• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Coaches in 5A this year

Started by Ballislife1, February 18, 2017, 10:52:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballislife1

Just wondering who y'all thought did a good job this year in 5A with the teams they had!

Ponca

gotta be Maumelle coach. Didn't see them coming back so strong this season.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Ponca on February 19, 2017, 10:29:37 pm
Why they brought in 4 or 5 new players. Didn't expect nothing less.

Ponca

Quote from: Cajun Hog on February 19, 2017, 10:32:37 pm
Why they brought in 4 or 5 new players. Didn't expect nothing less.

True.

Definitely not Parkview coach. I respect him and he's one of the most respected coaches in the state, but I think they underachieved.

Gotta be Mills coach or Harrison coach then.

Ballislife1

Mills coach did a good job as well. I was wondering about Greenbriers coach. I seen them play Vilonia. Very well coached and not much size or talent. Went 9-3 in conference with that talent was impressive to me

Marblehog

It would be a better thread if we did worst coaches.  I could come up with several

woopork

Quote from: Ponca on February 19, 2017, 10:29:37 pm

They have one player from last year. And a bunch of move ins. I'm watching right now and haven't seen him do much of anything. Someone there appears to be a good recruiter though. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: woopork on February 20, 2017, 05:50:48 pm
They have one player from last year. And a bunch of move ins. I'm watching right now and haven't seen him do much of anything. Someone there appears to be a good recruiter though. 

Coach Shook's biggest challenge this season has been getting a roster that runs 10 deep to play together as a team. Our second 5 would start at most schools, and I think pretty much everyone who has seen significant minutes has started at some point this year.

With that being said, we've had some close games where he's made some pretty good adjustments on the fly. Just because he has a lot of talent doesn't mean he doesn't have to coach.

mijally

Recruiting?  Look at the talent level in central Ar. You don't have to recruit for basketball. Sylvan Hills, NLR, Maumelle, LRCA, Parkview, Fair, Mills, Hall, Baptist Prep, Episcopal, Central. All those teams are good.

Hornet Pride

You have no clue to what you are talking about.
They have 3 new kids, which only one starts.
Sometimes 2.
Robinson
Word
Fuller
Green
All there last year

woopork

Quote from: mijally on February 20, 2017, 08:24:53 pm
Recruiting?  Look at the talent level in central Ar. You don't have to recruit for basketball. Sylvan Hills, NLR, Maumelle, LRCA, Parkview, Fair, Mills, Hall, Baptist Prep, Episcopal, Central. All those teams are good.

I know. It's a much higher talent level. But They replaced a lot with guys from other places. I was impressed with Greene's stroke tonight and I like how number 5 played too.

Chief_Osceola™

Tyren and Darius were on last year's team too.

mijally

Quote from: woopork on February 20, 2017, 11:08:08 pm
I know. It's a much higher talent level. But They replaced a lot with guys from other places. I was impressed with Greene's stroke tonight and I like how number 5 played too.
Actually they only replaced Shawn Williams and Tyler Hall. It just seemed like a lot because Shawn was scoring over 20 a game.

jrhall2

I think the best coaches will separate themselves in the next two weeks. JMO

MikeDiesel™

I think there is a difference in best coach in 5A and the 'Coach of the Year'.

The best coaches don't always have much talent, but their teams play fundamental basketball.  I've really enjoyed (even though I know they haven't) watching teams like Valley View and Paragould play this year without their stars that graduated this past year.  Both teams have had bad years, but their teams play hard every night and more often then not had a chance to win (those 2 were 3 of Blytheville's losses this year). 

I look at teams that succeed year after year and wonder if the high school coach is the reason for the success or the junior high coach played a bigger role.  Part of that can only be determined by watching how the game is coached.  Do they adjust during the game well?  Are the players in position to perform their best?  How are the players succeeding in life after graduation?  Does the coach care about the kids or are they in it to keep building up their own name? 

hogfan7

Well it sure isn't Richey at Beebe. ::)

hoopstar

Quote from: Ponca on February 19, 2017, 10:36:29 pm
True.

Definitely not Parkview coach. I respect him and he's one of the most respected coaches in the state, but I think they underachieved.

Gotta be Mills coach or Harrison coach then.

Yup Parkview really under achieved this year.   😁😂😅

Burks

Parkview is right where I thought they would be. The Patriots don't have the elite point guard like the teams of the past.  To be in the State Championship game again without a true lead guard is great coaching to me. Coach Flanagan gets my vote.

mijally

The best coach in 5A just might be the girls coach from Watson Chapel?  They're in the finals again.  How many state championships does she have already?  Four I believe going for five.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: hoopstar on March 05, 2017, 12:53:02 am
Yup Parkview really under achieved this year.   😁😂😅

They were predicted to be a top 25 nationally ranked team so, yeah a little bit.

They should dominate people even without great shooters.

jrhall2

By far the most talented roster in the state. Parkview is huge, fast, and very athletic. If they got out and ran like they could they would be top 25 nationally no doubt!

woopork

Quote from: mijally on March 05, 2017, 07:39:08 pm
The best coach in 5A just might be the girls coach from Watson Chapel?  They're in the finals again.  How many state championships does she have already?  Four I believe going for five.

I would agree with that. I think she does a really good job. It showed in the PA game in the last couple minutes.

Grond

Quote from: MikeDiesel™ on February 21, 2017, 12:45:24 pm

The best coaches don't always have much talent, but their teams play fundamental basketball.  I've really enjoyed (even though I know they haven't) watching teams like Valley View and Paragould play this year without their stars that graduated this past year.  Both teams have had bad years, but their teams play hard every night and more often then not had a chance to win (those 2 were 3 of Blytheville's losses this year). 

I look at teams that succeed year after year and wonder if the high school coach is the reason for the success or the junior high coach played a bigger role.  Part of that can only be determined by watching how the game is coached.  Do they adjust during the game well?  Are the players in position to perform their best?  How are the players succeeding in life after graduation?  Does the coach care about the kids or are they in it to keep building up their own name?

Regarding the 5A East: There were several "feel good" stories.

Lindsey is the boys coach at Paragould, and I thought he did a tremendous job. He introduced the 1-3-1 zone defense, and had his guys running it remarkably well. Of the 6 or 7 guys that played for Paragould, there were only two Seniors; so we are already looking forward to next year. (Paragould did not make the playoffs.)

I think Blytheville and Green County Tech Boys performed well, too. Both of these programs have had a different coach every year for about the past 3 years, so making the State playoffs was a great accomplishment. Hopefully they can have some consistency.

Missco

I figure the guy at Blytheville  will stay awhile. Hopefully they can get it back to normal. I predict they will be good again next season.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Grond on March 06, 2017, 12:22:46 pm
Regarding the 5A East: There were several "feel good" stories.

Lindsey is the boys coach at Paragould, and I thought he did a tremendous job. He introduced the 1-3-1 zone defense, and had his guys running it remarkably well. Of the 6 or 7 guys that played for Paragould, there were only two Seniors; so we are already looking forward to next year. (Paragould did not make the playoffs.)

I think Blytheville and Green County Tech Boys performed well, too. Both of these programs have had a different coach every year for about the past 3 years, so making the State playoffs was a great accomplishment. Hopefully they can have some consistency.

What will Greene County Tech have coming back Grond? Any talent coming up to bring them back to the Bowlin days?

Central AR

Quote from: Burks on March 05, 2017, 08:29:21 am
Parkview is right where I thought they would be. The Patriots don't have the elite point guard like the teams of the past.  To be in the State Championship game again without a true lead guard is great coaching to me. Coach Flanagan gets my vote.

Rod Terry is one of the better point guards in the state and rarely do you see an elite point guard in Arkansas. He's got 4-5 division 1 players on his team right now. Only an idiot couldn't coach this team to at least the semi-finals.

hoopstar

Quote from: Central AR on March 08, 2017, 10:30:44 am
Rod Terry is one of the better point guards in the state and rarely do you see an elite point guard in Arkansas. He's got 4-5 division 1 players on his team right now. Only an idiot couldn't coach this team to at least the semi-finals.

Wow. Going 28-5 and losing to nationally ranked Jonesboro, El Dorado, a holiday tournament game, at Maumelle and at LRCA without their best player is under achieving? I guess winning 6 titles is not enough to be considered a "good" coach... 👍

jrhall2

Without his best player st Maumelle???

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: hoopstar on March 09, 2017, 04:48:36 pm
Wow. Going 28-5 and losing to nationally ranked Jonesboro, El Dorado, a holiday tournament game, at Maumelle and at LRCA without their best player is under achieving? I guess winning 6 titles is not enough to be considered a "good" coach... 👍

*28-6

Central AR

Quote from: hoopstar on March 09, 2017, 04:48:36 pm

Never once said he's not a good coach but he's been handed some of the best rosters in the state for years. Every team you mentioned that he lost too, he had more talent than all but Jonesboro. I know you can't win them all but he's got the best coaching job in the state, talent wise.

Grond

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on March 08, 2017, 10:19:04 am
What will Greene County Tech have coming back Grond? Any talent coming up to bring them back to the Bowlin days?

I am not sure about Greene County Tech. Watched them play, but I don't know their roster very well.

cannon

March 10, 2017, 12:00:47 pm #31 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:03:24 pm by cannon
Quote from: MikeDiesel™ on February 21, 2017, 12:45:24 pm

It's a poor example, because my daughter is on the team & I'm biased, but I see Tim Hawkins, the girls coach at Valley view, the same way. He took the least talented team we've seen in a decade to the quarterfinals, and while there were certainly a few "destiny" moments that helped, I'm convinced that superior coaching is the only thing that got them through the first round of district.

Often times, to evaluate the quality of a coach, you have to watch them when they have nothing to work with.

Sports24/7

March 11, 2017, 09:22:20 pm #32 Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:26:29 pm by Sports24/7
I have seen the remarks of Paragould's coach and the possible likelihood of Blytheville and GCT's coaching consistency since they have been up in the air the last 2-3 years with the coaching changes.

Regarding the 5A East Coaches, I know they have had new ones in all those places like GCT and Blytheville, but what about some of these coaches that have been in their schools for a while like at Nettleton?
What's everyone's thoughts on McCord there at Nettleton? They had a pretty good, athletic squad this year. Just curious and thought I'd throw that name out there.

Grond

Quote from: cannon on March 10, 2017, 12:00:47 pm
It's a poor example, because my daughter is on the team & I'm biased, but I see Tim Hawkins, the girls coach at Valley view, the same way. He took the least talented team we've seen in a decade to the quarterfinals, and while there were certainly a few "destiny" moments that helped, I'm convinced that superior coaching is the only thing that got them through the first round of district.

Often times, to evaluate the quality of a coach, you have to watch them when they have nothing to work with.

The Valley View girls basketball program is another good example of consistent coaching. As is Paragould. But while we are on the subject of Valley View basketball.......

When are you folks going to add the missing row of lights behind the Visitor's Goal?!?

Grond

Quote from: Sports24/7 on March 11, 2017, 09:22:20 pm
I have seen the remarks of Paragould's coach and the possible likelihood of Blytheville and GCT's coaching consistency since they have been up in the air the last 2-3 years with the coaching changes.

Regarding the 5A East Coaches, I know they have had new ones in all those places like GCT and Blytheville, but what about some of these coaches that have been in their schools for a while like at Nettleton?
What's everyone's thoughts on McCord there at Nettleton? They had a pretty good, athletic squad this year. Just curious and thought I'd throw that name out there.

Nettleton Boys certainly played well this year, winning the conference. The coach and the program certainly deserve respect.

But the Nettleton coach tends to make me scratch my head. It seems like he rotates the lineup too much, and pulls players when they make any mistake. It seems a group on the floor doesn't get enough time to 'gel', to get used to playing together.

That is my view as having seen Nettleton as an opponent over the past 5 years. I must also confess that I did NOT see Nettleton play this year, so some of my criticisms were probably addressed or overcome. Or (more likely), I am simply wrong!  :P

teachers pet

Will be interesting to see how Eddie Lamb does at Lakeside considering he is taking Jessieville's best 2 players with him.

godeep

Let me get this right. Forrest City has won 2 of the last 4 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS and Lofton isn't one of the tops in the East.  Hilarious!!! 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: godeep on August 07, 2017, 02:54:55 pm
Let me get this right. Forrest City has won 2 of the last 4 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS and Lofton isn't one of the tops in the East.  Hilarious!!! 

Key words in this thread being 'this year'. How did FC do this past season? If we were talking 2016, I think you're absolutely right.

godeep

You're correct Chief. Was reading and didn't consider title of topic. All of those did decent job this year.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: godeep on August 07, 2017, 08:44:42 pm
You're correct Chief. Was reading and didn't consider title of topic. All of those did decent job this year.

No worries. Seriously, he did a heck of a job in 2016 and should've been a unanimous choice.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas