Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Sunday, December 17th, 2017.
CLASS 5A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
CLASS 6A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
CLASS 7A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
FearlessFriday
Week 10 Review
Week 9 Review

Author Topic: Fearless Friday Rankings: Week 8  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Wess Moore

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Fearless Friday Rankings: Week 8
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:09:42 pm »
Overall
1.  Pulaski Academy
2.  North Little Rock
3.  Bentonville West
4.  Greenwood
5.  Bryant
6.  Bentonville
7.  Pine Bluff
8.  El Dorado
9.  Conway
10.  West Memphis
11.  Fayetteville
12.  Har-Ber
13.  LR Christian
14.  Joe T. Robinson
15.  Benton
16.  McClellan

7A
1.  North Little Rock
2.  Bentonville West
3.  Bryant
4.  Bentonville
5.  Conway
6.  Fayetteville
7.  Har-Ber
8.  Springdale
9.  Cabot
10.  Rogers

6A
1.  Greenwood
2.  Pine Bluff
3.  El Dorado
4.  West Memphis
5.  Benton
6.  Searcy
7.  Jonesboro
8.  Russellville
9.  Texarkana
10.  Lake Hamilton

5A
1.  Pulaski Academy
2.  LR Christian
3.  McClellan
T4.  Wynne
T4.  Nettleton
6.  Watson Chapel
7.  Valley View
8.  Alma
9.  Greenbrier
10.  Parkview

4A
1.  Joe T. Robinson
2.  Pea Ridge
3.  Warren
4.  Arkadelphia
5.  Prairie Grove
6.  Booneville
7.  Nashville
8.  Ashdown
9.  Shiloh Christian
10.  Dardanelle

3A
1.  Junction City
2.  Mayflower
3.  Glen Rose
4.  Charleston
5.  Clinton
6.  Prescott
7.  Osceloa
8.  McGehee
9.  Barton
10.  Perryville

2A
1.  Mount Ida
2.  Danville
3.  Earle
4.  Camden Harmony Grove
5.  Rison
6.  Conway Christian
7.  McCrory
8.  Hazen
9.  Moutainburg
10.  Mountain Pine 

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
  • Lightning Strikes and the Thunder Rolls!
Re: Fearless Friday Rankings: Week 8
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:50:20 pm »
PA could lose to Magnet Cove and still be ranked #1. Sheeeeezzz....

Online Almatrackster

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:31:34 pm »
What were the feelings on PA this week overall, Wess? I can't imagine they received as many votes as the week before.

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:41:51 pm »
No doubt PA should have dropped out of the top spot this week. NLR or West should have been #1.

A team scrapes by a team barely in the top 10 of their own classification (now as of this week, but not in the top ten in the class till this week and the close loss) and  a team no where in the top 15 overall and gets a pass??? No way....a little bias going on.  Other teams have gotten dropped down in overall  for more convincing victories (see GW after week 3 win over Alma- GW got dropped 2 to 4 despite a 26 pt win). Parkview is improved under Bolding, but no way a 3 pt win cements their #1 position overall in a close win over them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:57:44 pm by Pr8hd »

Online sportsguy80

• 2nd String
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:51:02 pm »
No doubt PA should have dropped out of the top spot this week. NLR or West should have been #1.

A team scrapes by a team barely in the top 10 of their own classification and no where in the top 15 overall and gets a pass??? No way....a little bias going on.  Other teams have gotten dropped down in overall  for more convincing victories (see GW after week 3 win over Alma). Parkview is improved under Bolding, but no way a 3 pt win cements their #1 position overall in a close win over them.
I totally agree. I hope Wes can give us more insight on this.

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:44:18 am »
My guess what will happen is numbers 1 to 4 will remain the same til playoffs.
I think NLR will beat Bryant this week and Bentonville West will beat Bentonville next week.
PA and Greenwood will both most likely (knock on wood) finish unbeaten state champs. One of West or NLR will most likely finish unbeaten state champs as well.
So they will put the final regular season top 5 something like
PA
Bentonville West. I think their win over Bennie week 10 will be enough to put them over NLR
NLR
Greenwood
Conway, Pine Bluff, or West Memphis. Since  both Bryant and Bennie will have lost weeks 9 and 10, someone else will rise and fill the spot

And then once all title games are played, the voters will not betray the 7A. The undefeated 7A champion will return to the top spot while knocking unbeaten 5A champ PA down to 2. Spots 3 and 4 could be interchangeable as an unbeaten 6A champ above the one loss 7A runner up is reasonable. But I donít think theyíll vote that. The FF final overall rank will be like this
1. NLR/Bentonville West 7A champ
2. PA
3. NLR/Bentonville West 7A runner up
4. Greenwood
5. Loser of 6A title game

Offline Overdahill

• Starter
  • Make a Difference
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:54:30 am »
I totally agree. I hope Wes can give us more insight on this.

My guess is that it has to do more with the 20 game winning streak; there are going to b some close ones especially if you turn the ball over 5 times> having said that I am somewhat surprised also that they didn't drop some

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:12:49 am »
My guess is that it has to do more with the 20 game winning streak; there are going to b some close ones especially if you turn the ball over 5 times> having said that I am somewhat surprised also that they didn't drop some

The streak probably does have a say in voters ranks. Because 20 game streak is impressive.

I donít think it should though. We are ranking the teams based on this year. These past 8 games. The games from past seasons shouldnít matter. A team who is 14-0 this year shouldnít be ranked low because they may have finished 0-10 last year. And the flip side a team that finishes 0-10 this year shouldnít be ranked high because they went 14-0 last year and had a 20+ game streak going.

Also. Greenwood had their 50 game streak go and never reached the number 2 spot I donít think. Definitely didnít reach the top.

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:29:55 am »
In some cases, we are ranking teams or at least giving them credit on how they fared in a preseason scrimmage as well regardless if they darn near got beat by a non-ranked team in their classification.

If you get credit, for beating a high profile team, you should lose credit when you almost get beat by a lower profile team that you should have easily-handled.

Streaks or pre-season games should have no influence on positioning I would think.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:32:44 am by Pr8hd »

Online 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 10:29:23 am »
Who are the voters and where do they reside? Bias does occur based on where you live in this state and which teams you get to see the most. If anyone has seen GW, Bennie West, and NLR play they would be impressed. I think PA is a top team but would hesitate to put them above the other three mentioned. I say put all 4 at number 1. It isn't like it will ever be proven one way or another on the field except for the two 7A schools if they happen to play in finals.

Offline eagle1

• Bench Warmer
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 11:28:01 am »
I have been scratching my head for weeks on how PA is ranked #1 overall. I would have them #5/6 at the highest. NLR, Bryant, half of the 7A West, and even Greenwood ahead of them.

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:18:04 pm »
Go see the Electric Poll, much better than this one and no bias at all.

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 04:38:48 pm »
What were the feelings on PA this week overall, Wess? I can't imagine they received as many votes as the week before.
Sorry for the delay.. I was out of pocket last night.

PA actually picked up more points this week.   Har-Ber's loss moved PA up in one voters poll.  Another voter moved PA past Bryant this week.  Those are just two examples off the top of my head.

Did any of yall see PA/Parkview in person?  I'm wondering what your thoughts on the second half were.  I shot all the first half.  I was very impressed with Parkview.  They worked the clock every single offensive play.  I believe PA had only 4 possessions the first half.  (16-14 at the half)

Parkview is really coming on.  That game Thursday against Sylvan Hills is for a playoff spot.  The #1 seed in the East better be ready for whoever is the #4 out of the Central.

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 04:43:39 pm »
I doubt the winning streak means anything to the other voters.  It doesn't with me. 

More than anything this shows the high expectations people have for PA.  "If you don't blow out a team, something is wrong."  Parkview played very well. They have some very good players and are getting better and better each week.  I wouldn't be surprised if they win Thursday and go to the playoffs.

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 04:47:37 pm »
In some cases, we are ranking teams or at least giving them credit on how they fared in a preseason scrimmage as well regardless if they darn near got beat by a non-ranked team in their classification.

If you get credit, for beating a high profile team, you should lose credit when you almost get beat by a lower profile team that you should have easily-handled.

Streaks or pre-season games should have no influence on positioning I would think.
Do you get credit for just barely winning the state championship game?  Are you still state champs? 

Almost losing isn't losing.  If that's the case we should deduct points from NLR because they only beat Parkview  29-20 or how about West only beating VB by 15? 

A win is a win.

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 04:49:05 pm »
Who are the voters and where do they reside? Bias does occur based on where you live in this state and which teams you get to see the most. If anyone has seen GW, Bennie West, and NLR play they would be impressed. I think PA is a top team but would hesitate to put them above the other three mentioned. I say put all 4 at number 1. It isn't like it will ever be proven one way or another on the field except for the two 7A schools if they happen to play in finals.
The voters are spread all over the state.  The funny thing about is... I think some of the central Arkansas voters are more biased to the West.  It's almost backwards of what you think.

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 04:52:57 pm »
I have been scratching my head for weeks on how PA is ranked #1 overall. I would have them #5/6 at the highest. NLR, Bryant, half of the 7A West, and even Greenwood ahead of them.
You can make an argument for NLR/Greenwood/Bryant/Bentonville's.
In my opinion, all five are very close.
There's not a lot of separation in those five with the number points they are receiving, although at least two voters I can remember moved PA up a spot this week.

Offline Overdahill

• Starter
  • Make a Difference
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 04:56:55 pm »
Thanks for the thoughtful and articulate responses; helps to restore my faith in message boards!

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 06:01:00 pm »
Thanks for the thoughtful and articulate responses; helps to restore my faith in message boards!
You bet!  I love discussing hs fball with everyone. 

The rankings are just the opinions of who we believe are some very knowledgeable football fans.  They aren't perfect.  (but they aren't bad either)

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:10 pm »
There's not a lot of separation in those five with the number points they are receiving, althoughat least two voters I can remember moved PA up a spot this week.

This is the most laughable part.... ;D

Do you get credit for just barely winning the state championship game?  Are you still state champs? 

Almost losing isn't losing.  If that's the case we should deduct points from NLR because they only beat Parkview  29-20 or how about West only beating VB by 15? 

A win is a win.

I appreciate your replies and candidness, but I ain't buying most of it.

How do you justify GW moving down from 2 to 4 in week 3 despite a 26 pt win over a rival on the road if a win is a win and style points don't matter? It was considered a struggle win by GW, yet wasn't deemed as pretty as it should have been.  PA/Parkview by no means was a rivalry game nor even close to a state championship game which is not even a good analogy for what it was. PA struggled against a team they should have handled better and you say they picked up points??? Indeed a win is a win, but if Alabama struggled to beat a struggling Arkansas team by 3 a couple of weeks ago @ home and Clemson had won that week, you have to admit many would have said Clemson deserved the top spot based on the week to week performances.

IMO and based on this logic  NLR should have been #1 , they are undefeated as well and as mentioned a greater margin of victory against the Patriots (not the Tom Brady version we are making them out to be and I guess the new measuring stick of Arkansas football). They also play big boy football in the state's largest division. Plus, they have the opportunity to beat Bryant in a real game, not a scrimmage where we have heard many allude to at the prowess in which the current #1<cough> handled the Hornets.

In the end, it's all opinion and far from perfect, but definitely seems a bias to me which is my opinion and I don't think I am alone. BTW, you will find over on another thread a week ago I thought PA should be #1, so it's not a bias against PA. I just think polls are a week to week assessment. PA doesn't pass the #1 overall test this past week. Your pollsters must be done by some guys who don't watch or follow the games and have someone else fill out the ballot for them like the coaches poll does in college.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:36:48 pm by Pr8hd »

Online PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
  • Credit to the man in the arena
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 09:08:52 pm »

How do you justify GW moving down from 2 to 4 in week 3 despite a 26 pt win over a rival on the road if a win is a win and style points don't matter? It was considered a struggle win by GW, yet wasn't deemed as pretty as it should have been.  PA/Parkview by no means was a rivalry game nor even close to a state championship game which is not even a good analogy for what it was. PA struggled against a team they should have handled better and you say they picked up points??? Indeed a win is a win, but if Alabama struggled to beat a struggling Arkansas team by 3 a couple of weeks ago @ home and Clemson had won that week, you have to admit many would have said Clemson deserved the top spot based on the week to week performances.

IMO and based on this logic  NLR should have been #1 , they are undefeated as well and as mentioned a greater margin of victory against the Patriots (not the Tom Brady version we are making them out to be and I guess the new measuring stick of Arkansas football). They also play big boy football in the state's largest division. Plus, they have the opportunity to beat Bryant in a real game, not a scrimmage where we have heard many allude to at the prowess in which the current #1<cough> handled the Hornets.

In the end, it's all opinion and far from perfect, but definitely seems a bias to me which is my opinion and I don't think I am alone. BTW, you will find over on another thread a week ago I thought PA should be #1, so it's not a bias against PA. I just think polls are a week to week assessment. PA doesn't pass the #1 overall test this past week. Your pollsters must be done by some guys who don't watch or follow the games and have someone else fill out the ballot for them like the coaches poll does in college.

Opinions are always subjective.  Disagree all you want, but you just canít prove them wrong or right, although time and future games might do so.

I happen to agree with you but not because PA had a scare.  To take your example, Iíd bet $100 that Alabama would still be No. 1 with a 3 point win over the Hogs.  Why?  History.  Alabama has proven that it is the best team in America and a close win would not change the polls.  Most pollsters would still think that Alabama is the best team.

I disagree with the poll because Iíve never thought PA should be ranked first.  On the other hand, I think Bryant is ranked too high.  My top five is NLR. BW, GW, PA and Bryant.  And, because Iím the ranking guru, I must be right!

Donít worry about the rankings.  They are great for discussion but mean nothing now.

Overall rankings are much more fun to discuss after all games are played.  If NLR, BW, or Bryant runs the table Iíll vote them No. 1.  If not, it will be fun to debate the overall No. 1.

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 09:24:00 pm »
Opinions are always subjective.  Disagree all you want, but you just canít prove them wrong or right, although time and future games might do so.

I happen to agree with you but not because PA had a scare.  To take your example, Iíd bet $100 that Alabama would still be No. 1 with a 3 point win over the Hogs.  Why?  History.  Alabama has proven that it is the best team in America and a close win would not change the polls.  Most pollsters would still think that Alabama is the best team.

I disagree with the poll because Iíve never thought PA should be ranked first.  On the other hand, I think Bryant is ranked too high.  My top five is NLR. BW, GW, PA and Bryant.  And, because Iím the ranking guru, I must be right!

Donít worry about the rankings.  They are great for discussion but mean nothing now.

Overall rankings are much more fun to discuss after all games are played.  If NLR, BW, or Bryant runs the table Iíll vote them No. 1.  If not, it will be fun to debate the overall No. 1.
+1

I would agree on the Bryant comment and think that will be shown this week against NLR. I could be wrong though. I just think NLR and Bryant is a little hyped up even with their QB before the injury, but especially now. I still think PA is one of the top teams in the state and you are right this is totally subjective, but ideally people that make a poll should strive to be as objective as possible.  I am not worried about rankings, in the end titles mean everything. I just disagree with this assessment esp. the fact they picked up votes.

I need to add what Bolding and staff have done at Parkview is impressive w/o a doubt. I have taken them in almost all the pickems they have been in this year.

I disagreed once before with a mod/aka poll or system guru a few years back and it got me 1000 slaps after football season was over, but I ain't hanging around to win a Mr. Congeniality award.

That goes to Bulldogger15.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:35:47 pm by Pr8hd »

Online PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 09:26:17 pm »
I would agree on the Bryant comment and think that will be shown this week against NLR. I could be wrong though. I just think NLR and Bryant is a little hyped up even with their QB before the injury, but especially now. I still think PA is one of the top teams in the state and you are right this is totally subjective, but ideally people that make a poll should strive to be as objective as possible.  I am not worried about rankings, in the end titles mean everything. I just disagree with this assessment. I disagreed once before with a mod/aka poll or system guru a few years back and it got me 1000 slaps after football season was over, but I ain't hanging around to win a Mr. Congeniality award. That goes to Bulldogger15.   ;)

I hereby award you the Mr. Congenitality trophy!

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 09:32:25 pm »

I don't have to justify moving Greenwood down after a win on the road over a rival.  I never moved Greenwood down.  In fact they've moved up in my rankings since Har-Ber lost. 

But my guess is..  the other voters were more impressed with PA's win over Bossier City.  They must have also been impressed with Bryant following up their road win over Fayetteville with a blowout over Lake Hamilton.  (I was surprised some of the voters didn't move Bryant up a week earlier)  It's not what Greenwood did or didn't do.  It's what the other teams did.  There's a lot of movement in the early part of the season because all the voters are seeing these teams for the first or second time.

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 09:32:57 pm »
I hereby award you the Mr. Congenitality trophy!

Can you let my wife know I won a prestigious, major award???

F-R-A-G-I-L-E....it must be Italian....

Offline B.G.

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 09:58:48 pm »
I'm going to work with Wess in the offseason on his posting style.  People will grow tired of his professional, honest and straightforward answers.

Online PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 10:02:15 pm »
I'm going to work with Wess in the offseason on his posting style.  People will grow tired of his professional, honest and straightforward answers.

I agree.  He doesnít fit in.  He needs to be more strident and combative.

Just kidding.  He does a great job of explaining the rationale for the rankings.  Even though I disagree with them I understand where the pollsters are coming from.

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 10:05:38 pm »
I don't have to justify moving Greenwood down after a win on the road over a rival.  I never moved Greenwood down.  In fact they've moved up in my rankings since Har-Ber lost. 

But my guess is..  the other voters were more impressed with PA's win over Bossier City.  They must have also been impressed with Bryant following up their road win over Fayetteville with a blowout over Lake Hamilton.  (I was surprised some of the voters didn't move Bryant up a week earlier)  It's not what Greenwood did or didn't do.  It's what the other teams did.  There's a lot of movement in the early part of the season because all the voters are seeing these teams for the first or second time.

The Bossier win was not that Impressive, the 2 D-1 recruits were out.

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 11:17:27 pm »

No issue with Wes by any means. Not anything personal at all. He's far better than the self-proclaimed "Wizard of Oz" who threw insults out left and right if anyone dare question the all powerful one and his rankings. I appreciate his coverage of the sport and their efforts to bring the title games to local tv even if not in central Ark. I know this poll and the votes are not necessarily his own. I am not offended by the poll or ready to start a movement or anything drastic..yet!!

It doesn't mean I agree any more or less, just working on my junior rank of "disputatious one".   8)

Offline Overdahill

• Starter
  • Make a Difference
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 05:39:43 am »
+1

I would agree on the Bryant comment and think that will be shown this week against NLR. I could be wrong though. I just think NLR and Bryant is a little hyped up even with their QB before the injury, but especially now. I still think PA is one of the top teams in the state and you are right this is totally subjective, but ideally people that make a poll should strive to be as objective as possible.  I am not worried about rankings, in the end titles mean everything. I just disagree with this assessment esp. the fact they picked up votes.

I need to add what Bolding and staff have done at Parkview is impressive w/o a doubt. I have taken them in almost all the pickems they have been in this year.

I disagreed once before with a mod/aka poll or system guru a few years back and it got me 1000 slaps after football season was over, but I ain't hanging around to win a Mr. Congeniality award.

That goes to Bulldogger15.   ;)

Nope, BULLDOGGER was awarded the "Gum on your Shoe" Award

Offline RyanLR

• 2nd String
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 07:00:04 am »
I wish Little Rock Christian and Robinson would play each other. We could name it the "Battle of Highway 10" or something like that.

Online sportsguy80

• 2nd String
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 08:02:07 am »
Is it safe to say the Bryant/NLR winner should move to #1???

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 08:25:43 am »

They will probably vote them in at 2.
I predicted in a post towards the top that PA will remain 1 until after the title games. Then the unbeaten 7A champ (West or NLR) will be put at number 1.

Unless Fay Bennie or Harber gets on a roll and we have a multi loss 7A champion. Then itís anyones guess

Offline DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

• Starter
  • Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 08:51:40 am »
I would bet my last dollar that a large number of "pollsters" have ties to PA.  No way anyone that is un-biased would continue to put PA ahead of Bentoville West or even NLR for that matter.    I know Wess doesn't do these polls himself, and no-one here gets upset with him, he just has to answer for them.   Tough job he has defending what everyone knows to be a tilted jury. 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:55:23 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam »

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 08:55:06 am »
I would bet my last dollar that a large number of "pollsters" have ties to PA.  No way anyone that is un-biased would continue to put PA ahead of Bentoville West or even NLR for that matter.    I know Wes doesn't do these polls himself, he just has to answer for them.   Tough job he has defending what everyone knows to be a tilted jury.

Well we will see in the next 2 weeks.
Bryant and NLR this week and Bentonville and Bentonville West next week.
We could very well be looking at 2 undefeated 7A teams by then.
Surely to goodness at least one would be put above PA.
But as someone likes to say, only time will tell!

Wait he hasnít trademarked that has he?? I wonít get fined for using that line will I  :o

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 08:59:42 am »
Well we will see in the next 2 weeks.
Bryant and NLR this week and Bentonville and Bentonville West next week.
We could very well be looking at 2 undefeated 7A teams by then.
Surely to goodness at least one would be put above PA.
But as someone likes to say, only time will tell!

Wait he hasnít trademarked that has he?? I wonít get fined for using that line will I  :o

I agree with you, the next couple of weeks will shake things out. 

MaxPreps has GW ahead of PA, then it's NLR, Bentonville West, Conway and Bryant.   Not sure I agree with their poll either.   I think GW, PA, NLR, and West are probably all about the same.  They could be interchangeable IMO.  I think most people just don't believe PA would do what they have done in 5A if moved up to 6A or 7A.   It's like taking a team from the sunbelt conference that is undefeated and trying to compare them to an SEC West team that is undefeated.  It's just not logical.  But PA is the darling of central Arkansas, so nothing's gonna change anytime soon. 

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 09:21:15 am »
I agree. Iím sure in a one game scenario any of them teams could beat each other. But on a consistent basis is another topic.

I just wonder why this year is different.
Any other year this same thing happens. We debate that the best from each class can hang with the best from the class above. 5A and 6A to 7A. 4A to 5A and so on. But the end result is always ďin a one game scenario maybe but regular basis noĒ so the bigger school is considered better. Thatís why rarely if ever any 4A or lower teams are ranked in a top 10. Not because they arenít good but because on a regular basis the 3A champ just canít hang with the 5A champ. Itís also why 99 times of 100, the 7A team best is the overall best.
Anytime the end of the season rolls around and the 7A best is number one overall, we always throw our opinions of how this team can beat them or that team can be them and all that. But the voters answer every Time was ďwe understand in a one game scenario any team yada yada yada but in a one game scenario yada yada yada and the 7A is the biggest class so yada yadaĒ.
Now Iím not saying that is wrong of them to say that because itís all true.
Iím asking why suddenly this year that donít apply? We have had plenty of great great 6A and 5A teams over the years finish as champs or multi defending champs or undefeated seasons and none have finished 1. What makes this 2017 great PA team different?
Only thing I can really think of is they are on the verge of a 4peat thay hasnít been done in forever and is something that some great great teams as of late still hasnít been able to do. Greenwood had 2 chances as wasnít able to.

Offline Overdahill

• Starter
  • Make a Difference
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:35 am »
I agree with you, the next couple of weeks will shake things out. 

MaxPreps has GW ahead of PA, then it's NLR, Bentonville West, Conway and Bryant.   Not sure I agree with their poll either.   I think GW, PA, NLR, and West are probably all about the same.  They could be interchangeable IMO.  I think most people just don't believe PA would do what they have done in 5A if moved up to 6A or 7A.   It's like taking a team from the sunbelt conference that is undefeated and trying to compare them to an SEC West team that is undefeated.  It's just not logical.  But PA is the darling of central Arkansas, so nothing's gonna change anytime soon.

FYI, the same thing was said when PA moved up from 4A  ;)

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 09:57:58 am »
FYI, the same thing was said when PA moved up from 4A  ;)

Because PA, no matter their classification, is the Darling of Central Arkansas.  The polls tend to show that.   

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 10:06:40 am »
I would bet my last dollar that a large number of "pollsters" have ties to PA.  No way anyone that is un-biased would continue to put PA ahead of Bentoville West or even NLR for that matter.    I know Wess doesn't do these polls himself, and no-one here gets upset with him, he just has to answer for them.   Tough job he has defending what everyone knows to be a tilted jury.
The other "pollsters" did not go to PA or have any ties to PA.  I know you'd like to create some type of bias to justify the ranking in your mind but it boils down to the majority of the voters think PA is #1.  The others have PA so high on their ballot that it doesn't drop them to #2 or #3 or #4 or #5. 

We are talking about, (off the top of my head - I don't have the spread sheet with me) about nine total points separating 1-5.  It's very close.  If we're in to consolation trophies around here I can make the teams 1A, 1B, 1C and 1D next week. :)

Offline Overdahill

• Starter
  • Make a Difference
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 10:07:39 am »
Because PA, no matter their classification, is the Darling of Central Arkansas.  The polls tend to show that.

ha, if true maybe that will change when someone else from Central Arkansas wins a title again. It does seem that Central Arkansas teams are on the uptick recently but will have to see what the playoffs bring....only time will tell .........

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 10:07:51 am »
That's hard to predict.  The other voters surprise me each week.

Online 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 10:08:48 am »
I think anyone using Bryant as a measuring stick will face reality the next two weeks. When have they ever won a big game? It won't start this week.

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 10:16:47 am »
The other "pollsters" did not go to PA or have any ties to PA.  I know you'd like to create some type of bias to justify the ranking in your mind but it boils down to the majority of the voters think PA is #1.  The others have PA so high on their ballot that it doesn't drop them to #2 or #3 or #4 or #5. 

We are talking about, (off the top of my head - I don't have the spread sheet with me) about nine total points separating 1-5.  It's very close.  If we're in to consolation trophies around here I can make the teams 1A, 1B, 1C and 1D next week. :)

How about 4 teams as #1, then pick up with 5th place and so on.  :)     

Serious question:  How many "pollsters" are there?  What's their demographic (Age, location, etc)?  How did they become a "pollster"? 

For instance, When the AP Poll comes out, or the Heisman vote comes out, everyone knows who votes in those polls.   With this poll, it's kinda like the Nielsen Ratings, does anyone know?.  In all my years I've never been asked what I watch on Tuesday nights from 7-10pm. 

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 12:23:05 pm »
I wish Little Rock Christian and Robinson would play each other. We could name it the "Battle of Highway 10" or something like that.
The "Battle of highway 10" has already been used as a name of a rivalry. It was between Greenwood and Booneville back in the day until we dropped Booneville due them being our tails every year. True story! ;)

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »
How about 4 teams as #1, then pick up with 5th place and so on.  :)     

Serious question:  How many "pollsters" are there?  What's their demographic (Age, location, etc)?  How did they become a "pollster"? 

For instance, When the AP Poll comes out, or the Heisman vote comes out, everyone knows who votes in those polls.   With this poll, it's kinda like the Nielsen Ratings, does anyone know?.  In all my years I've never been asked what I watch on Tuesday nights from 7-10pm.
I've told everyone that I'd keep their name anonymous.  So I hesitate to give out any information.  Not everyone wants to come on here and talk about their ballots like I do, so I'll keep it a secret.  They're all males in 26-65 demographic from all over the state.  Although I wouldn't mind adding another from NEA and one from SAR.   I'm not sure how they were selected.. I'm guessing because they are prominent members of the high school football community.

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 04:58:24 pm »
The "Battle of highway 10" has already been used as a name of a rivalry. It was between Greenwood and Booneville back in the day until we dropped Booneville due them being our tails every year. True story! ;)

The battle name was right, but....

Actually, Booneville dropped GW. Peacock changed that narrative of losing to Booneville, when the Bulldogs started thumping the Bearcats. They could see the writing on the wall at that point, that the spread attack of Peacock made the playing field uneven....that and I think they ran out Napier and Macdonald boys.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:00:04 pm by Pr8hd »

Offline RyanLR

• 2nd String
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 08:52:02 pm »
Wow I didn't know that.

Online AA Insider

• Bench Warmer
  • Arkansas' number 1 board for High School Sports.
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 09:32:06 pm »
Anybody have a link to this weeks fearless Friday underground?

Online sportsguy80

• 2nd String
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 09:49:23 pm »
I agree. Iím sure in a one game scenario any of them teams could beat each other. But on a consistent basis is another topic.

I just wonder why this year is different.
Any other year this same thing happens. We debate that the best from each class can hang with the best from the class above. 5A and 6A to 7A. 4A to 5A and so on. But the end result is always ďin a one game scenario maybe but regular basis noĒ so the bigger school is considered better. Thatís why rarely if ever any 4A or lower teams are ranked in a top 10. Not because they arenít good but because on a regular basis the 3A champ just canít hang with the 5A champ. Itís also why 99 times of 100, the 7A team best is the overall best.
Anytime the end of the season rolls around and the 7A best is number one overall, we always throw our opinions of how this team can beat them or that team can be them and all that. But the voters answer every Time was ďwe understand in a one game scenario any team yada yada yada but in a one game scenario yada yada yada and the 7A is the biggest class so yada yadaĒ.
Now Iím not saying that is wrong of them to say that because itís all true.
Iím asking why suddenly this year that donít apply? We have had plenty of great great 6A and 5A teams over the years finish as champs or multi defending champs or undefeated seasons and none have finished 1. What makes this 2017 great PA team different?
Only thing I can really think of is they are on the verge of a 4peat thay hasnít been done in forever and is something that some great great teams as of late still hasnít been able to do. Greenwood had 2 chances as wasnít able to.
That will be a great accomplishment if they can pull off the 4peat but I still wonder about them being best overall. I will even go out on a limb and say that PA had other teams in the past that were well worthy of the top spot. Knighten and Henry senior year led team had one of the best offenses Iíve seen. If Iím correct that team broke some records. On the other hand, the larger classification teams were pretty good that year too.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas