Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Saturday, November 18th, 2017.
Week 10 Review
Week 9 Review
REMINDER that with games on Thursday, the Pick'em will lock at noon Thursday.
Week 8 Review
Week 7 Review
Week 6 Review
Week 5 Review

Author Topic: 2017-2018 Cross Country/Track and Field  (Read 1158 times)

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
2017-2018 Cross Country/Track and Field
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:31 am »
I haven't done one of these in a couple of years.  Now that one of my kids is married and another is a senior in college I will have a little more time to add to these conversations again.  AT, I am hoping you will continue to be the big contributor like you have for a number of years now.

The dead period is about to end and cross country will be close at hand. Who do you have winning, coming close, dark horses?

Class 1A/2A  Since Ouachita had no seniors in its 9 runners at state and are the defending champions, I'll just pick them to repeat;
                  Quitman girls with Acorn a close runner-up; Willsey always has them in the hunt but that group of girls at Quitman are just so athletic.
Class 3A      Even though GF loses a lot to graduation, they return their top two and some tradition; I will take them in a close one over Genoa.
                  I will take HA to knock Genoa off in an upset; Genoa loses two key seniors. Should be a great meet. GF will be in the mix.
Class 4A       I never bet against Heber Springs.
                  In girls, I will take Heber Springs over Berryville and Huntsville; if Pottsville and Dardanelle could get all their great runners all in they could be in the mix.
Class 5A      Maumelle; Harrison has too many great seniors to replace.
                 LRC girls look to dominate but Vilonia might have something to say about it.
Class 6A      Lake Hamilton, again; but watch for Greenwood who has been steadily climbing for 5 years.
                 Siloam Springs in a great battle over LH and Russvegas.
Class 7A      Rogers loses so many great seniors yet I will still pick them in a close one over Fayetteville and Bentonville just because they are Rogers.
                 I am going to pick Fayetteville in an upset over Bentonville and Rogers in the closest 3-team battle at state.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: 2017-2018 Cross Country/Track and Field
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:20:07 pm »
I have not ever asked the question, but are you a runner yourself rattler or ever were in your life? I am and it's my biggest hobby for sure. I still go 5 or 6 days a week for a run besides odd ball weeks when I have an extra amount on my work plate.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:22:06 pm »
Those random schools like Genoa, Heber, and others that are good at track or cross country always intrigue me. Cross country and track there has to be that culture in that community or a program will never be successful AND a coach who wants to win and recruits the athletes from the other sports. I also think as soccer continues to grow it will create a slight bump in cross country participation. Here in Arkansas with soccer being a spring sport I think some more kids that may not have might start going out for cross country in the fall to get that competition in another way and the obvious of staying in peak shape even in offseason of soccer.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:26:13 pm by beach bum »

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:27:26 pm »
I have not ever asked the question, but are you a runner yourself rattler or ever were in your life? I am and it's my biggest hobby for sure. I still go 5 or 6 days a week for a run besides odd ball weeks when I have an extra amount on my work plate.

I love running.  Ran with my athletes during practice until knee injury.  Ran with my daughter during her high school years but dealt with pain and swelling.  Need to get my knee repaired and get back to it.     

Yes; culture for the sport has to be created.  It is an awesome culture once established.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:34:04 pm »
I love running.  Ran with my athletes during practice until knee injury.  Ran with my daughter during her high school years but dealt with pain and swelling.  Need to get my knee repaired and get back to it.     

Yes; culture for the sport has to be created.  It is an awesome culture once established.

Awesome... I feel you on the injury. I got the dreaded stress fracture for the first time in April and starting back last week finally. No pain yet so I think I rehabbed it well and slowly. I even got mine transitioning to running only on cement about only 10-15% of the time and the rest on grass and trails which stopped me ever having knee swelling but still got the stress fracture doing speed work is what did it. Is Magazine fairly steady with participation? I know Decatur of all schools has been pretty good in the 2A track ranks lately.

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:42:09 pm »
Our participation numbers go up and down but we typically have the most participation of any sport at Magazine.  84 kids signed up last year (junior high and senior high boys and girls).   Holland does a great job at Decatur. State champ girls in 1A this year.  Meeks girl is really good.     

We don't have any mandatory summer practices but have practice 5 days a week* and average 25-30 kids a day.  6:30 am starts.

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 08:50:28 pm »
Hate that you got the stress fracture.  Keep going forward.  Running is great.  Ease back in....especially any speed work.

We've had a great run at Magazine.  Boys for 25 years and girls for past 10 or so. It's all about the kids and they have really been wonderful. 

https://magazinek12.com/athletics/track-field  shows some of our history.  My Magazine Rattler Track and Magazine Rattler cross country pages show so many stories, videos, and pics.  Part of the culture.   

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:52:32 pm »
We don't have soccer as a school sport yet but our Hmong population love it.  They have been huge parts of our success.

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:47:30 am »
Magazine Invitational today!   

Offline bearRUNR1500

• Band Nerd
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 01:42:52 pm »
4A Boys: This could be a very interesting race this year. I'm sure I'm off by a few points here and there depending on which schools have full teams and who will be moving up from junior high teams, but this is how I have the 4A meet scored as of today:

Huntsville: 84
Cave City: 88
Heber Springs: 89
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:49:03 pm by bearRUNR1500 »

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 03:19:00 pm »
I have been watching Cave City.  Looks to be a great 4A battle. Good luck to all!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas