• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FEMA Denies Disaster Relief For Tornado Victims

Started by -Painted Fan-, March 13, 2007, 09:53:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Painted Fan-

I just saw it on the 9:00 news (KNWA NBC) that the jerks from FEMA have denied disaster relief for the tornado victims in Desha County.  They have set up low interest loans for them instead.  What a bunch of morons!
My heart goes out to the folks in Dumas.  They must feel like they've been hit again after this debacle.

On the Move

My heart goes out also to them.  How many trailers were they needing to sell that are not being used??  That information was released right after the tornado.  Seems like some of the folks would welcome them.

Father Guido

I was holding off on making any comments that might be slammed as too liberal, but I find it almost comical that W. doesn't agree that the damage is severe enough to declare Dumas and Desha County as a Disaster area, but F.E.M.A. is more than willing to cut through some red tape in order to unload some trailers.

MHSPANTHERS

March 13, 2007, 10:51:15 pm #3 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:54:32 pm by MHSPANTHERS
FEMA's like the gang that can't shoot straight.  And, this dosen't exactly inspire confidence in our Department of Homeland Security of which FEMA is an agency of.

Father Guido

I have a question.

Does anybody know where the 10,000 trailers that are sitting at Hope, came from?  Seriously.  Where were they before they were at Hope?  How did they get there?  Were they being stored somewhere? ...all at the same place?...several places?

Just curious.

mulerider12

Quote from: Father Guido on March 14, 2007, 02:00:59 am
I have a question.

Does anybody know where the 10,000 trailers that are sitting at Hope, came from?  Seriously.  Where were they before they were at Hope?  How did they get there?  Were they being stored somewhere? ...all at the same place?...several places?

Just curious.

More than likely they were mass produced all at one time from different plants all over the us.. Alot of these companies put together a stripped down version of thier  campers and houses fro things like this... I know Fleetwood does this. They have no identifying marks on the outside.. I believe they are orderded and produced quickly........To expensive to just have them sitting around on a manufacture lot waiting, because some years you would not need them... So we built them and send them to rot... FEMA needs a revamp

Boingy

FEMA has needed a revamp since the day of its inception.

On the Move

News just said Fema would send 30 trailers from Hope.  I would think that area could use more than that, from the photos I have seen. >:( >:(

Garo

I was through Dumas a couple of weeks ago and the damage is horrific.  Anyone that says Dumas shouldn't qualify for federal disaster relief is denying the obvious.  Weren't Georgia and Alabama hit the next week with the same devastation?  And wasn't the prez on the ground there within 48 hours promising all federal aid that the government can muster?  The difference..??

My heart goes out to the people of Dumas.

not ray

The difference may be as easy as the fact that those 2 states have Republican governors while we have a Democrat.

Garo

Quote from: S.D. Jones on March 17, 2007, 12:21:52 pm
The difference may be as easy as the fact that those 2 states have Republican governors while we have a Democrat.
Hmmmm..I just wonder?

OUTLAWnuttmustgo

Quote from: S.D. Jones on March 17, 2007, 12:21:52 pm
Bush would never stoop that low

oh wait yes he would

MHSPANTHERS

The good folks in Dumas and concerned citizens in Arkansas should be outraged about this.  Very little has changed at FEMA since Katrina.  This is outrageous.

Beebe had asked FEMA for federal disaster assistance but the request was later denied. The denial, coupled with the nearly two weeks it took for FEMA to respond to the request, sparked outrage among elected officials and residents.

"It really galled me to see the director of FEMA with the president in Alabama and Georgia holding hands, singing 'Kumbaya' and talking about the new and improved FEMA," said U.S. Rep. Mike Ross, whose district includes the Desha County town of Dumas. "The new and improved FEMA has forgotten this Delta county."

"This new FEMA is not what it's supposed to be or not what they say it is," added Glendon Lambert, a deacon at the First Baptist Church of Dumas. "I'm very disappointed with the federal government."
http://www.disasternews.net/news/news.php?articleid=3469

not ray

You can be certain the leeches would be there for every photo op there was if this had happened in Benton or Washington counties. 

thebigshot

Why do we even have FEMA if they won't help anybody out?  Every last one of them should be FIRED !!!

Super Scrapper

Yeah, but just wait until Hillary is elected then we will have more say so in the White House again...It may come a little late for Dumas but some of those folks will pay.  Maybe we can get some back pay for them...Dumas deserves much better than what they are getting.....SS

Go Scrappers

;)

RisonRacingFan

I was told today that they gave 30 trailers to Dumas. Dont know if it is true or not. Even if it is, 30 trailers aint nothing.

Garo

Quote from: Rison Tradition on March 18, 2007, 08:30:49 pm
I was told today that they gave 30 trailers to Dumas. Dont know if it is true or not. Even if it is, 30 trailers aint nothing.
Yep it's true..I guess it's a start.  Alot of folks have lost their homes but it's a whole bunch more than 30 families.  I suppose they expect all the homeless to pile into those 30 trailers.  No other help outside of low interest loans from the fed.  Not much help if you can't pay it back.  Many of the businesses and industry there was wiped out as well along with the jobs that went with them.  Meanwhile hundreds of other trailers sit sinking in the mud in Hope but they can't send them unless Dumas is declared a federal disaster area.  And that won't happen with a democratic governor.  Don't ya just love it??

ljmom

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that the trailers actually came from Texas.  There was a problem with getting them from Hope.  Some people volunteered their services to bring them in from Texas. 

Uncle Ivan

Anyone that believes that this was done to stick it to a Democrat guv needs their head examined.

MHSPANTHERS

Quote from: President Ivan on March 19, 2007, 10:52:03 pm
Anyone that believes that this was done to stick it to a Democrat guv needs their head examined.
Ivan, the Feds sure found their way to Alabama and Georgia real quickly for photo ops though.  Any reasonable person would be asking how this happened and why Dumas was left out.  If it's not partisan politics, then it must be gross negligence and incompetence on the part of administration officials.  Dumas was devastated.

Uncle Ivan

Yeah, Bush really wants to stick it to Arkansas, being that it's a red state and all.

Here's a little reminder:

The Federal Guvment ain't there to be Mommy and Daddy. 

Beebe should free up some of that pork money that Bob Johnson and Co. are salivating over, and send it to Dumas.  Instead, he did what a typical idiot Democrat does, and whined at Bush. 

Reminds me why I voted against Beebe a couple months ago, and will continue to do so in the future.

MHSPANTHERS

Quote from: President Ivan on March 19, 2007, 11:00:33 pm
The Federal Guvment ain't there to be Mommy and Daddy. 
Except for Alabama and Georgia in this case.

The good folks of Dumas were stiffed in this situation,  All concerned citizens of Arkansas should be outraged.  Be my guest if you want to defend this incompetent and corrupt administration on this one.  Most folks are more concerned about our fellow Arkansans in Dumas.

not ray

Quote from: President Ivan on March 19, 2007, 10:52:03 pm

I wonder about that statement if the roles were reversed?  Would that Democrat President be stiffing the good citizens of Dumas?  The people of Dumas need more than just mommies and daddies.  They all need a place to lay their head down at night.  As far as they why.  Who knows?  But I'll say this.  It is pure crap that the Federal Government said no to there people.  I don't give one care in he:ll why.  It is crap. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 19, 2007, 11:09:38 pmBe my guest if you want to defend this incompetent and corrupt administration on this one.

I'd rather look into the real reasons instead of just braying the ignorant party line like you and many others are doing.

not ray

Who knows what the actual reason is.  Quite a coincidence that two republican governored states did federal aid and the Democrat on didn't.  Now what were the things aside from that to make their situations different?  I'll be honest I feel for the people in those states, but they are not Arkansans.  I sort of have a strong feeling for people of this state.  Kind of nice to have the federal government keep the state from having to use it's money. 

MHSPANTHERS

Quote from: President Ivan on March 19, 2007, 11:29:56 pm
Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 19, 2007, 11:09:38 pmBe my guest if you want to defend this incompetent and corrupt administration on this one.

I'd rather look into the real reasons instead of just braying the ignorant party line like you and many others are doing.
Boy, I don't "bray" out any party lines.  And, since you're apparently in the know, let us all in on the "real reasons" behind FEMA's decision on this one.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 19, 2007, 11:45:39 pmBoy, I don't "bray" out any party lines.  And, since you're apparently in the know, let us all in on the "real reasons" behind FEMA's decision on this one.

I ain't no boy, and I ain't your boy.

But since you're satisfied with the nutjob way of thinking that this was done to stick it to a new Dem governor, no amount of truth will change your mind on it.

MHSPANTHERS

Quote from: President Ivan on March 19, 2007, 11:47:22 pm
Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 19, 2007, 11:45:39 pmBoy, I don't "bray" out any party lines.  And, since you're apparently in the know, let us all in on the "real reasons" behind FEMA's decision on this one.

I ain't no boy, and I ain't your boy.

But since you're satisfied with the nutjob way of thinking that this was done to stick it to a new Dem governor, no amount of truth will change your mind on it.
What are the reasons; you claim to know the "real reasons" and are calling everyone else who disagrees with you "nut jobs".  Put up or shut up on this one.  This isn't partisan politics to most of us.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 19, 2007, 11:50:48 pmThis isn't partisan politics to most of us.

Why, I suppose it is, since Bush did this to stick it to Beebe, or so you say.

MHSPANTHERS

Quote from: President Ivan on March 19, 2007, 11:51:51 pm
Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 19, 2007, 11:50:48 pmThis isn't partisan politics to most of us.

Why, I suppose it is, since Bush did this to stick it to Beebe, or so you say.
The people who got it stuck to them are in Dumas.  And, no, I didn't say the adminsitration did it to stick it too Beebe.  I did say it was most likey due to incompetence.  For that, I issue no apology.  Now, what are the "real reasons", Ivan.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 19, 2007, 11:55:28 pm
Now, what are the "real reasons", Ivan.

Exactly what FEMA said.

Instead of screaming to the heavens of how it's Bush's fault, you should be calling on our illustrious governor to release more state money to help.

not ray

This is a case in which the state should not have to release money.  If it has to then so be it, but the federal government needs to pony up some money also. What is the reason why Alabama and Georgia don't have to use state funds but Arkansas does?  As I said if the roles were reversed would it be so easy just say well Huck or whomever was the R-Governor should release the money.

MHSPANTHERS

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on March 20, 2007, 12:02:18 am
This is a case in which the state should not have to release money.  If it has to then so be it, but the federal government needs to pony up some money also. What is the reason why Alabama and Georgia don't have to use state funds but Arkansas does?  As I said if the roles were reversed would it be so easy just say well Huck or whomever was the R-Governor should release the money.
Agreed again with Mr. Jones; and, on that note, good night for the evening.

Uncle Ivan

It's the state's responsibility first, then the federal government's.  Period.

not ray

Correct and for whatever reason the Feds have decided to sit it out.  I would like to know why.  Not so easy to just dismiss fellow Arkansans.  Actually, I think they  deserve every bit as much as the people in the other states.  I think it sucks to high heaven that Federal Government said no.  PERIOD.  The town I grew up in was nearly blown of the face of the earth 8 years ago. I was there and saw the aftermath.  And to this day nothing looks the same.  So many houses that I visited my friends in GONE, the church I grew up and my brother got married in gone, the firehouse (with friends of mine inside) gone).  To me this type of thing is close and personal.  There are times that the federal government should lend a hand an help out the it's citizens. 

MHSPANTHERS

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on March 20, 2007, 12:13:49 am
Correct and for whatever reason the Feds have decided to sit it out.  I would like to know why.  Not so easy to just dismiss fellow Arkansans.  Actually, I think they  deserve every bit as much as the people in the other states.  I think it sucks to high heaven that Federal Government said no.  PERIOD.  The town I grew up in was nearly blown of the face of the earth 8 years ago. I was there and saw the aftermath.  And to this day nothing looks the same.  So many houses that I visited my friends in GONE, the church I grew up and my brother got married in gone, the firehouse (with friends of mine inside) gone).  To me this type of thing is close and personal.  There are times that the federal government should lend a hand an help out the it's citizens. 
Sorry that you had to personally go through an ordeal such as this.  You understand a lot better than some of us ever could who haven't gone through such an ordeal as this.  Living in tornado alley, this could have happened to any community in our great State. That's why I'm speaking up loudly and will continue to do so.

FEMA will have to give further answers for their decision.  I'll be paying close attention for sure.  And, Sen. Mark Pryor certainly will be as well.
" Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., expressed disappointment at the denial and the delay in reaching a decision.

"It took 12 long days for FEMA to make a final decision about the disaster declaration, and it was the wrong one," Pryor said in a statement. "This agency, under the direction of President Bush, is abandoning the residents of Dumas. It is inexcusable, and deserves a thorough examination of their purpose. As a member of the Homeland Security Committee, I plan to do just that."
http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/mar/08/fema-denies-request-name-dumas-disaster-area/

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 20, 2007, 06:57:50 am" Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., expressed disappointment at the denial and the delay in reaching a decision.

"It took 12 long days for FEMA to make a final decision about the disaster declaration, and it was the wrong one," Pryor said in a statement. "This agency, under the direction of President Bush, is abandoning the residents of Dumas. It is inexcusable, and deserves a thorough examination of their purpose. As a member of the Homeland Security Committee, I plan to do just that."
http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/mar/08/fema-denies-request-name-dumas-disaster-area/

I see the Empty Suit is taking advantage of it to raise his stock among Dems.  Not surprising.

mudslog

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on March 20, 2007, 12:13:49 am

Arkansas has a 1 billion dollar surplus.   This probably was part of the reason.   The right reason?  No....

hoghigh

The areas in Alabama and Georgia had fatalities.  As far as I know, Dumas had no one killed.  When a community suffers that much grief (8 kids in one school), then people tend to go to them to help.  Alabama has a lot to rebuild with the hurricanes and then these twisters.  That is a lot of money.  The Fed's always look at where money can come from first.  They will give in only when all avenues have been exhausted. Insurance companies, local charity, state charity and last - federal help.  If we request the fed' to jump in everytime, then why do we have insurance and charity groups and a state government?  I can only compare the Dumas event to one that happened where I grew up.  My home town had a fire in the downtown area.  We lost 21 buildings along mainstreet on the south side.  Bank, shoe store, general store, and a bunch of mom and pop shops.  The state of Oklahoma asked FEMA to kick in money to help these people to start over.  FEMA said no.  The # of business destroyed did not hit the magic # - 25.  Not 25% business loss but 25 business's.  We lost 80% of the business's in town.  Since FEMA didn't help, the Oklahoma government didn't help (no matching funds under the disaster plan OK had in place).  This was with Clinton as president and a Republican Gov (Keating) for the state. I'm not sure what the FEMA rules are for aid now.  But if it is like it was then, they follow the procedures by the book.

mudslog

It is sad we have to rely on the government who is the absolute worst at managing money to help us out.   Years ago, churches and communities would band together and assist and they still do, but it appears that the government has replaced them for the most part.   Bottom line, if the churches and communities do not do it, don't expect it to get done.     

MHSPANTHERS

Quote from: President Ivan on March 21, 2007, 12:11:33 am
Quote from: MHSPANTHERS on March 20, 2007, 06:57:50 am" Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., expressed disappointment at the denial and the delay in reaching a decision.

I see the Empty Suit is taking advantage of it to raise his stock among Dems.  Not surprising.
What you apparently fail to see is the oversight responsibility of Congress involving the actions or in-actions of federal agencies.  Something which the administration pretty much did not have to face during the last six years. Well, those days are over as the American people voted for a change and new Congressional leadership this past election.  Like it or not, accountability is now the order of the day.

Even Congressman Boozman has expressed concerns about FEMA's recent decision in regards to Dumas as he stated that Congress may need to re-evaluate guidelines for federal disaster relief.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas