• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who were some of the best players in Arkansas the last three years???

Started by Power, January 31, 2006, 12:50:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Power

pimpinpats06

I've only followed Arkansas high school hoops the past 2 years but the 1st person jumping 2 mind is Sonny Weems from WM  who is currently the #1 Juco player in America and attending the U of A next fall. Also Mark Mangum also from WM was an outstanding PG... I watched Reggie Tims of Mills last year at the state tourny and he was very impressive, for his height he could flat out take control of a game.

Way Down Town

Quote from: pimpinpats06 on January 31, 2006, 01:47:48 pm
I've only followed Arkansas high school hoops the past 2 years but the 1st person jumping 2 mind is Sonny Weems from WM who is currently the #1 Juco player in America and attending the U of A next fall. Also Mark Mangum also from WM was an outstanding PG... I watched Reggie Tims of Mills last year at the state tourny and he was very impressive, for his height he could flat out take control of a game.

Those were good players, but another one that comes to mind is Luke Folkerts who took Alma to their first state championship ever. He could REALLY take over the game.

Vilonia 12th Man

Bly-Vegas

eaglefan06

Quote from: Bly-Vegas on January 31, 2006, 09:24:41 pm
John Fowler from Blytheville. That dude was the real deal.
We are talking about the best in the whole state not just good players in the area. Fowler was good, but he shouldn't be on this thread IMO

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: eaglefan06 on February 01, 2006, 12:59:41 pm
Quote from: Bly-Vegas on January 31, 2006, 09:24:41 pm
John Fowler from Blytheville. That dude was the real deal.
We are talking about the best in the whole state not just good players in the area. Fowler was good, but he shouldn't be on this thread IMO

I'd put Fowler up against 2 or 3 of the ones already mentioned on this thread.  And I'd like my chances.

PurpleBear#1

Ronnie Brewer probably the best but that guy from Althemier that plays for Olemiss isn't to bad either can't think of his name.

eaglefan06

Quote from: Mike Diesel a.k.a. Freak on February 01, 2006, 01:02:50 pm
I'd put Fowler up against 2 or 3 of the ones already mentioned on this thread. And I'd like my chances.
OMG you cant be serious, so you think you think Fowler is the same caliber as Ronnie Brewer (plays for U of A in case you didn't know and is one of the best college players in the nation) and Marcus Monk who also played for Ark. but is a stud in football so he quit playin bball for em. I would like to see Fowler go up against Ronnie.... RB would wipe the court with him  ;D   Freak, I know you go to every Bville game so how can you say that about Fowler. Did I miss somethin last year????

athletic supporter

Brewer-Fayetteville
Patterson-Altheimer
Folkerts-Alma
Weems-West Memphis
Tims-Mills
Monk-East Poinsett County

I will take these 6 and play anybody you want to put on the floor from the past 3 years from the state.

eaglefan06

nice picks youth guy..... that would be a bad @$$ team.... WOW

shiloh forever

chicks_fan

Quote from: eaglefan06 on February 01, 2006, 03:31:36 pm
I'd put Fowler up against 2 or 3 of the ones already mentioned on this thread. And I'd like my chances.
OMG you cant be serious, so you think you think Fowler is the same caliber as Ronnie Brewer (plays for U of A in case you didn't know and is one of the best college players in the nation) and Marcus Monk who also played for Ark. but is a stud in football so he quit playin bball for em. I would like to see Fowler go up against Ronnie.... RB would wipe the court with him  ;D   Freak, I know you go to every Bville game so how can you say that about Fowler. Did I miss somethin last year????

I saw alot of games that John Fowler played in. He is a very talented basketball player. He didnt get the chance to start out at a D-1 college because of grades, but teams like Cincinnati wanted him to play for them. Just wait, he will make something of himself.

eaglefan06

Quote from: chicks_fan on February 01, 2006, 07:26:54 pm
OMG you cant be serious, so you think you think Fowler is the same caliber as Ronnie Brewer (plays for U of A in case you didn't know and is one of the best college players in the nation) and Marcus Monk who also played for Ark. but is a stud in football so he quit playin bball for em. I would like to see Fowler go up against Ronnie.... RB would wipe the court with him ;D Freak, I know you go to every Bville game so how can you say that about Fowler. Did I miss somethin last year????

I saw alot of games that John Fowler played in. He is a very talented basketball player. He didnt get the chance to start out at a D-1 college because of grades, but teams like Cincinnati wanted him to play for them. Just wait, he will make something of himself.
I am gonna be waitin.... maybe he will prove me wrong

MikeDiesel™

OMG you cant be serious, so you think you think Fowler is the same caliber as Ronnie Brewer (plays for U of A in case you didn't know and is one of the best college players in the nation) and Marcus Monk who also played for Ark. but is a stud in football so he quit playin bball for em. I would like to see Fowler go up against Ronnie.... RB would wipe the court with him ;D Freak, I know you go to every Bville game so how can you say that about Fowler. Did I miss somethin last year????

Fowler would hang with both Folkerts and Monk.  And that's 2 which is what I said.  You just seem so sure that he shouldn't be mentioned with them, and I disagree.  I watched Monk play probably 8 or 9 times his senior year.  And he would probably be a little better than Fowler, but no by much. 

Way Down Town

Quote from: youthguy on February 01, 2006, 03:32:57 pm
Brewer-Fayetteville
Patterson-Altheimer
Folkerts-Alma
Weems-West Memphis
Tims-Mills

I will take these 6 and play anybody you want to put on the floor from the past 3 years from the state.

That is one heck of a team...I would take any of them in a heart beat!

Power

Ronnie Brewer-G- Probably the most sought after recruit to come out of Arkansas. Very dominant!

Brandon Patterson-G- Very good player from the small classification. Helps Ole Miss out a lot at any position.

Luke Folkerts-G- Probably the best shooter to come out of Arkansas in a while. Lead the Dales to an xciting State Championship run. Very, very fundamental...

Marcus Monk-F- Did every thing for EPC. It didn't matter how much he scored they were going to win.

Jeremy Parnell-C- Most Dominant big man in recent history. Big time Gosnell player.

Those were some premier players...No doubt about it!

PurpleBear#1

What about that guy Arkansas landed this year who is one of the top players in the nation he was from Arkansas until transferring over to some place in Texas.

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: PurpleBear#1 on February 02, 2006, 01:52:55 am
What about that guy Arkansas landed this year who is one of the top players in the nation he was from Arkansas until transferring over to some place in Texas.

The Washington kid.  He wasn't a bad player at all from what I've heard.

eaglefan06

I dont think Fowler could hang wit Monk this is just my opinion but Monk has a height advantage and he could do it all. There is no way. Fowler was not that great... Monk was great. As freshmen him and and PJ Lacy came up after Jr high and took their weak sr high to the state tourney. They were amazing.

herws

Quote from: Mike Diesel a.k.a. Freak on February 02, 2006, 07:19:19 am

The Washington kid. He wasn't a bad player at all from what I've heard.
That kid is not in Texas, he is playing at a prep school called Genesis One in Mendenhall, Mississippi.

eaglefan06

Quote from: herws on February 02, 2006, 08:55:41 am

That kid is not in Texas, he is playing at a prep school called Genesis One in Mendenhall, Mississippi.
This kid is amazing. I think he will get a lot of PT at Ark... but i haven't heard much bout him this year since he is in Miss.

herws

I read an article in the Clarion Ledger and he is considering a jump to the NBA.

heathwaldrop

When he left Arkansas he was still a sophomore and he wasn't very good. I saw him play in both junior high and during his sophomore year and I just kept thinking "this kid is huge but has no talent." Then suddenly after transferring he blew up.

I'd consider him to be a current player. If you're considering current players too, James Anderson has to be No. 1 on the list.

If you're speaking about only Class AAAA players, Washingon wouldn't count because he was at McGehee (Class AAA).

herws

He turned out to be a player b/c real basketball coaches got a hold of him. His prep school team has 10 d1's, all legit, and he is the best player and leading scorer.

urban legend

Quote from: youthguy on February 01, 2006, 03:32:57 pm
Brewer-Fayetteville
Patterson-Altheimer
Folkerts-Alma
Weems-West Memphis
Tims-Mills

I like that list, with Tims and Gabriel Moore (Mills, Indiana State) being interchangeable.

athletic supporter

Quote from: heathwaldrop on February 02, 2006, 10:18:37 am

When he left Arkansas he was still a sophomore and he wasn't very good. I saw him play in both junior high and during his sophomore year and I just kept thinking "this kid is huge but has no talent." Then suddenly after transferring he blew up.

I'd consider him to be a current player. If you're considering current players too, James Anderson has to be No. 1 on the list.

If you're speaking about only Class AAAA players, Washingon wouldn't count because he was at McGehee (Class AAA).

James Anderson number 1 on the list? Can you please tell me where I can go to get some of that stuff you are on?

herws

He's right. But Anderson and Washington are about even, but you have to think that Anderson is better b/c he is two years younger.

athletic supporter

Quote from: herws on February 02, 2006, 10:50:05 am
He's right. But Anderson and Washington are about even, but you have to think that Anderson is better b/c he is two years younger.

Anderson is better than Brewer, Patterson, Weems, Tims, Monk, and Folkerts? I will admit that I haven't seen him play, but if he is better than those six then he must be one heck of a player.

Way Down Town

Quote from: MVP_Brian on February 02, 2006, 12:53:31 am
Ronnie Brewer-G- Probably the most sought after recruit to come out of Arkansas. Very dominant!

Brandon Patterson-G- Very good player from the small classification. Helps Ole Miss out a lot at any position.

Luke Folkerts-G- Probably the best shooter to come out of Arkansas in a while. Lead the Dales to an xciting State Championship run. Very, very fundamental...

Marcus Monk-F- Did every thing for EPC. It didn't matter how much he scored they were going to win.

Jeremy Parnell-C- Most Dominant big man in recent history. Big time Gosnell player.

That's a fantasy team You got shooters, ball handlers, and big men. You could probably win a few games in the SEC with that crew!

pinkpanther

i'd say brewer would probably be the best from some of the past yaers.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: youthguy on February 02, 2006, 10:44:57 am
James Anderson number 1 on the list? Can you please tell me where I can go to get some of that stuff you are on?

Sure can...you can get it in a dumpy little gymnasium in Junction City, Arkansas.

Folkerts wasn't even a D-I prospect (is he playing anywhere now?); no way in Hades is he better than Anderson is.

Monk doesn't even play basketball anymore. If he was as good as Anderson is, he'd be on basketball scholarship and not on football scholarship.

Tims couldn't even be on the same floor as Anderson.

Patterson isn't nearly the all-around player that Anderson is, and Brewer doesn't have Anderson's shooting ability.

I don't know anything about Weems.

Anderson is the real thing, folks. He's only a junior and in the last two weeks, Kentucky, Arizona, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and some Big 12 schools have been in the gym to see him. This was after Arkansas has offered him already and Stan Heath has sat his butt in those uncomfortable bleachers three or four times this year already.

Can any of these other players make that claim? Heck, can any player in state history make that claim?

athletic supporter

Any in state history? How about a few guys named Williamson, Moncrief, Lee, Delph, Cutts? I know Willie Cutts had more people look at him. He was the number 1 rateed recruit in the nation his senior year.

What is JC's record this year? Is their state tourney at Jessieville?

herws

Quote from: heathwaldrop on February 02, 2006, 12:23:15 pm
Quote from: youthguy on February 02, 2006, 10:44:57 am

Can any of these other players make that claim? Heck, can any player in state history make that claim?
I think that there are a number of players that can say that also. Anderson is lucky of enough to be one of them. Moncrief, Corliss, Brewer, Joe Johnson. I still think it is a little early to be called the GOAT, but he has that potential.

Sonny Weems is the best JUCO player in America and is probably a little better than Anderson and Washington.

pimpinpats06

Quote from: MVP_Brian on February 02, 2006, 12:53:31 am

Take out Folkerts and add Sonny Weems and u got a team that could win the Sun Belt

heathwaldrop

Quote from: herws on February 02, 2006, 01:25:00 pm
Moncrief, Corliss, Brewer, Joe Johnson. I still think it is a little early to be called the GOAT, but he has that potential.

I don't know that that number of those caliber of programs actively recruited those players during their junior years. Joe Johnson committed early as I recall so that might have kept the bigger programs off of him. Williamson wasn't the type of player that Kentucky was looking for back then, so I'm not sure about him.

Not sure which Brewer you mean but if you're talking about the first Brewer, I doubt that he would have drawn as much attention as Anderson's getting now...recruiting was a completely different animal in the '70s; I have no idea how highly-recruited Moncrief was.

I'm not calling Anderson the greatest of all time, but I am saying that he might be the most highly-recruited as a high schooler, especially this early. I don't know if he is or not, but he might be.

I defer to the judgment of the recruiters over my own judgment and if they think he's that good, then he must be pretty good.

Sonny Weems is the best JUCO player in America and is probably a little better than Anderson and Washington.

The question though was about the players' abilities while still in high school, so that's why I said Anderson.

herws

I was talking about the younger Brewer who had Kansas and Roy Williams in town his junior year. Those guys I mentioned were all-americans, and if they are all americans then they have schools looking. Now when you have schools offering, that's a different ball game.  These guys all play AAU and every school is gonna see them play sooner or later. Corliss was recruited by everybody since he was in 10th grade. Keith Lee and Michael Cage had offers from all over as 10th graders as well. James Anderson is in pretty good company.

Sonny Weems blew up last year and you are dead on with Anderson being better.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: youthguy on February 02, 2006, 12:48:51 pm
I know Willie Cutts had more people look at him. He was the number 1 rateed recruit in the nation his senior year.

By whom? Again, recruiting was a different animal back then...there was no Rivals100 and Scout.com and all of that other jazz.

What is JC's record this year? Is their state tourney at Jessieville?

Not sure (about six losses as I recall) and not sure.

heathwaldrop

You're right about offers being a different thing than recruiting. Don't know how many offers Anderson has now. Don't know how many Ronnie Brewer had. Do know that Brewer had interest from Kansas and Connecticut as well as a bunch of other schools.

My point initially in replying is that Anderson needs to be mentioned at the top when you're talking about the best players in the last three years, if you're going to include this year. He's better than some of the players who had been mentioned already. Ron Crawford in fact says that Anderson is one of the top 25 nationally right now.

herws

In the last three years I woul say he is the best as far as where he stands, he is only a junior. Brewer can't shoot it like Anderson. I still think Anderson is going to get better offers than the Hogs. It's just a matter of time.

athletic supporter

Quote from: heathwaldrop on February 02, 2006, 02:04:56 pm
You're right about offers being a different thing than recruiting. Don't know how many offers Anderson has now. Don't know how many Ronnie Brewer had. Do know that Brewer had interest from Kansas and Connecticut as well as a bunch of other schools.

My point initially in replying is that Anderson needs to be mentioned at the top when you're talking about the best players in the last three years, if you're going to include this year. He's better than some of the players who had been mentioned already. Ron Crawford in fact says that Anderson is one of the top 25 nationally right now.

I don't put alot of stock into what Crawford says. He and Otis Kirk are the biggest jokes in this state. BTW, does Anderson play on Crawford's AAU team?

mase2006

is monk gonna play basketball this year for the hogs? if he is, then hes gettin in pretty late in the season

heathwaldrop

Not sure if Anderson plays for Crawford's team but I assume so. I don't think that he would have gotten him if he didn't think he was good.

Don't like Crawford? Here's what Dudley Dawson wrote about him in Hawgs Illustrated this week:

"The 16-year-old is the most 'complete' player I have seen in Arkansas in a long, long time and yes that includes Corliss Williamson, Joe Johnson and Ronnie Brewer.  While he may or may not have as good a college or NBA careers as they have/will, he is solid in all facets of the game.

"Anderson has outstanding athleticism, can shoot the 3, has a mid-range game, hits nearly 90 percent of his free throws, dribbles it equally well with both hands, creates his own shot, can take it to the rack, is an excellent passer and gets after it defensively.

"While not very talkative, he's also as humble as they come."

It's clear that you're a Doubting Thomas on this matter, youthguy, which is fine...I'm that way myself, so I can't knock you for it. I wasn't sure about Anderson at all until I watched him. You should do the same if you get a chance. He made a believer out of me.

niceguy

where does this guy go to school anderson i mean

and what about brandon ballard from bic he was awsome he had kansas and north carolina looking at him

heathwaldrop

Quote from: niceguy on February 04, 2006, 02:31:42 pm

Junction City and I still haven't been able to figure out what "BIC" stands for.

oLd ChArTeR

Parnell was a joke in high but is turning out better than i expected

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: heathwaldrop on February 04, 2006, 06:42:27 pm
Quote from: niceguy on February 04, 2006, 02:31:42 pm

Junction City and I still haven't been able to figure out what "BIC" stands for.

Strangely enough, Buffalo Island Central.  Not sure where the buffalos are, but hey...

Quote from: oLd ChArTeR on February 04, 2006, 07:04:02 pm
Parnell was a joke in high but is turning out better than i expected

Parnell was a joke in high school?   Man, you missed some amazing games by that boy.  I always said that he would be one of the better power forwards in the SEC by the time he's a senior.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: Mike Diesel a.k.a. Freak on February 04, 2006, 07:27:49 pm
Strangely enough, Buffalo Island Central. Not sure where the buffalos are, but hey...

Are there any islands there either? Or is this one of those "Holy Roman Empire" situations?

What size is this school and where is it?

chicks_fan

Quote from: heathwaldrop on February 05, 2006, 09:21:01 am
Strangely enough, Buffalo Island Central. Not sure where the buffalos are, but hey...

Are there any islands there either? Or is this one of those "Holy Roman Empire" situations?

Nope, there are no islands there either. It is a very small school in Monette, about halfway between Blytheville and Jonesboro if that helps any. They are in Class AA.

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: chicks_fan on February 05, 2006, 01:46:33 pm
Quote from: heathwaldrop on February 05, 2006, 09:21:01 am

Nope, there are no islands there either. It is a very small school in Monette, about halfway between Blytheville and Jonesboro if that helps any. They are in Class A.

They are actually a Class AA school.  It's a consolidated school including the towns of Leachville and Monette.  I think the area is referred to as "Buffalo Island".  Solid basketball program over the years.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas