• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A South Regional @ Nashville

Started by ~WPS~, February 18, 2017, 10:06:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

~WPS~

February 18, 2017, 10:06:09 am Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:14:25 pm by ~WPS~
Boys Bracket

2/22 - Wednesday
Game 2: (1) Nashville vs (4) Dollarway - 5:30
Game 4: (1) Warren vs (4) Mena - 8:30

2/23 - Thursday
Game 6: (2) Monticello vs (3) Robinson - 5:30
Game 8: (2) Bauxite vs (3) Dumas - 8:30

2/24 - Friday
Game 10:  Nashville vs Robinson - 5:30
Game 12:  Warren vs Bauxite - 8:30

2/25 - Saturday
3rd Place:  Robinson vs Bauxite - 1:30
Championship:  Nashville vs Warren - 7:30

Boys State Seeding
1.  Warren
2.  Nashville
3.  Robinson
4.  Bauxite

Girls Bracket

2/22 - Wednesday
Game 1: (1) Ashdown vs (4) Dollarway - 4:00
Game 3: (1) Star City vs (4) Arkadelphia - 7:00

2/23 - Thursday
Game 5: (2) Monticello vs (3) Nashville - 4:00
Game 7: (2) Malvern vs (3) Dumas - 7:00

2/24 - Friday
Game 9:  Dollarway vs Monticello - 4:00
Game 11:  Star City vs Dumas - 7:00

2/25 - Saturday
3rd Place:  Dollarway vs Dumas - 12:00
Championship:  Monticello vs Star City - 6:00

Girls State Seeding
1.  Star City
2.  Monticello
3.  Dumas
4.  Dollarway

~WPS~

Bulldog92

Thanks WPS!!  By the way check your PM.

~WPS~

Bulldog92

Alright try but again. Think I figured out this messaging thing, LOL.

miamiskeeter

I looked on the AAA website & it shows that Monticello & Warren have byes in the first round of Regionals. Is that correct or a mistake?

~WPS~

Quote from: miamiskeeter on February 19, 2017, 06:07:42 pm
I looked on the AAA website & it shows that Monticello & Warren have byes in the first round of Regionals. Is that correct or a mistake?
It's a mistake. It doesn't have the 3 & 4 seed from 7-4A in the bracket so it automatically moved Warren and Monticello on. I'm sure they'll correct it. The bracket in this thread is correct.

~WPS~

Quote from: Bulldog92 on February 18, 2017, 09:24:43 pm
Alright try but again. Think I figured out this messaging thing, LOL.
Now you need to check your PM. Lol

Greatdane6

~WPS~

I'll try to have my annual regional preview up tonight.

Greatdane6

Now WPS I haven't seen the 7-4a boys teams but heard they were sound this year but I have seen the 8-4a boys and like I said before in the 7-4a District Tournament Blog that I wouldn't be surprised if the 8-4a get swept but looking at the Bracket It may not happen but I see both #1seeds handling there business while both #2seeds Get upset. (Warren over Mena) (Nashville over D-Way) (Robinson over Monticello) and (Dumas over Bauxite) first round

BobKat

Quote from: Greatdane6 on February 20, 2017, 11:47:30 am
Now WPS I haven't seen the 7-4a boys teams but heard they were sound this year but I have seen the 8-4a boys and like I said before in the 7-4a District Tournament Blog that I wouldn't be surprised if the 8-4a get swept but looking at the Bracket It may not happen but I see both #1seeds handling there business while both #2seeds Get upset. (Warren over Mena) (Nashville over D-Way) (Robinson over Monticello) and (Dumas over Bauxite) first round
why do you think those upsets would happen?

springdalesmitty

AAA Website has the Regional Bracket wrong I assume?

Greatdane6

Quote from: BobKat on February 20, 2017, 12:17:33 pm
why do you think those upsets would happen?
Well Bobkat if you was referring to the Dumas then I feel that Dumas can not only win the first game but can beat Warren the second time around their will be more prepared and get one of the  byes in STATE. But the Monticello team this year is a Disappointment. No Competition in the 3a4a blended conference where their best win this year Was Mcgehee at home which is one of the best 3a teams in state and Drew Central? really?at least Dumas play better competition in y'all 3a 4a blend.

Greatdane6

Also about the Monticello their looks like these slow starts be Killing them this year and I want Monticello to win yes but I'm not based on the district I watched them all year long. Especially against stiff competition

Greatdane6

They don't play like a team that will put fear in a opponent and looks like they don't play together as a group, don't rebound nor play sound half court defense until the fourth quarter and it seem like a coaching error . Sherrer a good coach need to play this group full court and let them run and pick up full court man because I hate to say it but this group as No Offense this year they have no one maybe the Brown Kid and a Freshman that don't start is the only playmakers they got in the half court so let the others create turnovers for them and run Use the fact that they are a full court team this year where they get points off turnovers instead of playing half court basketball and use their high flyers to finish.

BobKat

Quote from: Greatdane6 on February 20, 2017, 01:00:40 pm
Well Bobkat if you was referring to the Dumas then I feel that Dumas can not only win the first game but can beat Warren the second time around their will be more prepared and get one of the  byes in STATE. But the Monticello team this year is a Disappointment. No Competition in the 3a4a blended conference where their best win this year Was Mcgehee at home which is one of the best 3a teams in state and Drew Central? really?at least Dumas play better competition in y'all 3a 4a blend.
in your pasts posts you said it wouldn't surprise you if the 7-4A swept the 8-4A, why do you change your mind now?

FootBallar21

Im taking Mena over Warren
Nashville over Dollarway
then the Robinson vs Monticello game should be a great one,  Im going Robinson though.
and then Bauxite to finish the Sweep get your brooms ready!   

Warren and Monticello both have solid shots to win but I think the 7-4A gets it done with the upsets though! 

Either way should be some great basketball played!

Bulldog92

We going to have to start another thread for the girls side of things!! 

AirWarren

Quote from: FootBallar21 on February 20, 2017, 01:43:24 pm
Im taking Mena over Warren
Nashville over Dollarway
then the Robinson vs Monticello game should be a great one,  Im going Robinson though.
and then Bauxite to finish the Sweep get your brooms ready!   

Warren and Monticello both have solid shots to win but I think the 7-4A gets it done with the upsets though! 

Either way should be some great basketball played!

Haha.

Where have I seen you predict Mena over Warren before.

We will see.

Greatdane6

Quote from: BobKat on February 20, 2017, 01:36:25 pm
in your pasts posts you said it wouldn't surprise you if the 7-4A swept the 8-4A, why do you change your mind now?
well first I don't want it to happen crap I hope it will be the other way around but before the bracket I was just judging on the competition from last year teams to now 8-4a teams but looking at the bracket, I really like warren to win and Dumas to win. Usless Monticello play and hard nose full court Man witch they have guys that can create turnovers and finish then I now see 3teams from our side to win. And no I didn't said that it will happen because I don't won't it to happen go 8-4a. Lol

~WPS~

Quote from: Bulldog92 on February 20, 2017, 02:03:20 pm
We going to have to start another thread for the girls side of things!!
SC will win and it won't be competitive.

Billie Blue

Quote from: Greatdane6 on February 20, 2017, 01:00:40 pm
I would have to disagree with you on a lot of those comments about Monticello one is the competition in the 3-4A blend there a lot of good teams in that conference jc, drew central and Mcgehee Fordyce all Monticello beat except McGhee at their place but true Monticello is a little down this year compared to past teams but we have also played stiff competition earlier in the year a lot of our problems as of late have been missed free throws and not rebounding as we should and I've watched them all year also but I think between now and Thursday a whole lot of it can and will be corrected and a lot of some of it is youth that guard that doesn't start made a crucial mistake towards the end of the game when he let the ball roll  and the warren player picked it up  freshman mistake but he will be all right great player and I will say that the 8-4A will go 2 and 2 in the boys with Monticello and Warren advancing and 2 and 2 in the girls with Monticello and star city advancing

BobKat

i have a good one for y'all. With nashville's girls being 24-4 and playing at home against a good monticello team, who do you think will win?

Bulldog92

Quote from: BobKat on February 20, 2017, 03:48:10 pm
i have a good one for y'all. With nashville's girls being 24-4 and playing at home against a good monticello team, who do you think will win?
You tell me your prediction first, LOL!!

BobKat

Quote from: Bulldog92 on February 20, 2017, 04:10:14 pm
You tell me your prediction first, LOL!!
i'm riding with the 8-4A in all games

AirItOut21

Quote from: BobKat on February 20, 2017, 03:48:10 pm

Monticello will win that game. If Nashville had a good coach I would say otherwise. That guy has been underachieving for years. A first round loss in regionals wouldn't be a surprise.

I don't see the girls division being very competitive.

Bulldog92

Quote from: BobKat on February 20, 2017, 04:55:22 pm
i'm riding with the 8-4A in all games
I hope your right.  I think you will agree that SC and Monticello will probably win their first games.  If Dumas will come out and play the entire game they will have a very good chance.  DW going up against the #1 seed is a tough one to call.   

~WPS~

BOYS PREVIEW

(1st 7) Nashville (24-3)  vs  (4th 8] Dollarway (8-19)
The Teams...
Nashville is in the midst of its best season in school history. The Scrappers, led by seniors Darius Hopkins and CJ Spencer, are playing their best basketball at the right time of the year. Hopkins, who leads the team in points and assists, likes to drive inside and can score or dish it off.  Spencer is an athletic big man that has range and quick feet. Nashville has multiple players who can knock down an outside shot including Jailon Finley and sharp shooter Jamarta Gilliam. The Scrappers base out of the 1-3-1 on defense and thrive on quick hands, jumping passing lanes and scoring in transition  ...  Dollarway has improved throughout the season, gaining back two key players for the second half of the season. The Cardinals are also playing their best basketball right now. Dollarway is a senior heavy team and uses near a 10 man rotation. They are led by guard Markel Woolfolk and post player Keyon Washington. Woolfolk is the team's leading scorer and Washington dominates the boards. Dollarway likes playing a fast paced game, getting out in transition, and taking 3's. They mostly play an extended pressure 2-3 defense. They can be streaky, and their offense and defense feed off each other.
The Matchup...
This should be a fast paced, exciting game. Dollarway is a dangerous team; if the 3 ball is falling and they can force turnovers, they have a shot at an upset. The battle inside between Spencer and Washington, and Dollarway's ability to stop Hopkins from driving will be keys. Home court advantage could prove a deciding factor as Nashville is 14-0 at home this season.
WPS' Prediction:  Nashville by 10

(2nd 8] Monticello (20-7)  vs  (3rd 7) Robinson (16-10)
The Teams...
Monticello will no doubt enter the regional on a mission after not winning the 8-4A title for the first time. The Billies are led by a talented senior class that has postseason winning experience.  Guard Saniyass Brown is the team's best scorer and is automatic from mid-range. Forward Jonathon Deshazer is a athletic slasher. The Billies utilize two freshmen guards and also lack a true post threat. Monticello is extremely athletic and loves to run in transition. They play mostly man defense and some 1-3-1  ...  Robinson is a very athletic team with good size. The Senators are led by PG duo Cameron Bush and Trey Rouse, both are excellent ball handlers and can hit from deep or drive and score. Forward Hunter Swoboda is a strong inside presence. Robinson loves to shoot the deep ball, rarely passes up an open shot, and can live or die by it. They like to play fast and get the ball down the court in transition. The Senators will play some man defense and have also shown to be successful in a 1-3-1. Small forward Edmond Robinson provides good defense at the top of the 1-3-1 and is a hustle player that provides a spark to the Senators.
The Matchup...
This game will be a track meet and probably the most "worth the price of admission" game of a great set of games in the 1st round. Robinson will have an advantage inside, but will be matched at the guard spots. Robinson's ability, or lack of ability, to knock down 3s will play a factor. If the Senators are hitting from deep they are tough to beat; however, if they are not they struggle at times to find other ways to score. Monticello's postseason experience could play a factor. This could simply come down to who wins the boards and transition points.
WPS' Prediction:  Monticello by 4

(1st 8] Warren (19-11)  vs  (4th 7) Mena (14-15)
The Teams...
Warren is a very young, athletic team with good size. The Lumberjacks start a freshman, 3 sophomores, and one senior. They were expected to be a year or two away from being a very good team, but no one told the Lumberjacks that as they became the first team other than Monticello to win 8-4A since the Billies moved to 4A in 2012. Warren's biggest strength is its size, and is led inside by Treylon Burks. Warren's backcourt is led by Javion Robinson and freshman Vincent Steppes. Steppes' quickness and skills have provided a spark for the Lumberjacks. Warren plays mainly a 1-3-1 defense and hangs their hat on playing good half court defense  ...  Mena's record may be deceiving; the Bearcats are 11-3 since the middle of January. Entering the district tournament, Mena was the hottest team in 7-4A. They are led by a strong junior class, which includes guard Cross Hughes. Hughes is an exceptional ball handler and can score from anywhere in the court. Darius Sims is an athletic 3/4 position player  that can score inside and out. The Bearcats lack a real post threat and size overall. They thrive on hitting from deep and drives by guards. Mena mixes things up on defense.
The Matchup...
If Mena can't keep up on the boards or stop Warren inside, they will have to knock down 3's to keep pace. Mena frequently goes to full court 2-2-1 pressure, which could be an equalizer if they can force turnovers. If Mena gets hot from outside and forces some turnovers then it could be time for an upset alert.
WPS' Prediction:  Warren by 5

(2nd 7) Bauxite (21-8 )  vs  (3rd 8] Dumas (16-10)
The Teams...
Bauxite starts 5 juniors, and rotates about 8 players, all of whom are underclassmen. The Miners are a guard heavy team led by Graham Chenault, Jacob Stroud, Colton Robinson, and Derrick Strong. Chenault and Stroud are excellent shooters and Robinson and Strong are physical and quick with an ability to finish inside. Cooper Wright is a solid post player that provides an inside threat on both sides of the ball. The Miner offense is very good at ball movement and finding an open shot, and love to shoot the 3. They use a variety of defensive schemes but probably play most in a 2-3  ...  Dumas is a dangerous 3 seed led by two seniors, Bryant Scott and Justin Tatum. Scott is a 6'7" post player that specializes on defense as a rim protector. Tatum, the team's leading scorer, is a talented guard that can score from anywhere. Dumas also has a skilled freshman guard, Chris Harris. Harris is the coach's son and is an excellent 3pt shooter. Dumas primarily plays a tough half court man defense and likes to get out in transition.
The Matchup...
Bauxite is a streaky team from outside and at times lets that decide the outcome of games. Bauxite will probably rely on the outside shot with Dumas' shot blocker inside. Dumas will have a size advantage and should control the boards. Scott's ability to be more of a threat offensively will be a key. However, there is the chance this game becomes a 3pt shooting contest.
WPS' Prediction:  Bauxite by 1

~WPS~

February 20, 2017, 05:57:03 pm #29 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:02:49 pm by ~WPS~
GIRLS PREVIEW

(1st 7) Ashdown (15-13)  vs  (4th 8] Dollarway (10-19)
The Teams...
Ashdown has gotten hot and is playing their best entering the postseason. Ashdown is led by underclassmen Cambre McCollough and Adaysia Thompson. McCollough is a small but well skilled point guard. She also has very good range, as does much of Ashdown's team. Thompson is an athletic post player that dominates the glass and is a threat on both sides of the ball. Ashdown likes to take the 3, they have multiple players that can hit from deep, and won't hesitate when open. Ashdown primarily uses a variety of zone defenses  ...  Dollarway is led by guard Jayana Sanders. Sanders averages near 30 ppg and has scored 67% of Dollarway's points this year. She leads the team in virtually every category other than rebounding. Sanders scored over 90% of her team's points in the district tournament. Sanders can shoot from outside, but wants to drive and score and/or get to the line.
The Matchup...
This one is going to come down to how many points Sanders can score. Ashdown will be able to score points, they hold the advantage at every position except where Sanders is. Ashdown won't stop her, but if they can contain her and hold her to under 40 points, then Ashdown should win. If Sanders goes off for 40+ it gives Dollarway a shot.
WPS' Prediction:  Ashdown by 8

(2nd 8] Monticello (27-4)  vs  (3rd 7) Nashville (24-4)
The Teams...
Monticello has a strong senior class that has tasted postseason success and hungry talented underclassmen. Monticello has numerous solid guards that can shoot and drive and score. Kiarra Franklin, Taylor Donald, and Shania Smith lead the team from the guard spots. Brandashia Hargraves is an athletic senior that can play inside or outside. Monticello is a very fast team that plays tough defense and can get out and run  ...  At one point this season Nashville was riding a 16 game win streak, but struggles offensively in the half court over the past few weeks has led to a disappointing 3 seed. Nashville is led by seniors Kendall Kirchhoff and Asia Munn. Kirchhoff is a good ball handler and 3pt shooter. Munn can drive and score and is a plus rebounder from the 3 position. Nashville has two post players that have range, including Madi Miller who is athletic at the 4 spot. Nashville plays mostly zone defense in 1-3-1 and some 2-3. They are a very good half court defense team, are quick, and have active hands. Nashville is best when they force turnovers and get the ball to Munn in transition.
The Matchup...
Nashville's recent offensive inconsistency must be fixed by Thursday. Monticello will play swarming defense and give few good looks, which means Nashville will need its defense to create chances. Nashville's best offense is its defense, getting Munn the ball in transition. Both teams can force turnovers and pile up transition points. Monticello will have the overall athletic/speed advantage. This will come down to who can hold onto the ball and execute in the half court.
WPS' Prediction:  Monticello by 12

(1st 8] Star City (27-2)  vs  (4th 7) Arkadelphia (14-16)
The Teams...
Star City is led by a talented senior class that has won a lot of games over the past 4 years. The LadyDogs are fast, big, skilled, and very well coached. The are led by seniors Sarajane Linsy, Larena Walker, and Amira Ford. Linsy is a dominating athletic forward that finishes strong at the rim, controls the boards, and bullies on defense. Walker is a combo guard who leads the offense, she is a good shooter and ball handler. Ford is another athletic combo guard that has great speed and ball handling skills, and is an excellent defender. The LadyDogs have a lot of good players and will play quite a few, but I think everyone gets the idea so I'll just stop after those 3 players. With plus size and speed, Star City plays suffocating defense which sparks runs that can knock a team out of the game quick  ...  Arkadelphia has steadily improved over the past few years, putting together a strong season this year, and has earned a trip to the regionals for the first time since moving to 4A in 2012. They are rewarded by playing Star City. Arkadelphia is led by guard Allie Harris and post August McClure. McClure is very good on the inside and has frequented double-double status this year.
The Matchup...
There's not a lot to say here. No disrespect to Arkadelphia, but they are just simply overmatched, as will be every other team in this regional. The only question is how bad does SC let it get.
WPS' Prediction:  Star City by 45

(2nd 7) Malvern (12-11)  vs  (3rd 8] Dumas (19-11)
The Teams...
Malvern is led by guards Laney Wallace and Sierra Smith. Wallace has very good PG skills, can drive and score inside, and is a big 3pt threat. Smith is an athletic combo guard that has good range and can drive to the basket. Malvern likes to work the ball inside to get an open look outside. They lack a true post player and struggle at times on the boards. Defensively, Malvern will use various schemes, but plays mostly zone in a 3-2 or 2-3  ...  Dumas is a young team with only one senior on roster. They are athletic and have good size. Dumas doesn't have any star players but gets contributions from all players.
The Matchup...
This game is a toss up. Malvern can knock down some 3s but struggles to score points at times. Malvern likes to push the ball and Dumas struggles at times when the game gets fast-paced. The key for Malvern is to attack and get up early. For Dumas it is to use their size to win inside.
WPS' Prediction:  Malvern by 1

~WPS~

There's the annual WPS preview with my research, thoughts, and predictions on each 1st round game.

As always feel free to add in your thoughts, predictions, and correct me on anything I missed.

Ice Water

These boards need more posts like this. Props to you WPS.

Bulldog92

WPS great job and appreciate the time you took to put this together!! 

Greatdane6

Greatdane6

Quote from: Billie Blue on February 20, 2017, 03:29:17 pm
I would have to disagree with you on a lot of those comments about Monticello one is the competition in the 3-4A blend there a lot of good teams in that conference jc, drew central and Mcgehee Fordyce all Monticello beat except McGhee at their place but true Monticello is a little down this year compared to past teams but we have also played stiff competition earlier in the year a lot of our problems as of late have been missed free throws and not rebounding as we should and I've watched them all year also but I think between now and Thursday a whole lot of it can and will be corrected and a lot of some of it is youth that guard that doesn't start made a crucial mistake towards the end of the game when he let the ball roll  and the warren player picked it up  freshman mistake but he will be all right great player and I will say that the 8-4A will go 2 and 2 in the boys with Monticello and Warren advancing and 2 and 2 in the girls with Monticello and star city advancing
meaning the Pippen kid which is a very good player just a young mistake saw the whole thing right in front of us ball hit the back of his foot. But we argee with the Drew Central comp and the Mcgehee comp which the Deshezer kid didn't play so it could have went either way. J-City didn't show me nothing this their down year also but Fordyce Lake Village Smackover for 3a and the Weak Ashley County teams, no way. And I was just speaking on the 3a/4a blend at first. Now yes y'all did play against Harber Brookland and Paragould earlier Pine Bluff after Christmas and Pea Ridge but no wins which the Pea Ridge game up by 8 in the Fourth and blew it ended up a 4 point loss. Maybe they will turn the corner in the tournament. Now as of late I hate it that they start slow like that and again don't start playing until the Fourth in Majority of their games don't need to play like that down There or y'all at the house for sure. 

noonerricky

Region 8 will get swept this year, although I still root for Warren. I am glad to see their basketball is starting to show signs of success.

FootBallar21

Very Good preview WPS,  it also appears Mena to be without their starter who missed all of the conference tournament as well which hurts their size and overall defense without him it will be tough to pull the upset.     Should be a very good game though.   

Bulldog92

Noonerricky I am assuming you just mean the boys side??

3shooter

I think it could be a rematch of the 7-4a district championship. Bauxite vs Nashville.
Bauxite is a team that could beat anyone any given nite. They lost to baptist on qeustionable call in OT.Also could get beat by anyone when everyone not involved.
Nashville is just pretty good and athletic. Tough to beat at home also.

Greatdane6

Didn't Nashville had a kid Name TD Walton where is he

~WPS~

Quote from: Greatdane6 on February 21, 2017, 08:52:43 pm
Didn't Nashville had a kid Name TD Walton where is he
Long story... He moved to Hope.

FootBallar21

Actually with some recent information,
Im changing my pick in the Mena game to
Warren 56 - Mena 39

~WPS~

Quote from: FootBallar21 on February 22, 2017, 09:43:01 am
Actually with some recent information,
Im changing my pick in the Mena game to
Warren 56 - Mena 39
Mena lose another player?

noonerricky

Quote from: Bulldog92 on February 21, 2017, 01:38:33 pm
Noonerricky I am assuming you just mean the boys side??

Absolutely, the girls side will be vice versa. Region 8 sweeps the girls

BEAR

Quote from: noonerricky on February 22, 2017, 10:20:50 am
Any games live streamed

BEAR

Quote from: noonerricky on February 22, 2017, 10:20:50 am
Any games live streamed

~WPS~

Nashville games can be heard online but I'm unaware of any video streams. If I find out anything I'll post it.

~WPS~

Girls

Ashdown 10
Dollarway 9

End 1Q

Sanders with all 9 points

Jack1990

And she will probably wind up with 95% of their points.

~WPS~

Girls

Dollarway 20
Ashdown 18

Halftime

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas