• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm not sure what to make of the seeming large number...

Started by sevenof400, May 05, 2017, 08:01:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

May 05, 2017, 08:01:47 am Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 08:05:59 am by sevenof400
...of conference tournament games going to KFTM.  It has me thinking that some teams - once they are assured of a state berth - may be taking their foot of the gas a bit and resting players.

Of course, that might be incorrect but we could see some interesting matchups in the early rounds of the state playoffs this year.

I'm also wondering if some teams are looking at the state bracket and trying to position themselves in what they think might be a better competitive position.  That is something much easier to do when a conference tournament identifies your state tournament teams as opposed to a conference season.

sssuperpantherfan2

I would think they are trying to play for better position in the state bracket.

Buck183

I would want to keep the foot on the gas and be a 1 seed to get a bye and easier games early on.  But that's just me.  :-)

BUT, I could see if a team weren't in the position to do that where they might do some odd things. 

sevenof400

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on May 05, 2017, 09:11:54 am
I would think they are trying to play for better position in the state bracket.

To extend that point, sometimes it might be better to be a lower (worse) seed if you look at the four teams in a quarter of the bracket.  With the conference tournaments not being held at the same time this year, this becomes easier because a team may only need to flip the result of one game in a conference tournament as opposed to several games in conference season. 

ARSOCCER2017

I do think that there is probably some eye-balling of the state brackets going on.
That being said, I feel like the conference tournaments give teams having an ok to bad season reason to keep playing hard. I know the 4A-2 Not every team qualifies for the conference tourney so teams are still playing meaningful games at the end of the season.
I do see the flip side of this as the top seeds may have less incentive and all that you have discussed previously.

MB Hog

I know in the case of the LRCA/PA girls, both wanted the 1 seed from Central, so the KFTM on that one was legit.

sevenof400

Quote from: MB Hog on May 05, 2017, 10:14:35 am
I know in the case of the LRCA/PA girls, both wanted the 1 seed from Central, so the KFTM on that one was legit.

That makes sense because the 1st and 2nd seeds from the Central get the 2nd and 1st seeds (respectively) from the West in the 2nd round potentially...

futbolsoccer

to be the best, have to beat the best!
I wish all teams from same conference play against each other and get the championship by points, so every game will be played hard, but I understand the sport have make some money some where, (tournaments)
in soccer every game is different, anybody can beat anybody don't matter were you seed it.
have two tournaments one for Varsity and one for JV running at the same time, so coaches can be focus in JV as well, some JV teams are forgotten for their coaches and be focus on Varsity, because just V is playing for something, this will increase the talent on JV and with the time, team will become better. 

futbolsoccer

ok, ok!
talking about 6A girls.
if some how they all play against each other, trough the regular season, east, west, central, south, north as an example, and the champion come out of who make the most points total, like Premier or Spanish league.

I think all games will be more excited, because you have to win every game if possible and play your best players in every game, and have JV do the same. have their own JV tournament as well, some JV teams just played 4-5 games all season and that will not improve these players.

example:
Barcelona play R Madrid but before that game is either their B teams or youth teams playing.
is like having a Varsity tournament and a JV tournament.
all 7A play S,N,E, W against each other  same for 6A, 5A and 4A

sssuperpantherfan2

Quote from: futbolsoccer on May 05, 2017, 10:29:21 am
I wish all teams from same conference play against each other and get the championship by points, so every game will be played hard, but I understand the sport have make some money some where, (tournaments)
in soccer every game is different, anybody can beat anybody don't matter were you seed it.
have two tournaments one for Varsity and one for JV running at the same time, so coaches can be focus in JV as well, some JV teams are forgotten for their coaches and be focus on Varsity, because just V is playing for something, this will increase the talent on JV and with the time, team will become better.

It's hard enough to get schools committed to soccer knowing that there are several tournaments involved.  They don't have the funds and resources to do a JV playoff.  We did host a JV tournament at SS, ran it on a weekend and had great turnout.

thebeaufyfullgame

Our Russellville JVG played only 4 games this season, and is a good idea to give these girls something to play for.
Some girls told me that they will be better playing club soccer trough their freshman season and tryout when they become sophomore, most of school play their freshman in the JV team, so is not a bad idea to give these young ladys something to play for.

Buck183

Quote from: futbolsoccer on May 05, 2017, 10:29:21 am

Man, I don't know about that.  There's something to be said about the magic of playoff games along with the buzz and hype around a state championship game.  This is something one cannot put a price on. 

futbolsoccer

Quote from: Buck183 on May 05, 2017, 02:45:53 pm
Man, I don't know about that.  There's something to be said about the magic of playoff games along with the buzz and hype abound a state championship game.  This is something one cannot put a price on.

if you want to keep the hype up, then a champion by point in a regular season, top 8 play the championship and if there is two different winner, then one more game for the champion of champions, if same winner on regular and state cup, then it take it all.
more games, more fun, more hype.
you can call the regular season as a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP, top 8 the STATE CUP and of course the CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS if two different winners, just like the pro leagues.

Rocket23

Every OT was legit in the Central.  Last night PA was without probably their best player, for sure offensively, who was red carded in previous game.  McClellan just played really hard-nosed defense.

That was back-to-back OTs for LRM as Beebe couldn't make a goal in the quarters. Just bad luck.

Lets Go 5

Quote from: futbolsoccer on May 05, 2017, 05:08:27 pm
if you want to keep the hype up, then a champion by point in a regular season, top 8 play the championship and if there is two different winner, then one more game for the champion of champions, if same winner on regular and state cup, then it take it all.
more games, more fun, more hype.
you can call the regular season as a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP, top 8 the STATE CUP and of course the CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS if two different winners, just like the pro leagues.

Don't know about all that. If that was to happen then it would put us at 31-32 games. Not counting the benefit game at the beginning.

As far as your idea with JV not playing. That blame falls strictly on your coach you have. Our JV has played almost as many games as the Varsity. Don't be looking to change the system simply when your coach hasn't done his job.  And they have traveled quiet a bit to do it. JV is for extra practice to get the experience and skill needed for the next level. There is not a league for it. It's a future young group to build your varsity mainly.

Buck183

Quote from: Lets Go 5 on May 05, 2017, 06:20:05 pm

Don't know about all that. If that was to happen then it would put us at 31-32 games. Not counting the benefit game at the beginning.

As far as your idea with JV not playing. That blame falls strictly on your coach you have. Our JV has played almost as many games as the Varsity. Don't be looking to change the system simply when your coach hasn't done his job.  And they have traveled quiet a bit to do it. JV is for extra practice to get the experience and skill needed for the next level. There is not a league for it. It's a future young group to build your varsity mainly.

I heard our coaching staff earlier this week comment that our JV teams have played about 15 games each. If I remember correctly they said between both varsity teams and all the JV teams our program will log right around 100 games this spring.   And I agree, if a JV squad isn't playing many games at all that blame falls directly on the coaches.  Fortunately we have a staff that sees the value in this and makes sure our younger players are developing as needed. 

Chief_Osceola™

I've always wondered this - what does 'KFTM' mean? I'm not a soccer person, so...

sssuperpantherfan2

KFTM= kicks from the mark

Overtime at the end of regulation, teams take 5 each for kicking from the penalty mark at the net with only the goalie guarding to block.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 05, 2017, 06:45:29 pm
I've always wondered this - what does 'KFTM' mean? I'm not a soccer person, so...

Join us! It's quite fun. Plus, you guys have a nice program there at Maumelle.

Arbitro

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on May 05, 2017, 07:12:15 pm

Overtime at the end of regulation, teams take 5 each for kicking from the penalty mark at the net with only the goalie guarding to block.
It's probably best not to equate KFTM (also known as KFTPM [P=Penalty]) with overtime. It is simply a way to decide a winner when regular play is done. Now that we are entering the state tournament, games tied after regulation will have two 10 minute golden goal overtime periods.  For those unfamiliar with the term, golden goal means that when a goal is scored in either overtime period, the game ends immediately. If the game is still tied after both overtime periods, then KFTM will be used to decide the winner.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Arbitro on May 05, 2017, 08:37:58 pm
It's probably best not to equate KFTM (also known as KFTPM [P=Penalty]) with overtime. It is simply a way to decide a winner when regular play is done. Now that we are entering the state tournament, games tied after regulation will have two 10 minute golden goal overtime periods.  For those unfamiliar with the term, golden goal means that when a goal is scored in either overtime period, the game ends immediately. If the game is still tied after both overtime periods, then KFTM will be used to decide the winner.

Why not call it sudden death like football?

....golden goal does have a not so morbid ring to it though

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on May 05, 2017, 07:12:15 pm

So that's the proper name for penalty kicks then, right?

hogbert

Yup, because if you think about it, there's no penalty involved. Just trying to determine a winner.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 05, 2017, 09:02:31 pm
So that's the proper name for penalty kicks then, right?

Right. It irks me when kicks from the mark are referred to as "penalty kicks" when they occur after regulation. What are we penalizing? Both teams for playing to a draw?

The same with "offsides." Offsides is not a soccer term, it is an American football term that has become ingrained in minds. Drop the "s" and you have the proper soccer term.

Sir Alex

Soccer terminology nazi's are on the loose.  ;D. I am not even going anywhere near the 5a west tournament thread tonight. 

sevenof400

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 05, 2017, 10:27:46 pm
Soccer terminology nazi's are on the loose.  ;D. I am not even going anywhere near the 5a west tournament thread tonight.

Oh come on and have some fun!

Arbitro

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 05, 2017, 08:48:10 pm
Why not call it sudden death like football?

....golden goal does have a not so morbid ring to it though
AAA uses the more pleasant phrase "sudden victory overtime"

Go Postal

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 05, 2017, 06:45:29 pm
Time to go get a FIFA video game to help you out.

ArkansasSportsFan

I love a good penalty kick shootout to end a game.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Go Postal on May 05, 2017, 11:22:27 pm
Time to go get a FIFA video game to help you out.

True enough. I don't know enough about the game in general to know which league or club to play on. I tried before and got destroyed.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas