Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Monday, December 18th, 2017.
CLASS 5A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
CLASS 6A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
CLASS 7A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
FearlessFriday
Week 10 Review
Week 9 Review

Author Topic: Fearless Friday Rankings: Week 5  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Wess Moore

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Fearless Friday Rankings: Week 5
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:40:07 pm »
Overall

1.  Har-Ber
2.  Pulaski Academy
3.  Bryant
4.  Greenwood
5.  North Little Rock
6.  Bentonville West
7.  Cabot
8.  El Dorado
9.  Bentonville
10.  Springdale
11.  Conway
12.  Pine Bluff
13.  Benton
14.  West Memphis
15.  Jonesboro
16.  Fayetteville

7A

1.  Har-Ber
2.  Bryant
3.  North Little Rock
4.  Bentonville West
5.  Cabot
6.  Bentonville
7.  Springdale
8.  Conway
9.  Fayetteville
10.  Rogers

6A

1.  Greenwood
2.  El Dorado
3.  Pine Bluff
4.  Benton
5.  West Memphis
6.  Jonesboro
7.  Searcy
8.  Texarkana
9.  Russellville
T10.  Lake Hamilton
T10.  Marion

5A

1.  Pulaski Academy
2.  LR Christian
3.  Wynne
4.  McClellan
5.  Harrison
6.  Nettleton
7.  Alma
8.  Watson Chapel
9.  Valley View
10.  Parkview

4A

1.  Joe T. Robinson
2.  Pea Ridge
3.  Prairie Grove
4.  Ashdown
5.  Warren
6.  Arkadelphia
7.  Shiloh Christian
8.  Helena West Helena
9.  Nashville
10.  Dardanelle

3A

1.  Prescott
2.  Junction City
3.  Mayflower
4.  Clinton
5.  Charleston
T6.  Glen Rose
T6.  Rivercrest
8.  Melbourne
9.  Osceola
10.  Smackover

2A

1.  Mount Ida
2.  Rison
3.  Danville
4.  Hector
5.  Earle
6.  Conway Christian
7.  McCrory
8.  Bearden
9.  Camden Harmony Grove
10.  Foreman

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
Re: Fearless Friday Rankings: Week 5
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:51:40 pm »
Couple of thoughts...

1-5 have separated themselves from the pack in the overall rankings.
6-9 are very close and then another close pack 10-16.  Wynne and LRC are close to being ranked.

7A - 1,2,and 3 are almost unanimous.
4-8 are very tight. There's a lot of different opinions on who the tenth best team is.

6A - Greenwood is unanimous.  2-5 are very very close.  Almost flip a coin.  Only 11 teams receive votes in 6A

5A - 1,2,3 are almost unanimous.  4-8 have a lot of different opinions.  15 teams are getting votes.

4A - 1-4 are very close.  Then a gap and 5-8 are very close.  Batesville SS, Truman, and Booneville are just outside the top 10.

3A -  This is very close.  1-5 are separated by a few points.  6-10 are very close too.. not much difference in voting.

2A - 1,2,3 are almost unanimous.  4-8 are very close.   16 different teams received votes this week.

Offline DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

• Starter
  • Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 12:37:46 pm »
Overall

1.  Har-Ber
2.  Pulaski Academy
3.  Bryant
4.  Greenwood
5.  North Little Rock
6.  Bentonville West
7.  Cabot
8.  El Dorado
9.  Bentonville
10.  Springdale
11.  Conway
12.  Pine Bluff
13.  Benton
14.  West Memphis
15.  Jonesboro
16.  Fayetteville

7A

1.  Har-Ber
2.  Bryant
3.  North Little Rock
4.  Bentonville West
5.  Cabot
6.  Bentonville
7.  Springdale
8.  Conway
9.  Fayetteville
10.  Rogers

6A

1.  Greenwood
2.  El Dorado
3.  Pine Bluff
4.  Benton
5.  West Memphis
6.  Jonesboro
7.  Searcy
8.  Texarkana
9.  Russellville
T10.  Lake Hamilton
T10.  Marion

5A

1.  Pulaski Academy
2.  LR Christian
3.  Wynne
4.  McClellan
5.  Harrison
6.  Nettleton
7.  Alma
8.  Watson Chapel
9.  Valley View
10.  Parkview

4A

1.  Joe T. Robinson
2.  Pea Ridge
3.  Prairie Grove
4.  Ashdown
5.  Warren
6.  Arkadelphia
7.  Shiloh Christian
8.  Helena West Helena
9.  Nashville
10.  Dardanelle

3A

1.  Prescott
2.  Junction City
3.  Mayflower
4.  Clinton
5.  Charleston
T6.  Glen Rose
T6.  Rivercrest
8.  Melbourne
9.  Osceola
10.  Smackover

2A

1.  Mount Ida
2.  Rison
3.  Danville
4.  Hector
5.  Earle
6.  Conway Christian
7.  McCrory
8.  Bearden
9.  Camden Harmony Grove
10.  Foreman

How many of these teams have you actually watched in person?  Just curious.

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:08:40 pm »
I've seen 13 of the ranked teams thru the first five weeks.

I also saw a bunch of them this summer in 70n7 although that's an entirely different setting.

I think what helps me the most is speaking with the coaches on a daily basis on my radio show.  It really gives me insight on their team and the teams they've played and are about to play.  It also helps to have a lot of friends that report/cover/work/attend other games.  More than anything.. just caring and respecting the rankings helps the most.

Offline Redwolves8526

• 2nd String
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:45:04 am »
Any way we can get your radio shows in East / Northeast Arkansas?

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:00:55 pm »
Any way we can get your radio shows in East / Northeast Arkansas?
foxsportsarkansas.com online or search fox sports arkansas on tune in radio app.

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:49:31 am »

I also saw a bunch of them this summer in 70n7 although that's an entirely different setting.

I think what helps me the most is speaking with the coaches on a daily basis on my radio show.  It really gives me insight on their team and the teams they've played and are about to play.  It also helps to have a lot of friends that report/cover/work/attend other games.  More than anything.. just caring and respecting the rankings helps the most.

BTW, my post was not to call you out or question you.  I watch your show and honestly was curious abut how many games you actually get to attend in person.   We'd love to see your show come to the west side of the state sometime!

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
  • Lightning Strikes and the Thunder Rolls!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 11:27:21 am »

How did you see 13 ranked teams in the first 5 weeks? If every game you went to had two ranked teams playing each other in 5 weeks that would only be 10 teams. Did they play double headers?

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 11:51:59 am »
How did you see 13 ranked teams in the first 5 weeks? If every game you went to had two ranked teams playing each other in 5 weeks that would only be 10 teams. Did they play double headers?
Don't forget week one of the season we had games monday, tuesday, thursday, and saturday.

Offline Wess Moore

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 11:59:11 am »
BTW, my post was not to call you out or question you.  I watch your show and honestly was curious abut how many games you actually get to attend in person.   We'd love to see your show come to the west side of the state sometime!
No worries.  I didn't take it that way.  I was just letting every know that all of the voters, not just me, take it seriously.

And I'm always open to different places we can send out live crews.  You have an idea?

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 03:00:26 pm »
No worries.  I didn't take it that way.  I was just letting every know that all of the voters, not just me, take it seriously.

And I'm always open to different places we can send out live crews.  You have an idea?

Come to Greenwood the day after thanksgiving for the first playoff game!  We'd love to have you in town!

Offline FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • All Star
  • Lumberjack Football--Dominance Returns 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:30:03 am »
Couple of thoughts...

1-5 have separated themselves from the pack in the overall rankings.
6-9 are very close and then another close pack 10-16.  Wynne and LRC are close to being ranked.

7A - 1,2,and 3 are almost unanimous.
4-8 are very tight. There's a lot of different opinions on who the tenth best team is.

6A - Greenwood is unanimous.  2-5 are very very close.  Almost flip a coin.  Only 11 teams receive votes in 6A

5A - 1,2,3 are almost unanimous.  4-8 have a lot of different opinions.  15 teams are getting votes.

4A - 1-4 are very close.  Then a gap and 5-8 are very close.  Batesville SS, Truman, and Booneville are just outside the top 10.

3A -  This is very close.  1-5 are separated by a few points.  6-10 are very close too.. not much difference in voting.

2A - 1,2,3 are almost unanimous.  4-8 are very close.   16 different teams received votes this week.

After confirmation on Ashdown's QB situation (injury to starter), I think we can safely assume Warren should jump the Panthers in the standings (assuming the Jacks beat Dumas tonight).  My question would be, why the gap that you described between Warren and the top teams on the list.  While there is some development left for the Jacks to make, even at this point in the season I can't see Robinson, Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge as decided favorites over Warren.  In fact, the only team of those three that I'd say right now would have an edge on Warren would be Robinson--just based on their overall talent level. 

I know last year is last year, and each team is different this season, but I do find it humorous that Warren swept through all three of those teams in consecutive weeks during the play-offs last year.  Just an observation.  This Warren team is certainly different than last year's, specifically at the QB position, but dare I say, I think this year's defensive unit is even better than what we had last year.  By the play-offs, I don't know if there will be a team better than Warren in class 4A, but that's all my opinion.

I do think we can both agree that Ashdown took a big hit losing their QB and will be lucky to win a game between Week 7 and Week 9--that is just such a brutal stretch for anyone to play.  Much less a team without their starting QB.

-Kyle
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:31:47 am by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 »

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 03:10:46 pm »
Don't forget week one of the season we had games monday, tuesday, thursday, and saturday.
Gotcha, forgot about Hootens week, carry on!

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 09:42:27 pm »
Sooo.
If Harber loses to Bennie does this mean the voters are gonna put PA number one in the state?
1.PA
2. Harber
3. Bryant
4. Greenwood

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 01:50:25 pm »
Sooo.
If Harber loses to Bennie does this mean the voters are gonna put PA number one in the state?
1.PA
2. Harber
3. Bryant
4. Greenwood

PA struggled most of their game thru 3 qtrs and till the end to put away LRCA looked like to me. No one played defense in that one.

Offline B.G.

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 02:07:24 pm »
Not saying it's right, but you could make an argument for HB still being #1.

Offline Overdahill

• Starter
  • Make a Difference
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 03:58:51 pm »
PA struggled most of their game thru 3 qtrs and till the end to put away LRCA looked like to me. No one played defense in that one.

If you call never trailing and more than doubling up the opponent on total yards struggling, then yes they did

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 06:51:16 pm »
Not saying it's right, but you could make an argument for HB still being #1.

Oh they will be. Cause they're 7A. Which year was it that Fayetteville had 2 or 3 losses but won state and Greenwood finished 14-0 state champs. And they still put Fayetteville number 1?
Same this year. I'm positive Harber deserves the top spot. But I'm also positive PA doesn't deserve number 2. If their game against LRC showed anything it's where is the defense? They blow out teams and keep teams from scoring a lot of points. But when they play another very good team they have to score 70 or 80 in order to beat them because apparently their defense can't stop a good team.
But PA has plenty of fans across the state. As they should I know. Great team. Great coach. Great class. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see some of them vote PA as number one.
As of last night my list would be
Harber
Bentonville West
Bryant
Greenwood
PA
NLR

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
  • Credit to the man in the arena
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 07:00:52 pm »
Oh they will be. Cause they're 7A. Which year was it that Fayetteville had 2 or 3 losses but won state and Greenwood finished 14-0 state champs. And they still put Fayetteville number 1?
Same this year. I'm positive Harber deserves the top spot. But I'm also positive PA doesn't deserve number 2. If their game against LRC showed anything it's where is the defense? They blow out teams and keep teams from scoring a lot of points. But when they play another very good team they have to score 70 or 80 in order to beat them because apparently their defense can't stop a good team.
But PA has plenty of fans across the state. As they should I know. Great team. Great coach. Great class. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see some of them vote PA as number one.
As of last night my list would be
Harber
Bentonville West
Bryant
Greenwood
PA
NLR

All of us have our biases.  Posters from the NW favor NW teams.  Central posters favor Central teams.  Fans of 7A schools favor 7A teams.  Thatís just normal and expected.

Your list might be right.  But, I saw PA scrimmage Bryant and PA is just the better team.  And Iíll put my money on NLR to beat Bryant.  And I think they have a good chance of winning it all this year.

Some of these arguments will be settled next year when PA plays Harber.

Everyone has an opinion but mine is right!

Online Longfellow

• Assistant Coach
  • Call me Fellow, Longfellow
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 07:55:39 pm »
Did you just argue that PA isn't good because they score 70 points on good teams?

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:47 pm »
Did you just argue that PA isn't good because they score 70 points on good teams?

If I did I didnít mean to!

Online Longfellow

• Assistant Coach
  • Call me Fellow, Longfellow
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 08:12:32 pm »
If I did I didnít mean to!
I was talking about the future. It just seems like that's what his argument against PA was

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 08:15:01 pm »
I was talking about the future. It just seems like that's what his argument against PA was

Sorry.  I misunderstood your post.

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 08:28:30 pm »
I guess in a way I did lol.

If you play against a team like Harber or PA or Greenwood who will score on virtually every possession, then in order to beat them your offense absolutely HAS to score on virtually all your possessions AND will need your defense to step up and get some stops.
PA hasn't needed to score 70 on an opponent cause 12 of 14 of their opponents are cupcakes compared to how good PA is. So they can keep their opponents under 20 so after getting 50 first half points then they can ease up. But if you put say PA up against Greenwood who also can score at any time, then that forces PA to have to play like these other teams do against them. They need to score on each possession AND get some big stops. Sure they can match Greenwood score for score. But Greenwood will be able to get some stops in along with scoring on most possessions. So like my original argument said, they had to score 86 in order to put away a team that put 56 on them. Wouldn't bet the house on it but I'd say with some certainty that Greenwood is better than LRC. So if PAs defense couldn't stop LRC from hanging 56 on them then how will they do against Greenwood.
Like I said they can match score for score sure. But if Greenwood is able to get 2 or 3 stops that PA can't then the final would be like 86 to 76 or whatever lol.

Make sense?? Kinda confused myself as I typed lol.

Like PADad said. Everyone has opinions but obviously mine is the corrrect one  ;D

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 08:38:02 pm »
I guess in a way I did lol.

If you play against a team like Harber or PA or Greenwood who will score on virtually every possession, then in order to beat them your offense absolutely HAS to score on virtually all your possessions AND will need your defense to step up and get some stops.
PA hasn't needed to score 70 on an opponent cause 12 of 14 of their opponents are cupcakes compared to how good PA is. So they can keep their opponents under 20 so after getting 50 first half points then they can ease up. But if you put say PA up against Greenwood who also can score at any time, then that forces PA to have to play like these other teams do against them. They need to score on each possession AND get some big stops. Sure they can match Greenwood score for score. But Greenwood will be able to get some stops in along with scoring on most possessions. So like my original argument said, they had to score 86 in order to put away a team that put 56 on them. Wouldn't bet the house on it but I'd say with some certainty that Greenwood is better than LRC. So if PAs defense couldn't stop LRC from hanging 56 on them then how will they do against Greenwood.
Like I said they can match score for score sure. But if Greenwood is able to get 2 or 3 stops that PA can't then the final would be like 86 to 76 or whatever lol.

Make sense?? Kinda confused myself as I typed lol.

Like PADad said. Everyone has opinions but obviously mine is the corrrect one  ;D

You are right that this year PA has to rely on its offense.  PA has a good defense against the run but the pass defense is not very good.

But, the offense is prolific.  They have scored on every possession except one in the last three games.

I think a PA/GW matchup would be classic, like the past games have been.  Iím really sorry we wonít see that this year.

By the way, do you want to take my bet on the NLR/Bryant game?

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 08:45:00 pm »

A 30 point win isnít good enough?  What is it that you require?

Offline The Future

• Starter
  • He>I
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 09:16:07 pm »
You are right that this year PA has to rely on its offense.  PA has a good defense against the run but the pass defense is not very good.

But, the offense is prolific.  They have scored on every possession except one in the last three games.

I think a PA/GW matchup would be classic, like the past games have been.  Iím really sorry we wonít see that this year.

By the way, do you want to take my bet on the NLR/Bryant game?

I think that would be a good game but I think NLR would get the win as well. More experience in winning big games but having it at Bryant will be a big advantage.
Both teams should be undefeated by the time they meet. If NLR happens to win then I see them rising high in the ranks. I have them where they are now due to beating 3 5A teams albeit good teams not pushovers, and their toughest conference win was Conway.

I think they have as good of a shot as the other top dogs in 7A but I think it's Harbers to lose this year. But then again we've seen the 7A good and we've seen the 7A bad but more often than not when it's all said and done either Fay or Bennie has held the trophy. Who knows maybe one of them will rise up and take the crown again.

I'll be honest come playoff time I'll be cheering for Bentonville West. I just think it'll be so awesome to go what a handful of wins in your first year to undefeated champs your second year.

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 09:25:53 pm »
I think that would be a good game but I think NLR would get the win as well. More experience in winning big games but having it at Bryant will be a big advantage.
Both teams should be undefeated by the time they meet. If NLR happens to win then I see them rising high in the ranks. I have them where they are now due to beating 3 5A teams albeit good teams not pushovers, and their toughest conference win was Conway.

I think they have as good of a shot as the other top dogs in 7A but I think it's Harbers to lose this year. But then again we've seen the 7A good and we've seen the 7A bad but more often than not when it's all said and done either Fay or Bennie has held the trophy. Who knows maybe one of them will rise up and take the crown again.

I'll be honest come playoff time I'll be cheering for Bentonville West. I just think it'll be so awesome to go what a handful of wins in your first year to undefeated champs your second year.

West is a great story, no doubt.  Harber has a great team, but the loss to Bentonville hurts.

You still didnít answer my question.  Bet a pizza on the NLR/Bryant game?

I said everyone has a bias.  Iím a NLR alum, so you know my bias.  NLR always has good athletes but they have consistently disappointed me in the big games.  But, I sense something different this year.  The new coach is now established and I think the team is buying in.  Itís time for the NW dominance to end.  NLR wins it all this year.

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 07:33:01 am »
If you call never trailing and more than doubling up the opponent on total yards struggling, then yes they did

I do if you consider yourself the #1 team in the state and a national power. The game seemed to be better contested than than the final score might indicate. The yardage and point differential is going to happen when you score, onside, recover, score....which in the end (as I said thru 3 quarters LRC kept pace and PA struggled to pull away completely) seemed to vault PA ahead for the final margin. PA had to score 33 in the final quarter to get to that margin and yet gave up 14 more in that quarter. 47 combined points in a quarter. There are teams that haven't given up much more points thru 6 complete games.   

As I said, its indicative of very little defense being played especially in the end.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:16:44 am by Pr8hd »

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 10:42:39 am »
PA is not the #1 team in the state, Greenwood is not the #1 team in the state. If either of those schools had to play a 7A schedule all season long they would have losses. Why we have an overall state poll is useless.

I will say this though, Greenwood has played a 6A/7A schedule in the past and won conference. Also over the course of a season I would take Greenwood over PA simply because of depth.

Offline 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 11:06:11 am »
Of the teams I have seen this year NLR has the most athletic team by far and I would be shocked if they don't win state but I would still put Greenwood, Harber, PA, and NLR as co number 1 overall. Harber losing is a head scratcher but that will only make them more dangerous down the road. Greenwood and PA probably won't have many if any competitive games for the remainder of the year.

Offline Overdahill

• Starter
  • Make a Difference
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 11:53:02 am »
I do if you consider yourself the #1 team in the state and a national power. The game seemed to be better contested than than the final score might indicate. The yardage and point differential is going to happen when you score, onside, recover, score....which in the end (as I said thru 3 quarters LRC kept pace and PA struggled to pull away completely) seemed to vault PA ahead for the final margin. PA had to score 33 in the final quarter to get to that margin and yet gave up 14 more in that quarter. 47 combined points in a quarter. There are teams that haven't given up much more points thru 6 complete games.   

As I said, its indicative of very little defense being played especially in the end.

Question: Did Bama "struggle" at A&M or NO because we all knew they would win in the end?

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 12:52:56 pm »
Question: Did Bama "struggle" at A&M or NO because we all knew they would win in the end?

So now PA is comparable to Alabama.....LoL!

Offline Overdahill

• Starter
  • Make a Difference
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 03:55:10 pm »
So now PA is comparable to Alabama.....LoL!

or maybe Clemson, have to wait for the new rankings  :D

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 10:38:58 pm »

Can you direct me to a single post by a PA poster that says we consider PA the number 1 team in the state or a national power?

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 08:37:59 am »
Can you direct me to a single post by a PA poster that says we consider PA the number 1 team in the state or a national power?

Here's your thread about the ranking discussion, although it should be pointed out yourself and few other more regular PA posters were dismissive of the ranking...my point is this the poll is very subjective and often based on perception of how you play the previous week or in the case of some of the tops teams it's based on style points.

According to maxpreps, PA is ranked 17th best team in the nation right behind Allen.

Most people are missing the point...#17 on a National Poll, is good for Arkansas Football...just like playing teams out of state and winning is GOOD for Arkansas Football. Honestly do I think we are the #17 team in the nation, probably not, BUT Maxpreps has PA ranked there. So again, its good for Arkansas Football.

HB's loss does not mean NLR, PA, nor GW necessarily beats them, but clearly they are beatable as are all the others when a weakness is exposed or when they fail to do what they do which is execute in the system they are in. Have no doubt that all 4 are good teams, but even good teams lose or can get tested by a perceived team that is not as strong.

The bottom line is rankings don't mean anything...trophy at the end means everything and is the only thing a team can control by playing well.

Offline Pr8hd

• All Star
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:41 am »
or maybe Clemson, have to wait for the new rankings  :D

+1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas