• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grumbling about coaches

Started by brock, November 06, 2011, 01:26:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brock

I constantly read on these boards where people criticize and gripe about coaches.   I for one am not one to gripe, but i'm frankly tired of people constantly blaming the coaches for every loss.  Have any of you ever really looked at what the coaches are working with?  Really take a close look, most of the time you will see that teams who don't win often most of the time don't have much if any talent. (no one or two decent playecrs isn't having talent)  A coach can only do so much with what they have to work with.  Most all coaches i've been around work extremely hard to prepare their teams and give them the best opportunity to succeed.  It's not an easy profession with constant complaints about playing time, lack of resources, lack of support, low pay (at your smaller schools).  I think people forget that coaches are human and like all of us make mistakes, but at the sametime do their job to the best of their ability.  Also, remember they are coaching KIDS, not college or pro athletes, a lot of which are more worried about a lot of other things besides sports.  So before you get on here pointing fingers or gossiping in your town really take a second to look at the situation instead of looking for a scapegoat for why your team did not win.

WorkOrder

RamFan06

Quote from: brock on November 06, 2011, 01:26:55 pm
I constantly read on these boards where people criticize and gripe about coaches.   I for one am not one to gripe, but i'm frankly tired of people constantly blaming the coaches for every loss.  Have any of you ever really looked at what the coaches are working with?  Really take a close look, most of the time you will see that teams who don't win often most of the time don't have much if any talent. (no one or two decent playecrs isn't having talent)  A coach can only do so much with what they have to work with.  Most all coaches i've been around work extremely hard to prepare their teams and give them the best opportunity to succeed.  It's not an easy profession with constant complaints about playing time, lack of resources, lack of support, low pay (at your smaller schools).  I think people forget that coaches are human and like all of us make mistakes, but at the sametime do their job to the best of their ability.  Also, remember they are coaching KIDS, not college or pro athletes, a lot of which are more worried about a lot of other things besides sports.  So before you get on here pointing fingers or gossiping in your town really take a second to look at the situation instead of looking for a scapegoat for why your team did not win.

Great post!

Basketballfan13

Dr. Defense

+1 for sure.....For some reason every person thinks that they can be a coach.....if you are going to criticize a coach try walking a mile in their shoes first.

rheddhoss

pab

Coaching is the easiest job on the planet because it's the job that everyone on the planet knows how to do.  Coaching is the hardest job on the planet because it's the job that everyone on the planet knows how to do.

Lions84

May 04, 2012, 10:55:35 am #7 Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:50:00 am by Lions84
IT comes with the any public job, folks fuss and complain bout the Preacher, the Coach, the Teacher the Judge and the elected officals and don't forget the Police.

SW is Best

October 15, 2012, 01:21:30 pm #8 Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:23:32 pm by SW is Best
Glad to see level headed people still exist.  I find it offensive when people like UNCLE IVAN post things about people they may not even know that challenge their abilities as a coach.  When he says things like " an ape with a meth addiction could coach a team with that talent to 10 wins," he demeans not only the coach he is referring to, but the entire profession.
IVAN was referring the head coach at Camden Fairview.  Over the last 2 seasons his teams have lost 4 games.  Two of them to the 3 time reigning 6a state champs El Dorado and the other two to the 2 time reigning 5a state champs Greenwood. 

Meanwhile, he starts threads to praise other coaches and they post back.

I wonder if 27 Trap would support the statement above that Uncle Ivan made?  I have never met 27 Trap, but my guess is that UNCLE IVAN's comment would disgust him just as much as it does me.

Uncle Ivan

October 15, 2012, 09:23:24 pm #9 Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:20:49 am by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: SW is Best on October 15, 2012, 01:21:30 pm
Glad to see level headed people still exist.  I find it offensive when people like UNCLE IVAN post things about people they may not even know that challenge their abilities as a coach.  When he says things like " an ape with a meth addiction could coach a team with that talent to 10 wins," he demeans not only the coach he is referring to, but the entire profession.
IVAN was referring the head coach at Camden Fairview.  Over the last 2 seasons his teams have lost 4 games.  Two of them to the 3 time reigning 6a state champs El Dorado and the other two to the 2 time reigning 5a state champs Greenwood. 

I wonder if 27 Trap would support the statement above that Uncle Ivan made?  I have never met 27 Trap, but my guess is that UNCLE IVAN's comment would disgust him just as much as it does me.

Bless your heart.

loyal fan

Quote from: SW is Best on October 15, 2012, 01:21:30 pm

Nice post.

Sgt. Slaughter

Very Good Post!!!

Sgt. Slaughter

One thing others seem to forget are that coaches are also Husbands and Fathers and there families listen to the BS that people say everytime things dont go right.   

Maynard G Krebs

My guess is you're not from Nashville

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Sgt. Slaughter on October 16, 2012, 11:57:30 am
One thing others seem to forget are that coaches are also Husbands and Fathers and there families listen to the BS that people say everytime things dont go right.   

Thats very true Sarge......People dont hesitate to think about a Coach's wife or kids sitting in the stands listening to the stuff they say

KOJACK

Folks get this mob mentality. You are seeing it in the big leagues now more than ever. People pay their hard earned money and think they can act however they want. It's hard to have a family outing to a sporting event anymore.

Dr. Defense

Yes it really is......you can't go just enjoy a football game without some genius in the stands who thinks they could do better.....I'd like to see some of those people get on the sideline and try to make those decisions with only 25 seconds between each play haha......probably would shut a few of them up

Sgt. Slaughter

Quote from: Dr. Defense on October 17, 2012, 09:36:59 am
Yes it really is......you can't go just enjoy a football game without some genius in the stands who thinks they could do better.....I'd like to see some of those people get on the sideline and try to make those decisions with only 25 seconds between each play haha......probably would shut a few of them up

I would like for the coaches to go and be at those ppl jobs and scream and yell and call them names etc and see how they liked it.

Rulesman

Gee, read every response and apply it to officials, rather than coaches. See any similarities?  ::)

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Rulesman on October 17, 2012, 11:45:47 am
Gee, read every response and apply it to officials, rather than coaches. See any similarities?  ::)
+1 refs too haha

Rulesman

Quote from: Lions84 on May 04, 2012, 10:55:35 am
IT comes with the any pubic job, folks fuss and complain bout the Preacher, the Coach, the Teacher the Judge and the elected officals and don't forget the Police.
I just spit iced tea all over my desk! Got to quit eating lunch and reading FF at the same time.

B. Kirk

Quote from: Sgt. Slaughter on October 17, 2012, 09:58:15 am

I would like for the coaches to go and be at those ppl jobs and scream and yell and call them names etc and see how they liked it.

Be a better coach and you won't be criticized. It's that simple.

SW is Best

What is your definition of better?

KOJACK

Quote from: B. Kirk on October 17, 2012, 01:21:55 pm

not true

Lions84

Quote from: Rulesman on October 17, 2012, 12:45:12 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on May 04, 2012, 10:55:35 am
IT comes with the any pubic job, folks fuss and complain bout the Preacher, the Coach, the Teacher the Judge and the elected officals and don't forget the Police.
I just spit iced tea all over my desk! Got to quit eating lunch and reading FF at the same time.

Sorry bout the Typo Rulesman.

loyal fan

Its not that simple.  I promise you people complain about the best coaches in the state.  Just ask Lunney, Reed, Dawson, etc.

Sgt. Slaughter

Yeah thats all it takes.  If you think that your an IDIOT!!   

Dr. Defense

Boy that sure is some solid advice right there......this is obviously one of the people we are talkin about on this thread......no idea what hes talkin about

Ark

Quote from: pab on November 14, 2011, 09:19:13 pm
Coaching is the easiest job on the planet because it's the job that everyone on the planet knows how to do.  Coaching is the hardest job on the planet because it's the job that everyone on the planet knows how to do.
Good post.

WorkOrder

It's the Jimmy'sand Joes, not the X's and O's.

IPROFB

sevenof400

I hope that somewhere in this consideration, everyone takes a long look at the coach(es) as well.  For every outstanding coach, one who is truly a builder of character, there are several who give their players far less consideration than they deserve.   

beach bum

I know someone closely coaching... I now sit in the opponents bleachers. Even with 26 regular season wins the last 3 years & 5 postseason wins the last 2 years I got tired of parents constant complaints about the coaches during the games. Now I hear the opponents fans complain about their coaches lol.

sevenof400

Beach Bum,

Lets throw a theoretical situation out for discussion.

A player isn't satisfied they are getting sufficient playing time. At an appropriate time and place, the player asks what they can do to earn more playing time. 

Also at present, the player is not one of the starting 22.  The player also expresses concern about lack of opportunities in practice because most of the practice time has the first team defense training against the first team offense.

What portion of training time the second teams (reserves) receive is against the other reserve team. 

How would you counsel a player in a scenario such as this?

beach bum

November 10, 2013, 03:27:53 pm #34 Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:34:20 pm by beach bum
Quote from: sevenof400 on November 10, 2013, 02:29:54 pm
Beach Bum,

A player isn't satisfied they are getting sufficient playing time. At an appropriate time and place, the player asks what they can do to earn more playing time. 

Also at present, the player is not one of the starting 22.  The player also expresses concern about lack of opportunities in practice because most of the practice time has the first team defense training against the first team offense.

What portion of training time the second teams (reserves) receive is against the other reserve team. 

That is a tough scenario.... I think those are the types of situations that are even harder for a coach to solve those than just parents upset because of W & L results on the field. I think almost all coaches can handle the being yelled at for the L's.... but to try & answer your question it all depends on the kids class whether he is a junior, sophomore, or senior. If the player is a senior that makes it tough because it is the players last go around for playing time & so forth. If the player is a junior or sophomore the player would have his chance in the future & in JV games. And definitely if the kid asked in a good manner that shows he cares & I think he deserves at least some more practice reps to prove his chance. The program I follow has luckily the last 3 years been starting nearly all upperclassmen ( I think one sophomore has started the last 2 seasons both seasons) with the luxury of the underclassmen having plenty of talent as well but sitting and watching for a year to absorb in the success. But also, the conference has been down to leading to quite a bit of early mercy rules allowing for plenty of playing time for the young back ups late in games...... Those are the scenarios I am glad I am not a coach though  ;D

beach bum

November 10, 2013, 03:32:21 pm #35 Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:04:15 pm by beach bum
Quote from: sevenof400 on November 08, 2013, 03:19:50 pm
I hope that somewhere in this consideration, everyone takes a long look at the coach(es) as well.  For every outstanding coach, one who is truly a builder of character, there are several who give their players far less consideration than they deserve.

Oh & I just noticed this post you made. That is so true. There are so many coaches I have already noticed who are in it for their own benefit & you see the players as pawns for their own success instead of building true relationships with their players. To the ones that use players as pawns that's just pathetic because their just kids they are dealing with. You see that way too much in the college & pro game even. It's just pathetic. But, I guess no matter the profession there are going to be people take advantage of others for their benefit. To the coaches who really try to make a difference in their players lives for building character I have a ton of respect for.

Dayton Kitchens

Beach Bum,

Find a need.   Fill a need.  And don't try to convince me that most football teams do not have needs.

At both the upper level college and pro levels,  players tend to break into the starting lineups with special teams work.   The player in question should volunteer (eagerly) to work on special teams. 

I've seen way too many high school players who absolute loathe special teams work because

1) They consider it to be unimportant and demeaning.
2) They see it as not being an opportunity to play much.
3) They see it as having an increased chance of injury.

Yet many marginal players have moved to the starting lineup by doing superb work on special teams.    Even if they don't move to the regular lineup,  playing on special teams keeps you on the field a lot.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 11, 2013, 10:13:19 am
Beach Bum,

Find a need.   Fill a need.  And don't try to convince me that most football teams do not have needs.

At both the upper level college and pro levels,  players tend to break into the starting lineups with special teams work.   The player in question should volunteer (eagerly) to work on special teams. 

I've seen way too many high school players who absolute loathe special teams work because

Yet many marginal players have moved to the starting lineup by doing superb work on special teams.    Even if they don't move to the regular lineup,  playing on special teams keeps you on the field a lot.
Sure worked at Augusta didn't it... :)

athletic supporter

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 11, 2013, 08:58:39 pm
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 11, 2013, 10:13:19 am
Beach Bum,

Sure worked at Augusta didn't it... :)

Especially on the punt team and kick return team...;)

manmaker

If you put in the work and really coach your kids then that was a great statement.  If you don't know what your're doing in the first place and your scared of the work that goes into it then you're in the wrong line of work, and you're doing your kids a disservice.

scrapper native

Coach Mac D

Quote from: Dr. Defense on November 11, 2011, 12:28:52 pm
+1 for sure.....For some reason every person thinks that they can be a coach.....if you are going to criticize a coach try walking a mile in their shoes first.

Does coaching your sons Peewee team count?  ;D

True Fan

Quote from: Coach Mac D on December 09, 2013, 04:01:45 pm

Dang straight. Some of them peewee momma's are worse than the D1 daddies walking the edge of the field. ;D

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Coach Mac D on December 09, 2013, 04:01:45 pm

Haha not quite what I had in mind

the_kosher_pig

I think our coach is something like 22-5 over the past 2 years.  I have no complaints. 

cuz

Most coaches know how to coach the game, it's the other things that go along with it they've forgotten to teach. Way too much showboating going on and not enough helping the played up and patting them on the back. Good coaches set standards that young people learn and carry through life. The ones complaining never were taught. Playing players who are seniors over talented players that is underclassmen or whose parents are big booster club donors goes on way too much in high school ball. The good coaches play the best 11 players for the job and bring the lord into the locker room. They also set by example not by just word alone. Morals start at home but sometimes the only morals taught are by the coaches......... ;)

Lions84

It getting worse all the time. I feel for our staff's wifes at times.   Shoot there were folks gripping about Pappa Frank at Barton during the Streak saying he was too tough and showed his opponets no mercy!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas