• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Hate Dr. Pepper!

Started by -Painted Fan-, December 30, 2007, 03:13:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Painted Fan-

Why does Dr. Pepper spew everywhere the first time you open a bottle?!
I opened a 2 liter awhile ago, and it soaked the kitchen floor.
Every time I get a 20 oz. bottle out of the vending machine or off the gut-truck at work, it spews.
I made the mistake of getting one and opening it in my car while driving.  It covered me, the dashboard, and was dripping off the ceiling!
I hate Dr. Pepper!

shotgunbilly3215

I know what you mean, but it just has that addicting flavor!

The Reality is back...

I don't like it's taste, so I've never had this happen.

True Believer

And why  when someone else opens it and it spews all over them it's funny but when it's me I just get ticked off.  I haven't noticed it doing it everytime I open one up so now I will pay more attention.  And this happens everytime you do it?  It must be a conspiracy by Pepsi!

Throwback1

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on December 30, 2007, 03:13:33 am
Why does Dr. Pepper spew everywhere the first time you open a bottle?!
I opened a 2 liter awhile ago, and it soaked the kitchen floor.
Every time I get a 20 oz. bottle out of the vending machine or off the gut-truck at work, it spews.
I made the mistake of getting one and opening it in my car while driving.  It covered me, the dashboard, and was dripping off the ceiling!
I hate Dr. Pepper!
That is just amazing isn't it?!  I know exactly how you feel..take me...every SINGLE time I go out and buy a lottery ticket, I never EVER win!  Man, life is just weird.

rabs_fan4life

I have always noticed that about Dr.Pepper!  Most soft drink bottles after having been shaken up and rolled around have that tendency; but Dr.Pepper seems to do it when nothing at all has happened to the bottle!  Every dang time!  I always catch myself opening Dr.Pepper slowly!  Just an FYI kinda thing to who ever said it's a Pepsi conspiracy above...Dr.Pepper is independant, it is not owned through Coca Cola or Pepsi....and it is typcially sold in both machines...and at restraunts that serve either Coca Cola or Pepsi one or theo ther...they still always have Dr.Pepper!

I have worked very hard to seperate myself from soft drinks, and drink mostly water and juice; but I will admit that Dr.Pepper is my weakness!  If I didn't care about my health at all or if Dr.Pepper was some how magically good for you one day....there would be an IV hooked up to me at night when I went to bed!  I make that joke all the time about my mom because she can't live with out Diet Pepsi...it never leaves her hands during the day and I often ask "how do you make it at night....are you set up with an IV and a constant drip?"

Quite Frankly

You got to sacrifice for the good stuff.

Give me a spewing bottle of Dr. P any day over a non-spewing bottle of anything else.

Got to go with cans.

True Believer

December 30, 2007, 01:54:38 pm #7 Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:00:22 pm by True Believer
Quote from: rabs_fan4life aka Mrs.Manningfan on December 30, 2007, 01:52:15 pm
I have always noticed that about Dr.Pepper!  Most soft drink bottles after having been shaken up and rolled around have that tendency; but Dr.Pepper seems to do it when nothing at all has happened to the bottle!  Every dang time!  I always catch myself opening Dr.Pepper slowly!  Just an FYI kinda thing to who ever said it's a Pepsi conspiracy above...Dr.Pepper is independant, it is not owned through Coca Cola or Pepsi....and it is typcially sold in both machines...and at restraunts that serve either Coca Cola or Pepsi one or theo ther...they still always have Dr.Pepper!

I have worked very hard to seperate myself from soft drinks, and drink mostly water and juice; but I will admit that Dr.Pepper is my weakness!  If I didn't care about my health at all or if Dr.Pepper was some how magically good for you one day....there would be an IV hooked up to me at night when I went to bed!  I make that joke all the time about my mom because she can't live with out Diet Pepsi...it never leaves her hands during the day and I often ask "how do you make it at night....are you set up with an IV and a constant drip?"

I didn't know that.  I thought Coke owned it.  See what important stuff you learn on FF.  At our schools we can only sell Coke products and it's in the machines there.  So either Pepsi or Coke could be sabotaging the Dr.  And in case you think I'm serious......please....j/k.

rabs_fan4life

December 30, 2007, 02:00:02 pm #8 Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:01:44 pm by rabs_fan4life aka Mrs.Manningfan
Quote from: True Believer on December 30, 2007, 01:54:38 pm
Quote from: rabs_fan4life aka Mrs.Manningfan on December 30, 2007, 01:52:15 pm

I didn't know that.  I thought Coke owned it.  See what important stuff you learn on FF.  At our schools we can only sell Coke products and it's in the machines there.
Coke use to own Dr.Pepper years ago, not exactly sure how long ago it was.  But they became independant a while back; thus they are sold with both Coke and Pepsi products now!  I know they were already independant when I was in high school; but for some reason at the store I worked at during high school when we re-stocked our drinks the Dr.Pepper still always came with the Coke products.  It is most often still placed in the coolers at gas stations next to the Coke products as well....but it not uncommon at all to find it with Pepsi product at some places either. 

Ummm...I am beginning to think I know waaaaay to mucha bout Dr.Pepper!  My previous addictions to it were nothing shy of sinful...you would have thought I had a bottle of it permanently glued to my hand at all times!  Now I might have one coke a day, two tops!  It's hard every time I walk past the bottle not to pour it instead of get a bottle of water...but I have managed!  It's not near as hard now as it use to be!

Quite Frankly

December 30, 2007, 02:14:34 pm #9 Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:17:29 pm by Quite Frankly
Dr.Pepper is owned my Cadbary/Swepps.  They also own 7-up.  But, due to old local distributorship's it varies who owns what.  But she's pretty much got it right.

In theory, 7-Up has all rights that are not super ceded by old contracts.

In Benton Co. were I live, Mr. Pibb is non existent.  Though it's a Coke product on a national basis, it has a zero market share in NWA stores due to the strength of Dr.Pepper.  In NWA, the Coke distributor owns the DP rights and has tried to get people to switch.  But they failed in their attempt because Dr.Pepper is EQUAL in market share to Coke.  So the local company gave up on Pibb.

In Fort Smith, the Coke people push Pibb because they don't have the DP rights.  Pepsi does.  It confuses people all the time.  If you go to a restaurant or mini mart in Rogers/BV/Fay, you can get DP no matter if Pepsi or Coke has the rights because they share fountain outlets.  But if you go to a ball game and see Coke in Ft Smith, they will have Pibb.  But go to a ball game in NWA and if they have Coke they will have DP.

As you can tell, DP drinkers have it good for the most part.  But a guy I know that works as a Big Wig for Coke said Dr.Pepper had the their biggest market share in NWA and in Arkansas than practically anywhere else.

Rabs was right, I just elaborated a little.

VIVA LA DR PEPPER!

In fact, think I'll have one now.

RD™

Dr Pepper + Crown = Good Times

rabs_fan4life

Quote from: RD on December 30, 2007, 03:04:40 pm
Dr Pepper + Crown = Good Times

Dr.Pepper + Crow = times I don't quite remember

Only did that once or twice and decided Dr.Pepper was dangerous enough to me on it's own...it needs nothing else to possibly make me worse!

30kfeet

Whoever decided that Mr. Pibb (aka putrid swill) is a substitute for the Dr. should be flogged, drawn, and quartered.  More evidence of a world devoid of any measure of taste and refinement.

True Believer

No matter who "owns" it.  It's good stuff.  Except for the spewing.   

bear backer

I have been drinking Dr.Pepper ever since it was in a glass bottle. It tasted better then and was only a nickle..use to drag my wagon around town looking fo empty bottles..to cash them in to buy penny candy and a bottle of Dr.Pepper...Coke was better in the glass bottle too

Quite Frankly

bear backer

Quite Frankly

rare +1's handed out from me to all DP drinkers.

late Christmas presents.

True Believer

One to you too QF.  Thanks.

Throwback1

Quote from: Quite Frankly on December 30, 2007, 04:38:00 pm
rare +1's handed out from me to all DP drinkers.

late Christmas presents.
lol...ty, and back at ya

dc24

Eddie Goodson

The ingredient that gives DP it's distinctive taste is ginger. I've often wondered by DP's spew more. I guess they must carbonate it more than other bottlers do. A DP and a bag of peanuts is a redneck lunch. Peanuts don't taste as good in any other drink.

Quite Frankly

December 30, 2007, 04:56:31 pm #23 Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:59:41 pm by Quite Frankly
It's funny you mention that EG.  Though I don't drink it often, I was sort of brought up to have a bag of Tom's peanuts(a rare find nowadays) with 7-up.  I know, I know it's blasphemy.

My dad used it as a trick on me as a preschooler to "eliminate motion sickness" on long car rides.  Though since 'cured', to this day when I get the rare motion sickness feeling I grab a 7-Up and peanuts.

But for DP and peanuts, that's about a twice a month treat for me.  But with the glass bottles to mix them with gone, I just eat them out of the bag and swig as a chaser.

Quite Frankly

We will know wait the arrival of Fat Money to the thread to expand on the virtues of a Route 44 Diet Dr. Pepper from Sonic.

FTR, i think Diet DP is the best diet drink out there.  But I don't want it.  I'd rather have 1 reg than 5 diet ones.

bear backer

If your lucky enough to find a coke thats in the bottle, a lot of the new church keys won't work on it...Huh... does anyone not know what a church key is?

Throwback1

Quote from: bear backer on December 30, 2007, 05:04:30 pm
If your lucky enough to find a coke thats in the bottle, a lot of the new church keys won't work on it...Huh... does anyone not know what a church key is?
sure...still got  a couple

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Quite Frankly on December 30, 2007, 04:56:31 pm
It's funny you mention that EG.  Though I don't drink it often, I was sort of brought up to have a bag of Tom's peanuts(a rare find nowadays) with 7-up.  I know, I know it's blasphemy.

My dad used it as a trick on me as a preschooler to "eliminate motion sickness" on long car rides.  Though since 'cured', to this day when I get the rare motion sickness feeling I grab a 7-Up and peanuts.

But for DP and peanuts, that's about a twice amount treat for me.  But with the glass bottles to mix them with gone, I just eat them out of the bag and swig as a chaser.
There is truth in what your father had to say. There was a mythbusters episode a while back where they proved that ginger is in effective relieving motion sickness. DP will settle your stomach.

I don't know if there's any ginger in 7-up or not. 7-up, Mountain Dew, and Sprite are all of the devil.

Quite Frankly

I rarely drink 7-Up, but tend to crave it a few times a year.  Strangely, it's when I'm a little sick.  For the love of God, I don't understand Dew.

I used to drink a lot of 7 & Seven.  But not anymore.  :)

-Painted Fan-

I actually love Dr. Pepper.  I just don't understand the spewing thing.  It's got to have something to do with the combination of those 23 flavors.  I wish they would have come out with a regular cherry chocolate Dr. Pepper, and not just in diet.  That's my favorite milk shake (cherry chocolate), and folks always look at me weird when I order it.  But it's the bomb; trust me!

Quite Frankly

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on December 30, 2007, 06:40:18 pm
I actually love Dr. Pepper.  I just don't understand the spewing thing.

Some things are worth the sacrifice.

Try cans.  I never have issues with cans.

bulldogs1159

Always a case or more of DP at our house. All three of us that live here are addicted to it.

BTW DP + Capitan Morgan's Tattoo Rum= Awesome

AllSmiles

Quote from: G on December 30, 2007, 08:39:57 pm

I tend to gravitate to Pepsi products.

I just put you on my prayer list.

-Painted Fan-

Has anyone ever noticed that Coke tends to fizz a little more than other drinks when poured into a glass?  That's how I could tell which one was Coke before ever tasting them when doing the Pepsi Challenge.  Remember doing the penny experiment in school- seeing what Coke does to a penny?  Imagine what it's doing to your stomach.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on December 30, 2007, 09:50:32 pm
Has anyone ever noticed that Coke tends to fizz a little more than other drinks when poured into a glass?  That's how I could tell which one was Coke before ever tasting them when doing the Pepsi Challenge.  Remember doing the penny experiment in school- seeing what Coke does to a penny?  Imagine what it's doing to your stomach.

Some people tend to rinse their ice of before pouring a drink into it.  It will diminish the foam greatly.

Try it.  Just go to the sink with a cup of ice.  Fill it with water and then drain the water.  Pour your coke on it and watch.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: G on December 30, 2007, 10:09:05 pm
Also, I don't know why, but it seems like everyone in the south likes their ice with a little drink.

My parents fill their glass full, pack it down, and then add more ice before they put in their Diet coke, tea, whatever.

I hate that much ice. All it does is water it down, and take the fizz out. I mean if it's already cold, like most fountain drinks are, you don't need that much ice to make it colder.

If the drink is already cold, I go no ice. If it's not, I go 3 or 4 cubes at most.
I always go no ice at fountians. You get more for your money that way as well.

AllSmiles

Quote from: G on December 30, 2007, 09:15:22 pm
Quote from: AllSmiles on December 30, 2007, 08:58:33 pm

I appreciate the gesture.

Pepsi>Coke

I like coke, but Pepsi is better.

Blasphemer! Oh and Coke is so much better with ice from Sonic. The best Coke is when you take a drink, it burns going down and makes your eyes water. Yum!

AHM™

I can't live without my Dr.Pepper and the b/f hates it...He's tried to limit me on them, but I sneak them in on him most of the time...And i've you've been an avid dp drinker you have known for awhile to alway open slowly....

Quite Frankly

Step 1:  Get large glass

Step 2:  Fill with Ice to the brim(rinse if needed)

Step 3:  Fill with Dr.Pepper

Step 4:  Repeat

bulldogs1159

Quote from: AHM on December 30, 2007, 10:18:52 pm
I can't live without my Dr.Pepper and the b/f hates it...He's tried to limit me on them, but I sneak them in on him most of the time...And i've you've been an avid dp drinker you have known for awhile to alway open slowly....
What was that last sentence?

AHM™

sorry...getting kinda tired....it's suspost to say if you've been an avid dp drinker

Quite Frankly

December 30, 2007, 10:29:11 pm #41 Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:30:54 pm by Quite Frankly
Quote from: G on December 30, 2007, 10:28:01 pm
Quote from: Quite Frankly on December 30, 2007, 10:19:55 pm
Step 2:  Fill with Ice to the brim(rinse if needed)

Why?  A fourth of the way up does the trick.

Unless you like yours watered down and un-fizzed.

I don't have a nipple on mine. 

Those 4 steps are done in short order.  I don't build a time delay into it.
No chance for water.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: AHM on December 30, 2007, 10:21:24 pm
sorry...getting kinda tired....it's suspost to say if you've been an avid dp drinker
Ahh I understand now. I was about to ask if this is going to be a post drunk night. If so I was going to run to the kitchen. :)

shotgunbilly3215

allsmiles, you've just been put on mine. Maybe one day you will see the light that is the Pepsi Co. lol

Quote from: Quite Frankly on December 30, 2007, 06:42:12 pm

Same here, never had any issues with the cans. Plus, I think the drink is alot colder coming outta the can.

Has anyone noticed when you go to certain restaraunts and you ask for the Dr and they ask if you would like Pibb instead? Whoever said Pibb and Dr.Pepper tasted the same?

I used to drink DP ALL the freaken time, but have since cut back to almost none at all/ever. I used drink them all day every day.....that overtime led to weight gain. :)  Had to do somethin about that....lol

AllSmiles

Quote from: shotgunbilly on December 30, 2007, 10:30:11 pm

allsmiles, you've just been put on mine. Maybe one day you will see the light that is the Pepsi Co. lol

Quote from: Quite Frankly on December 30, 2007, 06:42:12 pm

Same here, never had any issues with the cans. Plus, I think the drink is alot colder coming outta the can.

Has anyone noticed when you go to certain restaraunts and you ask for the Dr and they ask if you would like Pibb instead? Whoever said Pibb and Dr.Pepper tasted the same?

I used to drink DP ALL the freaken time, but have since cut back to almost none at all/ever. I used drink them all day every day.....that overtime led to weight gain. :)  Had to do somethin about that....lol

Never. :)

Marionpats07™

DP must hate you guys...it's always been kind to me and not spewed on me =D

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

The wife drinks the stuff all the time.  I used to, but can't stand it now.  way too sweet.  I'll drink the D DP before the leaded stuff. 

But, for what's it worth, DP is who flew me, the wife, and two of our friends to Atlanta, put us up in the CNN Omni, and gave us tickets to the SECC game.  And doing the same for my father-in-law today for the cotton bowl.  So, I guess I better talk good about them :)

Chief_Osceola™

PF, I think it's a conspiracy.  Dr. Pepper purposely shakes all bottles and cans before distributing them.  It's pretty much an unwritten rule that Dr. Pepper must be opened with great care so as to not spew soda all over the place.  It gives it a certain uniqueness, kind of like how everyone knows that Cap'n Crunch cuts the roof of your mouth.

Either that or something in the formula causes it to create a more volatile reaction when the pressure is released.  Maybe it has more initial carbonation.

INSURE2WIN

I also think they put something in there to make you think that you must have an open can in everyroom of the house.  I think DP has put some ingredient in there to make my wife think she can only take two sips from a bottle then go open another. As much DP as she buys a week, not actually drinks, we will never go into another depression.

Texarkana_Piggie

when you open any bottled drink....don't take it off all at once....unscrew it just a little to let the air out then tighten it back down.  watch the foam...it will come up and then go back down.  then when it's gone, you can open it and enjoy.  takes patience.  anticipation.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas