• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discussion of Larger Venue of Hoops Finals

Started by bbfan89, March 11, 2016, 07:04:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bbfan89

Why does the AAA let an arena that holds only 6400 people have a state tournament that could sell almost double the tickets at another arena.  On the radio during the class A final the arena was full and they had to stop selling tickets. Can't they figure out that basketball fans will stick around to watch other finals. Verizon with 18,000, Bud Walton with 19,000 or even the ASU Convocation Center with 10,400 would all be better choices. Now that ASU will have a new convention center on campus maybe they will pursue the finals in a couple of years. I would not be very happy if I were a Bentonville or Cabot fan who arrived only to be told tickets were no longer being sold. Wake up AAA.

tacomeat

AAA time to move into Verizon Permanently!! Or work out a rotation between Verizon, Bud Walton, & the Convo in JBO. State finals have out grown anywhere that can't seat 10,000. Who didn't see this coming. While we are at it increase the minimums for the pre-finals sites as well.

CathywithaC

How PO'd would you be if you bought a ticket at your school, drive from Bentonville or Emerson to be told you can't get in??  It is beyond ridiculous that championship games aren't at Verizon.  Get some corporate sponsors and get with the program.  No excuse for such a poorly run tournament other than AAA's laziness.

bbfan89

The AAA is catching major flack on social media and it serves them right. Hundreds maybe even thousands turned away from watching their team play after driving to Hot Springs. Lets all go to the AAA twitter and Facebook and let them have it. 

OB11

The bad part about this is that Hot Springs and the arena will be begging the AAA to keep having it there.  Too much money made for them not to do everything they can to keep it there.  Not about the fan$ when it comes to the AAA.

Cabotfan

Thanks to Fox and Fearless Friday for getting these games on TV!

Great for high school sports in the state of Arkansas.

itsslim

ricepig

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 11, 2016, 07:04:13 pm
Why does the AAA let an arena that holds only 6400 people have a state tournament that could sell almost double the tickets at another arena.  On the radio during the class A final the arena was full and they had to stop selling tickets. Can't they figure out that basketball fans will stick around to watch other finals. Verizon with 18,000, Bud Walton with 19,000 or even the ASU Convocation Center with 10,400 would all be better choices. Now that ASU will have a new convention center on campus maybe they will pursue the finals in a couple of years. I would not be very happy if I were a Bentonville or Cabot fan who arrived only to be told tickets were no longer being sold. Wake up AAA.

The finals are under contract for Hot Springs until 2021, so sorry fans. As far as a convention center and hotel at ASU, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on it. Verizon Arena would be the logical choice, but 2500-3500 hundred in it looks bad, plus it's way more expensive.

always88

The parking at Bank of the Ozarks Arena is horrible and the seating is even less desirable for an event this large!

bbfan89

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2016, 09:07:41 am
The finals are under contract for Hot Springs until 2021, so sorry fans. As far as a convention center and hotel at ASU, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on it. Verizon Arena would be the logical choice, but 2500-3500 hundred in it looks bad, plus it's way more expensive.
Back in the day the Convo hosted the state tournament for Jonesboro's classification. Any chance that will happen any time soon? As for the convention center at ASU, I don't care if it ever gets built. I do know that Hot Springs is not the place for the state tourney after the current contract expires. All I want to see is a packed house for the kids to play in front of that can accommodate those who want to watch them. it doesn't matter to me if that is Jonesboro, Little Rock, Fayetteville, or even a rotation system. I have seen NEA finals with crowds of over 7,000, I'm sure the state final could bring more than that.

Batman44

As for myself, I'm ready for us "regular people" to unite, and do whatever is necessary to get this situation resolved. Personally, I have fired off a VERY strong email to AAA, and would encourage others to do the same. I know that will not solve anything, but there are other options we may be able to use to get things done.

businesstron

It sucks that we'll be stuck with Hot Springs until 2021.  Unless I have a friend or family playing in a game I won't be going back to Hot Springs for a state title game anytime soon.  That sucks for people that drove so far to be turned back.  Take it back to Barton.

Moonshiner

From what I was told by someone very important to the AAA a few years back, Verizon wanted to charge something like $75,000 rent.  Assuming that's $25,000 per day. My initial number might be off. Trying to keep it as central as possible might explain why Fayettteville is not an option. Or Jonesboro.
Personally I love Hot Springs as the venue.  I didn't at first.  I really liked Pine Bluffs convention center but the town, not so much.
Maybe they can have a 4 day event.  Clear the gym after every 2 games.  I dunno.  That's crazy, but something needs to be done. 

Moonshiner

I will say that parking is HORRIBLE there.  Most tournament venues provide a shuttle of some sort.  But not the AAA.  It's always raining and one of the back lots is super muddy.  You see cars and trucks parked on hillsides.  Several block walks through rain is never good. 

spoony gluv

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 12, 2016, 10:38:39 pm
From what I was told by someone very important to the AAA a few years back, Verizon wanted to charge something like $75,000 rent.  Assuming that's $25,000 per day. My initial number might be off. Trying to keep it as central as possible might explain why Fayettteville is not an option. Or Jonesboro.
Personally I love Hot Springs as the venue.  I didn't at first.  I really liked Pine Bluffs convention center but the town, not so much.
Maybe they can have a 4 day event.  Clear the gym after every 2 games.  I dunno.  That's crazy, but something needs to be done.
I think you are right, adding a day or an extra Friday session. Maybe an 11:00 start on Friday similar to the Saturday schedule. This would ease some of the congestion and create more space between start times. You could have two Thursday night games, Six on Friday and Six on Saturday.

CathywithaC

Quote from: itsslim on March 12, 2016, 07:42:41 am
the AAA is a business
a poorly run one that doesn't have a clue who their customer is or what their mission should be

mrcptkirk

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 11, 2016, 07:04:13 pm

Thats why AAA agreed to have it on TV, they knew that the arena was to small and the more money they put out less money they keep in their pockets.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: businesstron on March 12, 2016, 10:00:14 pm
It sucks that we'll be stuck with Hot Springs until 2021.  Unless I have a friend or family playing in a game I won't be going back to Hot Springs for a state title game anytime soon.  That sucks for people that drove so far to be turned back.  Take it back to Barton.

Barton maybe old but it will hold........no one will be left standing in the cold.

bbfan89

Sounds like there were some great games Saturday night. Can all of you imagine an atmosphere with 10,000 or more in the stands. A lot of people don't go to the finals because they are not sure if they get a seat or not. Hey AAA, if you are dead set on keeping the thing in Hot Springs, go out get some more sponsors and put the games on statewide television or at least on replay. Hint, I'm sure there is money in it for the AAA, and we all know how money is your main concern.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 13, 2016, 07:54:41 am
Sounds like there were some great games Saturday night. Can all of you imagine an atmosphere with 10,000 or more in the stands. A lot of people don't go to the finals because they are not sure if they get a seat or not. Hey AAA, if you are dead set on keeping the thing in Hot Springs, go out get some more sponsors and put the games on statewide television or at least on replay. Hint, I'm sure there is money in it for the AAA, and we all know how money is your main concern.

I would love to see the cash payout for the State tournament.

bbfan89

Cut he season down by a week in the smaller (A-AAAA) classifications and have their championships on a Friday  with three games and a four game Saturday and hold it on the first weekend in March. This would allow multi-sport athletes the opportunity to move on to their spring sport earlier. The Following weekend the big boys and girls could play two game on Friday and four on Saturday. The benefits would be no more pathetic Thursday 3:30 games with small crowds, more time between games for kids to celebrate their win, and if the AAA is desperate for money, clear the gym after two games and make people pay to re-enter. The AAA deems it necessary to have to many classifications and then try to cram fourteen games in three days.

always88

AAA has become a money grubbing machine! It's a great monopoly for those running it.

ricepig

Quote from: always88 on March 13, 2016, 12:47:59 pm
AAA has become a money grubbing machine! It's a great monopoly for those running it.

You mean the member schools, who are the AAA?

itsslim

AAA is a joke, dollar dollar bill y'all!!!

ricepig

Quote from: itsslim on March 13, 2016, 01:30:24 pm
AAA is a joke, dollar dollar bill y'all!!!

Yep, the member schools want it that way.

itsslim

I'm not familiar with other states, but can any compare the AAA to other high school associations and tell me the differences and how Arkansas stands. the good and bad. some thing has to be done

Rocket23

Write or call your school superintendent.  They are the AAA and make the decisions.

Moonshiner

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2016, 01:35:31 pm

Yep, the member schools want it that way.

That is not entirely true.  Not every decision is made by majority vote. 

ricepig

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 13, 2016, 02:45:37 pm
That is not entirely true.  Not every decision is made by majority vote.

Such as? The member schools vote for the Board, the Board may make some decisions, but it's their representatives, correct? There are administrative decisions made by the staff, but those are always subject to an appeal to the Board.

Moonshiner

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2016, 03:26:49 pm
Such as? The member schools vote for the Board, the Board may make some decisions, but it's their representatives, correct? There are administrative decisions made by the staff, but those are always subject to an appeal to the Board.

Member schools vote for district representatives.  Just like any other board, the members ultimately cast one vote.  Maybe it's representative of the member schools they represent, maybe it isn't.  Lance Taylor and staff make suggestions, like these that are contracted out years in advance.  The superintendents don't directly vote on issues like this every year.
This issue of overcrowding has only been an issue the past couple years.  Maybe it's because of the Monk factor with Bentonville and the recent Reeves factor with Cedar Ridge.  To my knowledge those are the only 2 times people were turned away.

ricepig

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 13, 2016, 04:04:22 pm
Member schools vote for district representatives.  Just like any other board, the members ultimately cast one vote.  Maybe it's representative of the member schools they represent, maybe it isn't.  Lance Taylor and staff make suggestions, like these that are contracted out years in advance.  The superintendents don't directly vote on issues like this every year.
This issue of overcrowding has only been an issue the past couple years.  Maybe it's because of the Monk factor with Bentonville and the recent Reeves factor with Cedar Ridge.  To my knowledge those are the only 2 times people were turned away.

No one was suggesting they did, I posted a tweet showing that the games will be in Hot Springs thru 2021, nothing wrong with that. As far as a representative voting the way you like, I mean, that's the way our system works. Sometimes you like it, sometimes you don't. If you don't, then run for that spot.

Moonshiner

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2016, 05:01:56 pm
No one was suggesting they did, I posted a tweet showing that the games will be in Hot Springs thru 2021, nothing wrong with that. As far as a representative voting the way you like, I mean, that's the way our system works. Sometimes you like it, sometimes you don't. If you don't, then run for that spot.

Gotcha.  I thought you were saying that the Supers were the ones to take complaints to because they are the ones that approve such things.  Indirectly they do. 
Personally I'm happy they are in Hot Springs.

Lifetime OWL/Temp BADGER

This has only happen the last 2 years & it's because people who hadn't seen Monk wanted the opportunity to see him. Every year, every game has been fine except the the last 2 that he played in. Also anyone who had purchased tickets in advance was allowed in. At least in know 2 people that were let in at separate time because they had already purchased tickets.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Lifetime OWL/Temp BADGER on March 13, 2016, 10:49:11 pm
This has only happen the last 2 years & it's because people who hadn't seen Monk wanted the opportunity to see him. Every year, every game has been fine except the the last 2 that he played in. Also anyone who had purchased tickets in advance was allowed in. At least in know 2 people that were let in at separate time because they had already purchased tickets.

Monk didn't play on last Saturday and had the same problem! I'm sure there were those who came to see him but he was NOT the reason the arena was sold out both nights. I think it's the location and the number of teams playing within a 1 1/2 hour drive increased attendance.

bbfan89

Not everyone has to be satisfied with the way AAA conducts business. Athletic directors, coaches, and superintendents are not subject to the same rules as us basketball lolvin commoners who actually have to buy a ticket(if you can get in to an undersized venue) to the games. We are all entitled to our opinions about the AAA and anyone else who is responsible for making decisions that negatively impact the regular fans whose dollars make the AAA. Remember, we are not like all the AAA pass flahin free-loaders.

Moonshiner

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 15, 2016, 11:36:28 pm
Not everyone has to be satisfied with the way AAA conducts business. Athletic directors, coaches, and superintendents are not subject to the same rules as us basketball lolvin commoners who actually have to buy a ticket(if you can get in to an undersized venue) to the games. We are all entitled to our opinions about the AAA and anyone else who is responsible for making decisions that negatively impact the regular fans whose dollars make the AAA. Remember, we are not like all the AAA pass flahin free-loaders.

Someone told me that they weren't even letting AAA passes in when the doors were locked.  Surely you're being sarcastic though calling every coach, referee, and administrator a "free loader". 

OB11

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 16, 2016, 09:38:19 am
Someone told me that they weren't even letting AAA passes in when the doors were locked.  Surely you're being sarcastic though calling every coach, referee, and administrator a "free loader".

I take offense to that.  For one, AAA passes are not free.  They are paid for every year through fees.  And all the coaches in the state that have a pass went through four years of college, applied for jobs, and got hired.  Otherwise they wouldn't have a pass. 

ricepig

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on March 16, 2016, 10:01:24 am
I take offense to that.  For one, AAA passes are not free.  They are paid for every year through fees.  And all the coaches in the state that have a pass went through four years of college, applied for jobs, and got hired.  Otherwise they wouldn't have a pass.

You also can be an official, call a few games, and get a pass.

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2016, 11:29:04 am
You also can be an official, call a few games, and get a pass.

FWIW: If you're willing to pay to be a referee, there are NO checks and balances to reliably ensure you are actually calling games.

Moonshiner

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on March 16, 2016, 10:01:24 am

I didn't say it.  Bbfan89 did

OB11

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 16, 2016, 12:31:40 pm
I didn't say it.  Bbfan89 did

I know, I wasn't directing that towards you, just adding to your comment.  I agreed with what you said.

And I was also commenting more on the coach's part of Bbfan89's comment.  I have no idea how the official's operate as far as getting passes.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 16, 2016, 12:19:13 pm
FWIW: If you're willing to pay to be a referee, there are NO checks and balances to reliably ensure you are actually calling games.

Yeah, but I know a guy that calls a couple soccer matches a year and gets a card. His words to me were to do the same, I said I'm not that bored to call soccer.  ;D

DerekOxford

Oldref

AAA is going to use this as an excuse to go to before noon games and two game sessions so they can empty the place and charge people again to get in. I would be in favor of adding a couple of dollars to the ticket price and go to Verizon and make it where all fans can go and have confidence they can get in stay for a day and watch all the games. I don't understand why the AAA keeps wanting to take the "small ball" approach. It could be the high school event of the year if someone would pull the right switches and get it done. I know a lot more people who would come if they had confidence they could get in.

Friday night was electric but seeing people that could not get in was a real bummer for me. Plus the Hot Springs location doesn't have enough safe parking. It needs to be in the state capital which is more center of the state also.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Oldref on March 16, 2016, 04:38:03 pm
AAA is going to use this as an excuse to go to before noon games and two game sessions so they can empty the place and charge people again to get in. I would be in favor of adding a couple of dollars to the ticket price and go to Verizon and make it where all fans can go and have confidence they can get in stay for a day and watch all the games. I don't understand why the AAA keeps wanting to take the "small ball" approach. It could be the high school event of the year if someone would pull the right switches and get it done. I know a lot more people who would come if they had confidence they could get in.

Friday night was electric but seeing people that could not get in was a real bummer for me. Plus the Hot Springs location doesn't have enough safe parking. It needs to be in the state capital which is more center of the state also.

You mean people having prepurchased tickets and not being able to get in and watch their kids doesn't brighten your day ?

Oldref

Quote from: HF on March 16, 2016, 05:05:18 pm
You mean people having prepurchased tickets and not being able to get in and watch their kids doesn't brighten your day ?

No it doesn't...... cant imagine showing up to watch my grandkids play with a ticket in my hand and not being able to get in. No excuse for it in my opinion. We have places in the state that can assure that doesn't happen.

ballmember

not interested in having anything in the state capitol,  you talk about an unsafe place to be.  statistics back this up.   keep it where it is or move to U of A or ASU.   or alternate.   knowing the superintendents in charge they will break up the sessions so they can charge more and leave it where it is.   still will not solve the problem...........

spoony gluv

March 16, 2016, 09:40:51 pm #47 Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:42:28 pm by spoony gluv
Quote from: Oldref on March 16, 2016, 04:38:03 pm

I'm pretty sure that parking at Barton Coliseum and Verizon are far more unsafe than parking at Bank of the Ozarks Arena. Only advantage to Barton parking is it's mostly contained in the fairgrounds property but the venue is less than desirable.

spoony gluv

Recently read where the Hotel complexes at opposite ends of Bank of the Ozarks Arena are both undergoing multi-million dollar renovations as well. I'm sure this weighs favorably into the decision to continue the tournament in HS.

zebradynasty

Quote from: spoony gluv on March 16, 2016, 09:40:51 pm
I'm pretty sure that parking at Barton Coliseum and Verizon are far more unsafe than parking at Bank of the Ozarks Arena. Only advantage to Barton parking is it's mostly contained in the fairgrounds property but the venue is less than desirable.

Been to countless events at Verizon never felt any less safe there than I do in Hot Springs. Safety is not the issue for not moving it back to Verizon it's all about the $$$. Now Barton...might be a little different.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas