• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A GIRLS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP: Pocahontas vs Pottsville(Sat 6:00)

Started by Brian G, March 04, 2017, 07:44:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins this?

Pocahontas
30 (71.4%)
Pottsville
12 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 11, 2017, 06:43:46 pm

bigchief72455

I hear what you are saying though. It just came off as their victory and title wasn't earned and that it was given to them.

NEA Razorback olfan

Ozark Hog ,
It seems  that Ozark girls will have their main players back according to max-pres
They should be back next year.

Ozark Hog

No they lost one of their good guards and not sure about the Ladd girl, maybe  she will be back at  100% next year.

Ozark Hog

I did say that and that is exactly what I meant. 4-4A conference have watch these girls play several times and I can tell you that the style game they played last nite is not the way the girls want to play, they want to go all out up tempo and press the whole game for some reason their coach wants to control every aspect of the game, then when he gets into a close game he plays not to lose instead of applying the pressure he will try hold the ball and not attack. When they are running and pressing they are at their best because they do not have a true post player down low.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Ozark Hog on March 12, 2017, 07:10:23 pm
I did say that and that is exactly what I meant. 4-4A conference have watch these girls play several times and I can tell you that the style game they played last nite is not the way the girls want to play, they want to go all out up tempo and press the whole game for some reason their coach wants to control every aspect of the game, then when he gets into a close game he plays not to lose instead of applying the pressure he will try hold the ball and not attack. When they are running and pressing they are at their best because they do not have a true post player down low.

I agree on pushing the tempo, by attacking the basket early you can draw fouls with the defense out of position and get to the free throw line.
Along with getting their main players in foul trouble it lets you get into their bench early in game and could  exposes a weak bench.which in turn may affect their offensive and defensive sets.

Ozark Hog

Agree. High school basketball is over now we can move on the baseball and soft ball, hope everyone has a good season.

bigchief72455

Good luck in your season. I am sure we will see the Lady Apaches in the title hunt again next year.

Livewire

I'm happy for the Pocahontas team for their win but am sorely disappointed in the student section! The school administration seriously needs to get involved and correct their behavior. I wasn't at this game but was at all the Regional games as well as several other games this year. The "back turning", "booing" and other actions are disrespectful and against AAA rules. Worst of all this is a continuous problem that has gone on with this student section for years! >:(

outfielder42

According to final stats of the 4a girls title game, Pocahontas was credited with 41 rebounds while Pottsville was credited with 27.  Both of Poky's big girls recorded double doubles.    I am guessing  #40 is Pott'sville's big girl, she was credited with 2 rebounds 1 offensive and 1 defensive. #23 led Pottsville with 7 rebounds.
You say Poky doesn't have a dominate big girl down low but I would venture to say BOTH of  Poky's big girls were a dominating force on the boards Saturday night.
Turnovers early in the game hurt Poky.  They had 15 to Pottsville's 8 turnovers.
My source is the official box score final statistics.

WhiteRiverMonster

March 12, 2017, 10:43:35 pm #59 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:55:28 pm by WhiteRiverMonster
Quote from: Livewire on March 12, 2017, 08:55:47 pm
I'm happy for the Pocahontas team for their win but am sorely disappointed in the student section! The school administration seriously needs to get involved and correct their behavior. I wasn't at this game but was at all the Regional games as well as several other games this year. The "back turning", "booing" and other actions are disrespectful and against AAA rules. Worst of all this is a continuous problem that has gone on with this student section for years! >:(

I'm not completely positive but I'm fairly sure the costumes worn by the Pottsville student section were against AAA rules as well. From what I've been told the rules state that for finals there are to be no signs, body paint or costumes.

They're kids. I was young and rowdy and loved my school too much once and turned out alright, think both of these groups of student sections will too.

Gray lizard

Congratulations to Pocahontas!
Great game.
I would have liked Pottsville to push the pace more.  I will not question the coach as this was his team.  He may have know they would have worn down to much.  They only played 6 girls.  The Ellis girl played a great game.  To beat them you had to keep in front of her.  Pottsville did a pretty good job for most of the game.  She got lose in over time. I am proud of the Pottsville girls.  I am glad I got to go to the game and take my son to watch a Pottsville team compete for a State Championship.

As far as the student situation.  You just do not run to the other end of the arena and get in the face of your opponent.  It is a good thing Mr. Bradley was present and on top of the situation.  I just knew something bad was going to happen. There is always a few hot heads in a group that large.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Gray lizard on March 13, 2017, 08:34:58 am
Congratulations to Pocahontas!
Great game.
I would have liked Pottsville to push the pace more.  I will not question the coach as this was his team.  He may have know they would have worn down to much.  They only played 6 girls.  The Ellis girl played a great game.  To beat them you had to keep in front of her.  Pottsville did a pretty good job for most of the game.  She got lose in over time. I am proud of the Pottsville girls.  I am glad I got to go to the game and take my son to watch a Pottsville team compete for a State Championship.

As far as the student situation.  You just do not run to the other end of the arena and get in the face of your opponent.  It is a good thing Mr. Bradley was present and on top of the situation.  I just knew something bad was going to happen. There is always a few hot heads in a group that large.
From what I have been told and understand,the situation started on social media with a Pottsville student insulting the team. It escalated from there. That is the story I have heard and have seen the posts. But yes cooler heads should prevail.

Gray lizard

Quote from: bigchief72455 on March 13, 2017, 10:11:18 am
From what I have been told and understand,the situation started on social media with a Pottsville student insulting the team. It escalated from there. That is the story I have heard and have seen the posts. But yes cooler heads should prevail.
Well this site is as social as I get.  I do not doubt that at all. Just glad nothing came of it.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Gray lizard on March 13, 2017, 10:43:51 am
Well this site is as social as I get.  I do not doubt that at all. Just glad nothing came of it.
Yes. I am as well.

bigchief72455

Quote from: outfielder42 on March 12, 2017, 10:31:20 pm
According to final stats of the 4a girls title game, Pocahontas was credited with 41 rebounds while Pottsville was credited with 27.  Both of Poky's big girls recorded double doubles.    I am guessing  #40 is Pott'sville's big girl, she was credited with 2 rebounds 1 offensive and 1 defensive. #23 led Pottsville with 7 rebounds.
You say Poky doesn't have a dominate big girl down low but I would venture to say BOTH of  Poky's big girls were a dominating force on the boards Saturday night.
Turnovers early in the game hurt Poky.  They had 15 to Pottsville's 8 turnovers.
My source is the official box score final statistics.
How dare you bring facts into this. lol

87DAWG

Quote from: Ozark Hog on March 12, 2017, 06:31:52 pm
I think you head wrong big Chief the Pottsville students did not go into the Pocahontas student stands and act like fools!!!!!!!!   I am not making excuses, just stating the facts. Look like Pocahontas had a senior dominated team and the pressure got to  Pottsville in overtime, and once it come down to fouling Pocahontas was already in one and one on every foul, get a lead and make your foul shoots and it is impossible for the other team to come back. One lucky break is all it take in close a game. 
It is for sure that they have to depend on their speed to win games as they did not have a dominate big girl. If telling the truth is making excuses then you have a different view of what a excuse is. 
I had already congratulated Pocahontas in one of my early post not say they didn't deserve the win.
If they would of attacked Pokey in the back court instead of playing 2-2-1 they stayed in......fact Ellis and #15 would of played pass/catch/layup.....watched it all year as they were in our conference!!! It is what it is....Pottsville had its chances but didnt come thru.....15 turnovers.....gotta be a season high.....Pokey deserves it and Coach Davis usually out coaches everyone he goes against anyway......Facts!!

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: WhiteRiverMonster on March 12, 2017, 10:43:35 pm
I'm not completely positive but I'm fairly sure the costumes worn by the Pottsville student section were against AAA rules as well. From what I've been told the rules state that for finals there are to be no signs, body paint or costumes.

They're kids. I was young and rowdy and loved my school too much once and turned out alright, think both of these groups of student sections will too.

I did see the costumes, but no face paint.  The Pocahontas kids coming over to the Pottsville student section was completely wrong.  That could have started a riot.  I wondered if there was a Pokey admin anywhere but out on the floor soaking in the glory.  The team deserved better than having the student section sully their win. 

Porka

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on March 13, 2017, 03:06:42 pm
I did see the costumes, but no face paint.  The Pocahontas kids coming over to the Pottsville student section was completely wrong.  That could have started a riot.  I wondered if there was a Pokey admin anywhere but out on the floor soaking in the glory.  The team deserved better than having the student section sully their win.

No face paint. Had masks on, not sure if that's much different.

Didn't see a Pocahontas admin on the floor, know the superintendent was in the upper deck most of the game.

I won't defend what the students did at the end. Someone said it had something to do with social media. Heard it may have been a case of celebrating with our fans (who were well represented on both sides). May have just been the pure lack of thinking it through. They are 15-18 year olds, we've all been there and have done some stupid things.

Either way, nobody is condoning it on the Pocahontas side and not sure what all can/would be done about it now that the season is over. It shouldn't been done but it is what it is at this point. The team played their butts off and won a hard fought game. Hats off to Pottsvilles team and crowd for the battle. The best team managed to find a way to win at the end.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Porka on March 13, 2017, 04:39:38 pm
No face paint. Had masks on, not sure if that's much different.

Didn't see a Pocahontas admin on the floor, know the superintendent was in the upper deck most of the game.

I won't defend what the students did at the end. Someone said it had something to do with social media. Heard it may have been a case of celebrating with our fans (who were well represented on both sides). May have just been the pure lack of thinking it through. They are 15-18 year olds, we've all been there and have done some stupid things.

Either way, nobody is condoning it on the Pocahontas side and not sure what all can/would be done about it now that the season is over. It shouldn't been done but it is what it is at this point. The team played their butts off and won a hard fought game. Hats off to Pottsvilles team and crowd for the battle. The best team managed to find a way to win at the end.

At the end of the day, kids will be kids.  Didn't mean to take a swipe at the Pokey admin, but that's their job.  I'm sure everybody was caught up in the emotion of winning their first championship (I assume).  In another thread, somebody said the kids were just trying to do a victory lap, but were unaware it was gated off by the Pottsville students to allow for dressing room access.  I'm sure the AAA will seek a solution for the future.  Congrats.

bigchief72455

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on March 14, 2017, 10:50:44 am
At the end of the day, kids will be kids.  Didn't mean to take a swipe at the Pokey admin, but that's their job.  I'm sure everybody was caught up in the emotion of winning their first championship (I assume).  In another thread, somebody said the kids were just trying to do a victory lap, but were unaware it was gated off by the Pottsville students to allow for dressing room access.  I'm sure the AAA will seek a solution for the future.  Congrats.
Third title but the first one since 1996.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas