimes to revamp a program and again with the current coach way up there in years and unfamiliar in AR coaching ranks, I'm not sure what the long term strategy was for the program.

Eaglefan70

I sadly don't think there was a long term plan for a head coach at Vilonia. I live in Vilonia and don't think they have a chance at winning another game.  I do not know if this is fully correct considering I don't attend games but I have heard you can just tell the coaches don't care at all.  That's a sad thing for the boys. 

Big Prof.91

I read that the coach that got hired is certified in math compared to Coach Stout(interim at the time) who is certified in PE. It shouldn't play a big role in the decision on a FOOTBALL COACH, but it probably played a role.

GuvHog

September 28, 2017, 03:02:03 pm #83 Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:03:56 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: jacketracket on September 28, 2017, 08:53:27 am
VILONIA-GCT

Victory forfeited

Goodness! Last year Morrilton, a 5A West team, messed up and accidentally suited out an ineligible player causing them to have to forfeit some games and now this year Vilonia, another 5A West school, did the same thing and had to forfeit a game. What is going on in the 5A West??

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: Eaglefan70 on September 28, 2017, 12:59:14 pm
I sadly don't think there was a long term plan for a head coach at Vilonia. I live in Vilonia and don't think they have a chance at winning another game.  I do not know if this is fully correct considering I don't attend games but I have heard you can just tell the coaches don't care at all.  That's a sad thing for the boys. 

It's pretty much a universal truth - the team takes on the personality of its head coach.  Every sport, every level.

vtown1

September 29, 2017, 12:25:56 pm #85 Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:30:04 pm by vtown1
Quote from: Big Prof.91 on September 28, 2017, 02:56:02 pm
I read that the coach that got hired is certified in math compared to Coach Stout(interim at the time) who is certified in PE. It shouldn't play a big role in the decision on a FOOTBALL COACH, but it probably played a role.
The head football coach does not teach any classes at Vilonia. Neither do the boys or girls head coaches in basketball. At least 2 of them have other duties throughout the day, but teaching classes is not one of them. I cannot say for sure what the 3rd does all day.

GuvHog

Quote from: vtown1 on September 29, 2017, 12:25:56 pm
The head football coach does not teach any classes at Vilonia. Neither do the boys or girls head coaches in basketball. At least 2 of them have other duties throughout the day, but teaching classes is not one of them. I cannot say for sure what the 3rd does all day.

They all have to have teaching certificates though.

InYoGrill

First, awesome live streaming by the Vilonia Eagles crew. Very good stream and good announcers.

2nd, the ship is taking on HEAVY water! V was manhandled by Maumelle. There must have been at least 5 turnovers on V's side. D was gashed left , right , and center. Last 2 weeks have been some of the biggest blowouts score wise in recent Eagle years. Harrison is next week at home. EEEEEEEE!

InYoGrill

Harrison game was difficult to watch. Gobs got a very good team!

Highlight of the game occurred before it started. A helicopter landed and brought in the game ball at midfield. Cool Stuff!

V just is not anything like the past teams after Coach Stanley left. We played every team tough through the 4th Q. Only Alma and Greenwood during season play ever constantly beat us by any wide margins.  Yup Many of his supporters are saying I told you so when he left. We don't look good at all. I am sure the kids are working hard to be good and win games BUT it has to be coaching in my mind on why they do not look competitive this season. I have watched all the games either in person or through live streaming and we just seem like we don't have confidence playing these games close or having any to win. I heard the head coach was relieved of the play calling duties after last week. More changes ahead I am fairly sure of...

Deuceswild

I don't know much about the coaching but those kids played their butts off out there. Plenty to be proud of in Vilonia if u look in the right place, which is on the field. I would definitely like to see them open up the play book more and go deeper but we never gave them the chance. QB was running for his life all game. When u have a down game always look at FUNdamentals.... blocking and tackling. U guys will win if u fix that, trust me. That does start with coaching but I don't think it's just a major coaching thing, they just gotta find ways to turn it around. Good luck the rest of the season, be proud of them boys.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Deuceswild on October 07, 2017, 02:09:02 am
I don't know much about the coaching but those kids played their butts off out there. Plenty to be proud of in Vilonia if u look in the right place, which is on the field. I would definitely like to see them open up the play book more and go deeper but we never gave them the chance. QB was running for his life all game. When u have a down game always look at FUNdamentals.... blocking and tackling. U guys will win if u fix that, trust me. That does start with coaching but I don't think it's just a major coaching thing, they just gotta find ways to turn it around. Good luck the rest of the season, be proud of them boys.

Good comments Deuce... The kids do play hard and seem to have very good sportmanship. They also look like they have put the time in the weight room. Many thick looking in their pads. I just cant put my hand on it why we are not close in these games and I am also talking about the 4A schools that beat us down. We have good size, decent speed, GREAT numbers, Booster Club is doing awesome for the team!, and many of those coaches I know personally are awesome folks and super role models for the kids. I can tell a BIG difference from years past teams in that I don't see many players (SR's) on the field or sidelines getting pumped, loud, or taking charge to lead the team. That can go a LONG way when you get the EMOTION pumping and fighting even harder and together on the field and sidelines. Again it is easier to follow the example of your leaders like your HEAD coach. Stout & Steward show a lot of fire out there every game.

It has to be either the motivation and/or game strategy. And that starts with the HEAD coach.

InYoGrill

October 08, 2017, 03:08:21 pm #91 Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:19:47 pm by InYoGrill
7, I pasted your last thoughts on the Gob/Eagle thread here to comment further on your thoughts.

"I agree with the first part of your statement, but when a town has not changed much over 20 years, that ought to be a cause for serious concern. I cannot see any reasonable definition of 'fine' working for Vilonia.  The academics are stagnant, the town has not changed much (if any) and the business presence is no larger now than 20 years ago.  Yes, the tornadoes were hard shots to the midsection but these problems existed prior to '11 and '14. 

20 years ago, Vilonia had a pizza place, an ice cream store, a grocery store, a discount store, a few restaurants, two banks (IIRC), and a couple of gas stations.
Sounds about the same today doesn't it? 

Vilonia has essentially remained a bedroom community in mind and spirit over that period, and the complacency that attitude brings has been allowed to spread. 

It is past time to shake this community out of its collective doldrum and get going.  The schools need improvement from within first - a higher emphasis on academics would be the place to start and the business community needs to be expanded.  The city and school leadership need to find ways to bring new business to Vilonia - now - to get this town moving again. "- 7of400

Agree 7! I moved to the V school district 16 years ago from Cabot. Nothing has really changed since then from the school or town perspective other than more subdivisions built and our student pop growing some. I have been a Vilonia Chamber member for years and recently board member until I asked to not be re-elected on because of time constraints in my life. I don't think there is much serious interest within the chamber or city hall to grow and change the town into a more progressive independent functioning entity. I just have the feeling that those who are in the leadership positions are content on where the town is- a quiet, small, boring, bed rock community with a decent size school district. The newly made bypass did not grow the community, it made the town even smaller than what it was beforehand...

woopork

Quote from: GuvHog on September 28, 2017, 03:02:03 pm
Goodness! Last year Morrilton, a 5A West team, messed up and accidentally suited out an ineligible player causing them to have to forfeit some games and now this year Vilonia, another 5A West school, did the same thing and had to forfeit a game. What is going on in the 5A West??

Honesty

Jayepea

Nay-sayers kick rocks, go on get! Tell it walking

sevenof400

Quote from: Jayepea on October 09, 2017, 11:35:33 pm
Nay-sayers kick rocks, go on get! Tell it walking
Quite the illustration of the reason the school system is in the shape it is these days. 

vtown1

I would be interested to know if Jayepea still lives in Vilonia

InYoGrill

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 10, 2017, 02:35:41 am
Quite the illustration of the reason the school system is in the shape it is these days.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InYoGrill

November 03, 2017, 09:50:59 pm #97 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:42:28 pm by InYoGrill
End of the season tonight with longtime rival getting the best of us tonight and ending our disappointing season. The Vilonia Eagle livestream was amazing this season. Thank you VEFF for supporting this. The broadcast was extremely appreciated and well run. Young man Drake Toll is a superstar high school announcer who will be heard from in this state for years to come with his talents and energy. I heard he was 16 years old and every bit the height of 6ft5.

The stream is showing a new tradition started last year where the SR's at the end of the last home game line up on the middle of the field and one at a time hand a rose to their mom/dad for supporting them then they all go over to the rest of the underclassmen and comfort each other for the SR's last time. OUTSTANDING tribute and new tradition. Wish my son had the opportunity to do this years back.

Eagles will hit it hard next season. Good luck to the West teams in the playoffs!

DEVIL DOG HOG

At least Vilonia is better than Hope and L.R. Fair.

PA Dad

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on November 03, 2017, 10:14:34 pm
At least Vilonia is better than Hope and L.R. Fair.

That's a back handed compliment!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas