• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hospitals, Nursing Homes Use Nintendo

Started by -Painted Fan-, March 04, 2008, 12:11:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Painted Fan-

Heard this on the radio on the way to work this morning:
You may actually want to go to your next physical therapy session.  It seems doctors, therapists, and even nursing homes are using the Nintendo Wii on their patients.   It's known as "Wii-Hab" (no joke!).  Physical Therapy, or PT (commonly referred to as "pain & torture!), may be a thing of the past.  Hand and wrist patients are now using the Wii controller to improve movement, playing Wii-Play games such as bowling, tennis, boxing, baseball, and golf.  Nursing homes are also getting into the action, using the Wii to give the elderly a little exercise.  Even wheelchair-bound patients are able to join in the fun.

ahoycorey

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on March 04, 2008, 12:11:22 am
Heard this on the radio on the way to work this morning:
You may actually want to go to your next physical therapy session.  It seems doctors, therapists, and even nursing homes are using the Nintendo Wii on their patients.   It's known as "Wii-Hab" (no joke!).  Physical Therapy, or PT (commonly referred to as "pain & torture!), may be a thing of the past.  Hand and wrist patients are now using the Wii controller to improve movement, playing Wii-Play games such as bowling, tennis, boxing, baseball, and golf.  Nursing homes are also getting into the action, using the Wii to give the elderly a little exercise.  Even wheelchair-bound patients are able to join in the fun.
That's pretty awesome! It makes me want to break my wrist. ;)

bbmom

There's a hand held game that helps improve your peripheral vision and by using it, some Macular Degeneration patients have "taught" their brains to read from the peripheral instead of straight forward. My daughter learned about it in biological psychology last semester & my dad, who has MD, bought it. Apparently it is a long, slow therapy, but he's giving it a shot.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas